Is Traffic Affecting Your Decisions On When And Where To Go?

steelepulse

Langkawi does not have traffic jams, not much traffic actually

Niether has the ar-e end of Australia.But who in their right mind wants to go there.

Where is the ar-e of Australia, i spent 2 years traveling around Australia and could not find it???

Having lived & worked in Derby for 6 months I found tis saying to be true :-

"King Sound is the ar_e 'ole of the earth, & Derby is 10 miles up it.....laugh.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ditto, i don't mind the traffic that much when i'm on my bike, i can get to the front at the lights and most of the reds are a waste of time anyhow so i just drive straight through when clear. but when i have to take the truck its a nightmare. i'd rather drive the bike in the pouring rain than the truck any day.

Right, but even, with a Motorbike, at least a bigger one, it is less and less space everywhere on the roads.

Using a Scooter is a solution and I can drive threw the traffic also up and down Patongs surrounding hilly roads,

but that, also, not really funny anymore. no1.gif

I can not talk about your mentioned Australia, as I have never been there.

But regarding, -Langkawi- its definitely a place to consider.

If you have a family, children, wife or nice satisfying GF already, do not need Bars, numerous Ladies, big nightlife, Discos ect.

Just nice there, the island is more beautiful, but the beaches over all are looking better in Phuket, if they would not be so crowded even better.

What is the cost of living there compared to Thailand for a person who likes to have a sea view, eats mainly local foods. Simple life really.

How about visas and setting up company with work permit?

What is the cost of living there compared to Thailand for a person who likes to have a sea view, eats mainly local foods. Simple life really.

How about visas and setting up company with work permit?

The topic is about Traffic. Please let's not go off on another topic. We have had many cost-of-living topics already. I guess not for Langkawi - so start a new one.

Niether has the ar-e end of Australia.But who in their right mind wants to go there.

Where is the ar-e of Australia, i spent 2 years traveling around Australia and could not find it???

Having lived & worked in Derby for 6 months I found tis saying to be true :-

"King Sound is the ar_e 'ole of the earth, & Derby is 10 miles up it.....laugh.png

Who would want to live in Derby when Broome is not far away, the fishing is good at Derby though

Not traffic jam related but has anyone noticed the Fortuner driver (big car small di-k syndrome) has been taken over by the Ford Wildtrack driver?

Not me never owned or wanted to own a Fortuner

So you drive Ford, then?

• Like 2

Nope. My step-thru goes to the front of every set of red lights. My travel times have only been slowed down due to the increase in traffic lights, not the actual traffic.

If I had to drive a car, I would have gone mad.

Now you have gone straight to the crux of the matter. All the motor bikes squeeze up to the front of the lights and gum up the works. They leave much less times for the cars to get through sad.png

But you do understand, that the extra slot, direct in front off the traffic lights, is there, so that motorcycles 'squeeze' themselves into the front row, don't you?

They even painting motorcycles on the road now. And how should a motorcycles driver see that, from the end of the road, that a queue jumping car/minibus driver used it?

So they have to line beside and in front of them giggle.gif

btw: I do so, too, if on a motorcycle. Exactly in front of them and waiting for green. With an extra check, if there isn't a red light runner coming, before starting to drive.whistling.gif

I can not talk about your mentioned Australia, as I have never been there.

But regarding, -Langkawi- its definitely a place to consider.

If you have a family, children, wife or nice satisfying GF already, do not need Bars, numerous Ladies, big nightlife, Discos ect.

Even without a gf (or with a long term, already), you can do it, like the malaysian males doing bit: Boot trip to Satun, 2 Condoms, boot back. coffee1.gif

Nope. My step-thru goes to the front of every set of red lights. My travel times have only been slowed down due to the increase in traffic lights, not the actual traffic.

Now you have gone straight to the crux of the matter. All the motor bikes squeeze up to the front of the lights and gum up the works. They leave much less times for the cars to get through sad.png

But you do understand, that the extra slot, direct in front off the traffic lights, is there, so that motorcycles 'squeeze' themselves into the front row, don't you?

They even painting motorcycles on the road now. And how should a motorcycles driver see that, from the end of the road, that a queue jumping car/minibus driver used it?

btw: I do so, too, if on a motorcycle. Exactly in front of them and waiting for green. With an extra check, if there isn't a red light runner coming, before starting to drive.whistling.gif

Yes never be the first in the intersection. That's a death or injury wish for sure.

not sure about what you mean in the rest of your post however.

can you elucidate a bit perhaps?

thanks.

Yes never be the first in the intersection. That's a death or injury wish for sure.

not sure about what you mean in the rest of your post however.

can you elucidate a bit perhaps?

thanks.

http://goo.gl/maps/RCdnQ

http://goo.gl/maps/eXOWD

The 'going on' slots. Some of them are changing from 'จัยย' to a Motorcycle, painted on the road. Like they always get used, by the motorcycles, since they got invented.

As long the mopeds have different laws, than the cars, the people will always pass on the left (I have to drive on the left, so I pass on the left), wait besides and before cars (because of passing as many cars, as possible), ...!

And as long no one is stopping and charging red runner convoys, the people with green can't start driving at green, and will be red light runners, later.

Even without a gf (or with a long term, already), you can do it, like the malaysian males doing bit: Boot trip to Satun, 2 Condoms, boot back. coffee1.gif

-Noob7-

You know a lot! tongue.png

I was never on the lookout in Satun and last time, I have been there 3-4 years ago.

But the offer there will be limited, in comparison to Phuket and Hat Yai-with a good Night Life as I was reading, is a bit far.

So Langkawi without a GF or wife, would be, inconvenient for me. rolleyes.gif

They even painting motorcycles on the road now.

I thought those were a chalk outline where a motorbike had been run over.laugh.png

Thought that, first time too. But it was a full paint motorcycles, not only the outline.Looking like one on the so called 'motorcycles lanes'.

picked 2 Russian tourists out of the ditch/ drain gully on the hill down to Karon from patong, what a mess the passenger was in, bone through the elbow and the skin had peeled off her leg, managed to calm them down until the ambulance came, the bike was a new 125cc click, well bent out of shape, she had the rental agreement on her that said "50,000 baht excess" so really the price of a new bike. hopefully they are doing OK, my car just lays there, can't be bothered with the traffic hassles around Patongsad.png

I drive that Karon/Patong road every day, and often see motor bikes in the deep rain gully. Newbie tourists with no idea how to control/drive a mbike. The rentors love it, they make even more money on the high repair/replacement price demanded.

100% agree, the bike renters rub there hands in glee when a bike is returned damaged

Many of the bike riders who get in the front of the queue will then stay in the centre of the lane travelling a slower speed especially the side cars & I often see motorbikes who pull up to the outside lane & then cross in front of two cars to get over to the inside. Then again imagine what it would be like if 50% of the bike riders graduated to cars & I am sure this what they aspire to apart from Karen.

• Like 1

Many of the bike riders who get in the front of the queue will then stay in the centre of the lane travelling a slower speed especially the side cars & I often see motorbikes who pull up to the outside lane & then cross in front of two cars to get over to the inside. Then again imagine what it would be like if 50% of the bike riders graduated to cars & I am sure this what they aspire to apart from Karen.

My pet hate are the trolleys. You eventally get by a slow moving mobile shop, only to see it squeeze past stopped traffic at the traffic lights and go to the front. Then slowly move off at Green, holding all the cars. You get by again only to have the same happen at next lights w00t.gif

My pet hate are the trolleys. You eventally get by a slow moving mobile shop, only to see it squeeze past stopped traffic at the traffic lights and go to the front. Then slowly move off at Green, holding all the cars. You get by again only to have the same happen at next lights w00t.gif

You see a lot more expats driving them now especially in the south of the island, the recession must have hit them hard

• Like 1

You see a lot more expats driving them now especially in the south of the island, the recession must have hit them hard

Not everyone is wealthy!!

You see a lot morefe while expats driving them now especially in the south of the island, the receyouif ssion must have hit them hard

Not everyone is wealthy!!

You do not have to be wealthy to use a vehicle to get around here it just common sense if you want to be reasonably safe while on the road

Yesterday, I was trying to get around one of these on the beach road in Kamala. It was a pancake moto with all the colored soda up front, Styrofoam boxes and drink cups hanging everywhere. She managed to get in front of me just as we were turning onto the road, and with all the cars parked on both sides, she was in the center. Waiting for her to cross the speed bumps was anything but speedy. Finally near the end of the road, and what seemed like hours later, there was a gap. I hit the gas and started around her. Then, without warning, she decided to do a U-turn.blink.png

Yesterday, I was trying to get around one of these on the beach road in Kamala. It was a pancake moto with all the colored soda up front, Styrofoam boxes and drink cups hanging everywhere. She managed to get in front of me just as we were turning onto the road, and with all the cars parked on both sides, she was in the center. Waiting for her to cross the speed bumps was anything but speedy. Finally near the end of the road, and what seemed like hours later, there was a gap. I hit the gas and started around her. Then, without warning, she decided to do a U-turn.blink.png

So, you aren't aware of these? (Land traffic act)

Section 44

A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.

(When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.)

Section 45

No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:

• a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
  • b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

As I like it: honk!

Edited by noob7

Section 44

A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.

(When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.)

Section 45

• a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
  • b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.

Yes, but I like to call it The Landfill Traffic Act. Honk at the wrong person, and end up Landfill.

Edited by Shot

Section 44

Section 45

Yes, but I like to call it The Landfill Traffic Act. Honk at the wrong person, and end up Landfill.

Yes sound your horn at the wrong maniac here and you end up being violently attacked having your life threatened and punched in the face for trying to warn someone as happened to my mate who has packed up and left the island.

I thought I would beat the traffic this morning so off to Makro at 6.30.

OK going from Rawai to Makro even got through the circle in 5 mins but on the way back nose to tail traffic in both directions.

Where are all these people going and coming from?

A basic chronological order of events regarding transport and some unfortunate first time tourists coming to Phuket.

1) The Phuket Airport exit door opens. 1300 baht for "Airport Limo" (Toyota Camry) to hotel. So many touts harrassing them that they can't look to the right and see the "metered" taxis.

2) They want to go to the beach. Anywhere from 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

3) After the beach, they want to go for lunch or to the market, another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

4) They want to go home to shower and go out for dinner and drinks, or maybe see Bangla Road. Another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

5) They are drunk and it's late and they want to go home. Now 400 to 800 baht in a tuk-tuk to go home.

6) The next day they see "motorbike for rent 200 baht" or "car for rent 1000 baht." Some rent a rent a bike, some rent a car. Many of them are unlicensed to ride a bike, and some of them have never been on a bike before. Some opt for neither, and now realise that they will be paying more in local transport for their holiday than they did for their accommodation.

7) Road Block - ticket for unlicensed riding, or prompted to "pay fine now - no need go police station." They pay the police officer, and ride off, still unlicensed.

8) Unfamiliar with the roads and traffic conditions and/or intoxicated, they have an accident. Death, serious or minor injury occurs. In the case of injury, they go to hospital. No travel insurance because not licensed to ride, they pay for treatment, or hospitalisation, out of their own pocket. Not cheap for some.

9) They are now laid up with broken bones etc in their hotel room trying to keep infection out of their wounds, so, on antibiotics and some pain killers, no alcohol allowed. Now, they are bored, in pain, have restricted movement and not having a great holiday.

10) They have now cancelled all of their island hopping, activities and shows. No refund.

11) They return the bike to the rental shop, damaged. They are made to pay anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 baht (the cost of a new bike) for the damage. They disagree, so police arrive. Police officer says, "you pay or go gaol." They pay, and are not happy.

12) Time to leave, they get a 750 baht ex-black taxi that takes them to the airport and they go home.

13) They tell all of their friends and family about their wonderfull holiday on Phuket, showing off proudly their scars and injuries, commonly known as "Phuket tattoos." smile.png

14) The ones that rented a car are still driving along Beach Road looking for a car park, amongst all the tuk-tuks and motorbike hire - they have been looking for over an hour now. smile.png

15) They find a car park. A Thai guy appears, with his friends behind him, and tells them very aggressively, "you not park here." To avoid a confrontation, they back out of the car park and drive off, only to see in their rear view mirror a tuk-tuk and just driven into their car park. They drive past the length of the beach, several times, and only see parked tuk-tuks.

16) They drive around and around looking where to park for the beach, for lunch, for markets, their guest house, their hotel - the car has become a real burden for them now and is restricting their freedom.

17) They return the car and ask for a refund. "Sorry, no refund" they are told. They're not so happy about this, but move on.

18) The next day, they organise a driver. 1500 baht for 6 hours. They are happy about this, but still 500 baht more than a rental car at your disposal 24 hours - if only there could be more parking available. smile.png

19) They get a 750 baht ex-black taxi to the airport and go home.

20) They go home and tell all their friends and family Phuket is great but you must stay in a hotel/guest house that is near what you want to see and do. Eg. Beach, Junceylon, markets, nightlife. Or, be prepared to pay more in local transport than the cost of your accommodation.

21) The relatives of the deceased from the accidents here await the arrival of a coffin containing their loved one at the airport in their home country.

22) The bike rental, car rental, hospitals, tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers, taxi association leaders and Thai officials all make large deposits into their bank accounts. It's a huge industry.

23) A new tourist has arrived - the Phuket Airport exit door opens and it all starts again.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

A basic chronological order of events regarding transport and some unfortunate first time tourists coming to Phuket.

1) The Phuket Airport exit door opens. 1300 baht for "Airport Limo" (Toyota Camry) to hotel. So many touts harrassing them that they can't look to the right and see the "metered" taxis.

3) After the beach, they want to go for lunch or to the market, another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

4) They want to go home to shower and go out for dinner and drinks, or maybe see Bangla Road. Another 200 to 400 baht in a tuk-tuk.

5) They are drunk and it's late and they want to go home. Now 400 to 800 baht in a tuk-tuk to go home.

6) The next day they see "motorbike for rent 200 baht" or "car for rent 1000 baht." Some rent a rent a bike, some rent a car. Many of them are unlicensed to ride a bike, and some of them have never been on a bike before. Some opt for neither, and now realise that they will be paying more in local transport for their holiday than they did for their accommodation.

7) Road Block - ticket for unlicensed riding, or prompted to "pay fine now - no need go police station." They pay the police officer, and ride off, still unlicensed.

8) Unfamiliar with the roads and traffic conditions and/or intoxicated, they have an accident. Death, serious or minor injury occurs. In the case of injury, they go to hospital. No travel insurance because not licensed to ride, they pay for treatment, or hospitalisation, out of their own pocket. Not cheap for some.

9) They are now laid up with broken bones etc in their hotel room trying to keep infection out of their wounds, so, on antibiotics and some pain killers, no alcohol allowed. Now, they are bored, in pain, have restricted movement and not having a great holiday.

10) They have now cancelled all of their island hopping, activities and shows. No refund.

11) They return the bike to the rental shop, damaged. They are made to pay anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 baht (the cost of a new bike) for the damage. They disagree, so police arrive. Police officer says, "you pay or go gaol." They pay, and are not happy.

12) Time to leave, they get a 750 baht ex-black taxi that takes them to the airport and they go home.

13) They tell all of their friends and family about their wonderfull holiday on Phuket, showing off proudly their scars and injuries, commonly known as "Phuket tattoos." :)

14) The ones that rented a car are still driving along Beach Road looking for a car park, amongst all the tuk-tuks and motorbike hire - they have been looking for over an hour now. :)

15) They find a car park. A Thai guy appears, with his friends behind him, and tells them very aggressively, "you not park here." To avoid a confrontation, they back out of the car park and drive off, only to see in their rear view mirror a tuk-tuk and just driven into their car park. They drive past the length of the beach, several times, and only see parked tuk-tuks.

16) They drive around and around looking where to park for the beach, for lunch, for markets, their guest house, their hotel - the car has become a real burden for them now and is restricting their freedom.

17) They return the car and ask for a refund. "Sorry, no refund" they are told. They're not so happy about this, but move on.

18) The next day, they organise a driver. 1500 baht for 6 hours. They are happy about this, but still 500 baht more than a rental car at your disposal 24 hours - if only there could be more parking available. :)

20) They go home and tell all their friends and family Phuket is great but you must stay in a hotel/guest house that is near what you want to see and do. Eg. Beach, Junceylon, markets, nightlife. Or, be prepared to pay more in local transport than the cost of your accommodation.

21) The relatives of the deceased from the accidents here await the arrival of a coffin containing their loved one at the airport in their home country.

22) The bike rental, car rental, hospitals, tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers, taxi association leaders and Thai officials all make large deposits into their bank accounts.

23) A new tourist has arrived - the Phuket Airport exit door opens and it all starts again.

I do not think genuine tourists think Tuk Tuks or taxis are expensive here compared to there home

country, its part of the cost of enjoying yourself when on Holiday's and not expensive IMO

Where do you get the "1300 Bt for a limo" from?

Exaggerating again?

You are out of touch with what they are asking. I always get the metered taxis, but the "Airport Limo" drivers are asking for 1300 baht and have done for quite a while. I have heard them say this price to the tourists. Admittedly, it was at night, but they were told 1300 baht and that was about 5 months ago.

13) They tell all of their friends and family about their wonderfull holiday on Phuket, showing off proudly their scars and injuries, commonly known as "Phuket tattoos." smile.png

14) The ones that rented a car are still driving along Beach Road looking for a car park, amongst all the tuk-tuks and motorbike hire - they have been looking for over an hour now. smile.png

18) The next day, they organise a driver. 1500 baht for 6 hours. They are happy about this, but still 500 baht more than a rental car at your disposal 24 hours - if only there could be more parking available. smile.png

22) The bike rental, car rental, hospitals, tuk-tuk drivers, taxi drivers, taxi association leaders and Thai officials all make large deposits into their bank accounts.

I do not think genuine tourists think Tuk Tuks or taxis are expensive here compared to there home

country, its part of the cost of enjoying yourself when on Holiday's and not expensive IMO

So, you seriously don't think they weigh up the cost, and conveinience, of 200 baht per day for a motorbike, or 1000 baht a day for a car, as being better value for money than catching tuk-tuks several times a day?

If what you are saying is correct, why is there soooooooo much motorbike hire and car hire available on Phuket????

Of course, this relevant to the OP, because it's creating a lot of traffic on the island.