Companies In Thailand Face A Mounting Threat Of Fraud And Cybercrime

webfact

CRIMES

Thailand's fraud on the rise

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Companies in Thailand face a mounting threat of fraud and cybercrime, with 35 per cent reporting major fraud in the past 12 months, and respondents expecting an increase over the next three to five years, according to PwC's first-ever Thailand Economic Crime Survey.

Businesses need to be pre-emptive and put in place fraud prevention measures such as whistleblower programmes and proper monitoring of bidding and procurement. Without these things, Thailand can prove a high-risk place to do business, according to Sira Intarakumthornchai, CEO for PwC Thailand.

"Thai businesses are expected to see a rising trend of complex embezzlement, corruption and IT-related crimes over the next three to five years," Sira said. "We expect to see fraud risk grow in coming years unless businesses meet the challenge head-on."

PwC publishes an annual global Economic Crime Survey and this first-ever Thailand survey gives businesses a new tool to address risk in the Kingdom. The survey shows that economic crime - the so-called white-collar crime - takes many forms in Thailand. Anti-competitive practices, including price fixing, bid rigging or market sharing, were reported by 25 per cent of respondents - over triple the global average; and 79 per cent said fraud was internal, against 56 per cent globally.

Of internal fraudsters, Thai respondents said more than 80 per cent were in senior and middle management. The study polled businesses and found a growing trend of embezzlement, computer hacking and asset misappropriation, placing Thailand above global threat levels.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-19

It is a problem indeed. When I tried to make a payment for an important service by PayPal, they promptly suspended my account, causing me to lose the deal!!

Why, to protect my account from fraud because the money was to be paid to someone in Thailand!

It took a week of emails to get the account restored.

My debit card for a UK bank account recently expired, waiting for the new one to arrive it soon became obvious that something was up as the date was now well passed the expiry of the card.

I contacted the bank & they said a new one had automatically been sent 1 month before the expiry date, this I immediately cancelled & another new one was requested, this didn't arrive either, so a couple of months later, again after many calls to UK it transpired that the bank sent a request to the issuing office to manufacture & send a card. However after a few more calls to different people at the issuing branch I was finally informed that Thailand is on a black list & it will not send anything like a debit/credit card via the postal system to Thailand.

In the end I had to have the card delivered to my account holding branch in the UK, have a designated person pick it up from there with passport identification, they then posted it to me with a tracking system, but the bank said it wouldn't cover any transactions on this card if I claimed them to be fraudulent.

Edited by fareastguy

It is a problem indeed. When I tried to make a payment for an important service by PayPal, they promptly suspended my account, causing me to lose the deal!!

Why, to protect my account from fraud because the money was to be paid to someone in Thailand!

Paypal problems

Search

About 344,000,000 results.

I know many Thai people that use PayPal without any problems. Maybe there was another issue with your account.

I know many Thai people that use PayPal without any problems. Maybe there was another issue with your account.

Nope, no other issues. Normally my transactions had been from my Spanish base and they had no idea that I would be in Thailand.

Just a knee jerk reaction I think.

I remember that when I first moved to Spain quite a few years ago, my UK bank phoned my UK mobile to check that it really was me that had just spent lots of money in a big supermarket a few minutes earlier.

Maybe they have software that automatically raises warning flags?

few years ago

They do. It had become a major problem for me, as the credit card companies kept putting holds on my transactions (and my card).Now I rarely use a credit card. But for those few times I do, it is usually for a fairly large transaction. So, to head off any problems, I give customer service a call and inform them I am in Thailand and I am going to be making a purchase of around $x. I tell them what it is, how much it will be and about when I intend to complete the transaction. Once I started to pre-notify the credit card company, my transactions have gone through without a problem.

• Like 1

They do. It had become a major problem for me, as the credit card companies kept putting holds on my transactions (and my card).Now I rarely use a credit card. But for those few times I do, it is usually for a fairly large transaction. So, to head off any problems, I give customer service a call and inform them I am in Thailand and I am going to be making a purchase of around $x. I tell them what it is, how much it will be and about when I intend to complete the transaction. Once I started to pre-notify the credit card company, my transactions have gone through without a problem.

Yup, I did the same thing. Prob solved.

It just came as a Big surprise the first time it happened.

>>>>snip/paste>>>> BANGKOK: -- Companies in Thailand face a mounting threat of fraud and cybercrime, with 35 per cent reporting major fraud in the past 12 months, and respondents expecting an increase over the next three to five years, according to PwC's first-ever Thailand Economic Crime Survey.<<<<<<< done

I see here that it says PwC's first-ever Thailand Economic Crime Survey. Is this the beginning of more watchdog services that can actually do SOMETHING?????? How about starting with the local level (TAO - Aw Baw Taw) - I mean after all, these folks are the lowest on the totem pole and law in Thailand works from bottom-up... so why not slap some major fines and throw a few of these folks in jail?? THEN, work their way up to the top dogs....

I had a problem last year when I was here for a month. Everytime I tried to use my American Express card it was declined. I did not have wi-fi, so I never checked email. When I got home there was an email from American Express that someone was trying to use my card in Thailand. Yes, me! I now tell all my banks where I am if I plan on using any of their services while I live here.

• Like 1

If your cards were improperly used then you'd be shouting from the roof tops!

It is worldwide credit card security that if you don't inform your CC company you will be abroad then they will block transactions, for your own security!

If you can't be bothered to call them to let them know where you are, or will be, then it is only through self-fault that transactions are blocked. If you try three transactions without informing them then you'll be lucky if the card is not cancelled, and to have to go through weeks of pain to get a new one.

It is little to do with listed countries, as some pertain to. I've had expired cards sent to me in Thailand, China and Laos without a single problem, simply because I bothered to tell them where I was and my durations of stay.

-mel.

• Like 1

Thailand can prove a high-risk place to do business, according to Sira Intarakumthornchai, CEO for PwC Thailand.

Talk about stating the bloody obvious!

Earlier this year I had my card cloned whilst using it IN A BANK! Lucky for me I discovered an unauthorized 15,000 Baht transaction within a few hours, contacted my bank and eventually had the money returned.

There is no real confidence in using 'electronic money' not only in Thailand but most of Asia. I think that they are (slowly) waking up and realizing that they are losing a lot of 'on line' business.

What makes me laugh is that when I travel around Thailand I contact a hotel requesting to book a room they ask for my credit card details I always refuse saying, "This is Thailand I don't give my credit card details out over the phone" the response is always the same, "OK sir I understand, just send an e mail confirmation".

It seems to me that a lot of business understand and except the lack of confidence/distrust Westerners have in using 'electronic money' in their country.

My debit card for a UK bank account recently expired, waiting for the new one to arrive it soon became obvious that something was up as the date was now well passed the expiry of the card.

I contacted the bank & they said a new one had automatically been sent 1 month before the expiry date, this I immediately cancelled & another new one was requested, this didn't arrive either, so a couple of months later, again after many calls to UK it transpired that the bank sent a request to the issuing office to manufacture & send a card. However after a few more calls to different people at the issuing branch I was finally informed that Thailand is on a black list & it will not send anything like a debit/credit card via the postal system to Thailand.

In the end I had to have the card delivered to my account holding branch in the UK, have a designated person pick it up from there with passport identification, they then posted it to me with a tracking system, but the bank said it wouldn't cover any transactions on this card if I claimed them to be fraudulent.

I suggest you change banks. I've had debit and credit cards posted to Thailand from three different UK banks, and all arrived within a few days. I've been here almost 3 years and have never had anything go missing in the post. That includes goods posted to me from UK and USA, and also goods posted by me to the UK.

The bottom line is that if a particular bank doesn't want your business, then take your business to a bank that's happy to serve you.

Why can't your bank send the card via a secure and insured service?

I had one card canceled on me. I called and asked what the problem was and they asked if I had made a $1 purchase a few weeks earlier in Australia and if I had they would reactivate it. Of course I had not so they sent me a new one here in Thailand with a delivery service. That was coming from Canada. I had it in four days.

Thailand can prove a high-risk place to do business, according to Sira Intarakumthornchai, CEO for PwC Thailand.

Earlier this year I had my card cloned whilst using it IN A BANK! Lucky for me I discovered an unauthorized 15,000 Baht transaction within a few hours, contacted my bank and eventually had the money returned.

There is no real confidence in using 'electronic money' not only in Thailand but most of Asia. I think that they are (slowly) waking up and realizing that they are losing a lot of 'on line' business.

What makes me laugh is that when I travel around Thailand I contact a hotel requesting to book a room they ask for my credit card details I always refuse saying, "This is Thailand I don't give my credit card details out over the phone" the response is always the same, "OK sir I understand, just send an e mail confirmation".

It seems to me that a lot of business understand and except the lack of confidence/distrust Westerners have in using 'electronic money' in their country.

Interesting. I use my card every month in the bank to get enough cash for the month. The machine is behind the counter and I don't even go near it. They run the card through and bring me over a receipt to sign.

Any one cloning that card would easily be identified. I then go home and transfer enough funds to cover the withdrawal on my credit card.

If your cards were improperly used then you'd be shouting from the roof tops!

It is worldwide credit card security that if you don't inform your CC company you will be abroad then they will block transactions, for your own security!

If you can't be bothered to call them to let them know where you are, or will be, then it is only through self-fault that transactions are blocked. If you try three transactions without informing them then you'll be lucky if the card is not cancelled, and to have to go through weeks of pain to get a new one.

It is little to do with listed countries, as some pertain to. I've had expired cards sent to me in Thailand, China and Laos without a single problem, simply because I bothered to tell them where I was and my durations of stay.

-mel.

Ah, quite so Sir, now I know this I do it.

I made my post to warn others and possibly save them from making the same mistake as me. smile.png

Interesting. I use my card every month in the bank to get enough cash for the month. The machine is behind the counter and I don't even go near it. They run the card through and bring me over a receipt to sign.

Any one cloning that card would easily be identified. I then go home and transfer enough funds to cover the withdrawal on my credit card.

Should have mentioned that it was a debit card, B of A investigated it and concluded that the unauthorized transaction was made at the (Thai) bank! That is all the information/feedback I was given, although I got the impression that they (B of A) were not over surprised.

When I first came to Thailand I had my pension paid directly into a Thai bank, I can honestly say that at least twice every year it would not arrive and I would have to cancel and have it resent.

My bank tracked the payment(s) to the 'Thai banks central' office in Bangkok where it was inadvertently deposited into the wrong account, not once but at least 4 times! Ergo I now do not have a Thai bank account.......lolsmile.png

Thailand a hub of home based botched crime, extortion and fraud. As long as it involves carrying a big stick and using it to beat money out of you Thailand will remain world masters.

However, as electronic money replaces the stuff we used to carry in our wallets, then Thailand is in serious danger of dropping off the 'do not do business with' list.

I blame the education system for not educating enough graduates in the art of technological identity theft. If a generation of Thais miss out on the opportunity to commit cyber theft due to not understanding and abusing a university education, then what hope is there of Thailand retaining it's place as a world hub of corruption? Very little I would argue.

We already know that the Russians have cornered the market in credit card cloning; the Chinese master the art of malwear invasion, and we accept and expect this abuse from a dictatorial superpower. Yet the Thais have a dictatorship in the Shinawatra's, a corrupt family who sold Thailand's telecommunications industry to the Koreans [or whoever cared to pay most] and you'd think with such a bunch of amoral parasitic blood suckers at the top that they would at the very least sponsor several hundred computer savvy grads in honing their hacking skills.

Thailand needs to invest heavily in cyber crime if it is going to compete with the Nigerians and their 'plane crash my uncle is National Gold Bullion treasuer' . And yet this is clearly an area where they already lose out through not having adequate English language skills as we saw earlier today when Yingluck Shinawatra starn..gul..led her way towards confirming 'it the financial economy way balance ordinary that the progress'. But then why let verbs get in the way?

I'm still wondering how the New York Times is going to squeeze a headline, let alone a story, out of that one.

No. I think we just have to accept that while Canadians are best cutting down trees and Australians doing something to a sheep they call 'Brenda' and usually after dark and a few tinnies, then the Thais are best left to tea money, crude and rude, even on a grand scale.

It's not rocket science to figure just what is keeping Shinawatra number 1 out of the country. The cross hairs landing on his chest would be as certain as grease following palm, although in reality I envisage a large ticking object being under him and most every one else within a hundred yard radius. It's certainly not brains that are ticking away in Thailand.

So there we are back to big sticks, rude an crude, and light years from anything as sophisticated as a keyboard, a plan and an untraceable electronic transfer.

• Like 1

I had a problem last year when I was here for a month. Everytime I tried to use my American Express card it was declined. I did not have wi-fi, so I never checked email. When I got home there was an email from American Express that someone was trying to use my card in Thailand. Yes, me! I now tell all my banks where I am if I plan on using any of their services while I live here.

If you ever have an AMEX Declined call them immediately, they will turn it back on after a few questions.

More often there are phone system connection issues that are Thailand based, not the AMEX systems issue.

Been using one here for many years.