Returning Back To Thailand From Usa With Thai Retirement Visa

Hello,

I am going back to the USA for a couple of weeks. I am a US citizen. I have a Thai Retirement visa stamp on my passport. Does anyone know if I can just book a one way ticket back to Thailand without any problems? Or do I need to get a round trip ticket?

Thanks in advance

Robert

Edited by rskdev

If you have a retirment extension, make sure that you have a reentry permit. single - 1000 abht, multiple 3800 baht. If you leave without a reentry permit your extension of stay will be cancelled when you leave. You need the rentry permit to keep your current extension of stay valid. If you have a multiple entry O-A visa issued in the US that is still valid then you do not need a reentry permit.

In either case a one way ticket will be no priblem.

Actually it can be a problem as some/many check in agents will not have a clue what a re-entry permit is. You may have to explain it is your visa and that might have to go to a higher level but in the end all should be fine. Just be sure they get the idea is is your visa for entry and that you will not be entering without a visa.

Actually it can be a problem as some/many check in agents will not have a clue what a re-entry permit is. You may have to explain it is your visa and that might have to go to a higher level but in the end all should be fine. Just be sure they get the idea is is your visa for entry and that you will not be entering without a visa.

Using the USA as an example, that's a very significant risk at smaller airports. e.g. You might be booked on "UA" (United AIrlines) from Bismark to Bangkok, but the "UA" flight from Bismarck is actually a United Express flight operated by SkyWest Aviation. The Skywest agent at Bismarck who checks you in is responsible for verifying your documentation. If they are the only one on duty and are inexperienced, it may not be as easy to convince them you don't need a return ticket out of Thailand with an extension and re-entry permit than say, at a major UA hub like San Francisco or Chicago.

On a recent trip, I checked in at Chicago for a ORD-NRT-BKK trip with UA at a self-service kiosk. It gave a message to find a UA agent to swipe their badge and verify my documentation. I found a pleasant UA chap, he swiped his badge, and then the kiosk REQUIRED him to enter my flight information for a return flight out of Thailand. He understood that I had a visa (well, actually an extension, but I called it a visa to keep it simple). The kiosk had no override, no other option other than entering my non-existent, and not-required departure info from Thailand. So, he directed me to a check-in counter for me to be checked-in manually. The agent I got there also got the screen that required a return date/flight info, but she was experienced enough to do some overrides -- and it took a couple minutes -- and she was then able to check me in.

You can see that a more remote outstation at a smaller United Express carrier with high turnover, there might be a sticking point there. I'm sure *eventually* it'll be resolved, but travel is stressful enough.