Another Sorry Story

Thai police tried to blame boyfriend for woman's death

A Sydney man was forced to wait for six days in Thailand after local police allegedly tried to blame him for a motorcycle accident that killed his girlfriend, despite CCTV video proving he was not to blame.

Jamie Keith and Nicole Fitzsimons were holidaying in Koh Samui last month when the tragic accident unfolded.

CCTV cameras captured the moment a local driver, allegedly travelling at 80km/h, careered straight into the couple as they waited to turn into their resort on a motorcycle, A Current Affair reports.

"We came to a stand still waiting for an on-coming scooter to go past," Mr Keith said.

"This almighty bang just hit us from behind and I just remembered flying across the road and sort of blanked out for a second.

"I yelled and screamed for help. I was telling her it was all going to be okay."

Full story: http://news.ninemsn....or-womans-death

-- 9NEWS National 2012-11-28

footer_n.gif

Edited by webfact
OP changed //Admin

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story is about four weeks old. Just wondering why it never appeared in local news. Also first time in mainstream Aus news.

No mention of Australian embassy / consulate involvement either.

Not saying it didn't happen, but Channel Nine is well known for exaggerating & fabrications of stories for ratings.

• Like 2

This story is about four weeks old. Just wondering why it never appeared in local news. Also first time in mainstream Aus news.

No mention of Australian embassy / consulate involvement either.

Not saying it didn't happen, but Channel Nine is well known for exaggerating & fabrications of stories for ratings.

Did you see the video ??? what do you mean exaggerating ....did accident not happen / ...was a life not lost because ( from the video) a young Thai driving very fast hit the couple from behind ..blink.png

how can one exaggerate a loss of life .....

Clearly it cannot be the couple's fault .. they were hit from behind

Never said it didn't happen, never said the scenario didn't take place. just that this News Source is well known for embellishing stories.

Please just think for one second, the Australian embassy would have had to be involved.Legal aspects would have been suggested & advised.

Not contesting CCTV or a death has occurred

I have scoured several Australian news sources , waiting for.more details.

'It is with great sadness that we share the terrible news that Hawkesbury Radio Rugby League Commentary Team Member Nicole Fitzsimons was involved in a fatal motorbike accident while holidaying in Thailand.

The news was broadcast on Channel Nine on Saturday October 20. Here is the transcript from the Nine News bulletin' see http://hawkesburyradio.com.au/

and http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/1079733/charity-to-honour-nicole/?cs=148

• Like 1

'It is with great sadness that we share the terrible news that Hawkesbury Radio Rugby League Commentary Team Member Nicole Fitzsimons was involved in a fatal motorbike accident while holidaying in Thailand.

The news was broadcast on Channel Nine on Saturday October 20. Here is the transcript from the Nine News bulletin' see http://hawkesburyradio.com.au/

and http://www.dailyadve...-nicole/?cs=148

Good work Churchill.
  • Like 1

havin watched the CCTV images, it appears to be a young Thai travelling with no care in the world with no road sense , and just carering straight into them, and it is clearly visible to be the Thai's fault ...

This is why , when driving a motorbike in thailand, i NEVER wait in the centre lane to turn Right, i wait on the side till all the traffic is clear , then ride across, as to many crazy drivers out there can crash into you ( mainly drunk TRUCK drivers )

No one said it was his fault. I just like to know where the Australian Embassy was during the aftermath of the accident.

havin watched the CCTV images, it appears to be a young Thai travelling with no care in the world with no road sense , and just carering straight into them, and it is clearly visible to be the Thai's fault ...

This is why , when driving a motorbike in thailand, i NEVER wait in the centre lane to turn Right, i wait on the side till all the traffic is clear , then ride across, as to many crazy drivers out there can crash into you ( mainly drunk TRUCK drivers )

No one said it was his fault. I just like to know where the Australian Embassy was during the aftermath of the accident.

The police report is ...

They won't inform the embassy if they are trying to stitch someone up , and if no other foreign influence is aware if the arrest

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

The police report is ...

They won't inform the embassy if they are trying to stitch someone up , and if no other foreign influence is aware if the arrest

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If the embassy was called then the pre prepared statement of confession would have to be in English, he would have to be made aware of what he was signing and not just some document written in Thai signing over his kidneys to somchais mother.

Edited by chooka

Once again an event that would make local or perhaps national headlines in the homelands of contributors to this thread has happened under the noses of those that live here without the majority knowing anything about it.

How can the BIB conceal this & yet sell or otherwise disperse footage of Rape victims etc to the highest bidder within hours of their ordeal(s)?

Edited by evadgib

He can't seriously push all the blame on the other rider, he pulled out from one one side of the road and cut across to the other without even looking behind to see if anything was coming and was at no point stationary. No indicator! when turning he was way off the correct place to be turning (one side of road to other!). He couldn't possibly be an experienced rider driving like that, does it say in the report if he has a bike license, no sound on this computer. Seems like the other guy was going to fast to react but to give him full blame is wrong, I don't know what the speed limit is on that section of road but lots of the other trucks and bikes travelling at a similar speed. I do think the ozzie guy could have easily prevented this by doing what any experienced bike rider does by always checking behind several times if necessary before turning. What was his rush it was a busy road. Maybe he was too focused on what was coming towards him or had a drink who knows. Would anyone just change lanes on a motorway without checking your mirrors, indicating and checking your blind spot. Did she die from head injuries? Didn't see any helmets on the cctv.

Just my opinion.

There is another thread running on this same topic http://www.thaivisa....r-womans-death/

That one was in the general area where more people could see and has been shut down.

Well Chooka it's a Samui incident, it is linked to the other thread.

That was my fault not the moderators. I placed the story in the general area for all to see as I thought it should be brought to the attention of the wider audience. My appologies to the samui members..

He can't seriously push all the blame on the other rider, he pulled out from one one side of the road and cut across to the other without even looking behind to see if anything was coming and was at no point stationary. No indicator! when turning he was way off the correct place to be turning (one side of road to other!). He couldn't possibly be an experienced rider driving like that, does it say in the report if he has a bike license, no sound on this computer. Seems like the other guy was going to fast to react but to give him full blame is wrong, I don't know what the speed limit is on that section of road but lots of the other trucks and bikes travelling at a similar speed. I do think the ozzie guy could have easily prevented this by doing what any experienced bike rider does by always checking behind several times if necessary before turning. What was his rush it was a busy road. Maybe he was too focused on what was coming towards him or had a drink who knows. Would anyone just change lanes on a motorway without checking your mirrors, indicating and checking your blind spot. Did she die from head injuries? Didn't see any helmets on the cctv.

Just my opinion.

oh the BIB are in thier rights then to extort money and get him to sign something that he can't even read. Are you serious. Bloody farangs causing allm the dramas in Thailand again. Yeah I know if they had of stayed out of Thailand it wouldn't have happened thier fault.

Edited by softgeorge

]No one said it was his fault. I just like to know where the Australian Embassy was during the aftermath of the accident.

There's not a lot the embassy could have done in regards to the police except to advise him to do what he did anyway: Refuse to sign anything in Thai, and refuse to give up his passport.

Well, the one thing they could have done is retrieve his passport if the police took it, but they didn't.

The people trying to blame him for the death of his girlfriend, especially the ones assuming he was drunk should DIAF. The guy was obviously not an experienced motorbike rider as evidenced by his failure to check his blind spot, but checking it would have done nothing in this case anyway, since the rider that hit them was going ridiculously fast, and he wouldn't have had time to correct his action anyway.

If this had happened in Australia, the rider that hit them would have been charged with culpable driving/reckless driving causing death and imprisoned. Both his speed and the fact that he was trying to overtake a vehicle turning right on their right hand side are straightforward examples of reckless driving.

Edited by ydraw

Just my opinion.

oh the BIB are in thier rights then to extort money and get him to sign something that he can't even read. Are you serious. Bloody farangs causing allm the dramas in Thailand again. Yeah I know if they had of stayed out of Thailand it wouldn't have happened thier fault.

Did I mention the police? No,but feel free to answer your own questions. I just get sick of shoddy journalism evident in the article, wouldn't waste time talking about the thai police.

Just my opinion.

Just my opinion.

The police would not be in they’re rights to extort money from anyone, agreed on that. But this is only hearsay according to the statement made by the Australian, who has not substantiated any facts.

On viewing the video the accident was clearly at least 95% the fault of the Australian guy, who may have had a few drinks prior to the return journey, failed to ensure that he and his fiancée were wearing safety helmets, failed to look into his rear view mirrors and failed to indicate he was turning right from a position on the near side of the road.

In my opinion he should have been charged with negligent driving and not making excuses or passing the buck onto other people.

Here are the facts: If the Australian would have followed a few simple traffic procedures, than his fiancée would have been alive and well today.

Don`t take my word for it. Watch the video yourself, the evidence doesn’t lie.

I wonder if the other party concerned, that`s if he survived, will ever receive compensation and justice for his trauma and injuries? Somehow I doubt it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1