Putting A Ceiling Into The In-Laws House. Costs, Do's & Don'ts

jambco984

Sorry to be vague, a basic type of ceiling is all that's required.

Something that will keep things sealed from the geckos on the roof and for the a/c to be made cooler in the bedroom.

I'd want to know about ventilation and these sorts of things but I would really need to be hand fed information as I am clueless. I have a builder uncle as so many do but I would like to oversee what I am paying for and not end up with a "oh well its the best I could do" kind of attitude. He is very competent but if I have some knowledge then it wont be the Thai leading the blind so to speak.

So cost per metre if there is such a thing and other things I should be taking into consideration.

Different ways of putting together a ceiling, best materials to use. I am in Sukhothai we have a couple of HomeMart's but not much.

Thanks for any help and as I said sorry to be so vague but I am truly clueless.

jambco984.

wai.gif

Not much to putting up a ceiling..typically 38mm X 38mm battens secured to your trusses and gyspum plaster board nailed to battens...tape seal joints, skim coat with plaster and paint...for better effciency Re the aircon...insulate the ceiling...rolls of fiberglass insulation very availible throughout Thailand

• Like 1

For ease of installation and future above ceiling access, I would put in a drop ceing with 60cm x 60cm inserts and insulate above with rolls of at least 4' insulation. I did my entire house this way, sans insulation in some areas.

• Like 1

Cheaper way is 'T' bar grid with 60cm X 60cm tiles, make sure the holding wires are twisted and for more efficiency insulate with rolls of fiberglass.

Fixers for this are in Sukhothai if not in your jungle village.laugh.png .

You can put inexpensive close netted grills boths sides above the ceiling area for a through airflow below roof level.

• Like 1

Will comment shortly. Thank you for the pearls of wisdom so far.

Cheap is nice, thinking about it the In- Laws don't really need it doing so maybe just my bedroom will be getting done.

Its all about the cheap and cheerful but effective.

jambco984

Not much to putting up a ceiling..typically 38mm X 38mm battens secured to your trusses and gyspum plaster board nailed to battens...tape seal joints, skim coat with plaster and paint...for better effciency Re the aircon...insulate the ceiling...rolls of fiberglass insulation very availible throughout Thailand

Thanks for the info Soutpeel, I truly am clueless though. Will see what happens though.

For ease of installation and future above ceiling access, I would put in a drop ceing with 60cm x 60cm inserts and insulate above with rolls of at least 4' insulation. I did my entire house this way, sans insulation in some areas.

Sounds good. As I said above though I am truly clueless so I will have to read into it more thumbsup.gif

Cheaper way is 'T' bar grid with 60cm X 60cm tiles, make sure the holding wires are twisted and for more efficiency insulate with rolls of fiberglass.

Fixers for this are in Sukhothai if not in your jungle village.laugh.png .

You can put inexpensive close netted grills boths sides above the ceiling area for a through airflow below roof level.

Yeah well living in the jungle is where I want to be, its the life for me. The bustling city life of Sukhothai is just too much for me matey laugh.png

What we looking at for a standard sized bedroom to get done Mr Kwaka wai.gifthumbsup.gif