3 Months To Go, And Have A Few Questions

Steveyf

3 Months left to go, hospital chosen, one more ultrasound left to go thought i had everything sorted then i think a bombshell just hit.

1) we had decided on an english name for our son but im sure i have just read that 1) because he is half thai being born in thailand he must have a thai name ? 2) because me and his mother are not married he must have a thai name ( we had planned on using the name Lucas from the minute we found out it was a boy)

can anyone confirm this ? and is there anyway around this ?

2) am i also correct that since we are not legally married the child will automatically take his mother's surname ?

3) ive got baby clothes and other small items i can carry over when i fly out for the birth, is there anything else i should really take from the uk to thailand that is either better quality/more available in the uk markets.

4) between 6months - 1 year we plan on taking our child over to meet my family since my family is not able to fly due to health reasons is there anything i need to get whilst im there that can help with the passport and visa process,

5) is there any other information that you think might be of use ?

6) in the event that im a remain at home country until i can take them both out here what is the best way to help with child support, i had this crazy thought of getting a bank card out in my name giving it to her and that way i can transfer the money from my account to that account and she can take out the funds there, that way im in charge of the card, it will only be a debit card, i avoid being raped by western union every time i make a transfer, is this crazy or somewhat perfectley acceptable ?

(off hand info, hopefully i will be out there for 3-4 weeks for before during and after the birth as we are planning on natural but will find out the rough size of the baby on the last scan, hopefully i will be in a rotation so it will give me the time to sort out alot of the details easier, however i must assume that i will be remainig in the uk under my current position)

thank you for your time

English Name is OK, my daughter has one and we only did the ceremony and did not register the marriage.

Get your surname on the birth cert. On the certs issue (if it's issued at the hospital) see if you can get a copy in English at the same time (I did).

You will need to get aThai passport for the baby for travel purposes to the UK.

Stop panicking and get your butt out here.

Send money via western union or TT it to her account. Don't give her your card!!

Good luck!!

well thank you for your reply i guess, but i will be out for the birth, unless something happens and she goes into early labour then im at the mercy of the airline

i was in a similar position(as you 10 yrs ago but I/we decided that it was better to throw caution to the heavens & I risked a dash to Thailand for a quick marraige & Visa application & took a chance on bringing the new missus to the UK ,got that sorted,she was borderline being allowed on her flight ,nigh on 6.5 months pregnant.

I cudda been at the mercy of the airline to but I cut that out by going with my heart.

English Name is OK, my daughter has one and we only did the ceremony and did not register the marriage.

Get your surname on the birth cert. On the certs issue (if it's issued at the hospital) see if you can get a copy in English at the same time (I did).

You will need to get aThai passport for the baby for travel purposes to the UK.

Stop panicking and get your butt out here.

Send money via western union or TT it to her account. Don't give her your card!!

Good luck!!

cheers for that, does your daughter have your surname even if not married ?

As ou are not married to the mother, you will not be the legal father of the child untill you legalise the child through the court inThailand. (You can get the child a UK passport without a problem if you are on the birth certificate, but under Thai law you will not be the father).

As a result, the child will have his mothers last name.

The Thai name part is a bit tricky, many amphurs will allow the foreign name without a problem. Eevn giving the child the surname of the father is not unheard of. But some wil not, and strictly speaking those who will not allow it are doing it by the book. (A Thai national must have a name that has a meaning in Thai).

4. get the child a UK passport and a Thai passport, then no visa is required for either country.

As Mario says, the names can be very hit and miss. Some districts will allow non-Thai names (prepare a Thai spelling for it now) and you may or may not be able to use your surname if you're not married. 20 years ago, my daughter got my surname even though I wasn't legally married to her mother, but a friend who registered his daughter's birth in another district at roughly the same time wasn't able to do the same.

If you have any official Thai documents that spell your surname in Thai, it's worth making sure that, if you can register with your surname, the spelling matches that in the documents. This might save some hassle later on.

Lucas is a nice name but Thais would pronounce it Rucas.

That idea with the bank card Ive thought about doing the same for my builder doing our house. I want to get a mastercard debit card from my bank here and then at the Thai atm if you press credit, it only charges the 150baht and not the overseas withdrawal amount. Anythings gotta be better than paying <deleted> western union. Also the exchange rate is always quite good.

Good luck with the bubs!!....mines due in 4 weeks..cant wait!!

Just did a quick straw pole of the 2 teenage kids in the same room as me now with little bit and almost no English and the result was surprising.

Both could say 'Lucas' without a problem and I was thinking the same as krisb above with the 'Rucus'.

Small sample size ... results may vary.

To the OP ... good luck all things.

Daughter born in Phuket

of a Thai lady has MY last name and we were not married

has an english name ( Angela) no thai name at all;

has a thai an US passport which were both easy to obtain,

To get her us passport we had to go to US consolute when they came down to Phuket and had one person say that the child was mine.

as far as banking goes, when ur here open a thai bank account that deals with ur home bank an than have an atm card issued. That way you can put the money in easily,

Stay away from western union, their fees are way to high!!!

Curious;

How do uplan on getting ur gf a visa to go visit ur relatives? Its not that easy, even if ur married it could take time

Edited by phuketrichard

-Steveyf-

I did never hear of a problem with the Falang names, I not maried,

have 1 boy in Chayaphum Amp. Phukiau amd 2 boys in Udon Thani Amp. Chaywan,

all three have my Family name and two have Falang first (calling) names, no problem at get that.

Bring a big case of beer to the Amphoe when you sign your birth certificate

and even than, they change names for you, seeing the beer!

If you bring some Western cigars for the occasion and deliver them to the men, (special the Boss of the department)

and women - they will bring them to their BF, Gigs and husbands.

They write everything you want than.

Only check well, how they write the names first name and family name-surname,

not, that you have a different unwanted translation and spelling in the Passport later.

Even in my GF's family the sisters have different Thai surnames in their Passport,

My GF is a "DETSAKUL" the other one is a "DETSAKUN" the third ? wink.png

Why your GF cannot open a Bank account in TH in her name, get a ATM card to

and you send money to that Thai account from your Bank account,even with Internet banking possible today,

without move out of the house!rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

cheers for that, when i saw her bank card i did not see any relation to uk bank cards and how i would be able to transfer money across but that is something i will now look into, thanks for that

as for getting her a visa to come here and visit, i think it should be no harder than getting a normal visa if we were together and not married ideally this wont be until 6months - year after our baby is born, this gives me plenty of time to sit down read through the jargon on the website and put together something. if i feel that its a bit over my head i will enlist the help of a visa agent but i do feel from what ive read that aslong as i dot the i's and cross my t's i should be ok.

thank you all for the info its been much appreciate