New Atm Skimming Scam

This is the latest skimming gear fitted to an ATM with pin hole camera and PC download feature. See link for clear pictures.

Won’t be long before it hits here in thailand if it already hasn’t.

HIGHLY sophisticated bankcard skimming devices have been found attached to ATMs in Brisbane's Queen St Mall, for the first time in Australia.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/money/banking/european-atm-skimming-machine-your-credit-cards-new-worst-enemy-in-australian-crime-first/story-e6frfmcr-1226521141277#ixzz2Cwt0Ac60

I always cover the keypad when I'm sticking my PIN in.

Me too.

I once used what I thought was a bit of a fishy ATM - I just changed my PIN on the next machine. Very convenient that you can change your PIN at the ATM in Thailand.

These skimmers look great but they are also really easy to defeat, just pull on the thing and see if it comes off...

• Like 1

I have two accounts and internet banking here, one account has no ATM and the other does. I just keep what is required in the ATM account and can transfer baht over online as required, so there is always a limit to what can be stolen if the card is compromised. Same with my home debit card, only keep a small amount in at any given time. You may not be always able to dodge the crooks but you can control how much they have access to.

• Like 1

I have two accounts and internet banking here, one account has no ATM and the other does. I just keep what is required in the ATM account and can transfer baht over online as required, so there is always a limit to what can be stolen if the card is compromised. Same with my home debit card, only keep a small amount in at any given time. You may not be always able to dodge the crooks but you can control how much they have access to.

Yep.

And add in an SMS message on any transaction and you know immediately of any issue.