Issarn Farmers Meeting No. 7

irrigator

Dead right Irrigator, what is done is done. So who will it be next or again? I know of two hosts who would anti up again, me included.

The group of people that have attended these meetings represent the actual cross section of Farming Forum readers and posters. We have silly buggers like me trying to make a living farming here, others that are content funding their spouses and families do the same thing and we have those that are employed in other areas but planning their future around a farming based future. That is what attracts me and should do others.

So new blood anyone? We will all bring a chair if needed!

As mentioned in post #9 John Clements and I yesterday visited the Royal Development Study Centre at Puparn. This is located about 3km off route no. 213 about 6km south east of Sakon Nakhon. The turn off is at a village called Ban Na Kum.

The place would be of interest to many members as they do research into all different branches of farming including: agriculture, irrigation, fishery, livestock, soil, forestry and integrated farming techniques; so we could learn a lot from them. A scan of their English language brochure describing what they do is attached. There is a map of how to find them at the end of the brochure.

They can arrange a half day tour around their facility. They would take the party round in their "tourist train" with a guide. At each different study site they would stop and explain what they are doing etc. tentative plan would be to start at 1pm until 4pm. If it was a Saturday we would have to pay baht 1,500 overtime for the driver and guide and there would not be so many staff working at the different sites, so a Friday would be a better option. We suggested 25 January 2013 which they could do. (I know this clashes with Ubon hash but we cannot all arrange our lives around Ubon hash!)

We found a resort (short time variety) a further 19km along route 213 towards Kalasin. We also found a sort of garden resort / restaurant 5 km past the resort. They have a number of timber salas in their grounds which we could hire for the evening, they have a reasonable menu (we had lunch there) and also serve beer. They also have a BBQ which we could use but they don't provide the food (they will provide charcoal) so if anyone was prepared to bring the necessary food you could do your own BBQ.

Our idea is that after the visit to the Study Centre we could go to the restaurant for a social dinner and evening, going back 5km to the resort to sleep. As we expect most members would return home via route 213 this location seemed like the best option. We did not investigate hotels / resorts in Sakon Nakhon as these are likely to be more expensive (and anyway we didn't have time!)

For this option to work we need say a minimum of 6 members (plus wives) and we need to be able to pre-book the Study Centre. Alternatively if it doesn't work because not enough members are interested we need a volunteer to host the next meeting.

Can we please have any comments and confirmations of numbers who would attend such a meeting asap.

Puparn RDSC.pdf

Edited by WormFarmer

WF,

Thanks for the effort and the information. That place is just my cup of tea. A week wouldn't be long enough for me to soak it all in. There are a number of farmers on this forum who are considerably closer to SN than me. This should attract a new lot of attendees. Lets hope so. If I can get someone to cover for me I would love to go.

What say you guys?

WormFarmer.

Sorry not to have replied earlier but have had the dreaded connection problem!!

a). Thank you and John so very much for taking the day out to research into what the Royal Developemant Study Centre at Puparn offers

and

B). Your very good report above not only including Centre's brochure, which looks very interesting and diversified, but also researching accommodation and watering holes in the area as well!

At present I am fairly free around the time suggested so I (and hopefully Ting if tapping is finished for the Fall which is 99% certain) would be a definite for the visit so all being well we can reach the quarum needed fairly soon and then swell beyond it.

Thanks again.

Anthony.

I think I would definitely be interested if something like this could be organised. I would have 5 or 6 hours drive. I have mentioned on this forum already that I am not interested in doing any farming myself after what I have seen here. Anything to do with horticulture, agriculture, botany or the environment is definitely my glass of beer. Come on guys, let's get organised. Friday would be ok for me, with wife.

This thread seems to have got lost, the main subject, that is arrangements for the next Isaan Farmers Meeting (No. 7), having got obfusticated by the clutter of general chatter so that any new reader cannot easily find out about the next meeting. I therefore suggest that we allow this thread to quietly die, maybe a passing Mod can close it, and I shall start a new thread entitled "Isaan Farmers Meeting at Puparn RDSC - January 2013"