Thai Police Chief Put In Charge Instead Of Army Boss For Fear Of Favouritism

webfact

Police chief put in charge instead of Army boss for fear of favouritism

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday decided to enforce the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the inner areas of the capital as a measure to control the Saturday protest, but put police chief Adul Saengsingkeaw in charge rather than the Army chief, who is traditionally empowered to enforce the law.

As per the ISA, the prime minister - as director of the Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) - is authorised to command all officials working in the agency, with the Army chief as her deputy.

However, the premier, as Isoc director also has the authority to pick anybody from within the security command or from other agencies to become her assistant.

Observers, meanwhile, have been questioning why the Cabinet has decided to exercise the ISA and put the police chief in charge of controlling the anti-government protest instead of putting it in the hands of the Army chief.

Analysts say that perhaps the government does not trust the Army enough because it might end up favouring the protesters. It is widely believed that the government under Yingluck Shinawatra has still not been able to build a better relationship with the Army.

Besides, it was the police commander-in-chief Adul who suggested that the government use the ISA as a legal instrument to control the situation during the protest.

An official at the National Security Council (NSC) said police had the authority to use basic laws such as the Penal Code to handle the protest, but the government is worried that the police may not have any legal impunity to handle the situation of things get out of hand.

Previously, former police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan was accused of abusing of power and misconduct after his actions to control the yellow-shirt protest on October 7, 2008, killed two and injured many others. The National Anti-Corruption Commission will be indicting him soon.

Though the ISA does not provide direct legal impunity to officials involved in the operation, it can be used as a reference and a backup because it grants them direct authority.

The ISA's Article 18 also authorises the Cabinet to tell state officials what actions are necessary to handle the situation. The Cabinet can also order the restriction of people's movement, launch a curfew, block roads, order people to stop using electronic devices for safety reasons as well prohibit people from carrying weapons.

Adul plans to mobilise some 50,000-80,000 police officers to control the Saturday rally. An NSC official said the number of police officers mobilised is expected to match the number of protesters. The official added that the police chief was preparing such a huge police force to handle the situation because he believes that the military will not cooperate or step in to help in case of emergency.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 23

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Police Commissioner General Police General Adul Saengsingkaew had prepared 112 companies comprising 16,800 policemen to maintain security around the rally site.

Adul plans to mobilise some 50,000-80,000 police officers to control the Saturday rally.

Forces ready to control the Saturday rally :

80,000 Police / 23,000 Police Volunteers / 200,000 Red Shirts

:blink:

• Like 2

I suspect that the democratic protesters will be outnumbered several-to-one, by the forces of oppression control, unless of course the government knows something that they haven't yet told the rest of us ?

Can this seeming over-reaction be due merely to one man's paranoia-from-afar ?

One can only hope that the protest goes smoothly & peacefully.

I cannot get rid of the feeling that the Government are making an absolute cluster <deleted> out of this entire situation. They have successfully turned what would have been a peaceful, short, trouble free rally into something that could now prove highly problematic. The Government seem intent on garnering an overtly aggressive response and 50 000 police officers is overkill to state the least. The command and control issues will be interesting. It seems the police are drafting in units from all over the country now. 150 police left our town for Bangkok yesterday - 900 km away. There is so much fuss being made by the Government that there are now busloads preparing to travel up from here so that they can join the protest and see what all the fuss is about. I think if the current Government had to deal with anything remotely like the red shirts inflicted on Bangkok for a month or two, they would all implode. It's going to get even more interesting I think as Governmental panic sets in !

"peaceful, short, trouble free rally" "we want a coup and overthrow the government"sounds not really peaceful to me.In the US or Europe u will sit in prison if u announce stuff like that,besides that i think it's smart of Yingluck to tell the people whats going on,and more smart to do it while half of Thailand is watching a boring Thai soap,this small announcement gives her something like "free ticket"to act the way the government want to act

Just had to clean my pc monitor. The headline in the OP made me spit my coffee.

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday decided to enforce the Internal Security Act (ISA) in the inner areas of the capital as a measure to control the Saturday protest, but put police chief Adul Saengsingkeaw in charge rather than the Army chief, who is traditionally empowered to enforce the law.

Indeed, I wonder if they mean "the law" or "this law". Maybe we have been wrong all along. It is the army that enforce the law, and the police are just some type of charity soliciting money on the highways and in their offices.

• Like 1

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the reasons for the ISA to be able to call in the Army if necessary?

And the "government is worried that the police may not have any legal impunity to handle the situation of things get out of hand" suggest that the Army would be used to cleanup and bear the consequences the police can't or won't or doesn't want to?

Police Commissioner General Police General Adul Saengsingkaew had prepared 112 companies comprising 16,800 policemen to maintain security around the rally site.

Adul plans to mobilise some 50,000-80,000 police officers to control the Saturday rally.

Forces ready to control the Saturday rally :

80,000 Police / 23,000 Police Volunteers / 200,000 Red Shirts

blink.png

now it is said that they put the volunteers in police uniforms. quote: "23,000 Police Volunteers / 200,000 Red Shirts"

shouldn't it read: 223.000 Red Shirts 23.000 of them in police uniforms?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the reasons for the ISA to be able to call in the Army if necessary?

And the "government is worried that the police may not have any legal impunity to handle the situation of things get out of hand" suggest that the Army would be used to cleanup and bear the consequences the police can't or won't or doesn't want to?

That is what I understood also. If that is the plan, why put the army personnel in charge from the beginning. Maybe that army's nose will have been so put out of joint with being refused their traditional role, they might all just forget to pick up the phone when Yingluck calls.

• Like 1

I cannot get rid of the feeling that the Government are making an absolute cluster <deleted> out of this entire situation. They have successfully turned what would have been a peaceful, short, trouble free rally into something that could now prove highly problematic. The Government seem intent on garnering an overtly aggressive response and 50 000 police officers is overkill to state the least. The command and control issues will be interesting. It seems the police are drafting in units from all over the country now. 150 police left our town for Bangkok yesterday - 900 km away. There is so much fuss being made by the Government that there are now busloads preparing to travel up from here so that they can join the protest and see what all the fuss is about. I think if the current Government had to deal with anything remotely like the red shirts inflicted on Bangkok for a month or two, they would all implode. It's going to get even more interesting I think as Governmental panic sets in !

I'm confused.On this forum the usual suspects were arguing fervently only yesterday that the government was bent on stirring up violence at the Pitak Siam rally.Now they appear upset that the government is taking steps to ensure that violence will not occur and that the rally will proceed peacefully.I'm not sure they can have it both ways.

Now we have to remember that we have heard rumors of an assination attempts on big brother, a kidnap plot on the PM, plus all the other rumors put out by what resembles the village rumor mill. Between the rumor mills, the drunks, those with other mental problems, then add in those with a eggratated self importance complexes, plus those who do not know their arse from from their pee hole, it could make for a right rowdy (as one put it, "cluster <deleted>.k)

So this rally will be controlled by the police rather than the army. This is as it should be, it's an internal situation. The army should only be used to protect the countries borders and not brought in to assisinate its citizens.

I'm confused.On this forum the usual suspects were arguing fervently only yesterday that the government was bent on stirring up violence at the Pitak Siam rally.Now they appear upset that the government is taking steps to ensure that violence will not occur and that the rally will proceed peacefully.I'm not sure they can have it both ways.

How can you of all people be confused?
  • Like 1

They have successfully turned what would have been a peaceful, short, trouble free rally into something that could now prove highly problematic.

I see that someone drank the kool aid. What is the point of a peaceful trouble free protest? Isn't the entire point to occupy and demand that a democratically elected government quit because you can't win an election?

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 2

They have successfully turned what would have been a peaceful, short, trouble free rally into something that could now prove highly problematic.

I see that someone drank and kool aid. What is the point of a peaceful trouble free protest? Isn't the entire point to occupy and demand that a democratically elected government quit because you can't win an election?

Not too dissimilar to what the Reds did back in 2010... except it wasn't trouble/violence free