Thai Woman Drops To Her Death In Lift Plunge

webfact

investigation will determine whether the accident resulted from recklessness.

i hope they mean negligence.

Actually we must assume negligence unless proven otherwise. That is the rule about human lifting machine. At least the principle is valid in most of the countries in world, including my country.

Such machine shall have permit to operate. To get the permit, it has to go for annual inspection. At design stage, the safety factor of the pulling slings normally is set at 400%. This means if the lift can pull 3200kg, the allowable operating load has to be limited to 800kg. There are many mechanical and electrical interlock protections to ensure that the lift should have not be allowed to operate above its operating load.

How could all those safety considerations did not work? The only glaring possible root causes are : Overload protections were bypassed to enable higher than allowable load to be lifted. The permit was never renewed or renewed via back door. The pulling slings were not inspected for very long time. Unless proven otherwise, these are the most logical root causes to trigger such tragic incident.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't only happen in Thailand. People get killed in lifts the world over, including USA and UK. Here's just one example - http://www.dailymail...nge-woman.html. You can find plenty more yourselves. If the company were negligent they should be punished, but this is nothing to do with Thailand in general. If it was there would be a lot more of these incidents, which there aren't. Some of you need to get over your constant anti-Thailand rants.

So...let me get this straight: you are basically saying that the safety- regulations in the US or UK are as abysmal as the safety regulations - or better:the enforcement- in Thailand?

I guess, that also goes for safety- belts in cars, helmets on motorbikes, car- safety in general, blocked or locked fire- exits in nightclubs or hotels or thelistisendless?!

IMHO the fact that not more accidents of this kind happen in Thailand is a) pure luck b ) due to the fact, that maybe you can not read Thai eg Thai-language newspapers or c) pure luck!

When things like this happen in the US or UK (or France or Germany) they are a) accidents b ) followed up by an investigation and c) a fine, for the entity who is responsible...plus there are controls, that can and mostly will not be gettin' over with by a littl epresent of...let's say...300 Baht for the person controlling.

I could give you plenty of examples of negligent companies in the UK, cases where people were killed but the company wasn't prosecuted. No 300 baht to pay, just friends in high places. You obviously don't see some of the things that go on in the UK. Many incidents don't get hardly any coverage either.