Pledging Policy Sees U K Importers Shun Thai Rice

webfact

sent from-would like to know

As usual Thaksin and friend don't really care about Thailand and Thai people and their economy. All they care is to line up their packets from Thai treasury

I suppose though some could say that beats enriching yourself on the back of the labour of the poor.

It's better than working in a rice field.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't passing Economics 101 a prerequisite for public office at any level in any government in the world?

Dr. Gordon Brown has a phd. in economics and he managed to run up a 950 billion pound debt in the uk, proves there are educated idiots, would'nt trust him to buy a loaf of bread

Twice now you've said it, twice you've been wrong. His PHd is in history, so maybe he would be looking at buying a very old loaf.

Remind me not to read your posts again

How can he remind you if you're not going to....oh never mind.

Maybe they want to reduce Thai exports, thereby decreasing the demand for Thai currency. And in the process, also allow the economy to do badly

Which in turn, could bring the price of the THB down.

If the price of the THB comes down, and they have large stockpiles of rice available (At now competitive prices due to the lower THB), they might be able to not only sell their large stockpiles of rice, but also provide large boosts to tourism revenue etc. Perhaps these positives for the Thai economy would start coming to fruition just prior to the next election.

There might be large holes in the plan above, but what I mean is, there must be some kind of method to the madness. Taksin understands the economy better than most of us, Yingluck should have a pretty comprehensive understanding of it too, and I'm sure that he/they would have realised the implications of their economic policies.

Sure Taksin wants to return to Thailand, so might take a few risks with the country to gain his power + frozen assets back, but I don't think he'd risk this much without a plan to bring the economy back up again, at least in time for the next election anyway.

Maybe they want to reduce Thai exports, thereby decreasing the demand for Thai currency. And in the process, also allow the economy to do badly

If the price of the THB comes down, and they have large stockpiles of rice available (At now competitive prices due to the lower THB), they might be able to not only sell their large stockpiles of rice, but also provide large boosts to tourism revenue etc. Perhaps these positives for the Thai economy would start coming to fruition just prior to the next election.

There might be large holes in the plan above, but what I mean is, there must be some kind of method to the madness. Taksin understands the economy better than most of us, Yingluck should have a pretty comprehensive understanding of it too, and I'm sure that he/they would have realised the implications of their economic policies.

Sure Taksin wants to return to Thailand, so might take a few risks with the country to gain his power + frozen assets back, but I don't think he'd risk this much without a plan to bring the economy back up again, at least in time for the next election anyway.

Or he could just be trying to bankrupt the old money rice companies as political payback?

Rice is a good business for the exporter, but it doesn't really move the baht that significantly.

Hey...It's the west. Most of the consumers don't know the difference between "superior" rice and "average" rice. What they do know is the price of rice. So, they will buy what is the most affordable, no matter how much Thailand tries to promote their overpriced product.

Rice in the UK for a lot of consumers is branded products at massive mark up prices like "Uncle Bens" a small box of boil in a bag will cost over a quid, only the comercial market knows how to buy rice - by the large bag load

Obviously you haven#'t been shopping in a supermarket. There are a wide range of rice products to choose from and most people buy large bags of rice 2 or 3 kg or bigger and certainly not little boxes of Uncle Ben's.

Why isn't passing Economics 101 a prerequisite for public office at any level in any government in the world?

Because it is easier to buy votes than to be fiscally responsible.

Why would a government buy rice at a higher price, then try to get back the money selling it at an uncompetitive price? The government becomes a hugely inefficient middle man and has now more rice on it's hands. As the rice starts to go bad, maybe they can grind it up into fish food.

Government subsidies never work, let the market do it's job.

Train the farmers into growing more lucrative crops than just rice.

To all Politicians in Thailand

Stop sending people overseas on these stupid "missions" to promote Thai products (i.e. have a holiday at taxpayers expense) . . . open your eyes, listen to what others are telling you and use some common sense for once. It's not rocket science.

It is in LoS.

• Like 1

And the market, built up over centuries, withers due to the lunacy of an unelected fugitive

And the trade delegation - did they get to do fun fairs, shopping, take 40 of them, stay at five star hotels, take their daughters? And as per the other posts, all this because an unelected conman and convicted criminal is pulling Thailand's purse strings and scamming as much as he can, and being allowed to do it.

In the words of the Bishop of Canterbury in 1162 regarding Thomas Becket... "Will no one rid me of this man..." Take Thaksin out (of the equation) and Thailand may just get back to normal.

It was actually 'will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest' and spoken by Henry II.

I was referring to the film not the historical record, which as you state, is correct. As with all films, let not the truth stand in the way of a story.

Surely the UK Rice trader was mis-quoted, implying that UK will find it hard to return to Thai rice if they are deprived it for some time. Rice is a commodity, Traders make money buying and selling.

There is little sentiment.

Whenever the price is right, Thai rice will enter the international market.

The average British supermarket shopper, seldom reads the small print.

Country of origin doesn't feature highly when making a purchasing decision.

This rice pledging thing is only useful for the Shinawatra henchmen. It has been pointed out, that most farmers don't get to see any money of this scheme, but the middlemen and millers are making a fortune out of it. These are the people the Shinawatras want, to support their stay in power.

The Shinawatra gambit is to take tax-payers money and spend it as if it were from the Shinawatra's own pocket.

This will only end, when Thailand finally (in the not too far future) reaches a situation like the one Greece is in since the last couple of years. Let the country be indebted like Greece, nevermind, as long as the billions are on Shinawatras (and his fellow thieves) accounts abroad.

Sam M.

This rice pledging thing is only useful for the Shinawatra henchmen. It has been pointed out, that most farmers don't get to see any money of this scheme, but the middlemen and millers are making a fortune out of it. These are the people the Shinawatras want, to support their stay in power.

The Shinawatra gambit is to take tax-payers money and spend it as if it were from the Shinawatra's own pocket.

This will only end, when Thailand finally (in the not too far future) reaches a situation like the one Greece is in since the last couple of years. Let the country be indebted like Greece, nevermind, as long as the billions are on Shinawatras (and his fellow thieves) accounts abroad.

"Shinawatra henchmen"

Interesting development to see Red Shirt Leader Arisaman connected to the rice pledging scheme that is fraught with problems.

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry5881478

Edited by Buchholz

Surely the UK Rice trader was mis-quoted, implying that UK will find it hard to return to Thai rice if they are deprived it for some time. Rice is a commodity, Traders make money buying and selling.

Bumpkin, I hope you've spent some time in the countryside.

When you buy potatoes you get the variety you want - for boiling, roasting, baking, mashing etc.

Rice is the same. Thai jasmine rice and Basmati are quite different and will be labelled as such. Sticky rice, Arborio rice, wild rice, brown rice etc. Increase the options.

Maybe years ago you could buy a pack of ubiquitous "rice" but no longer. Jamie Oliver and Keith Floyd etc. Have seen to that.

That said, after several beers on a Friday night, I couldn't give a silo rat's anus what rice I put my vindaloo on!

Well they buy Thai rice in Thai restaurants and packages of Thai rice in supermarkets.

It has always sold at quite a premium in British supermarkets, so with the prices as they are now, and the economy in the poop, Thai restaurants aren't doing so well probably, and home consumers probably reduce or switch.

Believe it or not, Thai food isn't part of the staple diet in the uk.. Lol

I propose another IQ test. All TV posters should be tested and those falling under the average (85) should be banned from posting.

I think you are being overly generous with that average rating . . . cheesy.gif

I think he's getting confused - he meant to say average age

• Like 1

what some have of you have hinted at but didn't come right out and say it is, the British love Indian food and the rice that most suits curry is Indian basmati rice. when I lived in India you would see it drying in the road, they would close off one lane of a single carriageway. basmati used to be very expensive but now it is a reasonable price if you buy it in bulk and even though I live in Thailand I prefer it to Thai rice but it's a very close call. I normally only eat boiled rice so this is what tips the balance, if you made pilau or fried rice using Thai I don't think I would be able to tell the difference.

I won't argue the economics, some of you have made great posts and I applaud your expertise.

If Thailand can just find another corrupt country, pay the bribes needed, they can sell all rice they have. Let's see, who is as corrupt as Thailand? Hmmmm

Second thought. Does rice burn, like in an accidental warehouse fire, where the insurance company could pay for Thailands loss, at Thailands prices?

Sorry, runnung out of ideas. They may just lose some money on this scheme...

If Thailand can just find another corrupt country, pay the bribes needed, they can sell all rice they have. Let's see, who is as corrupt as Thailand? Hmmmm

Second thought. Does rice burn, like in an accidental warehouse fire, where the insurance company could pay for Thailands loss, at Thailands prices?

Sorry, runnung out of ideas. They may just lose some money on this scheme...

lol, of course rice burns - haven't you ever started cooking it then fallen asleep drunk?.

Well they buy Thai rice in Thai restaurants and packages of Thai rice in supermarkets.

It has always sold at quite a premium in British supermarkets, so with the prices as they are now, and the economy in the poop, Thai restaurants aren't doing so well probably, and home consumers probably reduce or switch.

Believe it or not, Thai food isn't part of the staple diet in the uk.. Lol

A bright idea to be forwarded to the TAT, 'ChickenTikka Masala' is actually a unique Thai dish (with some vague Indian roots) thumbsup.gif

maybe yingluk can call her friend David cheesy.gif

all jokes asside. Isn't it common in thailand as customers fade to put prices up - that's what they do in pattaya and not long after the said business is shutters down for good

I honestly believe Thaksin is trying to ruin this country, he may also have found a way to use the rice scheme to siphon money into his own pocket through bogus accounts, if so he will continue to get away with it until there is a full scale fiscal review which this government refuses to do whistling.gif

What has transpired is not part of some dastardly scheme. First was the decision and then followed the poorly thought-out consequences.

Well this is no real surprise, the Thai government is very effectively pricing Thailand out of the global rice market, this country will end up with huge stockpiles of rotten rice that will only be fit for consumption by rats.

its pretty much rotten already. did you see the comment from the Nigerian govt. which imported thai rice, he said the rice was at least

15 years old and yellow. its real bad news, the old crap rice is also retailed all over locally.

If that is the case then rice other than from current crops is being siphoned into the scheme and the government stockpile is becoming tainted at point of purchase prior to the normal degradation of storage. If reputation of quality also is being shot together with price, then will get even uglier.

Thaksin apologists (and some opponents) never fail to overestimate his ability. He is not that smart. He and his friends might think of himself as King Taksin who has been dead for some years now, but to mystically assume that Thaksin knew what he was doing re the rice scheme is a nonsense. The rice scheme was a decision made for political reasons (in the interests of Thaksin) and the consequences not worked out at all because they were completely subordinate to the political imperative. Thaksin just assumed he could sort it out and now we are reduced to dodgy cheques and invoices popping up in strange places. We are talking here about a man who laundered money through his family while prime minister. Thought he was being clever. He wasn't then and he isn't now.

My wife is a rice farmer's daughter and never heard the gov is buying her family's rice at 15000 metric tonne, and we do live 1km from her parents.

The rice the family grows is for own consumption (sticky rice), surplus is sold to a nearby rice mill, if any left.