Which Are The Best Italian Food Restaurants In Chiang Mai?

rene123

Ragu at Promenada. Nothing in town comes close.

i have to agree. after Ragu opened, every other Italian restaurant in town was left in the dust... Ragu. it is arguably the best Italian restaurant in town. quality, fresh ingredients, flavor, presentation, authenticity, serving size... fantastic restaurant. warning: you could get fat eating there often! i've never tried the dessert...too full after a meal! but it looks good.

It is just as good as the other fine food served there. Much to my sorrow as I really should not partake of those kind's of food. No good for my waste line and leave me wanting more so I find it best not to eat them. My loss.

My wife will not eat Italian food but she does enjoy the Garlic bread as do the rest of the family who although Thai love the food.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to agree. after Ragu opened, every other Italian restaurant in town was left in the dust... Ragu. it is arguably the best Italian restaurant in town. quality, fresh ingredients, flavor, presentation, authenticity, serving size... fantastic restaurant. warning: you could get fat eating there often! i've never tried the dessert...too full after a meal! but it looks good.

It is just as good as the other fine food served there. Much to my sorrow as I really should not partake of those kind's of food. No good for my waste line and leave me wanting more so I find it best not to eat them. My loss.

My wife will not eat Italian food but she does enjoy the Garlic bread as do the rest of the family who although Thai love the food.

Food of the Gods. Happy food.

Eat then go for a walk. Enjoy good food, live life.

Not cheap but absolutely the best Italian restaurant is Casa Antonio.

Where is Casa Antonio?

My spaghetti was served in a clay pot! It was baked, and spaghetti was overcooked (mushy). Sauce and pasta mixed together. Worst spaqghetti I have ever had! Perhaps other dishes were more appetizing(?)

Has the menu at Ragu changed since it opened?

My favourite Italian dishes are thinks like Scalloppa Milanese, Scaloppina a Limone, Gambretti avocado, penne arrabiatta etc.

When we visited Ragu it was more a choice of flat bread pizzas and some sandwiches or pastas. We would call this more of a deli than a restaurant in Italy.

Edited by iainiain101

Not cheap but absolutely the best Italian restaurant is Casa Antonio.

Where is Casa Antonio?

My spaghetti was served in a clay pot! It was baked, and spaghetti was overcooked (mushy). Sauce and pasta mixed together. Worst spaqghetti I have ever had! Perhaps other dishes were more appetizing(?)

Are you sure that was at Casa Antonio? I have eaten many pastas there and never had one baked in a clay pot, nor have I had a bad one.

Edited by Bill97

Bring back the "Why Not" buffet at 189bht.....shame it did not get enough support to keep it going. That was a bargain!

That buffet was some of the worst food I have ever had, anywhere. I am not surprised that it is not still going, but would be surprised if the place is still open. Just terrible.....

I don't expect buffets to be top quality food as it has been pre-cooked and sitting out for a little while. However, "Why Not" was really good for the price.

When we visited Ragu it was more a choice of flat bread pizzas and some sandwiches or pastas. We would call this more of a deli than a restaurant in Italy.

I'm a big Duke's fan, but - other than the pizza - I've never been crazy about the Italian dishes there. I'm a lot more interested in the sandwiches and deserts at Ragu than the other stuff, but one thing about David is he never rests on his laurels. He keeps on improving his food. I'm going to have to try the other dishes before I make up my mind.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have some exploring to do. But, I'll have to go slowly. 10 years ago I could eat anything and everything I wanted, but now I'm rapidly approaching 38 I've noticed a few extra pounds that I don't need.

Simple solution: Do your exploring on foot.

thumbsup.gif

Based on a minimum of 5 visits (and in most cases more) to all of the following restaurants,

I would rate the Italian-owned restaurants I've visited in Chiang Mai as follows:

1. Casa Antonio and Georgio's (same Italian owner/operator, different atmospheres)

2. da Stefanos and Girasole (same Italian owner/operator, different atmospheres)

2. (a tie) Boutique della Pasta (Italian owner/chef)--some good Italian friends of mine spend a couple of months a year hear in Chiang Mai, and every time they eat Italian they eat here--they love the Italian style pizzas, I love the pastas. Probably better food than Stefanos and Girasole but better atmosphere there.

3. Why Not (Italian owner/operator)--maybe the best atmosphere and the food is normally good but can be hit or miss, and not as good as the others listed above in my opinion.
4. Arcobolena--Since the original owner (now passed away) was Italian, I still consider this Italian-owned I haven't been there for a long time, as opposed to all the others which I've visited recently, so can't really vouch for it currently.

I've heard very good things about Francesca's out Canal Road from several people. I've been three times to the Italian in Doi Saket and it is very good as well (can't remember the name).

Regarding non-Italian-owned Italian restaurants, I rate Lapin and Prego highly also--you can get very good Italian at both. Lapin the best of the two; both I think better than Why Not for food but not atmosphere.

The one I don't rate highly is Billy's--I was there recently after reading so many positive posts, and in my opinion it is nowhere near as good (I had pizza and a pasta) as the others I've listed (and it's moved to a new location on a small soi behind the old).

Now let's talk about Dukes and Ragu ... I love them both as well, but comparing David's Italian food to the other Italian restaurants I've listed is like comparing Tex Mex to real Mexican food---they're both great but not the same. No matter what the menu item at any of his restaurants, David makes and serves great American-style comfort food. I come from the same area of the U.S.A. as he does, and we both grew up eating and loving Chicago-home-style Italian food just like he offers (with some more fusion twists like the flat breads and ragus). His lasagna is just like my mother made...his smoked-chicken and pesto is just like my ex-wife made...his cannelloni with Italian sausage and riccota is just like that of my favorite home-style Italian on Ashland Avenue. Great food if you like that style as I do--and I recommend Ragu as well (other than the shopping mall atmosphere, which I hate)--but you can't make an apples to apples comparison of Ragu and the Italian-owned joints.

So the bottom line is there are many very good Italian options in Chiang Mai ... probably as many in a small radius as most any places you will find anywhere.

Forgot to mention ... My friends and I had a private meal prepared by the owner of La Tavernetta and I have been to the restaurant. He'a a top-quality chef serving gourmet Italian with great ingredients, who unfortunately knows not much about running a business and whose prices are very high relative to Chiang Mai. If it's even still open, it would be an excellent food experience in a so-so atmosphere with a highly knowledgeable and approachable chef--but you need to have some serious disposable income and I'm not sure it's worth the price (hence I don't know if he's even still in business).

Oh Please. Not again. Does David pay you guys to praise his every venture to the heavens, or are you all on a free food stipend. To suggest that Ragu now outshines every other Italian in Town is just bullshit.

All this idolatory for the one true god David of Dukes is both vomit inducing and false all at the same time. Do you people never eat at any other place if it isnt owned by David?

Imbecile alert.

Ragu, full every day and night with very happy customers.

Read em and weep...

Oh Please. Not again. Does David pay you guys to praise his every venture to the heavens, or are you all on a free food stipend. To suggest that Ragu now outshines every other Italian in Town is just bullshit.

All this idolatory for the one true god David of Dukes is both vomit inducing and false all at the same time. Do you people never eat at any other place if it isnt owned by David?

Imbecile alert.

Read em and weep...

The food makes no difference to him. He has a hate on for Dave and has bashed both the river market and Dukes. Not liking some of the items is one thing but dishing every one even the ones you haven't tried is a pretty dead give away as to the intention of the poster.

I think highly of all of Dave's locations but there are some items that I will not eat. That just means I don't like it for all I would know it could be the best one in the world I just don't like it and that is what I would say when asked. I would not put every business the man owns down.

disclaimer

I am in no way involved in any of Dave's enterprises other than being a satisfied customer.smile.png

I don't question that Billy's is good or good value, but it is certainly not the best Italian food in CM. If you really mean the best Italian food in CM (not the best value or the most food for your money) then I would nominate two restaurants which don't even seem to be mentioned above. Neither is cheap, but quality and authenticity cost. One has been going for a while now, Favola in the Le Meriden hotel with an excellent Italian chef. The other is quite new. It is La Tavernetta on the top floor of the complex next to Kantary Hills on Nimmanhaemin Soi 12. The chef/owner is Italian and a real enthusiast for the tradition of Italian cuisine---I spent some time talking with him and his enthusiasm came over loud and clear. Most of the ingredients he uses are imported, particularly from Italy. He makes pasta fresh each day by hand, and you can taste this. Set menus are 1800B and 2000B and a la carte prices are generally comparable, but if you want to try really authentic Italain food, give it a try.

I occasionally drop in to the Le Meriden hotel for a meal. Not very regular but it seems to me they are always changing things in there. The food is OK but it seems to me that their is no guarantee of what I will get when I go in there.

Is Favola in a separate part of the hotel than the restaurant on the main floor just off the Lobby?

Imbecile alert.

Read em and weep...

The food makes no difference to him. He has a hate on for Dave and has bashed both the river market and Dukes. Not liking some of the items is one thing but dishing every one even the ones you haven't tried is a pretty dead give away as to the intention of the poster.

I think highly of all of Dave's locations but there are some items that I will not eat. That just means I don't like it for all I would know it could be the best one in the world I just don't like it and that is what I would say when asked. I would not put every business the man owns down.

disclaimer

I am in no way involved in any of Dave's enterprises other than being a satisfied customer.smile.png

Same here. Though sometimes i wish i was an investor.

Yes, the poster mentioned certainly shows himself clearly. Definitely a failed business owner here, or just a knocker in general who's never had the guts to take the risks Dave is / has taken....

Rant over...

Edited by DaamNaam

Bring back the "Why Not" buffet at 189bht.....shame it did not get enough support to keep it going. That was a bargain!

That buffet was some of the worst food I have ever had, anywhere. I am not surprised that it is not still going, but would be surprised if the place is still open. Just terrible.....

Sone of the worst food? Think you must have been to a different place or maybe your palette is far superior to mine. For 189bht buffet nothing could touch it!

Imbecile alert.

Read em and weep...

Many McDonald's are often full of seemingly happy customers. Pizza specific franchise establishments are often full of seemingly happy customers.

Imbecile alert.

Read em and weep...

disclaimer

Just to clarify. No "hate" for "Dave" I dont even know him. Just find the food in all his places to be over priced, of no better than average quality, very large portions, but for me its about quality not size of portion. I am not allowed to but would recommend half a dozen restaurants with better food than Dukes.

By the way, I m not alone in my thoughts judging from quite a few "likes" of my posts!

83 posts and you got three likes. Pretty poor showing if it is as bad as you make it out to be in all your posts about Dave's establishments. Have you even been to Ragu?

So all 83 posts are about Ragu? No theyre not. Stop proving my point. Grow up and behave like a mature adult if thats at all possible. As I ve already said, I find all Dukes establishments to be expensive (plus taxes!) and nowhere near the value I can get in many other better restaurants around town (and I like nice places by the way).

Impossible. What venues? What dishes? Absolute garbage.

I can bet you haven't even been to Ragu either.

You're about the only sentinent being (i would love to say human but thats debatable) thats not been satisfied with any of "The Dukes" establishments and food.

It's not difficult. Someone asks what our favourite Italian restaurant is, and we all say which ones we like and why we like them.There is no need to get your knickers in a twist just because some people like a place that you don't. If you'd have stuck to making your recommendation, with a word or two about why you like it, you wouldn't have got any hassle. You took it as an opportunity to slate other peoples' preferences and so you brought it upon yourself. We all have different preferences, and no one is right or wrong, just that..... Different.

Yawn...

Ragu is full day and night and has many happy customers. Losing you as one of them must surely be hurting them, i hope you reconsider and give them another go.rolleyes.gif

Yawn as well. Ragu is a shopping mall restaurant, quite different from all the others. Hardly comparable to a restaurant like the ones I favour where guess what, you dont get thrown out when the mall closes. Shopping mall joint or proper restaurant? I ll take a proper restaurant every time thanks!

Anything else?

Yeah, we heard you the first six times you posted - you don't like Ragu, you don't like "shopping mall restaurants" because you are still eating dinner at 10:00 p.m. when the mall closes (what....really?), and the mention of the name "Duke" drives you into a barely controllable, spittle inducing rage. We get it, already.

So all 83 posts are about Ragu? No theyre not. Stop proving my point. Grow up and behave like a mature adult if thats at all possible. As I ve already said, I find all Dukes establishments to be expensive (plus taxes!) and nowhere near the value I can get in many other better restaurants around town (and I like nice places by the way).

Impossible. What venues? What dishes? Absolute garbage.

I can bet you haven't even been to Ragu either.

You're about the only sentinent being (i would love to say human but thats debatable) thats not been satisfied with any of "The Dukes" establishments and food.

There are people not as impressed as you and the others that are always posting praise for Dave's establishments.

Many people that are not impressed with his establishments just don't post their sentiments. I don't understand why the same people always posting cannot understand that not everyone is the same.

Yawn...

Ragu is full day and night and has many happy customers. Losing you as one of them must surely be hurting them, i hope you reconsider and give them another go.rolleyes.gif

Yawn as well. Ragu is a shopping mall restaurant, quite different from all the others. Hardly comparable to a restaurant like the ones I favour where guess what, you dont get thrown out when the mall closes. Shopping mall joint or proper restaurant? I ll take a proper restaurant every time thanks!

Anything else?

Yeah, we heard you the first six times you posted - you don't like Ragu, you don't like "shopping mall restaurants" because you are still eating dinner at 10:00 p.m. when the mall closes (what....really?), and the mention of the name "Duke" drives you into a barely controllable, spittle inducing rage. We get it, already.

You apparently don't like someone posting their opinion "six times", yet you and a relatively few others post incessantly post your praises. Why don't you post your postives ONCE and let it go?

Edited by hml367

And since you ask, although this information given in an earlier post. Better Italian than Ragu ? Giorgios, Casa Antonio, Sala Italia, Yummy Pizza......and you know what, you dont get thrown out when the mall closes !!

Not fair. You can not mention restaurants they do not know, probably can not find and do not serve American comfort food.

Not wishing to take sides in an slag fest I'm guiltily enjoying however I do find these 2 posts extremely biased.

I can't believe there is no longer any need to visit any another Italian restaurants in Chiangmai now that Ragu has opened.

Not wishing to take sides in an slag fest I'm guiltily enjoying however I do find these 2 posts extremely biased.

I can't believe there is no longer any need to visit any another Italian restaurants in Chiangmai now that Ragu has opened.

Because compared to the others this one is far better. It's not rocket science.

Others are entitled to their opinions indeed.

I've tried the others IMO they are crap, being a boy from Lygon St in Melbourne one starts to learn very early whats good and whats crap.

Heheh tongue.png

You kids keep this up & I will turn this car right around & none of you

will have any Italian grub period ! sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

It always goes this way

Folks cannot believe that some have different tastes & that is what is nice about

having choices in Chiang Mai

The title of the thread is after all

Which Are The Best Italian Food Restaurants In Chiang Mai?