Demonstrators Told To Confront Police

Lite Beer

What a nice picture for our friend Buscholtz who were asking yesterday if we had any proof that it was actually the protestors who were responsible for the violence during the demonstration.

What a thoughtless statement.

It was the protesters fault had nothing to do with the fact that they were protesting against the government.

The big question for some who are slow is why did the police send so many anti riot police to the demonstration and try to box them in to a small area with barb wire, They came prepared to provoke it.

Have they ever used any where near these tactics on the red shirt demonstrators. Of course not they did not want to turn them into violent situations.

It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. First the Government whips up fear of violence by claiming plans to kill there leader then they discover plans to kidnap Yingluck and others.

Some times I wonder if other countries have the same low standard of education as Thailand their posts would indicate it.

Haha, there he goes again with the barb wire made us do it excuse. Yep those protesters saw that barb wire and were driven to the brink of insanity causing them to get violent, cut the barb wire and charge the police. Yeah, I agree that if the cops did not bring the barb wire the protesters would have not felt the need to cut through it and charge the police.

Now the number of police present made the protesters act like thugs and try to incite violence. I agree that if there were only 10 cops there the protesters would have been in their best behaviour and would have never attempted to over run 10 cops.

So your lesson to the government is that you guys cannot have peaceful protests if there is barb wire present and a lot of cops there. You guys see barb wire and cops everywhere will lose it and act like thugs.

I am sure if they promise to act nice next time Yingluck will use paper machette barricades and assign the 10 hottest female traffic cops as the security.

Two days ago he was saying that any violence by yellow shirts was going to be red shirts in disguise. Now he's defending them. I'm confused.

I know. It's a comedy routine like who's on first, what's on second.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nice picture for our friend Buscholtz who were asking yesterday if we had any proof that it was actually the protestors who were responsible for the violence during the demonstration.

It was the protesters fault had nothing to do with the fact that they were protesting against the government.

The big question for some who are slow is why did the police send so many anti riot police to the demonstration and try to box them in to a small area with barb wire, They came prepared to provoke it.

Have they ever used any where near these tactics on the red shirt demonstrators. Of course not they did not want to turn them into violent situations.

It dosen't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. First the Government whips up fear of violence by claiming plans to kill there leader then they discover plans to kidnap Yingluck and others.

Some times I wonder if other countries have the same low standard of education as Thailand their posts would indicate it.

Haha, there he goes again with the barb wire made us do it excuse. Yep those protesters saw that barb wire and were driven to the brink of insanity causing them to get violent, cut the barb wire and charge the police. Yeah, I agree that if the cops did not bring the barb wire the protesters would have not felt the need to cut through it and charge the police.

Now the number of police present made the protesters act like thugs and try to incite violence. I agree that if there were only 10 cops there the protesters would have been in their best behaviour and would have never attempted to over run 10 cops.

So your lesson to the government is that you guys cannot have peaceful protests if there is barb wire present and a lot of cops there. You guys see barb wire and cops everywhere will lose it and act like thugs.

I am sure if they promise to act nice next time Yingluck will use paper machette barricades and assign the 10 hottest female traffic cops as the security.

as always you miss the point,

Haha, no unfortunately I get it. I was just responding at a similar intellectual level as his logic. I think you are the one whose hair is flapping in the wind as all of this went swiftly over the top of your head.

Nonsense.

The police prepared for one million protestors hence their numbers. Secondly they did not fence the protestors in a small area with barbed wire, they secured areas there were out of bounds to the protestors such as parliament and the UN, the protestors chose to attack the police to try and gain access to these areas.

Amazing already trying to rewrite the facts.

Nonsense.

The police prepared for one million protestors hence their numbers. Secondly they did not fence the protestors in a small area with barbed wire, they secured areas there were out of bounds to the protestors such as parliament and the UN, the protestors chose to attack the police to try and gain access to these areas.

Arresting over a hundred protestors within 2-3 hours after the protest kicked of is normal right? Especially normal in Thailand right?

There should be no mob rule whatever the case/colour, that's for sure. There is hypocrisy and short memory on both sides.

However after witnessing the police force's total ineffectiveness in both 2009 and 2010 against the red shirts, yesterday I must say they were extremely effective. If they had actually done their job in 2009 and 2010 perhaps the army would not have had to be called on.

I think employing CS gas so early in the day yesterday was totally unnecessary, it was for sure a statement. They had the superior numbers, and were containing the situation very effectively without having to resort to it.

The police force are public servants, and as such work for all in the country. To see them as such an obvious political tool is sad.

Would you prefer that the police had run in and cracked the protesters with batons instead of tear gas?

Pitak supporters cur the wire and got toe to toe with the police. Indeed, batons would have been so much calmer huh?

Engage brain before mouth please, suggest you take your red tinted glasses off and reread the post, it was about selective policing.

BTW I was actually there, the police had far superior numbers and could of held them back with minimal fuss. I did actually comment on how effective they were.

Its not about holding them back it was about directing them down a certain route.

Hardly an extreme condition. They cut the wire and approached the cops. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

In most parts of the world, people don't charge or challenge police lines and get away half so lightly.

How would you like to be a policeman in Thailand? You follow orders as you are supposed to, you get criticized two years ago for not responding quickly enough to the red shirt movement, and now you get criticized for trying to please those criticizing you now for responding too quickly. Let's give the police on the front line our support for doing what they are told, and if need be, go after the ones giving the orders the criticism. I certainly hope they deal with the spokespeople on the truck that stirred up the crowd in a manner that will stop a repeat of their actions.

What really irks me is Pitak Siam and their allies using the monarchy as a cover and misleading many Thais who love the Thai King....... encouraging so many old ladies to turn up when they know there will be a confrontation with riot police........ absolutely shameless.

• Like 1

There should be no mob rule whatever the case/colour, that's for sure. There is hypocrisy and short memory on both sides.

However after witnessing the police force's total ineffectiveness in both 2009 and 2010 against the red shirts, yesterday I must say they were extremely effective. If they had actually done their job in 2009 and 2010 perhaps the army would not have had to be called on.

I think employing CS gas so early in the day yesterday was totally unnecessary, it was for sure a statement. They had the superior numbers, and were containing the situation very effectively without having to resort to it.

The police force are public servants, and as such work for all in the country. To see them as such an obvious political tool is sad.

Would you prefer that the police had run in and cracked the protesters with batons instead of tear gas?

Pitak supporters cur the wire and got toe to toe with the police. Indeed, batons would have been so much calmer huh?

Engage brain before mouth please, suggest you take your red tinted glasses off and reread the post, it was about selective policing.

BTW I was actually there, the police had far superior numbers and could of held them back with minimal fuss. I did actually comment on how effective they were.

Its not about holding them back it was about directing them down a certain route.

Hardly an extreme condition. They cut the wire and approached the cops. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

In most parts of the world, people don't charge or challenge police lines and get away half so lightly.

How wrong you are, it was not about directing them down a certain route at all. The protesters tried to force their way across Makkawan bridge outside the UN northwards towards the rally site, the police had far superior numbers, not to mention equipment. They could have just held them off in the morning without employing gas. The tactic of holding the protesters back without gas certainly worked the rest of the day.

What was the fence there for then? Ornamental purposes? They cut the fence and ran to the police line. Hold them off with what? Get into a street fight better you say?

I am quite amazed they let them even cut the wires.

Were you there? If not I suggest you stop yourself looking even more foolish than already (if possible) your ignorance of the situation on the ground is outstanding.

You say' Hold them off with what? ' Duh!.................................. shields (that's what they are designed for, and police trained in their use) like they managed to for 99% of the rest of the day

Edited by sungod

What was the fence there for then? Ornamental purposes? They cut the fence and ran to the police line. Hold them off with what? Get into a street fight better you say?

Were you there? If not I suggest you stop yourself looking even more foolish than already (if possible) your ignorance of the situation on the ground is outstanding.

It's on video.

You say' Hold them off with what? ' Duh!.................................. shields (that's what they are designed for, and police trained in their use) like they managed to for 99% of the rest of the day

Is this the mentality that allows people took drive the wrong way up roads. There is a bloody big load of razor wire and concrete barriers.

It means, don't go this way.

• Like 1

Is this the mentality that allows people took drive the wrong way up roads. There is a bloody big load of razor wire and concrete barriers.

It means, don't go this way.

Don't you think a sign would have been more polite?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

A bit of overkill the number of police versus protesters. Also the routing of protesters seems a bit strange. Doesn't crowd control recommend using the shortest routes to get people to/from a rally site ?

Anyway 'clearly these were thugs'. Probably correct. So now waiting for the 'but the majority of protesters was peaceful'

Peaceful protesters would not be a part of an agenda predicated upon violence and removing Yingluck no matter what the costs or once they heard the kill Yingluck stuff they would have split if they had any integrity.

Saying the number of police is overkill is just more playing victim card bs again. Given the threats against the PM, the valid concerns of violence and the request for a coup they needed to be out in full force. National security was at stake and better to have too many than not enough. If they lost control of that situation, they might not have been able to regain control until it was too late. Criticizing number of cops as being too many given what was at stake is truly beyond comprehension.

The government was asking for violence by a concerted strategy of alleged rumours. 'kidnap the PM, 'third hand', 'out to kill' and their intention of '50,000 police ready', '200,000 red-shirts on call', etc., etc. That's asking for violence, not preventing it. The Royal Plaza was surrounded by razorblade wire everywhere. Protesters funnelled through slowly. All measures to make even a peaceful minded person somewhat annoyed. Luckily this lot wasn't into grenade lobbing.

• Like 2

Well, apart from stupid comments about 'thugs' & the like, the government's overkill worked & the rally was peaceful overall. I'm sure that some were prevented from attending by banning under 18s, stopping upcountry groups & not-so-discrete warnings of thousands of police & those mysterious 23,000 'volunteers'.

The police overreacted? Yes but not too badly - they had the numbers & didn't really need to use tear gas. It's hard, but I have to give the BIB some faint praise. What a pity they couldn't have behaved the same way in 2010. But we know why & I'll only have any confidence in them when they stop showing their partiality &, even more importantly, are not used by Chalerm & the family's police chief as their tools.

• Like 1

Nonsense.

Truly amazing, already rewriting the facts.

- the police (or maybe just Dept. PM Pol Captain Chalerm) expected a bit more than the few hundred they guestimated joined a few weeks before.

- Royal Plaza was surrounded by razorblade wire

- protesters were funnelled through streets bordered by razorblade wire and lots of police

- the first attack on the police seems to have been when protesters wanted to go straight to Royal Plaza, but were told 'go right, than left and left again'

It's on video.

That comment says it all, I bow to the superior knowledge of the armchair experts,

A bit of overkill the number of police versus protesters. Also the routing of protesters seems a bit strange. Doesn't crowd control recommend using the shortest routes to get people to/from a rally site ?

Anyway 'clearly these were thugs'. Probably correct. So now waiting for the 'but the majority of protesters was peaceful'

Peaceful protesters would not be a part of an agenda predicated upon violence and removing Yingluck no matter what the costs or once they heard the kill Yingluck stuff they would have split if they had any integrity.

Saying the number of police is overkill is just more playing victim card bs again. Given the threats against the PM, the valid concerns of violence and the request for a coup they needed to be out in full force. National security was at stake and better to have too many than not enough. If they lost control of that situation, they might not have been able to regain control until it was too late. Criticizing number of cops as being too many given what was at stake is truly beyond comprehension.

The government was asking for violence by a concerted strategy of alleged rumours. 'kidnap the PM, 'third hand', 'out to kill' and their intention of '50,000 police ready', '200,000 red-shirts on call', etc., etc. That's asking for violence, not preventing it. The Royal Plaza was surrounded by razorblade wire everywhere. Protesters funnelled through slowly. All measures to make even a peaceful minded person somewhat annoyed. Luckily this lot wasn't into grenade lobbing.

As it is obvious that Yingluck was not kidnapped I am still waiting for the statement of fact cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif from Super Sluth Chalerm on who was arrested and detained for this plot of subversion that was successfully foiled.

It's on video.

That comment says it all, I bow to the superior knowledge of the armchair experts,

Its been all over tv for 24 hours.

If the cops put up a roadblock, its ok to just break it down and pass thru coz you want to?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Nonsense.

Truly amazing, already rewriting the facts.

- the police (or maybe just Dept. PM Pol Captain Chalerm) expected a bit more than the few hundred they guestimated joined a few weeks before.

- Royal Plaza was surrounded by razorblade wire

- protesters were funnelled through streets bordered by razorblade wire and lots of police

- the first attack on the police seems to have been when protesters wanted to go straight to Royal Plaza, but were told 'go right, than left and left again'

Of course you have links For this?

There was enough police to deal with problems should they arrived, the problem arrived early and the police dealt with it. We have posters complaining that they did nothing last time and them complaining that the did something this time, amazing.

There was barbed wire blocking access to restricted areas, the protestors ignored orders that they could not enter those ares and attacked police, even driving a vehicle at them.

Is it ok when I am walking and I am advised to go in a certain direction by police is it ok for me to attack him?

• Like 2

Ok, so we have established you were not there yesterday, you only saw selective clips on TV and that's enough to make an informed statement, do you jump into telephone boxes and get changed into lycra suits when you are not posting on here?

Back to the original point of my first post, selective policing. Whether the point of gas being used was over the top or not, we will have to agree to disagree. My point is after sitting back in 2009 and 2010 and the police being mostly ineffective, do you think it not strange that in the first hour of the protest yesterday police deployed CS gas and arrested more people than in 6 weeks at Ratchaprasong? (excluding the final day) just a casual observation, people must be wondering who they are really working for?

(No intention to break rule 1 or 4, just playful banter :) )

Edited by sungod

Aah now we have strict law enforcement AND over the top police action. Over a hundred arrests within a few hours after the rally kicked of. If the rally would have prolonged for let's say 2 weeks, how many people would have been arrested 10,000? 20,000? All?

Nobody sees any double standards here?

There was over a hundred arrests in a few hours because over 100 people committed arrestable offences in a few hours. Simple

• Like 1

Ok, so we have established you were not there yesterday, you only saw selective clips on TV and that's enough to make an informed statement, do you jump into telephone boxes and get changed into lycra suits when you are not posting on here?

Back to the original point of my first post, selective policing. Whether the point of gas being used was over the top or not, we will have to agree to disagree. My point is after sitting back in 2009 and 2010 and the police being mostly ineffective, do you think it not strange that in the first hour of the protest yesterday police deployed CS gas and arrested more people than in 6 weeks at Ratchaprasong? (excluding the final day) just a casual observation, people must be wondering who they are really working for?

Not strange at all. I would presume they are pretty bored of being abused with impunity by protesters and appearing to be utterly useless. So maybe they have done a bit of tactical planning.

If you want someone to state the obvious that they are probably more loyal to ptp than the democrats, that's well known.

But that cuts for the army the other way.

if they had handled the pad this well the first time, thaksin would still be pm, so i dont think you should complain too much.

Aah now we have strict law enforcement AND over the top police action. Over a hundred arrests within a few hours after the rally kicked of. If the rally would have prolonged for let's say 2 weeks, how many people would have been arrested 10,000? 20,000? All?

Nobody sees any double standards here?

There was over a hundred arrests in a few hours because over 100 people committed arrestable offences in a few hours. Simple

Maybe one day Liverpool will be successful again and you can spend a bit more time looking at meaningful statistics.

Your misguided following of the other losers in red will also end in tears

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm actually going to agree with you there, I wish the police would have dealt with PAD more effectively, and the UDD equally. I wish the police and the courts would get on with their job and show no favoritism to anyone in particular, start locking people up for the crimes they commit.Then this country may not be in the sorry state it is now. There is no red or yellow, these people are just pawns in a high stakes game, the poor always lose. Its about 2 opposing sets of the elite who want to control the pot.

(No intention to break rule 1 or 4, just playful banter smile.png )

2009, 2010, 1912...what the...???

2012 a rally was announced!

Location: a highly sensitive area many sensitive buildings such as Government House and UN.

Organizers announced between 100.000 and 1 Million participants (!!!)

So: in any country I know, the following things happen:

organizer of rally announces number of participants, location of gathering and possible routes, possible marches might take.

Police and courts say "this way is okay, that way is okay...no, you can't go here!"

Roadblocks are set up, sensitive buildings are guarded by armed police, barbed wire and barricades.

Police estimates police-force according to numbers of protester- estimation.

They may even stop and search protesters for weapons.

Now: your rally- participants follow the marked routes. If they don't, police will take action!

If they try to get through to sensitive areas, police will take action.

This has happened many, many times before in places that are far more advanced in "democracy' than Thailand.

G8- summits? Rings a bell???

I have been in demonstrations myself.

There are hardcore idiots on both sides, but usually...if you just follow simple rules and orders, you are not gassed or beaten up or else...

(No intention to break rule 1 or 4, just playful banter smile.png )

2009, 2010, 1912...what the...???

2012 a rally was announced!

Location: a highly sensitive area many sensitive buildings such as Government House and UN.

Organizers announced between 100.000 and 1 Million participants (!!!)

So: in any country I know, the following things happen:

organizer of rally announces number of participants, location of gathering and possible routes, possible marches might take.

Police and courts say "this way is okay, that way is okay...no, you can't go here!"

Roadblocks are set up, sensitive buildings are guarded by armed police, barbed wire and barricades.

Police estimates police-force according to numbers of protester- estimation.

They may even stop and search protesters for weapons.

Now: your rally- participants follow the marked routes. If they don't, police will take action!

If they try to get through to sensitive areas, police will take action.

This has happened many, many times before in places that are far more advanced in "democracy' than Thailand.

G8- summits? Rings a bell???

I have been in demonstrations myself.

There are hardcore idiots on both sides, but usually...if you just follow simple rules and orders, you are not gassed or beaten up or else...

DocN you have a few valid points but you and I both know that in the previous red shirt burn Bangkok campaign as I call it the police were supportive of the reds even after the reds blocked the streets, set up the barricades, burned a bus, and whatever else they did that was obviously against the law. That is why they were called watermelon police, red on the inside.