We Lost To Evil: Rally Leader

Lite Beer

Funny how on the one hand we have people here applauding a protest gathering barely an hour or two old being immediately clamped down on, to the point where a lot of people weren't even allowed to leave their own provinces and come to Bangkok, much less actually protest, and on the other hand we have people complaining about draconian laws that stifle free speech.

What clamp down? The protest at the rally site preceeded peacefully until the evening. It was presumably called off due to lack of numbers, not because of a clamp down. There would've been no need for any police action had protesters used one of the other routes to the rally site as directed by police. Thousands of others managed to arrive at the protest site by freely accessible routes, yet a small group chose not to follow them. Who knows why? The police had only blocked roads that lead to key buildings like government house. And perhaps the reason the protesters wanted to get through this particular barricade is as Richard Barrow at the scene tweeted yesterday: 'The intention of the protesters on Ratchadamnoen Nok Rd is clear. They want to push through police lines towards Government House.'

I don't think police should've just let them through, do you? On the other hand, perhaps the use of tear gas was premature. But I'm not sure if the truck incident preceeded the use of tear gas or not. If it didn't, then the tear gas use surely was justified, as you can hardly fight off a truck with a baton. As for protesters upcountry being blocked - I'd agree that certainly is anti-democratic, although the scale upon which it happened isn't clear. Was it just a few people delayed for a while, or was it thousands being blocked?

However, trying to prevent protesters coming in from outside Bangkok isn't a tactic particular to this government: "The crowd did not approach the dreamy promise of a million people, but as the sun-baked BBC correspondent breathlessly exclaimed, it was the biggest political gathering in Thailand for over three decades. This was no small feat given the obstructions. It's not so difficult to stage a rally when attendees only have to change their shirt and take a short taxi hop from the office. The logistics are a lot more difficult and expensive when the rally site is hundreds of kilometres away. Provincial governors were ordered to obstruct the movement of people. Police set up countless checkpoints. Pro-Newin elements in the northeast laid on entertainment and issued threats to deter people from leaving for the capital. The media carried reports about money distributed to protesters to move. None carried reports about the money spent to prevent them moving. Despite all these efforts, downtown Bangkok was a sea of red. The 10-kilometre column from Rajdamnoen to Phaholyothin broke records." http://www.robinlea.com/changnoi3/

Like the red shirts, I'm sure upcountry Pitak Siam protesters would've reached the site eventually... but it was called off early, so we'll never know.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 2

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to make something clear, a bit that is.

In the last election the PAD (aka yellow shirts) advocated a 'no' vote. The Democrats were on a different list. PS = PAD = Dems is therefor incorrect. Now if some said red-shirts = UDD = Pheu Thai that would be much closer to the truth, as it is well known I think that we have a good dozen Pheu Thai party list UDD leader MPs.

Oh btw the election result as reported on the 4th of July 2011 was:

Pheu Thai party: 15,744,190 votes (44.38% of cast, 33.57% of regist.) 265 seats

Democrat party: 11,433,762 votes (32.24% of cast, 24.38% of regist.) 159 seats

Now back to the OP of evil loosers

That is extremely unclear.

Could you then explain why several Dem MPs, including their deputy leader, attended the yellows' demonstration against the reading of the reconciliation bill outside parliament earlier this year?

'attended'? Why obviously because they were also concerned about the 'reconciliation bills' being pushed through ruthlessly. There may have been people from other political parties but not identified, maybe even normal people (gasp). Doesn't make them yellow shirts though. The PAD leaders allowed their followers to join the rally yesterday. The Dems spoke out against the 'if I could I would' coup plotter.

So, Pheu Thai party list UDD leader MPs seem a bit more proof of 'PTP = UDD = red-shirts' than a Dems MP joining a PAD rally 'Dems = PAD = yellow-shirts'.

Now, stop those silly questions please and let's just bash the 'evil leader', Gen Boonlert that is (this time)wink.png

Pitak Siam lost to common sense and democracy !

For quite some time already a growing number of us are saying that the posters mentioned above ^^ and those who support them are getting increasingly out of touch with the feelings of the large majority of the Thai population.

You are absolutely right G.

The above mentioned posters and many many more are so out of touch with majority of Thai's. I mean near 70%, a vast majority believe corruption and cronyism is good and is accepted as normal in a Thai democracy. Why on earth would anybody want other than a self serving government?

Obviously it baffles you and myself and the vast majority of Thai's, why these TVF posters cant get on board with this sound democracy.

The deems are no different, don't try and make out it's just this government

One crucial difference though, is that Abhisit used the army and sanctioned the firing of live ammunition at the protesters of 2010. Yesterday protesters were controlled by police using tear gas.

No one was killed.

One crucial difference though, is that Abhisit used the army and sanctioned the firing of live ammunition at the protesters of 2010. Yesterday protesters were controlled by police using tear gas.

No one was killed.

No police were killed by grenades either.

• Like 1

Pitak Siam lost to common sense and democracy !

For quite some time already a growing number of us are saying that the posters mentioned above ^^ and those who support them are getting increasingly out of touch with the feelings of the large majority of the Thai population.

You are absolutely right G.

The above mentioned posters and many many more are so out of touch with majority of Thai's. I mean near 70%, a vast majority believe corruption and cronyism is good and is accepted as normal in a Thai democracy. Why on earth would anybody want other than a self serving government?

Obviously it baffles you and myself and the vast majority of Thai's, why these TVF posters cant get on board with this sound democracy.

The deems are no different, don't try and make out it's just this government

No one was killed.

Strewth! Even canaries tell porky pies.

Abhisit, as part of the overseeing committee, authorized the use of live fire in self defence.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

With the BBc running graphic pictures of a capital city using tear gas on its own citizens just days after Obama flew out, I think the protest has to be accepted as a resounding success.

That image of a once again riot torn Thailand, politically ill at ease with itself, has been re-enforced for all independant watchers.

Also, I believe it will provide the catalyst to other anti Thaksin groups; for that is what all this unrest is about.

They have identified themselves as another section of society alienated by the endemic corruption visited upon society by the eliteThaksin clan.

The next step will be for this group of protesters to become enbraced by others and the numbers simply swell.

The problem for Thailand is that there is no application of the law. There is an insignificant priviledged elite who dominate economically and politically to preserve their vested interests and who thereby damage the remaining 99% of society. They keep the poor without hope due to pursuing policies that benefit only themselves.

That is Thailand summised.

The answer is to take action as democracy exists only as a concept. As does the law.

The people are right to take to the streets. Their problem is only that they are never effective enough. This blind notion that a million is needed is erroneous. It will take the entire rising of a nation in order to dislodge the corrupt elite who have raped this country for a century.

I believe it will happen as history shows us once protest is on the agenda; once people start taking to the streets there is no turning back. But rather a gathering storm that does eventually sweep away all that is in its path. In this case it can be seen that it is the Police [ the Thaksin stalwarts] who are once again surpressing the people. The Army are observers. That remains a major division.

Democracy does include protest. Protest does include the legitimate tearing down of the old; Libya never fell without violence, neither did Egypt; neither did France or Russia. America gained independence through war. Therefore, we expect an escalation of violence beyond anything that Thailand has ever experienced. Also, with the emphasis on change in Burma it is clear that Thais will see what can be achieved through protest. Yet if they are denied change here, unlike in Burma, then violence will be organised and will erupt.

History also tells us that the leaders of such countries do not capitulate. Gaddaffi certainly was dragged kicking and screaming, and I expect the Thaksin clan to be little different even as the writing is firmly written on the walls.

But change will come as the alternatative will remain endemic debt and poverty for the rural poor, no political system for the middle classes and everything for the few, who contribute so little, at the top.

What is happening in the rest of the world will not somehow be mysteriously buffered from Thailand.

Change, revoultion, protest, call it what you will, has already started and continues to gather strength.

Already in China the newly created wealth has spawned a second generation elite who are despised. That problem is in its infancy at birth and yet immediately the Chinese perceive this problem of inequality as something they must address - the re-distribution of wealth - otherwise their political system is under threat.

Yet Thailand does not have a political ruling elite in the same way as here it remains a single family. The Thaksins. Where the rape of a countries resources is the objective and a political ideology is not there has to be change. The only way that will be achieved is through violent struggle and the actions of protesters taking to the streets show that. Whetehr it is the middle east, africa, burma or here.

It was a successful protest.

They all are.

You make some very good points, but remember, Thaksin's family are relative newcomers to the elite. In fact this is a major part of the problem, the resentment of the old elite against the nouveau riche. There are families way more established and influential than the Shinawatrs. It was not Taksin that turned the guns onto those nurses sheltering in the temple back in May 2010. Another group were in power at that time.

No one was killed.

Abhisit, as part of the overseeing committee, authorized the use of live fire in self defence.

Yep, those nurses administering first aid must have been a terrible threat to Abhisit!

No one was killed.

Yep, those nurses administering first aid must have been a terrible threat to Abhisit!

Where is the proof? Where is the conviction?

Funny how on the one hand we have people here applauding a protest gathering barely an hour or two old being immediately clamped down on, to the point where a lot of people weren't even allowed to leave their own provinces and come to Bangkok, much less actually protest, and on the other hand we have people complaining about draconian laws that stifle free speech.

What clamp down?

I didn't mean a violent clamp down. I was referring to the road blocks and the tactic of stopping people getting to Bangkok. Clamping down as in stopping people.

With regards the skirmishes between those who did make it to Bangkok and the police, i am pretty much of the same mind as you. Using gas was probably overboard but if the police erect a barrier, it's right that they shouldn't simply stand by and allow the barrier to be removed.

Like the red shirts, I'm sure upcountry Pitak Siam protesters would've reached the site eventually... but it was called off early, so we'll never know.

With regards the protest being called off early, do you know how long it was actually planned for? To me a day or two for protesting is about right, so i wouldn't have called it, called off early, but that is just me. Perhaps PS organisers had different ideas. Anyway, they certainly got plenty of media coverage, and they can now moan about oppression of free speech, and regroup for their next shin-dig, so i guess they will feel it was worth it.

From my perspective, i feel a pressure group highlighting some of the problems with the government wouldn't be a bad thing, but wish that,

1) it was a pressure group without any extremist element

2) it looked at using other ways of getting itself heard rather than the usual let's lay siege on Bangkok

Bangkok has had enough of this crap. Yes i speak for 10 million people! I checked with them all this morning.

I condemned the red shirts when they thought it their right to take over Bangkok and make demands on behalf of all Thai people about the government, and having taken that stand, that gives me the right to condemn anyone else who plans on doing the same sort of thing.

There are many people here however who have no right to condemn the actions of Pitak Siam, because for the last two years they have been defending the exact same sort of behaviour (just about ten times more intense and protracted) by a different group, just in that case a group they happen to support. Rank hypocrisy abounds.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

But since PitakSiam represents the same constituency as PAD ( with many of the same people and groups involved)I am afraid your attempt to distance the Democrats from the fascists falls at the first fence.

I'm not convinced that 'constituency' is the correct word.

If you believe that Democrat MPs were present, then present your facts to corroborate your statement.

"Constituency" is exactly the right word.I did not say Democrat MPs were present.I said that many of the groups and people involved with Pitak Siam were also involved with PAD (and Democrat MPs including Abhisit and Korn had very close links with the latter).

In the political sense, a constituency is a geographically denominated area contested in an election by opposing parties. Pitak Siam has never contested an election and the PAD's New Politics group effectively stood against the Dems so your statement holds water like a second hand colander.

Furthermore your attempts to directly connect the Dems to Pitak Siam's rally are so tenuous as to be unworthy of pixels.

I am not trying to link specific Democrats to the Siam Pitak rally though I'm sure many attended.I am saying that Siam Pitak included many of the same people and groups as PAD.The relationship between leading Democrats and PAD is matter of record.The common denominator is not just a hatred of Thaksin but a fear of the implications of a genuinely democratic Thailand.

And yes they serve much the same constituency (I'm not really in the business of educating you how the English language is employed,but my use of the word 'constituency' is both precise and accurate.

Moruya said:

Abhisit, as part of the overseeing committee, authorized the use of live fire in self defence."

Okay and now go back to Google, as I told you before, and look up "self defence" and explain to me, how what ever he ordered could be "self defence", using the army! By the way: did you find out, what "Gestapo" and "fascism" are....?

Edited by DocN

maybe next time, people should protest for general elections if they have a probelm with this government.

no problem with that whatsoever, whether i agree with their reasoning or not.

this group was just a ridiculous joke from the beginning.

The same old bla bla, so what you are saying is: corruption, nepotism etc is OK because they are elected?

corruption and nepotism isn't the problem.

The problem is that PTP or Thaksin want to bring all the 3 powers government, police and courts under his power. With good reason these should be independent from each other.

As well he try to control the army.

he has government and police now under full control and limited control of courts and military. There he has people who follow and people who oppose him.

To make it worse his desire of a 1 party system.

The corruption is a minor problem in compare with that.

Most coups in Thailand happened because of Army or some other high profile people in Thailand,so Thaksin did the right thing to try to control all of them.Until those people are still in power,Thailand will never move on.What really scares me are sentences like" I am ready to be arrested by police for publicising clips of red-shirt leaders allegedly committing lese majeste offences"By Gen Boonlert,or when Gen.Boonlert calls his army friends,it reminds me of former east germany were 50% of population worked for the stasi and tried to to put the other 50% into prison,makes me wonder who is evil

The common denominator is not just a hatred of Thaksin but a fear of the implications of a genuinely democratic Thailand.

They fear the implications of a genuinely democratic Thailand? Really?

OK then, perhaps then someone should go and tell them that they really need not, as in a genuinely democratic Thailand, Thaksin and all his cronies that they hate so much, would no longer exist.

I am not trying to link specific Democrats to the Siam Pitak rally though I'm sure many attended.I am saying that Siam Pitak included many of the same people and groups as PAD.The relationship between leading Democrats and PAD is matter of record.The common denominator is not just a hatred of Thaksin but a fear of the implications of a genuinely democratic Thailand.

And yes they serve much the same constituency (I'm not really in the business of educating you how the English language is employed,but my use of the word 'constituency' is both precise and accurate.

You are 'sure' many attended but I am sure you couldn't name one. Just muckraking again.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/constituency?q=constituency

I assume the OED meets your standards

Most coups in Thailand happened because of Army or some other high profile people in Thailand,so Thaksin did the right thing to try to control all of them.Until those people are still in power,Thailand will never move on.What really scares me are sentences like" I am ready to be arrested by police for publicising clips of red-shirt leaders allegedly committing lese majeste offences"By Gen Boonlert,or when Gen.Boonlert calls his army friends,it reminds me of former east germany were 50% of population worked for the stasi and tried to to put the other 50% into prison,makes me wonder who is evil

One side wants a coup and the other side wants to go back to Thaksin ... which would probably lead to a lot more protests and a coup.

Most people want to move forward without Thaksin and without a coup.

PTP are in government. Can't they just be happy with that and start running the country for all the people?

• Like 1

The common denominator is not just a hatred of Thaksin but a fear of the implications of a genuinely democratic Thailand.

OK then, perhaps then someone should go and tell them that they really need not, as in a genuinely democratic Thailand, Thaksin and all his cronies that they hate so much, would no longer exist.

Does this actually mean anything - especially the second para?

Lost not to a evil leader..but to a stupid cause...people are fed up...bah.gif

Who cares about the people? Money talks.

The people believe (more than 60%) that corruption is OK. They got what they voted for, they got what they believe in. Who can complain?

Precisely the reason why all the little TV minions should to stop whining and sthu.

You are 'sure' many attended but I am sure you couldn't name one. Just muckraking again.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/constituency?q=constituency

I could name several.My neighbour is one.Who on earth do you think most of the Pitak Siam rally attenders voted for in the last election ? Duh!

No more please on the 'constituency' matter.I can't deal with it!

Does this actually mean anything - especially the second para?

Para 2 above is as logical as the remainder of their rhetoric.

One side wants a coup and the other side wants to go back to Thaksin ... which would probably lead to a lot more protests and a coup.

PTP are in government. Can't they just be happy with that and start running the country for all the people?

Of course they could but the problem with that is there is little or no money to be skimmed off if they are running the country for all the people. Besides they could not care less about the people because they don't care anything at all. Edited by Pimay1

Lost not to a evil leader..but to a stupid cause...people are fed up...bah.gif

Who cares about the people? Money talks.

The people believe (more than 60%) that corruption is OK. They got what they voted for, they got what they believe in. Who can complain?

Precisely the reason why all the little TV minions should to stop whining and sthu.

Are you including yourself in that statement?

Those of you who think this was nothing to do with the Dems obviously didn't watch the show co-hosted by the sniveling Suthep on Blue Sky last night

What an exciting life you lead.

I certainly had better things to do.

Please elaborate on your evening's constructive education.

Probably why you are ill-informed and misguided in your views.

http://oxforddiction...?q=constituency

I could name several.My neighbour is one.Who on earth do you think most of the Pitak Siam rally attenders voted for in the last election ? Duh!

Now, now jayboy you being so much more intelligent and smarter that the rest of us old uneducated guys I know you can deal with it.

What clamp down?

I didn't mean a violent clamp down. I was referring to the road blocks and the tactic of stopping people getting to Bangkok. Clamping down as in stopping people.

With regards the skirmishes between those who did make it to Bangkok and the police, i am pretty much of the same mind as you. Using gas was probably overboard but if the police erect a barrier, it's right that they shouldn't simply stand by and allow the barrier to be removed.

With regards the protest being called off early, do you know how long it was actually planned for? To me a day or two for protesting is about right, so i wouldn't have called it, called off early, but that is just me. Perhaps PS organisers had different ideas. Anyway, they certainly got plenty of media coverage, and they can now moan about oppression of free speech, and regroup for their next shin-dig, so i guess they will feel it was worth it.

From my perspective, i feel a pressure group highlighting some of the problems with the government wouldn't be a bad thing, but wish that,

1) it was a pressure group without any extremist element

2) it looked at using other ways of getting itself heard rather than the usual let's lay siege on Bangkok

Bangkok has had enough of this crap. Yes i speak for 10 million people! I checked with them all this morning.

I condemned the red shirts when they thought it their right to take over Bangkok and make demands on behalf of all Thai people about the government, and having taken that stand, that gives me the right to condemn anyone else who plans on doing the same sort of thing.

There are many people here however who have no right to condemn the actions of Pitak Siam, because for the last two years they have been defending the exact same sort of behaviour (just about ten times more intense and protracted) by a different group, just in that case a group they happen to support. Rank hypocrisy abounds.

Nice, so now you are the self-appointed arbiter of who has standing to complain about anything political. I am sure every one will heed that pronouncement.

http://oxforddiction...?q=constituency

According to your logic, the PS are all yellow shirts and therefore voted 'No'.

// French language removed, this is an English language forum //

Edited by metisdead

Those of you who think this was nothing to do with the Dems obviously didn't watch the show co-hosted by the sniveling Suthep on Blue Sky last night

What an exciting life you lead.

I certainly had better things to do.

Please elaborate on your evening's constructive education.

Probably why you are ill-informed and misguided in your views.

Really? Which ones?

,I don't think the government or democrats,army,elite and others have any interest in a peaceful democratic Thailand,all is about to keep power and get more,for me and for most Thais Yingluck[Thaksin]is more sympathetic than the others,but it does not mean they are good.
  • Like 2