House Warming Party How Much For Monks?

sms747

Real Monks should not expect money. This is why they walk around early morning to receive food related gifts. For some reason you also se them hanging around Panthip and checking out the latest laptops, iPhones etc. rolleyes.gif

I don't get why you give money to the monks individually surely the money should be for the temple.

Me and the misses was watching a programme on BBC about a monk from Thailand who was living in Luton(just outside London) trying to spread the good faith,it turned out they had bought a house right next to a run down council estate and the monk was having a few problems so was looking to buy a new house in a better area, the house was 25 million bht marble bathroom and all that ,the misses couldn't actually believe it and was truly shocked,needless to say the monks don't get to much money from the misses nowadays.

A lot of the thai people are aware of how much money the mOnks have these days there is various posts on thai webboards saying not to give loads of money to the monks.

We had this done in our new house.

There were 9 new monks (who nicely decorated the house with string around perimeter of property, which still remains a year later).

The HMIC received 500 baht, and the other 8 each received 200 baht. Wife told me that is fair and too crazy of an amount. Of course, we also fed them very well and gave them each one of those nice monk baskets with supplies.

The best part was the partying with my Thai family after monks left....lots of booze and laughs.

Agree, it must be done or you will suffer the wrath....of your wife (worse than just about any other type I can think of).

Hope that helps.

Edited: asked wife how much we gave monks and listed it.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by osten

Real Monks should not expect money. This is why they walk around early morning to receive food related gifts. For some reason you also se them hanging around Panthip and checking out the latest laptops, iPhones etc. rolleyes.gif

Yes; my Wife has a Cousin with a 14 year old Son who has been a Monk since he was 12. We were in Cousins house two weeks ago and in walks Monk Son and hands Mum 3,000 Baht. 'What's that for? ' says Mum. Monk Son says 'I've got too much money Mum so I want you to have some of it'. After more questioning it seems that people are constantly giving the young Monks money just for 'being there'. They tell them 'not for temple but your pocket money'. Boss Monk apparently lets them keep it to do with what they will.

Over the years ( about 15 ), my in laws have donated more than 40 million baht to various temples , but when the monks come to the house blessing ceremony , the Head Monk got only 1000 and the rest six 500 each ( I thought they would get more ).

Asked the misses and she said they should not expect more than that . So I don't really know how this work .

Before you guys jump the gun , the donations were not for tax deduction purpose nor face buying as a lot of their donations were anonymous.