Big Crash!

dogpoo

My first accident here in Thailand happened a little while ago, driving along with my step daughter on the back at 40kph, I saw a young lad waiting and indicating to turn right(he was coming out from his place of work, I thought nothing of it, at the last second he pulled out and we hit at 40kph, Big Bang, lots of glass flying everywhere, daughter falls off to the side and I go forward but manage to stay upright, no injuries other than young lad gash to his leg and a small cut to my right knee, people in his work were fantastic, gave the boy a right good talking too! Asked us if we were okay and said they would take our bike to be checked and any parts replaced, they could not apologize enough!! Now thinking about not driving a bike here again, the only thing that saved us from serious injury or worse was our low speed, we were both wearing helmets whereas the young lad was not!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky you two!

Sounds like the 'usual' attention thing:

Watch to the right, nothing coming

Watch to the left, something coming, something coming, something.......,

Then from the left it's 'good', so can go.But forgot about, that it is 30 seconds ago, to check the right.

Same with dogs, you never know, what they see on the other side!

I still like my loud horn, that I use every now and then.

Actually I start even driving in junctions with a horn signal, first. Like it is written in the land traffic act. whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

Lucky you two!

Sounds like the 'usual' attention thing:

Watch to the right, nothing coming

Watch to the left, something coming, something coming, something.......,

Then from the left it's 'good', so can go.But forgot about, that it is 30 seconds ago, to check the right.

Same with dogs, you never know, what they see on the other side!

I still like my loud horn, that I use every now and then.

Actually I start even driving in junctions with a horn signal, first. Like it is written in the land traffic act. whistling.gif

Oh we'll no serious injury and the people were just great, no cost to me as the people are paying for all repairs, actually virtually no damage to my Suzuki Skydrive other than lots of scrapes on the front panels and ignition key bent in half!! do I want to continue driving bikes I am now thinking about giving it up and sticking to the car!

You got to expect the unexpected over here and be ready to take evasive action when required ,you done well and saw him positioned in advance you just failed the expect the unexpected part never mind glad no-one was injured.

I see what you are saying but we were literally only a few feet away from him when he pulled out, no one on this planet could have avoided it, as I have said before speed kills, I always drive at sensible speeds, if I had been driving at 60/80 kph I think we would both be in hospital!!

You got to expect the unexpected over here and be ready to take evasive action when required ,you done well and saw him positioned in advance you just failed the expect the unexpected part never mind glad no-one was injured.

I see what you are saying but we were literally only a few feet away from him when he pulled out, no one on this planet could have avoided it, as I have said before speed kills, I always drive at sensible speeds, if I had been driving at 60/80 kph I think we would both be in hospital!!

IMO the secret for choosing the right speed is:

Drive slow on smaller streets, drive fast on bigger streets :)

If you are driving 80kmh on a small city street you are an idiot. If you drive 40kmh on a big street (like the Bangna-Trat) you are an idiot too. Stay in flow with the surrounding traffic is the key for choosing the right speed.

Guess there is no chance to avoid such accident. Best you can do is use helmet and gloves and put on some thicker clothes like jean trowsers and jacket. Or wear real safety gear.

Just dont give up riding a bike that easily.

First of all, it is not your fault.

Second, it is an accident and can happen anywhere in this world.

Third, if you buy a car and if they crash you, will you give up driving a car as well?

Just be realistic and continue riding.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I love driving my bikes so will continue to do so.

• Like 1

Third, if you buy a car and if they crash you, will you give up driving a car as well?

No, but he will complain about, that he (his car insurance?) will have to pay for the bike-jerk. Because hitting the bike with the car will send the driver to hospital!

Question:

You saw the guy waiting. How long didn't he look into your direction?

People on a bike, you can see the head moving. If I'm not sure, he/she still has me 'in mind': honk-onyellow.gif

A Car, not only with tinted side windows, watch the wheels! Any moving there: honk-onyellow.gif

And not a 'honk', but a 'hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk'!

Safety first!

And yes, neither bike, nor car has the normal horn!

Edited by noob7

IMO the secret for choosing the right speed is:

Drive slow on smaller streets, drive fast on bigger streets :)

If you are driving 80kmh on a small city street you are an idiot. If you drive 40kmh on a big street (like the Bangna-Trat) you are an idiot too. Stay in flow with the surrounding traffic is the key for choosing the right speed.

Guess there is no chance to avoid such accident. Best you can do is use helmet and gloves and put on some thicker clothes like jean trowsers and jacket. Or wear real safety gear.

Yes you are right, I always keep up with the traffic, I always do between 40/60kph on smaller roads and faster on bigger roads providing it is clear!!

No, but he will complain about, that he (his car insurance?) will have to pay for the bike-jerk. Because hitting the bike with the car will send the driver to hospital!

Question:

People on a bike, you can see the head moving. If I'm not sure, he/she still has me 'in mind': honk-onyellow.gif

A Car, not only with tinted side windows, watch the wheels! Any moving there: honk-onyellow.gif

Safety first!

He was looking at us or appeared to be looking at us, there was a big concrete column,the ones that hold the power cables outside the premises, I guess this could have blocked his view for a split second, I don't know what he was thinking!! anyway all has turned out okay!!

He was looking at us or appeared to be looking at us, there was a big concrete column,the ones that hold the power cables outside the premises, I guess this could have blocked his view for a split second, I don't know what he was thinking!! anyway all has turned out okay!!

So you haven't had eye contact, right?

That is to handle as 'he did not see me'!

One of the points, you should learn in a driving school.

That's why I handle all cars with black glasses like 'They never looked into my direction'.

Motorcycles driver with black visor or sunglasses also.

And no eye contact means:

honk-large.gif

Question:

Safety first!

Thai style is to use loud pipes for this, not horns biggrin.png

So you haven't had eye contact, right?

That is to handle as 'he did not see me'!

One of the points, you should learn in a driving school.

That's why I handle all cars with black glasses like 'They never looked into my direction'.

Motorcycles driver with black visor or sunglasses also.

And no eye contact means:

honk-large.gif

He pulled out at the last second, no one could have avoided it!! It was an accident pure and simple, I don't drive with the purpose of looking at peoples eyes, he made a mistake like thousands do, it's life!! It does not matter how good a driver you are at some point it will happen the question is how bad will it be!!

I have been driving for over 40 yrs and never been involved with anything serious just a couple of minor non fault accidents,I know how to drive!!

Edited by dogpoo

As for the holier than thou brigade, 'you have to honk, you have to flash, you have to blah blah blah.' They must spend a helluva lot of time honking at things if they honk at everything that may possibly jump out in front of them. wink.png

What a shower of tw@ts. biggrin.png

Edited by cbrer

Question:

Safety first!

Thai style is to use loud pipes for this, not horns biggrin.png

But even with the loudest pipe, they react the wanted way, if you honk with a 'big car horn' at them! clap2.gif

The one or the other, wanted to cut a curve (and my line), stopped trying that, till I passed them!

Question:

Safety first!

Hahahah.

Man yeah. I dont like to use horn in Thailand but always honk if the wheel of the cars moves on the side. I m sorry but i want to ride longer years man

Also eye contact is a key as well.

And i m also always over precautious for tinted windows and helmets n glasses.

And always change the lane to left if i see a young lad on a 2 stroke or fino on the side of the road.:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

He pulled out at the last second, no one could have avoided it!! It was an accident pure and simple, I don't drive with the purpose of looking at peoples eyes, he made a mistake like thousands do, it's life!! It does not matter how good a driver you are at some point it will happen the question is how bad will it be!!

I have been driving for over 40 yrs and never been involved with anything serious just a couple of minor non fault accidents,I know how to drive!!

The purpose isn't, to look at his eyes, the purpose is, to establish the eye contact! Only with eye contact, you can be sure, he saw you.

Like I said, it's one of the first things, you learn in a motorcycle driving school. Normally!

And i do not say, you don't know, how to drive!

It only looks like, you don't know, how to drive a bit more safe!

Vehicles on the side of the road, waiting for crossing it/your drive path

(I like the people, driving to the left, stopping and waiting, that they can cross 2/4 lanes, in one time, instead of 1/2 lanes, waiting at the median line)

are the most dangerous people for someone on 2 wheels. In case, you cant establish any eye contact, and don't react on that (driving slower, changing to the outer lane or honk, you are endangering yourself!

But you do know, that the people of LOS aren't the strongest by the rules player, anyway, right?

btw: How old is your daughter? I guess, she's old enough, to sit behind daddy and can reach the footrest, right?

The purpose isn't, to look at his eyes, the purpose is, to establish the eye contact! Only with eye contact, you can be sure, he saw you.

Like I said, it's one of the first things, you learn in a motorcycle driving school. Normally!

And i do not say, you don't know, how to drive!

It only looks like, you don't know, how to drive a bit more safe!

Vehicles on the side of the road, waiting for crossing it/your drive path

(I like the people, driving to the left, stopping and waiting, that they can cross 2/4 lanes, in one time, instead of 1/2 lanes, waiting at the median line)

are the most dangerous people for someone on 2 wheels. In case, you cant establish any eye contact, and don't react on that (driving slower, changing to the outer lane or honk, you are endangering yourself!

But you do know, that the people of LOS aren't the strongest by the rules player, anyway, right?

btw: How old is your daughter? I guess, she's old enough, to sit behind daddy and can reach the footrest, right?

Yes she is 11 so big enough to ride as a passenger on a bike and in a car, feel free to drive looking at every ones eyes but not on the road, I will keep driving the way I do which is blame free for over 40 yrs!! I think you could call that safe driving!!

How do you make eye contact with a car who has tinted windows or a motorbike rider who has a tinted visor?

Edited by dogpoo

As for the holier than thou brigade, 'you have to honk, you have to flash, you have to blah blah blah.' They must spend a helluva lot of time honking at things if they honk at everything that may possibly jump out in front of them. wink.png

What a shower of tw@ts. biggrin.png

And then the advice gets thrown around how not to 'honk' for fear of starting a road rage incident.

Either on a bike or in a car the levels of Road Education in Thailand are lacking to such a degree that some accidents are impossible to avoid when out riding or driving. I don't think defensive driving can help in some cases, this appears to be one example.

The incidence of these accidents is far higher in Thailand than from where most of us originate or grew up. For this reason alone I won't ride a bike in Thailand. I can't fall off my car which also has seat belts and air bags.

Understandably however people make their own choices for their own reasons.

I honked a guy on my bike as his big ford truck was about to pull out in front of me. He pulled out after me horn blowing right up my ass shouting wanke_r out the window...bit irrelevant post but that guy was a wanke_r if the highest order... Parks in Bronte road and an old fella if anyone knows him to tell him...

I honked a guy on my bike as his big ford truck was about to pull out in front of me. He pulled out after me horn blowing right up my ass shouting wanke_r out the window...bit irrelevant post but that guy was a wanke_r if the highest order... Parks in Bronte road and an old fella if anyone knows him to tell him...

Is Bronte road in Thailand?

Yep you got to be a bit careful with your horn over here ,the one time I used the horn because dome idiot stopped his car in the middle of the road while he looked out his window to see what fruit they were selling on side of road ,he got out his car called me a dick hard and threatened to shoot me ,I just laughed at him.

Last week someone was saying how he honked his horn at a silver minivan in Phuket and the bloke got out and punched him in the face,so be warned now i only use the horn when I'm in a rage and always ready to get out and have it with the guy