Who Is Really Benefitting From Rice Subsidies?: Thai Editorial

webfact

In the wife's village they allotted some money that a farmer may have with no questions asked and in your hand when you sell, no waiting. They pay at 17 baht per kilo.

Maybe my math is pretty crook however 17 baht a kilo should be 17,000 baht per ton, at least the last time I went to school 17 x 1000 equalled 17000. If the rice pledge is for 15,000 baht per ton (right???) what's the problem? I would think that the farmers would lining up in droves to get that sort of cash in hand.

Something smells here and it ain't the fish in Denmark

Not if it's Hom Mali rice which they were promised 20B a kilo for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

I thought that maybe it was Hom Mali but even if it was no buyer would pay 17 baht a kilo straight to a farmer. I know of a mill in the central area and they pay about 10k cash per ton (not Hom Mali) after they analyse the paddy for rubbish and moisture content. The mill owner says the farmers are more than happy with cash in hand than waiting for the government to pay up.

Hense my comment about something smelling at 17 baht per kilo regardless if it is Hom Mali or not. Maybe Moruya can tell what variety of rice it was

In the wife's village they allotted some money that a farmer may have with no questions asked and in your hand when you sell, no waiting. They pay at 17 baht per kilo.

Maybe my math is pretty crook however 17 baht a kilo should be 17,000 baht per ton, at least the last time I went to school 17 x 1000 equalled 17000. If the rice pledge is for 15,000 baht per ton (right???) what's the problem? I would think that the farmers would lining up in droves to get that sort of cash in hand.

I thought that maybe it was Hom Mali but even if it was no buyer would pay 17 baht a kilo straight to a farmer. I know of a mill in the central area and they pay about 10k cash per ton (not Hom Mali) after they analyse the paddy for rubbish and moisture content. The mill owner says the farmers are more than happy with cash in hand than waiting for the government to pay up.

Hense my comment about something smelling at 17 baht per kilo regardless if it is Hom Mali or not. Maybe Moruya can tell what variety of rice it was

I can't tell you for sure but I'd wager a keg of beer that it was.

The rubbish "definition" is a real kicker on this one. Actually in the calculations, that is the processing yield cost. So actually, the farmers are penalised for the loss during the milling process, which i have never heard of in my 15 years on and off in agriculture.

If it's soaking wet, that is the difference between moisture, but removing a few stones and the such should never constitute the clip that these mills are taking.

Paddy to finished yield is 68 to 70 percent. Nice job the Millers have done convincing the farmers it's their fault for growing rice with a husk, some bran and some other stuff on it.

Maybe i should develop a seed that only produces the kernel.