Night Safari

flip

I'm flying to CM next week and was wondering, if the night safari is worth a visit or not?? i hear so many different stories....

and also is it possible to get "discounted" tickets?? I was reading they are 800 Baht, which I find quite expensive.

can i maybe get with my thai id/drivers liscence a thai/local deal or are the prices for farangs/thais same??

thnks a lot

I can help you out on that. Yes, 800 is really overpriced for what you see.

Go to the little office on the right as you enter the building. You can barely see the girl inside the window. Ask for membership. It will cost you 500 baht and that is good for 6 months admission. Don't think you can pass the membership on to your friends though. Administration is far to smart for that.

There are two different rides you can take and see the animals from a tram. North and South they are called. You can feed most of the hoofed animals if you buy the little baskets of food sold by staff. 30 baht a basket. Watch the zebra, they can take your finger instead of the carrot.

I give the attraction a medium grade in interest and presentation. All the staff are very pleasant.

Allow two hours at least if you can.

Can not remember all the details but I believe we were obliged to walk through it as they had certain tour times and we could not fit them in.

Is it worth it that is a personal decision, Only you can make it for yourself. Some may say no it is very over priced. But what you don't know is they don't really care to see the animals any how. I went several years ago with my wife and son and did not regret it.

I thought the Night Safari was way overpriced,I was really looking forwards to going and was disappointed by the safari and the shows.

The lady guide said"look at the Elephant dancing" it was dancing it was insane the poor thing chained up 24 7 I assume in a small enclosure.

That scene will haunt me.

You ASSUME it is chained? Do you know what assume means? It makes a ass out of you ( u ) and me. Ass u me.

My mom taught me that.

Yes, some are chained and most are taught to do tricks with a heavy, heavy hand and bull hook, or ankus.

Is it wrong for people to make a living using animals? What about dog acts? Horse riding? Rodeos? SeaWorld parks?

No animal will perform without intense training. And yes, sometimes heavyhandedness. Sad, but true.

You ASSUME it is chained? Do you know what assume means? It makes a ass out of you ( u ) and me. Ass u me.

My mom taught me that.

Yes, some are chained and most are taught to do tricks with a heavy, heavy hand and bull hook, or ankus.

Is it wrong for people to make a living using animals? What about dog acts? Horse riding? Rodeos? SeaWorld parks?

No animal will perform without intense training. And yes, sometimes heavyhandedness. Sad, but true.

the thais i have spoken to don't like it. one complaint in particular about baby animals not treated well. i passed on it.

• Like 1

My mom taught me that.

What you say is true and can be cruel also.

Bit even worse is that the heavy handiness you speak of is also used in humans quite often and to far more despicable degrees. Yet you mention an Animal and all of a sudden the animal lovers step forth.Nothing wrong with loving animals but when they become more important than people that is carrying it to far.

In the animal world they do not treat each other that nice watch a cat with a bird or a mouse.

At any rate you must form your own opinion. As I say we walked through it and saw many animals that looked OK on the out side and had decent surroundings. In fact some of the ones you had to look hard to even see the animal.

To each their own so far there has been a few who don't like the way animals are treated some who have no opinion other than it was expensive. Myself I liked it. But like I say I was able to stand there and look about to find the animals it was not just a drive by to the next trained show or whatever. There was no shows when we were there.

• Like 1

Was there tonite for jazzfest--poured rain--seems ok but 800 yikes!!! id take the 500 membership

they do have a cool light/water/laser show----but i was there at night---def tourist trap---up to you..

I prefer to call it entertainment and not a tourist trap. If you don't like animals, don't go. The main attraction for those who like animals is the opportunity to hand feed them. The staff sell baskets of vegetables for 30 baht each and you take them on the tram ride. It stops at locations where the animals can approach you with no barrier what-so-ever. Quite a thrill to hand feed a giraffe or zebra.

Around 8 pm the laser/water show starts and is impressive. I have never heard nor see anything other than great respect and willingness to help shown by the staff. To suggest otherwise is difficult to believe.

• Like 1

The night safari's got a really good playground. You can go into a certain area of the night safari for 50 baht and see some different animals. I wasn't expecting much, but I found it to be a fun , relaxing time. We showed the kids, and they seemed to enjoy it. We didn't do the ride thing, or even really go through at night, so I can't comment on that. But, for 50 baht, we enjoyed it. The animals we saw: Giraffe, Camels, white tigers, lions, elephants, deer, turtles, chimps, peacocks, owls, pygmy hippos, tapir, some other cats, variety of birds, iguanas, maybe some more I'm missing.

The night safari's got a really good playground. You can go into a certain area of the night safari for 50 baht and see some different animals. I wasn't expecting much, but I found it to be a fun , relaxing time. We showed the kids, and they seemed to enjoy it. We didn't do the ride thing, or even really go through at night, so I can't comment on that. But, for 50 baht, we enjoyed it. The animals we saw: Giraffe, Camels, white tigers, lions, elephants, deer, turtles, chimps, peacocks, owls, pygmy hippos, tapir, some other cats, variety of birds, iguanas, maybe some more I'm missing.

Indeed, on our last (free) visit we discovered the newly constructed indoor/outdoor playground for the children. There is even some pretty neat stuff in the indoor part for the grow up up kids wink.png as well. I was VERY surprised at how clean the whole thing was and the apparent attention to safety that you don't see often. My kid loved it.

I wasn't happy that I had to pay the full adult fare (B800) for my 11 year old son as he was too tall. I had his ID to show them his age but they wouldn't budge which is totally unfair IMO.

How do you judge an 11 year old an adult?

Won't be going back.

I wasn't happy that I had to pay the full adult fare (B800) for my 11 year old son as he was too tall. I had his ID to show them his age but they wouldn't budge which is totally unfair IMO.

How do you judge an 11 year old an adult?

Won't be going back.

I agree. That is totally unfair. I would have complained. Actually the g/f would have complained loudly until they dropped the price. laugh.png

The night safari is lame. My kids got nothing out of it at all.

You should have made them leave their iphones at home. laugh.png

3 year olds don't have iphones

I should hope not. An Ipad2 is more than enough for a 3 year old.

She has an ipad 1.

A 3 year old would not understand the Night Safari or anything else for that matter except perhaps sweeeeeeeeeeet food. whistling.gif .........................................smile.png

A 3 year old would not understand the Night Safari or anything else for that matter except perhaps sweeeeeeeeeeet food. whistling.gif .........................................smile.png

Yes, she has known was a zebra is since she was 2

Oh come on kurnell ... we all know that there are no Zebras in Thailand ... biggrin.png

My sister, on here first visit here tried to think differently ... and almost got herself killed (trying to cross the road there and assumed that the cars would stop)!

BTW ... timely thread ... I'm going to Chiang Mai this week with the gf and her parents and was contemplating the Night Safari.

Oh come on kurnell ... we all know that there are no Zebras in Thailand ... biggrin.png

My sister, on here first visit here tried to think differently ... and almost got herself killed (trying to cross the road there and assumed that the cars would stop)!

BTW ... timely thread ... I'm going to Chiang Mai this week with the gf and her parents and was contemplating the Night Safari.

I thought it was OK smile.png , l have done all the USA stuff which really spoils us BUT for Thai folk perhaps they will have a good time, my mrs did. thumbsup.gif