Internet Phone Calls Banned?

GuestHouse

AFAIK - from non-authoritative sources - internet telephoni is technical illegal in Thailand (due to monopoly regulations) - but don't take my word for it.

Most - if not all - of the blocking happens at ISP level. E.g. for an overlapping period I had two ISP's: LoxInfo and TRUE. Many sites, blocked at LoxInfo, were very unblocked at TRUE.

Sofar, I haven't had any problems with using Skype (either ISP), but these days each week seems to bring yet another Thai-based provider of public VoIP. Surely, once the ISP's and/or their subsidiarys/affiliates enter the market, Skype will be blocked at those ISP's who have entered it.

Edited by rishi

AFAIK - from non-authoritative sources - internet telephoni is technical illegal in Thailand (due to monopoly regulations) - but don't take my word for it.

Most - if not all - of the blocking happens at ISP level. E.g. for an overlapping period I had two ISP's: LoxInfo and TRUE. Many sites, blocked at LoxInfo, were very unblocked at TRUE.

Sofar, I haven't had any problems with using Skype (either ISP), but these days each week seems to bring yet another Thai-based provider of public VoIP. Surely, once the ISP's and/or their subsidiarys/affiliates enter the market, Skype will be blocked at those ISP's who have entered it.

am using skype and msn with true adsl, no problems so far

• 2 weeks later...
How would they stop you using a VOIP program like skype, seems it would be nigh on impossible to me. But, yes I believe VOIP is illegal as they havent worked out any way to make money out of it yet.

The way I've heard that it could be done is they add network software that picks out what look like VOIP packets. It doesn't stop the packet, but prioritizes the other data packets. VOIP call quality drops significantly and people make their own choice.