Why I Like Christmas In Thailand

chiangmaikelly

some of the old farangland and how crap it is on this thread reminds me of all the farangs who used to bleat on about how they could never live back there(as in where they originated)

Quite sad as most that said it had probably burned their bridges back home....

Christmas in the UK, pubs, decent farang food, Christmas specials on TV to snuggle up with the missus on the sofa to, the crisp fresh air in the mornings on the way to work after the works Christmas party when you are feeeling worse for wear, the initial wind down leading up to Christmas eve....but most of all family and friends to spend time with!

Once it's over though get me on a plane and to some sun before that freezing Jan/Feb starts kicking in smile.png

Good on ya mate. In a thread bout Christmas in Thailand you managed to slag off Farangs, 1. "Quite sad as most that said it had probably burned their bridges back home...." 2. Hype Christmas in the UK, "Christmas in the UK, pubs, decent farang food, Christmas specials on TV to snuggle up with the missus on the sofa." And actually rescue the post with getting back on topic in the end.wai2.gif

thumbsup.gif just my experience on the former fella....

I believe you. There are a lot of posters here who are with you and find it difficult to make a post without bashing expats and a hurrah for the old country.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why I don't like Christmas in Thailand....

My Parents and Sisters families, nephews and nieces are not here.

A traditional family Christmas at home with good family cannot be topped.

For me its not about the hype, its about a time when family can get together and get carried along on the wave of Children's excitement.

My Wife and I always aim to be in the UK for Christmas. Once we have a family that may change but every effort will be made to be back.

I've had one Christmas in Thailand. I had to choose the location very carefully. My worry was that I'd be in a restaurant with a bunch of old men and their latest BG exploit (sorry sounds harsh but that was how I felt). My Mother and Father In Law made every effort to make the day enjoyable and we all had presents for each other... But, while I appreciate the efforts they went to (especially by bringing some great wine), it just didn't feel like Christmas and that year I felt I missed out on a family occasion.

One of these years I would like to watch my Thai In Laws enjoy the Christmas in the UK.

For me its not about the hype, its about a time when family can get together and get carried along on the wave of Children's excitement.

My Wife and I always aim to be in the UK for Christmas. Once we have a family that may change but every effort will be made to be back.

I've had one Christmas in Thailand. I had to choose the location very carefully. My worry was that I'd be in a restaurant with a bunch of old men and their latest BG exploit (sorry sounds harsh but that was how I felt). My Mother and Father In Law made every effort to make the day enjoyable and we all had presents for each other... But, while I appreciate the efforts they went to (especially by bringing some great wine), it just didn't feel like Christmas and that year I felt I missed out on a family occasion.

One of these years I would like to watch my Thai In Laws enjoy the Christmas in the UK.

and the award for managing to shoehorn a dig at old men and bg's into a topic goes to......laugh.png

Personally i'm well chuffed to not have to go through it back home, but each to his own.

• Like 1

This will be my first Christmas in Thailand. I am looking forward to it.

Same for me and I'm also looking forward to it just to see if there are any similarities. But, I've always felt that Christmas was for kids. It gives them something to look forward to. I've grown past the presents thing and my sister and I never exchange gifts. But, if we see something at any time of year that we know the other would like, we just buy it and send it. It's always a nice surprise. I never had children so I've kind of grown past the Christmas thing. I can spend good times with friends on any given weekend. As a child on Vancouver Island I used to enjoy going out with my father looking for the perfect Christmas tree. We never bought a tree because the forests were full of them. We would sneek into the tree plantation in the spring and prune a couple of fir trees just so they would grow thick and bushy. Then we would mark them with loggers tape and go back a week before Christmas. Those were great memories.

I don't like it here at all at Xmas not traditional enough for me, maybe in 30 years I'll adjust but for now hop on a plane and eat traditional food and be around family.

Coming from a cold climate I never can feel like it is Christmas here. I can imagine a few Aussies and Americans who would feel right at home in a warm climate at Christmas though and good for them :)

some of the old farangland and how crap it is on this thread reminds me of all the farangs who used to bleat on about how they could never live back there(as in where they originated)

Christmas in the UK, pubs, decent farang food, Christmas specials on TV to snuggle up with the missus on the sofa to, the crisp fresh air in the mornings on the way to work after the works Christmas party when you are feeeling worse for wear, the initial wind down leading up to Christmas eve....but most of all family and friends to spend time with!

Once it's over though get me on a plane and to some sun before that freezing Jan/Feb starts kicking in smile.png

norrona - All that sounds great on paper but the reality is it isn't all it's cracked up to me....I went back xmas 3 years ago to experience all those 'delights' that you listed and the truth is I was bored and wanted to get back here.....as for snuggling up with your thai wife on the sofa to watch xmas tv specials....well, let's not get silly now...

norrona - All that sounds great on paper but the reality is it isn't all it's cracked up to me....I went back xmas 3 years ago to experience all those 'delights' that you listed and the truth is I was bored and wanted to get back here.....as for snuggling up with your thai wife on the sofa to watch xmas tv specials....well, let's not get silly now...

ha ha...well you got me on that last bit! tongue.png

what did you want to get back to over there so much for....I mean what is over there that cannot be done elsewhere?

Did you take the missus ice skating? To Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park? Sit in a traditional pub with log fire and have a few drinks?

I lived out there for a wonderful 10 years and had the time of my life...literally, but Christmas in Thailand doesn't compare to Christmas in ones homeland...

what did you want to get back to over there so much for....I mean what is over there that cannot be done elsewhere?

Did you take the missus ice skating? To Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park? Sit in a traditional pub with log fire and have a few drinks?

I lived out there for a wonderful 10 years and had the time of my life...literally, but Christmas in Thailand doesn't compare to Christmas in ones homeland...

Perhaps you should have written my homeland. I put logs on the fire in the Pub in Chiang Mai in 1970 and again 35 years later. Maybe you should not assume your experiences are the experiences of everyone.

Perhaps you should have written my homeland. I put logs on the fire in the Pub in Chiang Mai in 1970 and again 35 years later. Maybe you should not assume your experiences are the experiences of everyone.

ones/my really it's whatever....I am sorry I have riled you, was never intended wai.gif

But Chiang Mai is not your homeland no matter how long you've been putting logs on the fire for,you're NOT Thai!

• Like 1

Well of course it doesn't compare, that is stating the obvious isn't it! Christmas isn't a Buddhist holiday, is it!?! But the fact is you are getting all excited over nothing matey, as the whole thing is always a massive anti-clmax, particuarly when you are a grown up, everybody is trying to hard to enjoy themselves and most of it is totally false, with the majority of people counting the days down until january the 2nd........or, are you STILL trying to convince yourself that you did the right thing by moving back there....enjoy!

But Chiang Mai is not your homeland no matter how long you've been putting logs on the fire for,you're NOT Thai!

Way back then the US Army was trying to put me in a body bag in Vietnam. My wife had tried to kill me in Canada. My mother gave me away when I was two weeks old.

Way back then I put logs on the fire at the Pub in Chiang Mai with five hill tribe ladies of questionable virtue and later that night I got the Christmas spirit. I was 21 years of age at the time.

For thirty years I stuck my head in the sand and trudged along trying to make a go of life in the West.

Ten years ago I came home to Thailand. Home is where your heart is in case you didn't know.

http://www.dailymoti...-wilburys_music

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to spending Christmas in the Sheraton Cha-Am with my ex-bargirl girlfriend and my sister and her family. If you're going to be there too, let me know! I'd hate to offend you in any way.

Snuggled up in front of the telly watching the same old repeats every year more like.

To me Christmas is a big rip off and the only time it is enjoyable is when the children play with and have more fun with the boxes that the expensive presents came in laugh.png

I'm looking forward to spending Christmas in the Sheraton Cha-Am with my ex-bargirl girlfriend and my sister and her family. If you're going to be there too, let me know! I'd hate to offend you in any way.

Will she be doing some overtime in the bar then,do they have poles in The Sheraton Cha Am these days?

Will she be doing some overtime in the bar then,do they have poles in The Sheraton Cha Am these days?

Did you actually read your post before you pushed the post button? Are you that nasty a person? The thread is about Christmas for heavens sake.

• Like 2

The great thing about Christmas in Thailand out here in Nakhon Nowhere is that is just another day in paradise with my Thai family with NO carols, Xmas trees or whatever.

We save all that for the western New Year which we DO celebrate,along with the Chinese New Year and the Thai New Year but not an Xmas tree insight and NO carols.

Christmas, Bah Humbug.

• Like 1

I'll be celebrating Christmas on one of the islands this time around....just me and my gf.

Day at the beach...swimming...bit of frisbee...maybe a bit of footy late afternoon....watch the sunset....and a seafood dinner.

The perfect day. :)

Edited by smokie36

I'll be celebrating Christmas on one of the islands this time around....just me and my gf.

Day at the beach...swimming...bit of frisbee...maybe a bit of footy late afternoon....watch the sunset....and a seafood dinner.

The perfect day. smile.png

That sounds as boring as hell to me.

No offense.

Well of course it doesn't compare, that is stating the obvious isn't it! Christmas isn't a Buddhist holiday, is it!?! But the fact is you are getting all excited over nothing matey, as the whole thing is always a massive anti-clmax, particuarly when you are a grown up, everybody is trying to hard to enjoy themselves and most of it is totally false, with the majority of people counting the days down until january the 2nd........or, are you STILL trying to convince yourself that you did the right thing by moving back there....enjoy!

If I really wanted I could move to Thailand again, been there and done it mate, it's not for me anymore, in fact from my trips and holidays over there it's all 'same same' and quite tedious towards the end of the trip....there's no convincing going on here fella, don't quite get where you've made that assumption?

Yes Christmas is totally false and for the kids I agree but that's not what anyone was debating here...fact is for most especially in Pattaya, a luke warm buffet style attempt at a roast dinner on the day washed down with cheap plonk is all that's on offer!

Bah Bloody Humbug thumbsup.gif

Yea you are so happy to be back amongst all the doom and gloom and freezing weather in the UK that you are still posting on here?

The old place has had it mate, everyone knows that, and all that PC crap as well....you are welcome to it my friend.

Anyway, I'm off out for a cold beer (remember that) for the sunset.

Enjoy.

Yea you are so happy to be back amongst all the doom and gloom and freezing weather in the UK that you are still posting on here?

The old place has had it mate, everyone knows that, and all that PC crap as well....you are welcome to it my friend.

Enjoy.

all depends where you are located in the UK....as for the beer and sunset well yes very nice am envious but I will be going on holiday Sunday for a week so will get that myself....

Yes I post on here as I still have interests in Thailand....it's just not the be all and end all for me...

that's all

I look forward to the thread 'How my ex-bargirl girlfriend and her family left me with a huge bill at The Sheraton Cha Am over Christmas'!

I look forward to the thread 'How my ex-bargirl girlfriend and her family left me with a huge bill at The Sheraton Cha Am over Christmas'!

Brodie got stung again......

Enjoy.

all depends where you are located in the UK....as for the beer and sunset well yes very nice am envious but I will be going on holiday Sunday for a week so will get that myself....

Yes I post on here as I still have interests in Thailand....it's just not the be all and end all for me...

that's all

Norrona - You sound like a good bloke to be fair and I genuinely hope it all works out for you and your missus.

But the UK has had it mate and it's only going to get worse, no matter where you live.

You will only get me back living there if i come back in handcuffs...