Denchai Or Phrae.... Western Breakfast?

isanbirder

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did realise that this was 'the end of the earth' as far as Thailand is concerned (I prefer Umphang), but I hoped for some reply! I arrive there one morning at 4 a.m. on an ill-timed bus, and have to hang around until about 11 a.m. to meet my friends from Chiangmai. So I need not only a place to eat, but also somewhere to get a few hours kip (basic hotel is fine... if it opens at that hour). Room maid not required!

Two years ago the hotel opposite the Phrae bus terminal had breakfast that included fried eggs. Haven't been back since. That hotel and another less expensive 200 yards further along back towards the town would have staff on duty 24 hours. Back along that road there are some hawker stalls set out early on the sidewalk but it would be things like salapao, khaoneeo wan not western food. Phrae would be a better choice than Den Chai.

Down on the P'lok corner across the road where the Nan Green Bus stops is a curry rice place. You could maybe get someone to cook up some eggs.

There is a love hotel up in Den Chai town behind the govt building but don't know how you would get there. Also a very old hotel near the train station. May not still be operating.

One problem with the Nakornchai Air bus stop is that it is a fair way from Denchai and Phrae, and I wonder whether there is any way of getting to either at that hour of the morning. I shall soon find out.

Meanwhile, thanks to those who have given information.

Phrae - it's not the 'the end of the earth' ... If you could stay on the NC Air bus till Phrae I would pick you up at the bus terminal.

It's about 20 min. to our place. You may have breakfast and/or take a nap and I'll bring you to DenChai bus station. No problem.

Just PM me the details.

Phrae - it's not the 'the end of the earth' ... If you could stay on the NC Air bus till Phrae I would pick you up at the bus terminal.

It's about 20 min. to our place. You may have breakfast and/or take a nap and I'll bring you to DenChai bus station. No problem.

Just PM me the details.

That's really nice of you, Wolfmuc. Unfortunately, judging from the NC Air buses I've been on, it doesn't go into Phrae; it stops a couple of hundred metres from the Pi-lok junction, at their own staging post. The friends I am meeting will be coming down from the north, and meeting me there, the NC bus stop, or Phrae, if I get that far!

I have been to Phrae before, more than once.... and it's rather a nice little town; I don't know how I'd feel about living there, though.