Popular Soap Defies Thailand's Social Reality

webfact

EDITORIAL

Popular soap defies Thailand's social reality

The Nation

Female viewers may admire the attitude and methods of the heroine, but such attitudes off-screen may still be a long way from being the norm

BANGKOK: -- Take away the likes of chainsaw murderers and man-eating aliens, and it's probably fair to say that most movies and TV dramas reflect lives or societies as they are and as we accept them, and even as we want them to be. How else can we explain the abundance of cinematic love stories between those at extreme ends of the wealth gap in countries like India, or the frequent portrayal of the CIA and FBI as complete idiots? In our imagination, we want to break through the barriers many of us abhor, subconsciously at least.

What does the immense popularity of "Raeng Ngao" tell us? As it approaches its climax, the Thai TV soap opera has attracted a massive following that includes both admirers and haters. The plot is about a beautiful woman hell-bent on taking a revenge for the suicide death of her broken-hearted twin sister. The premise is not that revolutionary, but mixed audience reactions are intriguing.

This is another "bad girl" drama that has taken Thai audiences' breath away. Thai soap fans are no strangers to revenge-turning-into-love plots, but it's not every day that they are able to watch a sexy female avenger on a no-holds-barred mission. Admirers cheer and critics cringe. But both groups have been glued to the tube all the same. A "Re-ya phenomenon" has come back, and the Thai audience can't get enough of an "un-Thai" heroine who many love to hate.

Maybe these viewers have been unknowingly fascinated by the hidden feminism in the plot, whether or not it was there intentionally. The character Muta represents the kind of women who punish themselves for failed romances or blatant exploitation. Munin is a more extraordinary kind of woman, holding men responsible for disastrous relationship.

The drama features typical male chauvinism, and how female characters cope with it in their own ways. There is no doubt why "Raeng Ngao" is very popular with Thai women, although opinions are split over whether Munin goes too far in search of revenge.

We don't want to be thrilled by Munin. We know her motives and how she will go about carrying out her plan. We want to follow an unorthodox character all the way to her destiny. This is a moral tightrope drama featuring a heroine who keeps pushing the sexual, romantic and social limits. She keeps telling the hero that he doesn't exactly know her. In a way, the audience is represented by the hero, whose key role is to try to second guess her. As the plot thickens, the hero's conventional thinking gives way to reluctant acceptance of her actions.

The production is fine, with - despite this being an old fiction - modern lifestyle elements thrown in, like the use of smart phones to advance key sub-plots. Various actors and actresses have been acclaimed, and the adapted screenplay reflects Thai soap opera at its tongue-lashing best. All the ingredients are there for "Raeng Ngao" to be up there with the top-rated Thai dramas. Only ratings do not quite tell if the Thai female audience wants to be like Munin or just wishes they could be like her.

If the predominantly female watchers of "Raeng Ngao" are craving social changes deep down in their hearts, records are not in favour of an upheaval in female attitudes. This is the third time in 24 years that Munin has exacted her revenge on Thai TV, and her every appearance has been mightily popular. Having monitored the "Raeng Ngao" phenomenon, social experts say the continued popularity of Munin means two things - that Thai society is still fantasising about changes but it needs something far stronger than a fantasy to really enforce the characters principles, though not her methods. In other words, life still finds it difficult to imitate art on this one. To be more specific, the much-maligned Director Jenpop character can jump off screen and live safe and sound in Thai society.

We can call it a dramatic cliche if or when the heroine and her hero somehow find a way to live happily ever after. It's a real-life cliche when what has driven her character to fascinate viewers so much remains strictly on the screen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 24

Production wise it is a mix of nice to horrible. Editors here need to learn when to 'cut'. The show drags and drags at all the wrong points. The storyline is absolutely pathetic and actors unlikely to get a job outside Thailand. But each to his/her own. If it what you are used to watching and there are no options, go with it. Living in theatrical/cinematic bliss is a choice. Thai's have their ways and Farang theirs. Never to the two shall mix.

Here is a link to a Thai actor who went to the US to learn his trade in NY. He recently returned and starred in a Grammy film about to be released. Look at the difference - film is in both English and Thai. Here is the link to the trailer. He used to host a show on the Fashion Channel - UBC 40 at the time. What a change...

Edited by asiawatcher

dramas reflect lives or societies as they are and as we accept them, and even as we want them to be.

Can't have all your cakes and eat them all.

Justice in Thailand is meted out daily. Believing that wronged parties don't exact revenge us absolute twaddle, and its only going to get more and more common. Divorce is up.

We don't need a soap opera to believe that men act with impunity.

• Like 1

We don't need a soap opera to believe that men act with impunity.

I agree, but what we need is a soap opera where men and women act with impunity (is this that?); how it really is.

No matter, keep your kids away from this stuff, folks, unless you want the connections in the cerebrum to be permanently fused and thus lose all line of reasoning/thinking. whistling.gif

Production wise it is a mix of nice to horrible. Editors here need to learn when to 'cut'. The show drags and drags at all the wrong points. The storyline is absolutely pathetic and actors unlikely to get a job outside Thailand. But each to his/her own. If it what you are used to watching and there are no options, go with it. Living in theatrical/cinematic bliss is a choice. Thai's have their ways and Farang theirs. Never to the two shall mix.

Here is a link to a Thai actor who went to the US to learn his trade in NY. He recently returned and starred in a Grammy film about to be released. Look at the difference - film is in both English and Thai. Here is the link to the trailer. He used to host a show on the Fashion Channel - UBC 40 at the time. What a change...

The theme was already done way back in the 1930's. It was called Reefer Madness.

Huh,...just yesterday I started a thread 'Chicken or Egg Thai TV ' ...in the General Topics just about this very thing ... Thai soapies. As for this article.... I can't believe that such a pseudo intellectual critique of this <deleted> could actually be printed. In the other thread I started I would be interested to hear some views.

Whenever I stumble on one of the Thai soaps while zapping the horribly bad acting makes me switch the channel within fractions of a second.

...or the constant and permanent shouting and screaming!

• Like 1

I have actually watched ~ 25% of this drama. I think the lead actress is pretty good, and I like flashbacks to when the twins were young. The main character is strong and independent. Her motivation for revenge, for her sister's being driven to suicide, is based on her guilt. But she is going over the top. I assume she'll figure that out in the final act?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I like how in every soap, characters always have to talk aloud to themsleves so that the viewers know what emotion their acting is failing to convey.

Piss poor acting coupled with abysmal script writing.

The really sad thing is the TV'ers who give their own critique of this dross. I guess we know what they are doing when not lurking on this forum. Sad.

I absolutely refuse to watch any Thai TV show that doesn't involve a midget or a cretin. rolleyes.gif

Wow you watch a lot of Thai soaps, where do you find the time to post on here?

It's tough, but someone's gotta do it. sad.png

I admire your courage, if it wasn't for people like you then the sponsorship dollars would disapear and a lot of thais may be out of work. Well done my friend, wish I had the same dedication and patience to be able to sit for 3 minutes and support the working class.

It's tough, but someone's gotta do it. sad.png

I admire your courage, if it wasn't for people like you then the sponsorship dollars would disapear and a lot of thais may be out of work. Well done my friend, wish I had the same dedication and patience to be able to sit for 3 minutes and support the working class.

I've a confession to make. Actually, I watch because I'm fascinated by the skin-whitening ads that are played during the breaks. :(

• Like 2

LMAO, some of theses posts are so true and hilarious.....

Thanks for snapping me back to reality, as i read this forum with broken leg, while my wife watches the abovementioned crap and I cant escape....I cringe everytime i see a crazed ghost, or crazed pocessed hand attack people while still attached to some young, spunky Thai sex symbol who cant control it, i just wished it would strangle him... hahaha....

Can only happen in Thailand!! thank God for that!!!

I am lucky to have the Universal channel plus other farang channels, atleast i can watch some American crap serials with half descent acting,,, lol

• Like 1

Haha--yep--deer in the headlights look indeed! I figure if i ever need to rob a bank i will do it during these crazy screaming soapies--good lord....

Its like a hypnotic stare as im trying to get the check and such when eating and all the staff are gathered round

staring at the shrieking phuyings on the boob tube...thats when i loot the place--leaving nothing but my card!!!whistling.gif

And kudos to the soapies for ingraining that whats really important is education--not riches-wealth and status!!!

I have most often found Thai soap operas as cringe makingly amateur, irritating and a total waste of time. But I have been hooked on this one.

The Thai actress and model, Janie Tienphosuwan is stunning to watch, she comes across as a true professional and someone that means business. She does not portray herself like a silly weepy little schoolgirl as many do in most of these soap operas, she is definitely hot stuff and all woman with total class. Her acting is sincere and convincing. I can describe her as a sort of a femme fatale with a conscience.

They seem to have got all the characters off to perfection and the acting is perfect, in my opinion a par with any American or Bollywood productions.

Watching this production has made a refreshing change and hope that this series will be a precedent for all future series on Thai TV.

post-110219-0-95418300-1353787451_thumb.

The theme was already done way back in the 1930's. It was called Reefer Madness.

Perhaps a more artistic way of putting the message across would be an improvement. But it certainly does cause Paranoia,among other serious side effects.

Edited by MAJIC