Proficient In Thai (Farangs Only)

arch77778

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After almost 5 years here I speak, read, and understand about as much as a 3-4 year old child. This doesnt sound like a lot but I find it extremely useful in many situations. I study online and the occasional private lesson on and off.

I have known people who were able to pick it up near fluent in a year, and others who have been here for 10 years that know less than me. It all depends on the persons aptitude and effort.

• Like 1

No disrespect intended, but I have been here for more than 20 years and I have never met anyone who became fluent in one year. In fact, I only know one Westerner who has become really fluent during the whole time I have lived here. He speaks about 5 languages and has studied Thai every day for more than two decades. However, he got really good in about 5 years. My Thai staff tell me that his Thai is excellent,. but Sabaijai is even better and has been here much longer.

I do know a number of other Westerners who can speak Thai reasonably well, but nowhere close to being really fluent.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The only farang that I have seen that are fluent are those who grew up here. I have been here 3 years and speak passable conversatonal Thai. The benefit is huge (for me, in my opinion) as it seperates me from the "Buffalo" tourists and isolated expats. I have gotten to know people and seen things I I never would have if I couldnt speak. Many may have no desire to learn or not need to, but for me, speaking Thai has greatly improved my experience here. Even poorly accented Thai is appreciated by the locals and helps one get off the "tourist track". Any effort to learn Thai is a good thing as long as you dont add "Mak Mak" to ever word you know : )

If you spend two years in a Thai jail, you will speak very good Thai.

Nothing else to do, no distractions, no other language to speak.

(I have a friend who learnt Thai this way, very quick, very effective, hardly any cost)

Very true. I know someone who just got out after a few years and he went from super basic Thai to conversational.

(I have a friend who learnt Thai this way, very quick, very effective, hardly any cost)

Very true. I know someone who just got out after a few years and he went from super basic Thai to conversational.

So we're actually promoting a stint inside prisons that feature in Amnesty's "World's Worst Prisons List" as an effective and rational way to learn a language?

Am I missing something here?

I'm assuming both of the quoted comments are extremely tongue-in-cheek.

Also, if you want to promote a much safer analogue, surely becoming a monk and being exclusively in a wat would be a much less dangerous way to get the same, if not better education. Not to mention that monks are often the most educated members of Thai society.

It'd allow you the same solitary and seclusion, without the very obvious downside of having all your liberty curtailed.

You'd also get to learn the religion, which is enmeshed in their culture and daily lives.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

I do not disagree with you......but no offence, personally I don't wish to learn Thai that way.

Hope your friend is now OK.

Cheers.

I don't know what "90% fluent" means - as is often the case, my reading is far better than my other skills but unless it's a text on a particularly technical topic, I can read general fiction, the news, blogs etc in Thai without too much difficulty - but if you want to get to a decent level in any language, unless you're blessed with exceptional natural ability, you have to read. One of the most important parts of learning a language is being exposed to comprehensible input, which is exactly what extensive reading gives you. Reading obviously helps develop skills in reading but I've also found that it's helped my listening hugely and it also helps enormously with acquiring and retaining vocabulary as well as getting you to internalize Thai’s unusual (from an English-speaker’s perspective) sentence-level and discourse-level patterns.

And I have thought of another passive downside to being able to understand Thai and that's the fact I can know understand everything that's said in the 3 & 7 mini operas my wife is inextricably addicted to

They're quite good (in a trashy kind of way) when you get into them - had some funny parts (the tom was great) and I've been inexpicably drawn to

• Like 1

After almost 5 years here I speak, read, and understand about as much as a 3-4 year old child. This doesnt sound like a lot but I find it extremely useful in many situations. I study online and the occasional private lesson on and off.

I have known people who were able to pick it up near fluent in a year, and others who have been here for 10 years that know less than me. It all depends on the persons aptitude and effort.

How Private are your occasional lessons ? 555.

And I have thought of another passive downside to being able to understand Thai and that's the fact I can know understand everything that's said in the 3 & 7 mini operas my wife is inextricably addicted to

They're quite good (in a trashy kind of way) when you get into them - had some funny parts (the tom was great) and I've been inexpicably drawn to

I'll be man enough to admit I occasionally get drawn into it too! If I didn't understand, I'd be oblivious. smile.png

I've not watched one for at least a year, to be fair.

My favourite Thai television and probably the only thing I do watch (other than news)

The Police! Stop! Camera! affair on Thursday nights. I really like that.

Thai is easier than English.

Id even say much easier.

An example would be get a Thai to translate the words rough, tough, laugh, enough....thats just a start of how English has no rhyme nor reason.

Learning Thai is a piece of cake compared to something like Chinese.

If you enjoy the whole subject of learning languages, then you will find it easy.

• Like 1

ManinSurat summed it up wonderfully. Am I near 90%? No, but I could go a full day without speaking any English. I have been here for about 4 years and after 1-2 I felt comfortable. I did move back to the US so I would say about 6+ years speaking it, 4+ where I seriously tried. My ex had a MS TEFL and would help explain complicated subjects, however she rarely corrected my incorrect pronunciations. My new GF is much better with being honest about my Thai. A few weeks ago I took up a private tutor for reading and writing because I find myself bored with self study and if I pay for something I keep at a schedule. I have grown a lot in a few short weeks and hope to pass the 6th grade equivalency test within a year.

• Like 1

Although i started this topic i wish to complement MarinSurat (so did others) on his contribution which i found exceptional.No doubt many of us Farangs will learn much from his response.You have a really loving etc Missus and i can confirm there are those kind of women in LOS.

• Like 1

I am no where near fluent & have no idea how long it will take

as many times I reach plateaus & my enthusiasm wanes a bit.

Have studied on my own for a few years

then also took reading & writing at a university.

My wife of course helps as she is Thai but the problem is she speaks English so

well having lived in the US for 5 years that most times we settle back into English.

Many times even when I ask her questions in Thai she will unconsciously answer in English.

As for benefits I would guess it is obviously a benefit to be able

to speak the language of any country you choose to reside in.

Both for daily tasks being easier or even for an emergency need to get a point

across. But in my case I also like being able to speak even a little & understand my wifes

family when we are at their homes. Otherwise you feel so left out just sitting there or needing your

wife to translate everything for you.

One thing I will say about reading & writing is I can read much better than I can speak.

Because of course once you learn to read you can read most words but that does not mean you know what

they mean :)

But I have said before that I wish I started with reading right off. Because if you learn any Thai through transliteration

you will have the wrong pronunciation stuck in your head. Simple things like the number 7

Transliterated they always write Jet yet the Thai word is เจ็ด which ends in daw-dek ด

So a D sound not a T sound.

That is just one of many examples. So in that way reading has helped me.

• Like 2

Probably one of the best posts i have seen on Thai Visa from Maninsurat.........clap2.gif

I presume you are down south(maybe wrong)if so how would you converse up here in Isaan which as i am sure you know is a mixture of Lao and Thai and in the east Khmer even and would be very different from your dialect in the south?

My Thai after five years continuous is excellent spoken but i cannot read a bean and have never really tried either,i really would like too one day but find it a bind and get along fine with all and sundry through speech alone.

Like i say just curious about the OP's initial question really because of the different dialects the percentage is not an issue is it.

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

I have learned a good amount of Thai over the years and can read and write and type though there is still much more I wish to learn. Learning Thai is like earning freedom. The more you know, the more freedom you get. Freedom to speak to anyone, freedom to order from any menu, freedom to watch any movie, freedom to be a bigger part of what is going on around you, freedom to achieve more. Too many freedoms to list and many locked doors are opened.

Learning Thai is not something you can just do and get out of the way. It's just too big and daunting for that. It is a gradual process. Take each small step up the ladder and notice it pays dividends and find inspiration to go further. At the end of the day, you've got to want it. It just won't happen by itself.

• Like 2

Learning to read is a major step in my opinion. As others have pointed, you never reach a point when you stop learning - but that's also true of your first language as well. Being able to read Thai will open up a much wider vocabulary and probably mean that you can appreciate the language as more than just a practical conversational tool.

I seem to have good and weaker days for speaking Thai but one reason I was put in my current position was because of my Thai language skills. The downside side is that I'm always required to attend meetings that other foreign staff miss out on. I sometimes have to conduct meetings for our department in Thai when the head is not available. I don't feel completely comfortable but when people are asking questions and discussing what I've said, I realize that I've got it over and they're focused on the content.

The other thing that being able to read well has done for me is that I can work as a Thai-English translator. Most Thai-English translators in Thailand are Thai and sometimes the results of the English translations leave a lot to be desired. So I started picking up work editing some of these horrors and when people realized I read and understand written Thai well, I was able to get work as a translator. I'm good at it and enjoy it as much as my full-time job.

I don't really need to write much in Thai and I'm definitely not competent enough to do serious English-Thai translation work. I sometimes need to send memos out in Thai but I have loads of templates and examples that I can tweak.

I do not know my % level but i do think enough to answer your question.

Reading definately help to learn quicker.You need to know where is difference between the BPai sound (ไป) and Bai sound (บ่าย) otherwise all is guessingwork and many times you will get it wrong as one other poster did say.

Also many different sounds when words start with the sound of j,ch, g,k,kh, sometimes will sound the same to a beginner but can only know for sure when you can read to see the difference for yourself.This is the reason so many Thai cannot understand what a farang try to say as even a slight change will make a very different word

many other benefit include:

-knowing for certain what bus/van to get on, if can read the location no need for a guess and to get driven all over town to wrong place

-can be good time passer when caught in traffic jam, read signs and businesses on the side of the road

-read menu at restaurant with thai only will open a whole new wold of food choices and good to study when bored waiting at SLOW service place!

-AND when the waiter see that you can read and know the price they will stop trying to pad onto the bill

-If you teach English also big benefit in helping your student in many ways when student does not understand things in English.

-when meeting new people who do not know you understand give you advantage of weeding out the dirtbags you DONT want to knowwhistling.gif

also speaking Thai good to the taxi always have a better chance of no problem and so very strange..after i did learn Thai it make every taxi driver suddenly have small change he could give merolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I am guessing that there are very few Westerners that are "90%" fluent in Thai. I am guessing that the mod Sabaijai might be up to that standard, but he is proficient indeed.

That might be because Sabaijai is Thai!!!

There are quite a few people on this forum that are dual passport holders and totally educated in their western parents country. That doesn't mean they are proficient in the Thai language, a few speak nothing at all, more read and write nothing at all.

Edited by TommoPhysicist