Family Child Under 18 Visa To Uk

hi, i'm resident in uk as british citizenship and i would like to bring my son from thailand( thai nationality 8 yr old) to come and live with me and join family as he have got half brother here too. i just wonder which the best visa should i apply? and will i be able to register my son as a british as i'm british now?? or will it best if my husband adopt him so he will get to register to be british(passport ) easier?? please any advice will help thank you.

Yes, you can in theory bring your son to live with you in the UK; he will need to apply for a settlement visa. As you now have now time restriction on your stay in the UK, he will, if successful, be issued Indefinite Leave to Enter.

As he is under 13, then once he is in the UK you will be able to register him as British; there is no need for your husband to formally adopt him; though he can, of course, do so if he wishes.

The official advice is to allow 12 weeks for a settlement application to be processed; though at quieter times it can take less.

However, as you now have British citizenship you must have been living in the UK separated from your son for at least three years. The major hurdle you will face is showing that you have been exercising sole responsibility during that period. You basically need to show that he is, and has been, living with your family, you have been in regular contact with him and his carers and you make all the decisions about his upbringing such as schooling.

See under Children in UK Settlement Visa Basics and British Citizenship Basics for more details.

• Like 1

thank you 7by7, i wondering if i go back to thailand2-3 week and apply for visa but i can't stay in thailand for a long period(12 week) while the visa processing time( obviously i need to come back to work in uk) does i still can apply a visa for my son?? does he need to come for interview?? many thanks.

hi their, does the application form satlement VISA and childs join family( VAF4A) does it a same thing?? it's this form that should i use to apply for my son in thailand?? does either of this typy of visa can my son go to school in uk?? help please, thank you.

Yes, your son can still apply even though you are not in Thailand yourself.

Very few applicants are interviewed face to face, though he will have to attend the visa application centre in Bangkok to submit the application and have his biometrics (fingerprints etc.) taken. If you are not there then someone else can take him.

Although he will not be interviewed face to face it is possible that his current carer will be interviewed by phone.

Yes, he applies using form VAF4A, though in Thailand it has to be completed online. See Applying for a UK visa in Thailand.

Once he is in the UK your local education authority has a legal obligation to provide him with a school place. You may want to contact them in advance to start the arrangements for this so a place is available for him once he arrives.

If you are not able to wait in Thailand while the visa is processed and so travel to the UK with him you will be able to arrange with the airline for someone to meet him at check in and accompany him onto the plane and then to meet him on arrival in the UK and accompany him through immigration and customs until you can meet him. Most airlines will provide this service free of charge, but you should request it when buying the ticket.

oh, one moremore thing do you know the agency for translate document? as i think i only need the stamp from agancy because i can translate most document myself, only birth circertificate that i really can't do it. as i don't have much time so i would like the agancy thats can do it quicly for me, any name of good agency please. thank you.

I can't recommend any particular one; it has been 12 years since we needed to do translations!

There are plenty near the embassy and the visa application centre in Bangkok.

I believe the sponsors of this forum also do translations.

As far as his visa application is concerned there is no need to have his birth certificate translated. However, you may need a translation once he is in the UK and it will be a lot cheaper to have it done in Thailand than the UK.