Possible Divorce But Money In Joint Thai Bank.

hi,

just a question at minute, me and wife going through a very bad patch , we have a joint account with kasikorn , there is a lot of money in the account. my wife wants 50-50 but most around 80% of the money is mine. things have been said in heat of the moment and i am afraid incase she tries to take it, she has never ever stolen money from me or anything of that nature but now she is bitter and angry towards me vice versa. what can i do to secure my money ? the money is in a trust fund and we make 3% a year on it and its due to mature in around 5 months time.

do the two of us have to be in thailand to get the money out when it matures ?

can they release the funds to only 1 person ?

there is no atm card with the account only 2 bank books. we have a 3 year old daughter and i wouldnt like to think my wife would steal her daughters fathers money, that said i know it has happened many times before, as i say things have been heated and angry words exchanged but im hoping if things do come to an end then we can come to a mutual and respectfull arrangement.

thanks in advance

If you can get in their now get it out befoe she does. Then if 50/50 thing comes in you can do the right thing if you feel that's the way to go or let her chase you through the civil courts. Either way odds on she will be there soon if not already. Find out if 2 signatures are required, if so get into the bank and give them the heads up on it.

friend of mine is dying with cancer, he wanted to return home to die, he assumed she would be happy with the house and trusted her to let him have the cash to help with a comfortable passing with his family in his home country. She was not, took the cash out of the bank and ran back to Isaan. Just waiting for him to pass on then come back and get the house. been together happy couple 9 years until a money issue came up.

Edited by marstons

A friend of mine was in a similar situation, and I don't know how exactly but it seems his wife was able to withdraw funds from what he was told was an account requiring 2 signatures. It could be that he either misunderstood or was misled when they opened the account. He also found that the staff at the bank would happily tell his wife information about his own financial affairs that he would have hoped they would have kept confidential. I am speculating, but I would also not be surprised if your wife was able to secure a loan from the bank using your joint account as collateral, and so tying up the funds. My friend lives upcountry, and I think the banking rules and regulations may become more "flexible" outside of the big cities.

My advice would be as others have suggested - swallow your pride, buy her something nice, tell her "I'm so sorry darling..." and start making preparations for when/if it happens again, or else make plans for your own exit strategy. See a lawyer and ask him for a "worst case scenario" based on your current situation.

we are both in the uk at minute, i fly back to thailand ( alone ) in january. i will try get her passport and keep it from her so she cannot fly or even my daughters passport as my wife has no one else in uk to take care of our daughter so she will have to fly together if she wants to go and try lift the money.

i must say that yesterday i called my wife and told her that i wanted half the money in her uk bank account, she met me at the bank 30 minutes later, went in and withdrew what i asked for and handed me the cash. maybe she is playing now and thinking of the bigger game ? who knows ?

as i say the trust fund is called ( specific foreign invest fund ) kasikorn bank. but also states on the book bangkok bank plc ?

has anyone anymore advice on this kind of account, if indeed it needs 2 signatures for withdrawl . obviously if i withdraw early i will lose the intrest.

Which party to advise. Maybe the foreigner has a few mia nois and the faithful wife deserves everything.

Or the foreigner found out he is not number one.

Which party to advise. Maybe the foreigner has a few mia nois and the faithful wife deserves everything.

Or the foreigner found out he is not number one.

please, just do not be an <Flame removed> khun jean and answer the question . this is not about my relationship , do you understand that , or not ?

Edited by metisdead

You have a 3 year old daughter.

The UK divorce court will give your wife your entire UK house, at least 50% of all your other assets, along with 10% of any earned income until the child is aged 19.

Oh, and if she wants to play hard ball, and accuses you of being suicidal due to your ongoing illness (which her solicitor will 'unofficially' advise), you will only be allowed 2-3 hours supervised access per week with your child. Let's hope your medical problems aren't due to alcohol abuse ............

The split of your savings in a Thai account is the least of your worries.

If she can produce records of your Thai account the UK judge will award depending on the level of funds up to 1 year prior to the divorce application, no matter whose name any accounts are in. So neither of you can take the money out, unless agreed jointly.

The UK is not a good place for a man to get divorced.

If you want any hope of a fair split (assets or custody), move back to Thailand with your daughter today.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The UK divorce court will give your wife your entire UK house, at least 50% of all your other assets, along with 10% of any earned income until the child is aged 19.

Oh, and if she wants to play hard ball, and accuses you of being suicidal due to your ongoing illness (which her solicitor will 'unofficially' advise), you will only be allowed 2-3 hours supervised access per week with your child. Let's hope your medical problems aren't due to alcohol abuse ............

If she can produce records of your Thai account the UK judge will award depending on the level of funds up to 1 year prior to the divorce application, no matter whose name any accounts are in. So neither of you can take the money out, unless agreed jointly.

If you want any hope of a fair split (assets or custody), move back to Thailand with your daughter today.

thanks tommo, though i just wish it were that easy .

i will try get her passport and keep it from her so she cannot fly

Irrespective of whether it is a UK or Thai passport when you say "get" do you mean steal? I am pretty sure she could get a replacement easily enough and the act of "getting" won't count much in your favour in any future divorce proceedings.

Depending where he lives, if he is really unlucky, one of the more knowing Thai shithouse lawyers will already have advised her to claim spousal abuse, domestic violence or whatever name it goes by these days.

Just pray she is not being influenced by the Thais in the UK, there are some right hard faced cows over there.

Depending where he lives, if he is really unlucky, one of the more knowing Thai shithouse lawyers will already have advised her to claim spousal abuse, domestic violence or whatever name it goes by these days.

Just pray she is not being influenced by the Thais in the UK, there are some right hard faced cows over there.

I think you will find almost every vaguely competent UK divorce lawyer will suggest this path.

No evidence is required in family court.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

we are both in the uk at minute, i fly back to thailand ( alone ) in january. i will try get her passport and keep it from her so she cannot fly or even my daughters passport as my wife has no one else in uk to take care of our daughter so she will have to fly together if she wants to go and try lift the money.

i must say that yesterday i called my wife and told her that i wanted half the money in her uk bank account, she met me at the bank 30 minutes later, went in and withdrew what i asked for and handed me the cash. maybe she is playing now and thinking of the bigger game ? who knows ?

as i say the trust fund is called ( specific foreign invest fund ) kasikorn bank. but also states on the book bangkok bank plc ?

has anyone anymore advice on this kind of account, if indeed it needs 2 signatures for withdrawl . obviously if i withdraw early i will lose the intrest.

It means that it is not a savings account but a you have subscribed to a foreign investment fund issued by Bangkok bank but for which Kasikorn is an agent, and which you only can withdraw at the expiry date or earlier with taking a loss if at all.,

Don't you really know what happens to your own money?If you're lucky it's a monetary fund with a fixed return.

Another thread for the "all Thai ladies are cheaters"-brigade. The fact that the lady in question met the OP in their UK-bank, handed over half of the amount in their joint account there within 30 mins, is ignored by everyone, as is doesn't serve the brigades purposes!whistling.gif That the OP in his opening post says, that he consider his wife to be honest is also ignored for the same reasons.

@scorpio. I think you are being paranoid. So forget "getting" your wifes passport, talk to your wife about, what to do with the money in Thailand. Ask her what she thinks would be a fair split, if it is all deposited during marriage, she is entitled to 50/50. As you are flying down first, bring the bank-papers and tell your wife the fly down for a day or two, and do the split in the bank. And she can fly back to your daughter. Best of luck thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

will try get her passport and keep it from her so she cannot fly or even my daughters passport as my wife has no one else in uk to take care of our daughter so she will have to fly together if she wants to go and try lift the money.

You do know you are commiting a criminal offsense by withholding "her" passport, it's not her passport, its the goverments passport and all she has to do is put a complaint in with the respective embassy and your in for the high jump.....this is.no different from effectively "kidnapping" her...wink.png

• Like 1

Irrespective of whether it is a UK or Thai passport when you say "get" do you mean steal? I am pretty sure she could get a replacement easily enough and the act of "getting" won't count much in your favour in any future divorce proceedings.

I am pretty sure he could end up with criminal charges as well...wink.png

I am pretty sure he could end up with criminal charges as well...wink.png

Is this just a hunch you have or can you provide any supporting links?

Unless it's a term account not allowing for even a penalty withdrawal, I would guess it's a matter of which party makes the withdrawal first. But saying that I also realize TIT.

Edit for addition.

I just now realize you're talking about the withholding of the passport regarding criminal charges. I believe this is correct. I would add however the "proof" is in the pudding. Certainly a difficult charge to successfully lodge.

When it comes to the withdrawal of the account, I think my statement holds water.

I've been down this path before but we were able to work things out amicably and remain friends.

Edited by watcharacters

Many marriages do from time to time go through a difficult period. Your first thing to do is to think things over togehter and see if you want to continue your relationship and work on improving it or going to actually divorce before you take actions that would hurt the chances of mending the relationship.

• Like 2

Yes, it is a pity his wife does not have a account on Thai Visa because then we can advice her to get to the money first and 'get' his passport so he can not travel. This is all one-sided. Maybe he is a drunk and a cheater. Maybe she is. Best to not pick sides.

I would suggest that these topics are best ignored.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a pity his wife does not have a account on Thai Visa because then we can advice her to get to the money first and 'get' his passport so he can not travel. This is all one-sided. Maybe he is a drunk and a cheater. Maybe she is. Best to not pick sides.

Well he did say on another forum

"excuse me tommo but there is no domestic violence !! &lt;deleted&gt; bah.gif i think she has been more spoilt and pampered than any other thai girl i know who is married to a farang in uk. wink.png "

Obviously he thinks confiscating one's passport so they cant leave the country as spoiling and pampering them...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

"excuse me tommo but there is no domestic violence !! &lt;deleted&gt; bah.gif i think she has been more spoilt and pampered than any other thai girl i know who is married to a farang in uk. wink.png "

whistling.gif

Accusations of domestic violence are easy to make, impossible to disprove.

In the UK family court reality isn't all that important to the womans story.

then ignore them and dont post...simple isnt it ?

Obviously he thinks confiscating one's passport so they cant leave the country as spoiling and pampering them...rolleyes.gif

yea and i will let her go and take the lot ? no way she is going to take my life savings !!! im being more than generous and fair in giving her 50-50 only because of our daughter, if we didnt have a daughter i would take most of it myself and give her a little to get by ( more than she deserves )

just for the record , she has 25 baht worth of gold ( which i bought her ) and a 3 year old house in her name (which i bought her ) and i have not asked her for anything only to be fair and honest and i am prepared to walk away with my 50% though i am not happy about it !!! as i say ( only because of our daughter ) over 7 years i have spent millions of baht on her, holidays gold.house etc.

a question for southpeel - what would you do ?

Edited by scorpio