Legalities Of Owning (Using) An Air-Gun In Thailand

jcw

I have bought one recently, no problem, no licence, NOT allowed to carry in public because they resemble the real thing too much.

Fine for shooting the hard plastic BB pellets. I use for pest control too, even shot a snake at 2 meters and stopped it dead, literally.

I have the pneumatic, aerosol can fill type. Does a great job but range about 10 meters.

Believe the correct term here is "air-soft" guns.

post-109645-0-25931900-1353387836_thumb.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

According to the info I've seen presented by a vendor of such air guns, they're perfectly legal to own and use as long as you don't carry them around concealed, you don't use metal projectiles, you don't convert them to CO2, and you don't use them to torture animals. Those are the issues my weak brain stored away- there may have been more. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

Given the last criteria and the way Thais treat the soi dogs here, I suspect you may get ratted out by passers-by if you were to use it for your intended purpose.

I have a freon operated pistol and I just use it to poke holes in a cardboard box in my apartment. Kinda fun, but not nearly as satisfying as the the real thing...

The spring powered air soft guns are crap, I had one for shooting street dogs that kept coming into my garden and unless you are real close they are not accurate or very powerful. It also fell to bits pretty quickly and whenever I epoxy'd it back together another part of the gun would break soon after.

I would buy the aerosol powered type as they seem to be much more powerful and better built.

Being spring loaded, is it a fire arm though?

Technically, it is not a firearm, because there is no explosion. However, the BIB can call it what they want. The plastic BB’s or Airsoft are not very accurate past a few meters IMHO. For soi dogs I will agree that a slingshot might be best. Not nearly as much fun, but best.

• Like 1

According to the info I've seen presented by a vendor of such air guns, they're perfectly legal to own and use as long as you don't carry them around concealed, you don't use metal projectiles, you don't convert them to CO2, and you don't use them to torture animals. Those are the issues my weak brain stored away- there may have been more. I'll post the link if I can find it again.

From http://thailandairsoft.com/ perhaps ?

Thai Law as it stands today:

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• The gun hasn’t been modified to use CO2.

• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.

• When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

• The gun can’t be used to commit a crime or torture animals.

The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

• Like 2

After reading about the german who stabbed a dog to death - 17 knife wounds - I'd recommend learning to ignore the dogs.

Any farang with any gun in Thailand is asking for trouble no matter what the actual circumstances or law may be.

Wave a stick, shout or throw stones at your peril as some Thai will take objection to your actions [ Temple dogs? Are you serious?] and then your life will not be your own.

Think about it.

Carefully.

Those are the issues my weak brain stored away- there may have been more.

“Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:

• When carrying the gun outside of the owner’s property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.

Dang. I forgot that you can't use them to commit crimes. My brain does leak...

Thanks for the link.

Please report back here once you or one of your children has been attacked by a wild dog while you stood quietly by trying to appease your local neighbours. Let us know how you feel after that.

Do you seriously think an air pistol that throws out little plastic pellets will faze the dog whilst it is attack mode ?

In short, the gun must be spring powered to be legal. sad.png

After putting in 170 concrete fence post, barbed wire 6 strings high at 20cm intervals apart (height) and where the dogs come in I have installed 200m of shade clots over the barbed wire fence to keep these mungrals out, I have had enough of these dogs coming in and terrorizing my kids, biting me drawing blood 3 times now, the come right up to the front door and piss on it and their urine comes inside through the fly screen.

Last year I snapped the necks of two temple dogs, that was before the fence was put up. They attack my dogs, a pack of them come and cause havoc. After they have bitten me, the peoples house where they live dis-claimed ownership of them, suprise - suprise, how convient !!!

It is my misses who want to shoot them more than me. I can see issues of her wondering around taking pot shots at them, and effectively not making much difference. I have decided that in 2 weeks time I am going to take the family away with my dogs, and leave some "special flavored pork" at the front door.

I have been reluctant to do that, as I don't want one of these attacking mungrals to bury it and a nice dog to find it later. One of the neighbors dog, although it is annoying, they try to control it somewhat. It has had two big wounds from the pack of vicious mungrals going to its house and attacking it. I didn't want it to get the "special tasty pork" intended for the pack of attacking dogs.

Edited by jcw

Mate, I totaly empathise with you. Im a dog lover and have a smashing dog of my own - well trained and good temprament - but the soi dogs etc can go to hell for all i care. I used to love walking my dog back home in England but here its just a nightmare.... I have to walk around with a bloody huge stick and I am constantly getting into rows.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is the locals attitude to me walking to dog. If I walk past a house that has like 10 dogs outside, unchained and free to do what they want, all hell breaks lose. The 'owners' give me a look as if to say "how dare you walk your dog past my house and cause all this noise".

Your issue is worse as they are coming right up to your property and temple dogs are usualy the most aggresive.

My solution:

Shooting them is a bad idea. The locals will object to this and it may cause issues going forward. Also surely there must be some bad karma that goes with killing 'temple' dogs lol.... The monks for sure will not be too chuffed about it.

What I would do is buy up a few backs of sleeping pills from the vets. Human sleeping pills may not work so go to the vets and ask there. Spike some lovely cooked chicken meat with the pills. Dont go crazy... As I said you dont want to kill them.... Just enough to ensure the dogs will be KO for a while. As and when they start to drop, gather them up and throw them in the back of a truck. Drive 20 clicks out into the country, find a place that is as remote as possible (it wouldnt be nice to dump them around some other peoples houses obviously) and leave them. Fill a few bowls of dog food, place down and take a photo of the muts eating.

Keep a big pack of dog food and keep at home. if anyone does come to your house yakking you about it you can show them the dog food and proclaim that once a week you drive out there and leave some food for them. Show them the photo you took to back this up. Obviously this isnt true but it will help you to look like less of the "evil crazy ferang" if looks like you are looking out for them a little.

Its a bit of a convoluted mission but thats how I would do it anyway.

You need to do something for sure. The previous house that i rented was the nicest house I have ever had in Thailand in a real nice spot with brilliant views but it was made hell by the constant barking and fighting of soi dogs and and old lady over the orad had 22 poodles which just didnt stop barking. It was total hell living there because of this.

Edited by thelongshoot

Not true, mine is a Gas pistol (Green Gas) but I can purchase a co2 conversion for it.

• Like 1

Not true, mine is a Gas pistol (Green Gas) but I can purchase a co2 conversion for it.

Not to be used for torturing animals....even Thai dogs have rites.

Mate, I totaly empathise with you. Im a dog lover and have a smashing dog of my own - well trained and good temprament - but the soi dogs etc can go to hell for all i care. I used to love walking my dog back home in England but here its just a nightmare.... I have to walk around with a bloody huge stick and I am constantly getting into rows.

One of the things that pisses me off the most is the locals attitude to me walking to dog. If I walk past a house that has like 10 dogs outside, unchained and free to do what they want, all hell breaks lose. The 'owners' give me a look as if to say "how dare you walk your dog past my house and cause all this noise".

Your issue is worse as they are coming right up to your property and temple dogs are usualy the most aggresive.

My solution:

Shooting them is a bad idea. The locals will object to this and it may cause issues going forward. Also surely there must be some bad karma that goes with killing 'temple' dogs lol.... The monks for sure will not be too chuffed about it.

What I would do is buy up a few backs of sleeping pills from the vets. Human sleeping pills may not work so go to the vets and ask there. Spike some lovely cooked chicken meat with the pills. Dont go crazy... As I said you dont want to kill them.... Just enough to ensure the dogs will be KO for a while. As and when they start to drop, gather them up and throw them in the back of a truck. Drive 20 clicks out into the country, find a place that is as remote as possible (it wouldnt be nice to dump them around some other peoples houses obviously) and leave them. Fill a few bowls of dog food, place down and take a photo of the muts eating.

Keep a big pack of dog food and keep at home. if anyone does come to your house yakking you about it you can show them the dog food and proclaim that once a week you drive out there and leave some food for them. Show them the photo you took to back this up. Obviously this isnt true but it will help you to look like less of the "evil crazy ferang" if looks like you are looking out for them a little.

You need to do something for sure. The previous house that i rented was the nicest house I have ever had in Thailand in a real nice spot with brilliant views but it was made hell by the constant barking and fighting of soi dogs and and old lady over the orad had 22 poodles which just didnt stop barking. It was total hell living there because of this.

Are you serious about "What I would do is buy up a few backs of sleeping pills from the vets."

And just what kind of sleeping pills are these for dogs and not humans?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

I have been told, killing just 2 or 3 of them will give them a whole new perspective on you, your property and things they find on your property. Once this is done the pack will become what trappers call "bait shy" If this offends your sensibilities, try buying a good air pistol (about 10'000B) load it with steal shot, Use a motor bike (at night, with your friend driving) and blast away for a few nights. This will cause what hunters call "gun shy" keep the pistol hidden and keep moving when shooting. If you choose to bait them, use golf ball size meat cuts. Bait without toxin each night for 7 nights, then on the 8th night (time it with a full moon) dye the meat balls with blue die first then add correct amount of toxin. Each bait will kill 1 dog within minutes. So 20 baits will look like Armageddon. If you choose this method take 12 months to make it look a little natural. If the dogs get smart "bait shy" bait without toxin longer. Remember dogs don't bury golf ball cuts of meat they just wolf it down. Some people call these methods a community service and other a crime against nature, so you'll need to refrain from chatting about it with anyone. To get the pack leader, use a double trap and lock a in heat bitch in one side and let the other side catch the pack leader. Make the pack leader "disappear" before first light.

Edited by manly100
  • Like 1

My solution:

Are you serious about "What I would do is buy up a few backs of sleeping pills from the vets."

And just what kind of sleeping pills are these for dogs and not humans?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Have you ever gave Xanex to a dog? It does not work. Valium? Just makes them mental. There are specific sleeping pills for dogs other than the human variety and thats why I suggested so. <deleted>.

• 2 weeks later...