Proof Of Income

Well I have been reading the forum for nearly a year now and still have an unanswered question relating to Non Imm O (retirement) Visa.

I am 59 british and director of 2mill baht company in pattaya. i want to retire there in April my problem is my three pension providers will only pay into a uk bank. Neither of my Banks (Nationwide & Abbey) will transfer money to my Bangkok Bank without me being present and signing the swift transfer form. So my first year will be fine but what do i do when it comes to renewal? I have the required income but paid into uk bank as explained and drawn down by ATM which i undersatnd is not evidence that money came from outside kingdom. I have thought of writing a cheque on my uk bank and presenting it at my account in Bangkok Bank but not sure what the charges will be and even if it will work. At the moment I am stumped on this and wonder if anyone else has overcome this problem as I dont fancy flying to UK once a year just to do a bank transfer! Just had a thought , what if I present my Nationwide Visa debit card at the counter of Bangkok Bank and ask them to transfer over the appropriate amount?

Well I have been reading the forum for nearly a year now and still have an unanswered question relating to Non Imm O (retirement) Visa.

I am 59 british and director of 2mill baht company in pattaya. i want to retire there in April my problem is my three pension providers will only pay into a uk bank. Neither of my Banks (Nationwide & Abbey) will transfer money to my Bangkok Bank without me being present and signing the swift transfer form. So my first year will be fine but what do i do when it comes to renewal? I have the required income but paid into uk bank as explained and drawn down by ATM which i undersatnd is not evidence that money came from outside kingdom. I have thought of writing a cheque on my uk bank and presenting it at my account in Bangkok Bank but not sure what the charges will be and even if it will work. At the moment I am stumped on this and wonder if anyone else has overcome this problem as I dont fancy flying to UK once a year just to do a bank transfer! Just had a thought , what if I present my Nationwide Visa debit card at the counter of Bangkok Bank and ask them to transfer over the appropriate amount?

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/?rid=205723 take a look at this company i use quiet a lot register and send from your uk bank via these to another easiley set up account in thai in say your partners name 1 account 1 person a couple of free e mail accounts and your detals is all you need click on above link try it and let me know how it go.s regards hxjohn

The experts will confirm, but it is my understanding that Thai immigration will accept as proof of your pension(s) a notarized document from your embassy in Thailand. I know the US embassy routinely issues these based purely on your signature. So, you need to find out what the UK embassy requires to get that document.

You don't actually have to transfer in the pension monies into Thailand to qualify for the visa. However, you obviously will want the money because you need it.

That might solve your visa issue, not sure about the funds transfer issue.

The experts will confirm, but it is my understanding that Thai immigration will accept as proof of your pension(s) a notarized document from your embassy in Thailand. I know the US embassy routinely issues these based purely on your signature. So, you need to find out what the UK embassy requires to get that document.

You don't actually have to transfer in the pension monies into Thailand to qualify for the visa. However, you obviously will want the money because you need it.

That might solve your visa issue, not sure about the funds transfer issue.

Thanks for the advice guys, the inital visa is not a problem its the annual renewal when I am living in LOS. At one point I thought copies of my annual pension letter authorised at British Embassy in Bangkok might be the answer. Think I will ask the Thai embassy in Hull when I apply for my initial visa in April.

Neither of my Banks (Nationwide & Abbey) will transfer money to my Bangkok Bank without me being present and signing the swift transfer form.
See if the information shown below can work in your case.
But NATIONWIDE - I can't shout it loud enough. If you can open an account with them then ATM withdrawals are absolutely free - no surcharge no 2% on the exchange rate nothing.

If you want more than the ATM limit walk into your Thai bank and give them the card and ask for the money to be put into your account - appears to be no limit (I know it has been done for 600,000 baht in one transfer) and no charges at all.

As a bonus at least Bankok bank on Suthep road, Chiang Mai (maybe other banks) will mark it as FFT in your book.

You say you will be in the UK in April. Talk to Nationwide. See if you can make arrangements to mail a SWIFT payment order and confirm by phone, in case transfers as mentioned by Briley should not work.

--------------

Maestro

Get yourself an account with Nationwide International and set up trasnfers to any named accounts worldwide. http://www.nationwideinternational.com/

Transfer your money from Nationwide to Nationwide International for free and from NW INT to any named account at £20 a transfer. If you declare yourself non-resident to the Inland Revenue money left in NW INT will accumulate tax free.

If you're going the Nationwide International route make sure you open it while you're resident in the UK. I don't think they mind you living anywhere once it's open but you need to do the proof of identity thing to open it in the first place.

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/?rid=205723 take a look at this company i use quiet a lot register and send from your uk bank via these to another easiley set up account in thai in say your partners name 1 account 1 person a couple of free e mail accounts and your detals is all you need click on above link try it and let me know how it go.s regards hxjohn

Does this method give you the proof that it's a foreign funds transfer that you need to get your visa extension?

Hello JohnC

Just a tought.....

Would your three pension providers pay into an international bank both present in the uk and thailand? ( Like Citibank or others) and then just transfer funds from the uk account to your thai account? I guess there would be a paper trail as proof of provenance? It could even be done by internet banking from your home....?

Hello JohnC

Just a tought.....

Would your three pension providers pay into an international bank both present in the uk and thailand? ( Like Citibank or others) and then just transfer funds from the uk account to your thai account? I guess there would be a paper trail as proof of provenance? It could even be done by internet banking from your home....?

JohnC

Open an account with the Bangkok Bank here. Get your UK money paid by cheques to the City of London branch of the Bangkok Bank. They will clear the cheques and tranfer to your account here. Takes 11 days.

Check with www.britishembassy.gov.uk and get them to write you a letter for immigration, or give the consular section a ring. They'll need proof on pension from your pensions companies.

Good luck

Roger in Surin

Believe all banks will require your presence to do a wire transfer if you do not have an agreement signed and in place. Believe most have some way to do transfer if you have such an agreement. The agreement is a signed statement outlining banks non responsibility for transfer if certain procedures are followed. This will usually include a password that must be used in a phone transfer or such. When you are at the bank itself ask them. If they can not do open an account at a bank that can and just transfer funds into that account or have pension changed to that account.

As has been stated if you have Embassy letter of pension in excess of 65k per month the bank account here only needs to be a nominal amount (not fixed but would suggest 1 or 200k).

At last Lopburi3 gives the correct answer - most of the others are far too complex.

I think Hull will give you a non-imm visa with no proof, other consulates in the UK insist you show a bank statement with a balance of 800,000 baht in £ - about £11,000.

Liverpool (wrongly) insisted on double that amount to issue my wife's non-imm visa.

To get your extension of stay you should get a letter from the British Embassy/consulate. Simply take them proof of your pension, statements etc. If your income is not pension it does not matter to the embassy but always use the word pension to immigration. If around £1,000 a month or more then that is good and you do not need any money in the bank, but see later. Embassy charges an arm and a leg for the letter (£25??) and in Chiang Mai you get it next day.

You give a photo-copy of that letter when you go for extension of stay - and keep the original for next year. Yes you must have a Thai bank account, I just did my renewal with 21,000 baht balance but suspect I was a little luck. Suggest you make that a bit more! The money can come as cash via an ATM since immigration do not require this bit of money to have the FTT entry - your pension is enough.

Incidentally if you take your debit card into the bank - they will swipe it and credit your bank account as a foreign transfer - well this always works for me with a UK Nationwide card, Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and no apparent limit on the ammount you can transfer provided it is inyour UK account.

Finally don't forget you must be in Thailand to renew your extension of stay, that is in the 30 days before it runs out. Your renewal date will be the date you last entered Thailand when you make your first application. That's a complex sentence!

At last Lopburi3 gives the correct answer - most of the others are far too complex.

I think Hull will give you a non-imm visa with no proof, other consulates in the UK insist you show a bank statement with a balance of 800,000 baht in £ - about £11,000.

Liverpool (wrongly) insisted on double that amount to issue my wife's non-imm visa.

To get your extension of stay you should get a letter from the British Embassy/consulate. Simply take them proof of your pension, statements etc. If your income is not pension it does not matter to the embassy but always use the word pension to immigration. If around £1,000 a month or more then that is good and you do not need any money in the bank, but see later. Embassy charges an arm and a leg for the letter (£25??) and in Chiang Mai you get it next day.

You give a photo-copy of that letter when you go for extension of stay - and keep the original for next year. Yes you must have a Thai bank account, I just did my renewal with 21,000 baht balance but suspect I was a little luck. Suggest you make that a bit more! The money can come as cash via an ATM since immigration do not require this bit of money to have the FTT entry - your pension is enough.

Incidentally if you take your debit card into the bank - they will swipe it and credit your bank account as a foreign transfer - well this always works for me with a UK Nationwide card, Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and no apparent limit on the ammount you can transfer provided it is inyour UK account.

Finally don't forget you must be in Thailand to renew your extension of stay, that is in the 30 days before it runs out. Your renewal date will be the date you last entered Thailand when you make your first application. That's a complex sentence!

Thanks to all and especially to briley, all that makes sense and answers my question. I will be in residence once I arrive in May and have no plans to leave. I get an annual pension letter which i can take to UK Embassy in Bangkok, however, as two of my pensions are from the government a non uk bank is not acceptable to them. With the annual pension letter and my trusty Nationwide ATM card I think problem is solved. I will be using my Bangkok Bank for daily living expenses so will always have a reasonable amount in that. So to summarise the Thai Visa guys come out tops once again ! thanks to all who contributed

Neither of my Banks (Nationwide & Abbey) will transfer money to my Bangkok Bank without me being present and signing the swift transfer form.
But NATIONWIDE - I can't shout it loud enough. If you can open an account with them then ATM withdrawals are absolutely free - no surcharge no 2% on the exchange rate nothing.

If you want more than the ATM limit walk into your Thai bank and give them the card and ask for the money to be put into your account - appears to be no limit (I know it has been done for 600,000 baht in one transfer) and no charges at all.

As a bonus at least Bankok bank on Suthep road, Chiang Mai (maybe other banks) will mark it as FFT in your book.

You say you will be in the UK in April. Talk to Nationwide. See if you can make arrangements to mail a SWIFT payment order and confirm by phone, in case transfers as mentioned by Briley should not work.

--------------

Maestro

Further to this info by Maestro you can arrange for internet banking while in the U.K.

Then you can fill in a swift application form online and follow the instructions, download a copy of your form you,ve completed, sign it and send it back to the u.k. via post.

I use a " receipt for international registered item " utility at the local post office and send it express, no problems.

The money is transfered as soon as they get it at that end at the address they ask you to send it to.

Internet banking with the N.wide is secure and very good.

Unless you give your security details to anyone it cannot be accessed by a third party.

You can also keep an eye on your accounts while away and communicate securely on any subject directly.

A response comes back within 48 hours max. either with an answer or reference of forwarding it to a particular dept.

Regarding your swift transfer you can watch for it being deducted from your account and it should arrive within a couple of days at this end, or soon after.

I,ve found it very good for everything connected to my business with them.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

--------------

Maestro

Further to this info by Maestro you can arrange for internet banking while in the U.K.

Then you can fill in a swift application form online and follow the instructions, download a copy of your form you,ve completed, sign it and send it back to the u.k. via post.

I use a " receipt for international registered item " utility at the local post office and send it express, no problems.

The money is transfered as soon as they get it at that end at the address they ask you to send it to.

Internet banking with the N.wide is secure and very good.

Unless you give your security details to anyone it cannot be accessed by a third party.

You can also keep an eye on your accounts while away and communicate securely on any subject directly.

A response comes back within 48 hours max. either with an answer or reference of forwarding it to a particular dept.

Regarding your swift transfer you can watch for it being deducted from your account and it should arrive within a couple of days at this end, or soon after.

I,ve found it very good for everything connected to my business with them.

Thanks Marshbags, I already have internet banking, however, my local Nationwide insist I am present to sign the swift transfer form , they do not accept the internet version but print their own!

I am looking at transfering my account to a Nationwide International one but it looks like my pension letters are all I need for visa renewal so problem solved.

It's easier and cheaper to use the ATM - maximum is about 25,000 baht and with nationwide no charges.

If you need more take the nationwide debit card into Bangkok bank and they'll transfer hundreds of thousands into your bank account.

Doing it this way you get the best exchange rate, least cost and the money instantly or faster.

As an intersting aside the money is both in your hand (or bangkok bank account) and in your nationwide account for 24 hours so you get interest on your money twice. Mind at Bangkok bank's rate that only makes you a profit of 27 baht on a million transfered - just enough for a small, cheap, beer.

Believe all banks will require your presence to do a wire transfer if you do not have an agreement signed and in place. Believe most have some way to do transfer if you have such an agreement. The agreement is a signed statement outlining banks non responsibility for transfer if certain procedures are followed. This will usually include a password that must be used in a phone transfer or such. When you are at the bank itself ask them. If they can not do open an account at a bank that can and just transfer funds into that account or have pension changed to that account.

As has been stated if you have Embassy letter of pension in excess of 65k per month the bank account here only needs to be a nominal amount (not fixed but would suggest 1 or 200k).

:o

I do not have 65k per month pension or 600k in a Thai bank but so far - after 3 years here this has not proved to be a problem. I think once at Mai Sot (90 day visa run) I was asked to bring bank and pension evidence but I never did.

At the moment my 2 houses here are in my wife's name and I'm happy about that as after I've gone (about 10 years I geuss) her and her family will be more than secure.

I would however like to buy a bar/guesthouse for something to do. Not a lot - but something to keep me a bit occupied. I am a graphic designer by trade but only get a few commissions a year from UK, so that would seem ideal in a small town like Nakhon Sawan - I'm not interested in BKK - smalltime interest.

I would like this business to be within MY control, as, unfortunately all will probably agree, Thai wives/fiancées/partners are not designed for business.

How do I go about this....coments will abound I am sure.....

Thanks Marshbags, I already have internet banking, however, my local Nationwide insist I am present to sign the swift transfer form , they do not accept the internet version but print their own!

I am looking at transfering my account to a Nationwide International one but it looks like my pension letters are all I need for visa renewal so problem solved.

My pleasure to assist you.

For future reference if it,s of further help.

When i apply on my Internet banking i follow the intructions they give which ask you to print off the completed application, sign it so they can see it,s not a printed signature and send it to the address they supply.

I,d send a message over the internet banking to your local branch advising them of your request and what your applying for in addition to the following.

The address is a national one applicable to swift transactions by the way, not your local one but as follows:-

SWIFT Transfer Form

There is a fee of £20.00 for this service.

The mailing address will appear on the form when you print it out.

Please mail this to:

Nationwide Building Society,

Banking Services - CHAPS Department,

Nationwide House,

Pipers Way,

Swindon,

SN38 3GN

The next info following is a section of the online application form :-

Receiving Account Holders Exact Name:

BIC/SWIFT Code:

Account Number:

Reference Number / Additional Information:

Enter any additional info that might assist the transfer.

Name of Receiving Bank (in full):

Street:

Town/City:

Conditions Of Transfer

The administration fee is non-refundable.

Provided there is no negligence on the part of Nationwide and/or its agents, then Nationwide and its agents shall not be liable for any claims or losses arising as a result of money:-

not received by the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or

rejected by the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or

for any reason delayed whilst in transmission to the receiving bank or the beneficiary; or

recalled by you

The exchange rates used by us to send currency payments is set by our agent bank and may be higher or lower than the indication rate provided. This will depend on the time the transfer is requested, the value of the payment and the market conditions at the time the currency is reserved.

In the event of the funds being returned or recalled, the exchange rate prevailing on the day that we receive the funds back from our agent bank will be used to convert your funds to sterling. This may be a higher or lower rate to the one applied when the transfer was sent. If the amount of the return or recall is less that the amount originally sent we will not be able to credit your account with the difference.

Where it is not possible to recover any charges from the receiving bank's account holder, Nationwide may debit your account with any such charges.

The receiving bank or agent may pass on extra charges (without notifying Nationwide) for processing this transfer request. This means that either the beneficiary will receive a lesser sum or a charge will be debited from your account.

Payments to India can take up to 3 months and occasionally longer to reach the beneficiary account.

By signing this form, I agree to the conditions of transfer, authorise this transaction and accept the fee.

Customer Signature:

date;

The above is taken from my last application form which i saved on my comp.

Any further info you may need please ask, it,s no problem at all.

Edited by marshbags

Open an account with one of the International bank branches in Channel Islands or Isle of Man. I use Royal Bank of Scotland.

They are used to international transfers based on fax instructions.

For additional security I have to quote a 4 digit "signal number".

The security method varies from bank to bank.

Mainland branches do not have a clue.

Edited by astral

Open an account with one of the International bank branches in Channel Islands or Isle of Man. I use Royal Bank of Scotland.

They are used to international transfers based on fax instructions.

For additional security I have to quote a 4 digit "signal number".

The security method varies from bank to bank.

Mainland branches do not have a clue.

I know of at least one building society that will act on internet instructions. Basically, they send you a CD and a secret code under separate cover. You register this on line and the CD will print out a PDF form that you fill in and e-mail to them over a secure connection and they act on the instructions.