Where Is The Best Mukata Bbq Buffet In Chiang Mai That Has Shrimp

vacationman

Where is the BEST Mukatya (spelling?) BBQ Buffet in Chiang Mai that has quality SHRIMP.

I'm in a shrimp mode and would like to find a good place to eat.

The buffet where we used to go closed down about 6 months ago.

Looking for quality Shrimp.

If you reply, please include:

Price

Location / Directions

Details about the buffet including how the Shrimp are.

Thanks Alot in Advance.

as a chef of 25 yrs and most recently organic i did alot of research on it--avoid Asian shrimp!!!!

a little google of it will give u the details---bad enough they are bottom feeders and farm raised almost all over know(thanks bp)... the regulations here are pretty much non-existent...i eat no seafood here

u want seafood go south and get it--thats where the ocean is---eat locally---your body will thank you

I don't know what "Mukatya" means.

I know that there is a sea food buffet at the Shangra-la on Wednesday nights supposed to be good and no shortage of food on offer. That is what I have read from several posters here. Never been yet. 600 Baht.

When I am feeling rich and want to treat myself to some barbequed Shrimp I will go to the River Market on the South West corner of the Iron Bridge and order them. Not cheap 95 baht a 100 grams. Works out to around 250 baht for 8 of them . Like I said when I feel rich and want a treat.

I don't know why it is, but the shrimp I eat in Thailand always seem to be past their sell-by dates. Makes no sense to me as the shrimp I eat in other parts of Asia (tasting fine) usually COME FROM THAILAND ! When I eat shrimp in Japan or Singapore, they taste fresh and juicy. When I buy them in Chiang Ma or Bangkok they taste... well... bad enough so that I only try 2-3 times a year, and then only when absolutely necessary for some other recipe, never to be eaten as they are.

Sukontaa 199B includes soft drinks. They say they are a moo ga ta/ kung ga ta. Usually have two kinds of raw shrimp for either cooking at the table of on the grills at the back. Also, some pre-made Thai dishes with shrimp inside. Huge place (~1000 tables), lots of people, stage show, etc... Edited by CMSteve

Sukontaa 199B includes soft drinks. They say they are a moo ga ta/ kung ga ta. Usually have two kinds of raw shrimp for either cooking at the table of on the grills at the back. Also, some pre-made Thai dishes with shrimp inside. Huge place (~1000 tables), lots of people, stage show, etc...

Been here a number of times. Pretty amazing to see 3,000 people all with huge smoking fire buckets on their tables.

Unfortunately, I find the shrimp there to be flavourless, and often with an odd pulpy texture. Unfortunate, as most of the food is pretty decent. And yes, they have tables full of pre-made Thai dishes - I prefer them to the food I cook at my table...

I hear that the Moogata restaurant on the N.E. corner of the moat is supposed to be very good. I don't know if they have shrimp...

I don't know why it is, but the shrimp I eat in Thailand always seem to be past their sell-by dates. Makes no sense to me as the shrimp I eat in other parts of Asia (tasting fine) usually COME FROM THAILAND ! When I eat shrimp in Japan or Singapore, they taste fresh and juicy. When I buy them in Chiang Ma or Bangkok they taste... well... bad enough so that I only try 2-3 times a year, and then only when absolutely necessary for some other recipe, never to be eaten as they are.

i think you got mixed up between shrimps and prawns. Not sure about japan but singapore have very little imports of fresh water shrimps but lots of fresh salt water prawns. im guessing you tasted the real good salt water prawns than the rubbery fresh water shrimps here

I don't know what "Mukatya" means.

I know that there is a sea food buffet at the Shangra-la on Wednesday nights supposed to be good and no shortage of food on offer. That is what I have read from several posters here. Never been yet. 600 Baht.

When I am feeling rich and want to treat myself to some barbequed Shrimp I will go to the River Market on the South West corner of the Iron Bridge and order them. Not cheap 95 baht a 100 grams. Works out to around 250 baht for 8 of them . Like I said when I feel rich and want a treat.

LOL those are hardly moo kata joints!

Sukontaa 199B includes soft drinks. They say they are a moo ga ta/ kung ga ta. Usually have two kinds of raw shrimp for either cooking at the table of on the grills at the back. Also, some pre-made Thai dishes with shrimp inside. Huge place (~1000 tables), lots of people, stage show, etc...

Thanks for the information. That works out great since its within walking distance of my condo. Will give it a try.

Thanks for the information. That works out great since its within walking distance of my condo. Will give it a try.

You should be happy with it. The shrimp are quite large. BBQ's available to bbq your shrimp.

You should be happy with it. The shrimp are quite large. BBQ's available to bbq your shrimp.

been there many times,and think its good value for price,i only have the shrimp when im there,and maybe ice cream and cream cake,drinks all free as well.

After trying shrimp and various fish several times in Thailand I've given up. Maybe I'm just spoiled after living on Vancouver Island where my father just puts out his prawn traps and we get them fresh. We can even go swimming in the river in the summer and catch crayfish that taste a lot like shrimp.

Fathanee

On Mahidol Road, opposite the Nissan showroom (or was it the Mazda one???).

Shrimp can be cooked in various ways, the better half does stuff with them, I refuse to eat them for the reasons Sticky Rice Balls stated above.

199B including drinks, Kanom Waan, some precooked food available.

Enter the soi opposite the Nissan showroom (need to be heading westbound), parking is on the right, its the first building after the parking.

i think you got mixed up between shrimps and prawns. Not sure about japan but singapore have very little imports of fresh water shrimps but lots of fresh salt water prawns. im guessing you tasted the real good salt water prawns than the rubbery fresh water shrimps here

You could be right. Japan gets both shrimp and prawns, but the seafood guys in the market don't know the difference! And as long as they smell fresh, I don't care which I buy. When I was in S'pore, I didn't pay attention to the anatomy of the creature... I was too busy stuffing them down my neck! Of course I was eating Chili Prawns in different Hawker Centers, but I figured that might just be the name of the dish, not which critter was being used at the time.

I'd really like to know why this place doubled its price in just four years. We used to pay 99 baht, and ate there a couple of times a week when living in Hillside 4. The food is great, and the variety more than satisfactory. I realize that inflation has hit hard everywhere, but to DOUBLE prices doesn't seem fair.

I'd really like to know why this place doubled its price in just four years. We used to pay 99 baht, and ate there a couple of times a week when living in Hillside 4. The food is great, and the variety more than satisfactory. I realize that inflation has hit hard everywhere, but to DOUBLE prices doesn't seem fair.

it was about 110/120 4/5 years ago but you paid extra for coke/drinks ect.so still good value,i always have a good 4kilo of shrimp when i go.

Been here a number of times. Pretty amazing to see 3,000 people all with huge smoking fire buckets on their tables.

Unfortunately, I find the shrimp there to be flavourless, and often with an odd pulpy texture. Unfortunate, as most of the food is pretty decent. And yes, they have tables full of pre-made Thai dishes - I prefer them to the food I cook at my table...

I hear that the Moogata restaurant on the N.E. corner of the moat is supposed to be very good. I don't know if they have shrimp...

We ate there once and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw all those shrimp. Did not even finish the first one it tasted to mushy to me. But there was plenty of other fine dishes on order cheap price to. Cant remember how much. Took the relatives and a few neighborhood kids at least I think they were still it was some where in the 2,100 baht price range and that included large bottles of pop. I think there was at least 13 people there.

it was about 110/120 4/5 years ago but you paid extra for coke/drinks ect.so still good value,i always have a good 4kilo of shrimp when i go.

We were talking to the owner one night. He said he comes home in tears each night when he sees the amount of food greedy people put on their plates but can't eat it and throw it away. He said it is shocking to see how much food is thrown away each and every night. If people weren't so greedy they wouldn't have to keep bringing out more and more food and could keep the cost down a little.

• Like 2

Ya know, that's what "I" said, but my wife insisted that we paid 99 baht. I felt sure that it was around 110 baht. And yes, you did pay extra for all drinks. But dam_n... those BBQ'd spare ribs were great. And I used to eat the cockles until they were coming out my ears! It was nice to be able to eat such different foods each night. I never got tired of eating there, but we learned early on not to stuff ourselves.

Ya know, that's what "I" said, but my wife insisted that we paid 99 baht. I felt sure that it was around 110 baht. And yes, you did pay extra for all drinks. But dam_n... those BBQ'd spare ribs were great. And I used to eat the cockles until they were coming out my ears! It was nice to be able to eat such different foods each night. I never got tired of eating there, but we learned early on not to stuff ourselves.

I'm pretty sure that when I went for the first time, about 7 years ago, it was 99 baht. The variety of food has gone up steadily and they've added items like shrimp since the early days. If it was worth 99 baht then (I'm not sure), then it's worth the current 219 baht or so now (or not). imho this is the cleanest muukata in CM and a fun night out, but I try to only go about twice a year.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree great nosebags for greedy bast....

Seem to remember reading somewhere that some moo katas were charging extra for un eaten food.

By all means help yourself but if you dont munch it ...PAY more.....could work...

Our local in Sri Nak Rd has just gone up from 109 to 129 Bt but still good value/fun..aroi