Arriving In Bkk

pepsi666

I will be arriving in Bangkok on 4th March and I need to get to Pattaya in reasonble safety, anyone got any recomendations ? I dont really want to rent a car either

(I have a bit of leave owing me, )

I have read some real horror stories about buses and mini buses (drivers falling asleep and such)

Its normally all handled by the agents, but this time I'm going it alone

Edited by pepsi666

I will be arriving in Bangkok on 4th March and I need to get to Pattaya in reasonble safety, anyone got any recomendations ? I dont really want to rent a car either

I have read some real horror stories about buses and mini buses (drivers falling asleep and such)

Well, once you get at the airport - there is a Taxi stand and a Limo stand before you exit the airport (next to the currency exchange store). You can probably get something there - I think BKK to Pattaya is around 800 baht for a cab?!?

A limo will cost you about 2000-3000 baht I think. You could try to google something like "limo service bangkok" to find yourself a ride to Pattaya.

Edited by kudroz

There are a couple of private taxi services that will take you to Pattaya for around 2,000 baht (the price has gone up along with the price of fuel).

When you come out of customs, turn left and head for the exit. You'll be approached by a couple of people offering their services. Make sure they include the highway tolls in the total price. You will usually end up in a private car (as opposed to a "taxi").

I use this service every time, and have never had a problem.

Your other options are to ask a metered-taxi (one that has just dropped off passengers usually), but from what I've heard, they are cheaper and far riskier (drivers that have been working 20+ hours at a time while trying to stay awake with uppers, people getting driven to remote areas and robbed, ect.)

Or you could take a taxi to the bus station and bus it to Pattaya (cheapest route, but takes much longer).

There are buses that go directly from the airport to Pattaya, but my understanding is that there are only 3 departures per day.

For your return trip, most hotels can arrange to take you back to the airport for around 800 baht. Every time I've done this, it ends up being the same kind of private car taxi-service. The drivers are usually people who've brought someone to Pattaya and then wait around for a paying fare back to Bangkok.

If you want a safer alternative, my landlady's brother-in-law uses his car for this kind of service. For example, he is taking a buddy of mine to the embassy in Bangkok today (and bringing him back) for 1,800 baht + highway tolls. Not as cheap as the bus, but cheaper than taking one taxi there and another one back.

If you want to save some money and get to Pattaya with safety here is what you can do. (One stipulation - your arrival must be before midnight and after 0600.)

First when you change your money over for Thai baht don't forget to get some small bills for paying for stuff. Small shops or vendors may not be able to cash 500 or 1000 baht notes.

Next, ignore all of the touts selling rides and hotels, etc. Go out the door (arrivals hall) to the street level, this is where the taxi kiosk is at. You don't need that. On the same level as the taxi kiosk is the AIRPORT BUS KIOSK. The price for the AIRPORT BUS to take you into town is 100 baht. This is cheaper than a taxi, and safer too! You will be on the bus with other passengers from the airport.

The AIRPORT BUS ladies will take your money and put you on the right bus. You will need the Sukhumvit route. This Sukhumvit route will take you to the EKAMAI bus station (on Sukhumvit.)

The Morchit bus station is closer to the airport but you would have to take a taxi to get to it. The Ekamai bus station is much easier and simpler to get to. The ladies working at the AIRPORT BUS kiosk will tell the driver what stop you need. The bus driver is used to tourists asking about their stops, you won't have any problem getting to the bus station.

At the EKAMAI bus station you will need the VIP bus to Pattaya. The price goes up and down a few baht depending on the price of fuel, 3 weeks ago it was 110 baht, last week I paid 106 baht to go from Pattaya to Bangkok. Figure on the 110 baht price. So far 210 baht to get to Pattaya from the airport! (The ticket window you need at Ekamai is the VIP window, on the right side of the building, as you look at it, the window will be marked PATTAYA.) Make sure it is the AirCon bus with the toilet on board. About 2 or 3 hours to get to Pattaya.)

Never had a problem with the Airport Bus or the Pattaya VIP bus, ever, in many, many years of use! Like all busses and planes, keep your valuables with you on the INSIDE of the bus, not in your checked in bag. Bus to Pattaya runs about every 20 to 30 minutes. Choose an aisle seat if you have long legs. The number on your bus ticket should match the number on the BACK of the seat - your seat is the one with the number on it.

Okey Dokey.

If you want to save some money and get to Pattaya with safety here is what you can do......Okey Dokey.....

I am fascinated by the shear brilliance of these directions - unbleiveable - well done - and totally endorsed. :o:D

Thanks for the advice everyone, very much appreciated, bit spoilt for choice now :D

I like the idea of the Limo, but the bus sounds okay and a lot cheaper, and I get to see some of the country (assuming I dont fall a kip) not sure about the taxi's though, I have been on a 'mystery' tour before :o

I was told to keep an eye out for a couple of old Dakota's on the left on the way down there, any idea if they are still usable and flying or just derelics now, and what they were used for ?

Thanks for the advice everyone, very much appreciated, bit spoilt for choice now :D

I like the idea of the Limo, but the bus sounds okay and a lot cheaper, and I get to see some of the country (assuming I dont fall a kip) not sure about the taxi's though, I have been on a 'mystery' tour before :D

I was told to keep an eye out for a couple of old Dakota's on the left on the way down there, any idea if they are still usable and flying or just derelics now, and what they were used for ?

Another option is prebooking. I have to leave Thailand a couple of times a month for bussiness and always prebook Limo to meet me at the Airport, excellent service - but more expensive - to me it's worth it.

Old Dakotas appeared about five years ago, there in a scrap yard.

"What were they used for" Flying I would imagine :o Definatley not useable :D

Cheers :D

There are a couple of private taxi services that will take you to Pattaya for around 2,000 baht (the price has gone up along with the price of fuel).

When you come out of customs, turn left and head for the exit. You'll be approached by a couple of people offering their services. Make sure they include the highway tolls in the total price. You will usually end up in a private car (as opposed to a "taxi").

I use this service every time, and have never had a problem.

Your other options are to ask a metered-taxi (one that has just dropped off passengers usually), but from what I've heard, they are cheaper and far riskier (drivers that have been working 20+ hours at a time while trying to stay awake with uppers, people getting driven to remote areas and robbed, ect.)

Or you could take a taxi to the bus station and bus it to Pattaya (cheapest route, but takes much longer).

There are buses that go directly from the airport to Pattaya, but my understanding is that there are only 3 departures per day.

For your return trip, most hotels can arrange to take you back to the airport for around 800 baht. Every time I've done this, it ends up being the same kind of private car taxi-service. The drivers are usually people who've brought someone to Pattaya and then wait around for a paying fare back to Bangkok.

If you want a safer alternative, my landlady's brother-in-law uses his car for this kind of service. For example, he is taking a buddy of mine to the embassy in Bangkok today (and bringing him back) for 1,800 baht + highway tolls. Not as cheap as the bus, but cheaper than taking one taxi there and another one back.

As Kerryd mentioned in the first part of his post, turn left as you come out from customs.Look for agents with "Prabhirarb Transport" on their papers.

This is actually the same company which was called Thai limousine before Thai Airways took over their own transport. They still hand out buisness cards with the Thai Airways logo on :o

They can also be prebooked at 038423140 24hrs.(Sorry, don`t have their Bkk #).

Very reliable,safe driving, and the drivers does max twelve hours shifts on turn. Use them every month going/coming from work in europe.

Downside, it`s 1900Baht(ish).....

Have a safe trip Pepsi!

Jalla

If you want to save some money and get to Pattaya with safety here is what you can do. (One stipulation - your arrival must be before midnight and after 0600.)

First when you change your money over for Thai baht don't forget to get some small bills for paying for stuff. Small shops or vendors may not be able to cash 500 or 1000 baht notes.

Next, ignore all of the touts selling rides and hotels, etc. Go out the door (arrivals hall) to the street level, this is where the taxi kiosk is at. You don't need that. On the same level as the taxi kiosk is the AIRPORT BUS KIOSK. The price for the AIRPORT BUS to take you into town is 100 baht. This is cheaper than a taxi, and safer too! You will be on the bus with other passengers from the airport.

The AIRPORT BUS ladies will take your money and put you on the right bus. You will need the Sukhumvit route. This Sukhumvit route will take you to the EKAMAI bus station (on Sukhumvit.)

The Morchit bus station is closer to the airport but you would have to take a taxi to get to it. The Ekamai bus station is much easier and simpler to get to. The ladies working at the AIRPORT BUS kiosk will tell the driver what stop you need. The bus driver is used to tourists asking about their stops, you won't have any problem getting to the bus station.

At the EKAMAI bus station you will need the VIP bus to Pattaya. The price goes up and down a few baht depending on the price of fuel, 3 weeks ago it was 110 baht, last week I paid 106 baht to go from Pattaya to Bangkok. Figure on the 110 baht price. So far 210 baht to get to Pattaya from the airport! (The ticket window you need at Ekamai is the VIP window, on the right side of the building, as you look at it, the window will be marked PATTAYA.) Make sure it is the AirCon bus with the toilet on board. About 2 or 3 hours to get to Pattaya.)

Never had a problem with the Airport Bus or the Pattaya VIP bus, ever, in many, many years of use! Like all busses and planes, keep your valuables with you on the INSIDE of the bus, not in your checked in bag. Bus to Pattaya runs about every 20 to 30 minutes. Choose an aisle seat if you have long legs. The number on your bus ticket should match the number on the BACK of the seat - your seat is the one with the number on it.

Okey Dokey.

Perfect. Its really easy, nothing to worry about just do as it says here.

You won't save much time by taxi (1200 baht these days) or limo. Highway is highway, no special lanes for taxis! Not to mention there is more potential to be scammed.

Its only 30 mins to Ekkamai and 2-2.5 hours to Pattaya so you can be there with your hormones within 4 hours of landing.

When you arrive at Pattaya get off the bus and walk 20 metres to your left where you see guys pointing at baht buses (pickup trucks with an awning over the bed). 20 baht to centre of town, shared with other people. If you want a central stopping point tell the guy "Beach Road Royal Garden". After that, up to you.

I like the idea of the Limo, but the bus sounds okay and a lot cheaper, and I get to see some of the country (assuming I dont fall a kip) not sure about the taxi's though, I have been on a 'mystery' tour before :D

Old Dakotas appeared about five years ago, there in a scrap yard.

"What were they used for" Flying I would imagine :o Definatley not useable :D

Cheers :D

I assumed they would be used for flying, but WHAT?

Virgin used to have a couple of old Daks doing the Miami-Florida keys run, and they were also used in a film 'A Bridge Too Far', just thought someone over there were using them for tourist flights or even the Thai army, mind you I havent seen e

Still a tossup between the bus and a limo :D and pre booking is a good idea, at least I know roughly what time I'd get there :D

Book a car service- trust me after a long arse flight - last thing you want to do is fiddling around with transport. (just me - its worth twenty quid just to have someone waiting.)

Exactly. By the time I get to Bkk, the last thing I want to do is start fiddling around with more transport arrangements.

I hire a private taxi, give him my destination and then snooze the trip away in the back seat. If you want to pull into a rest-stop/service station for a whiz and some refeshments, no problem.

Considering the cost of your plane ticket to Thailand, and the distance from Don Muang to Pattaya, a $45-50 (US) taxi ride is peanuts.

when i fly into thailand from uk i have a limo already waiting for me

http://www.imagelimo.com/

can't fault them bit more expensive but you have already paid and its waiting for you with ice cold water and little iced towels and magazines, papers and little sweeties (i am easily pleased ) they make sure the trek down to pattaya is more than comfortable and you are not worried about the safety side of it. i pre-book the return journey and they are very punctual to go back into bkk.

i think there are more companies in pattaya that have this service and they maybe cheaper but i think i will stick with this one as the service is first class and maybe worth that bit extra dosh

• 2 weeks later...

I tried both Ekamai and Morchit bus stations to get to Pattaya and I find Morchit to be quicker by an hour. Prices are about the same.

I took a taxi at departure ramp and get to Morchit for about 100B and 113B bus to Pattaya. And 20B at N.Pattaya Rd to my hotel by a bhat bus at the station.

The main difference is saving time by 1 hour. Taxi ride to Morchit is much quicker and you also bypass all that traffic. I highly recommend Morchit route.

Edited by Gary74

Thanks for all your advise and tips, got a PM from visa runner and we (I and him) are going to sort something out.

Thanks to EVERYONE, see you in Pattaya sometime during March :o

Seems it's all pretty much covered...the prices seem a bit high though..I have friends who regularly come to Pattaya, and they are met by a Pattaya taxi at the airport (or me!). If you have friends here they could arrange that. The fare should be less than 1500.

If you decide to take a car (taxi or Limo) get it outside in front of the airport and make sure that the vehicle you go in is the one you are shown...if it looks old, turn it down. You shouold get a new Camry for about 1500. the tolls to Pattaya amount to about 150 baht...find out who's paying. It can be better if you pay as you go with these as he may charge you and not go on the toll-paying motorway!

If you want to save a bit; get to know someone on the plane or at the airport and share a cab...the touts look right pissed off!