Proficient In Thai (Farangs Only)

arch77778

I'm sorry, I forgot to list my benefits.

95% of my friends are Thai, and I continue to make new ones. I never have a boring night unless it was my choice. Hell, I think the downside is that I have gotten fatter, poorer(no, I am not treating everyone) and sleep deprived from going out so much.

Day to day life is much easier.

I get treated very differently because I can speak. This can vary from people opening up and being talkative with me to having people know they can't rip me off anymore.

Being able to speak with my GF in Thai despite her level of proficiency, hell her level of proficiency is a great reason I should be able to read and write as well as she can in English and Italian.

When I lived in the US with my Ex, we could talk about anything in public and have a "private" conversation.

and lastly, it's just fun. Learning is fun to me, being able to communicate with more people is fun, and Thai can just be a fun language.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing that there are very few Westerners that are "90%" fluent in Thai. I am guessing that the mod Sabaijai might be up to that standard, but he is proficient indeed.

That might be because Sabaijai is Thai!!!

The last that I knew he was trying to get permanant residence here, so I don't think so. wink.png

Because I live in CM, I do speak northern, but not as well as I can listen to it. Don't understand how a local dialect could be a problem.

As for my age, I am 30. have divorced, hold a degree in counseling (doesn't mean I'm perfect in my own life), and have parents who to this day have meaningful conversations daily. So for me, this is a BIG thing, it might not be for you and it doesn't have to be for everyone, but the question stated by the OP was to list benefits, and for me this is a benefit.

CM Lanna and village Lanna are almost entirely different, they wouldn't understand each other.

I thought you sounded young ............

Off Topic

Walked through CM Uni this morning, then up the Pilgrims Trail to Wat Doi Suthep.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

PS

Nobody in Thailand has a boring evening, unless they are cornered by Thais and generously allowed to pay for everything. To not have a boring night, you just need 500bht (1500 in BK) in your pocket and no Thai 'pals' leeching off you.

I can easily have a non boring night out in Bkk for 500 baht, if I avoid farang areas.I go to Thai areas with Thai friends (not freeloaders) examples include, 6 people having 2 bottles of whisky between them, total 1000 baht divide by 6 = 167 baht each.Another Thai place, large Leo 75 baht,x3 = 225 baht, half bottle of Hong Tong plus ice and mixers 200 baht, total 425 baht + tip for the serving girl, total 500 baht.Yet another Thai place, large Leo 60 baht x6 = 360 baht, large bottle of Blend + ice + mixers 300 baht total 660/2 = 330 baht each.The above are all Thai places with live music and plenty of uni girls.Not so long back myself and a farang friend visited lower Suk, night out cost 4,000 baht for two people, a couple of nights later same friend visited the house, night out for both of us, 800 baht.

PPS

I assume you are speaking central Thai in BK, take a trip to Korat and see how far speaking central Thai gets you, or up to my village in Nan where it's another completely different language.

I regularly am in Issan, you mentioned Korat, I visit PakTong Chai just south of Korat, I then carry onto Surin and Prasat sometimes to Ubon, no problem speaking Central Thai.

No disrespect intended, but I have been here for more than 20 years and I have never met anyone who became fluent in one year. In fact, I only know one Westerner who has become really fluent during the whole time I have lived here. He speaks about 5 languages and has studied Thai every day for more than two decades. However, he got really good in about 5 years. My Thai staff tell me that his Thai is excellent,. but Sabaijai is even better and has been here much longer.

I do know a number of other Westerners who can speak Thai reasonably well, but nowhere close to being really fluent.

I know several who have become near fluent in a year (speaking) and one who became fluent in all aspects in a year. The prior were younger, coming here as mid to late teenagers and the latter is a guy I worked with that studied non stop for a year and completely immersed himself in a Thai village. Not saying its easy or common, but possible for some people under the right circumstances.

No disrespect intended, but I have been here for more than 20 years and I have never met anyone who became fluent in one year. In fact, I only know one Westerner who has become really fluent during the whole time I have lived here. He speaks about 5 languages and has studied Thai every day for more than two decades. However, he got really good in about 5 years. My Thai staff tell me that his Thai is excellent,. but Sabaijai is even better and has been here much longer.

I do know a number of other Westerners who can speak Thai reasonably well, but nowhere close to being really fluent.

I know several who have become near fluent in a year (speaking) and one who became fluent in all aspects in a year. The prior were younger, coming here as mid to late teenagers and the latter is a guy I worked with that studied non stop for a year and completely immersed himself in a Thai village. Not saying its easy or common, but possible for some people under the right circumstances.

I am guessing that your idea of "fluent" is quite different from mine. No one becomes 90% fluent in Thai in one year or anywhere close to it.

So did anyone start out having a lot of difficulty with the tones, but mastering it anyway? I'm asking because certainly there's other like me who is a bit muscially challenged?

Sure, I found the tones very hard at first. I don't get them right all the time now, particularly when I am nervous, but I am getting better. When I speak slowly I now can tell that I get them right. I am certain that I will master them completely. It takes a lot of practice, but anyone can do it, in my opinion. It is extremely helpful to have a Thai person willing to correct your pronunciation. I have made a lot of progress since I switched from classroom study to one-on-one with a teacher committed to correcting me.

If you regard mastering the Thai tones as impossible, you will never get it right. If you consider it to be a hard learning task that will take lots of practice and if you have a good teacher, you can certainly master it.

Edited by CaptHaddock
  • Like 1

Agree tones is the hard part.

Especially learning as we do what class the consonant is,

Is it Live or Dead Final & if it has no final consonant does it have a long or short vowel. etc.

Sheesh just writing it makes me tired smile.png

When I asked my reading,writing teacher about how Thai kids learn she said it never comes up

as they do not learn Thai the way we do.

Which is interesting in a way. Not thinking about tones but learn each word by sound as it is a different word

even if spelled or spoken similarly.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Takes a few months to pick up some basic Thai. Takes probably a couple of years to become good. That to me is the level where the effort is matched by the rewards.

I also took a year's course at Chula university. It was worthwhile to an extent, and has a certain kudos attached to having spent time at the No.1 University and having a certificate saying "Advanced Thai". I enjoy being able to read, and like that I can understand things that are written which automatically helps your language ability. It's also useful for reading text in a business context. After that I can't say there were any earth shattering benefits where becoming very good makes a difference to your life.

I think Thai is probably the least useful language I've learnt. I attained fluency in most other languages I've learnt far quicker, and have pretty much given up bothering to actively improve my Thai. It is what it is and peaked around 2002, before probably getting worse.

When I say least useful, that's because I find a lack of interesting literature, and other outlets for having a proficient knowledge. Many Thais live a simple life, and quite happy with superficial relationships outside their own circles, and that doesn't require an extensive vocabulary to interact with them.

Thailand also places a high value on form (appearance) over substance. As someone who appreciates genuine substance more you realise that isn't built on language ability.

I'd also say that on occasions you can be happier just taking things at face value and not fully understanding how things are. A lot of Thai interaction is based on how people would like things to appear rather than how they actually are. So beware the double edged sword when it comes to understanding how things work. I never really saw this downside in other languages I learnt smile.png

A pleasant and friendly disposition, combined with good Thai and a basic understanding of cultural values is probably the best cost / benefit in my view. For the things that really matter to me in life, I don't see 90% proficiency in Thai as important.

I had a similar experience of learning Thai and would pretty much agree with everything you have posted.

I'm sorry, I forgot to list my benefits.

95% of my friends are Thai, and I continue to make new ones. I never have a boring night unless it was my choice. Hell, I think the downside is that I have gotten fatter, poorer(no, I am not treating everyone) and sleep deprived from going out so much.

Day to day life is much easier.

I get treated very differently because I can speak. This can vary from people opening up and being talkative with me to having people know they can't rip me off anymore.

Being able to speak with my GF in Thai despite her level of proficiency, hell her level of proficiency is a great reason I should be able to read and write as well as she can in English and Italian.

When I lived in the US with my Ex, we could talk about anything in public and have a "private" conversation.

and lastly, it's just fun. Learning is fun to me, being able to communicate with more people is fun, and Thai can just be a fun language.

I don't agree on so many levels.

I find Thais generally dull (actually that is a bit unfair, I find almost everyone dull)

If you are living on a University campus that might not be true, but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, I live on a farm and everyone is as dull as ditch-water (and they don't speak Thai anyway but village Lanna).

If they know you can understand them, they will chat for hours on subjects as interesting as, "my dinner was very spicy, I can drink 2 bottles of rice whiskey without dying", etc., etc.

As for wanting meaningful conversation with your lover ....... my god, how old are you, 12!

When you get to my age you will understand talking with your lover is even more boring than "I can drink 2 bottles ...."

As for people ripping you off, it's not the language you need to know, it's the price of everything you need to know.

Thai's People are dull, no need to communicate.

PS

Nobody in Thailand has a boring evening, unless they are cornered by Thais and generously allowed to pay for everything. To not have a boring night, you just need 500bht (1500 in BK) in your pocket and no Thai 'pals' leeching off you.

PPS

I assume you are speaking central Thai in BK, take a trip to Korat and see how far speaking central Thai gets you, or up to my village in Nan where it's another completely different language.

I pity this comment.

When we get to your age? Please! You're old, so we have to bow to your

do we? I'll tell you what. I'll come and meet you, in person, wherever you are in Thailand and we'll record your spoken Thai. Even your Lao/Korat/Issan/Khmer dialect.

The fact you lump the Isaan and Korat languages together so easily tells me everything I need to know about you and your mindset.

The fact you live in the sticks and get your num sot kwaai (fresh buffalo milk) immediately answers any remaining questions I might have had.

Being a "farang kee nok" in the far north of Thailand is not an accomplishment any human should aspire to. I find all of this post risible and cause for genuine laughter amongst the 20-strong Thai family, currently sitting with me and asking what TV is all about.

You make me wonder about this.Now with the ASEAN thing and all the government talk about Thais must learn English, will we see Thais looking through Thaivisa for practice reading?

In one way i really hope they do not.Very embarrassed for Thais to see how we talk to each other and address many thai issue and problems here, and also the way we talk about thais..this will not do anything good for any inter race relationship if they see how we carry on!

Also the fact be that Thais stick up for each other in a biff...but we..we are the minority group here but still always at each others throat

if the Thai do think we are bunch of fools now what will they think after they pour over some of the things that get said on this sitesad.png

I am guessing that your idea of "fluent" is quite different from mine. No one becomes 90% fluent in Thai in one year or anywhere close to it.

I know people who were 90% fluent in spoken Thai in one year. Many of them missionaries.

I know people who were 90% fluent in spoken Thai in one year. Many of them missionaries.

Yes. Whatever you might think about those guys, you've got to admire the way they learn the language; it shows just how far motivation can get you.

Edited by Zooheekock

Yes. Whatever you might think about those guys, you've got to admire the way they learn the language; it shows just how far motivation can get you.

Yes, it's all about motivation.

• Like 1

Once I broke the code on the tone rules, I asked my teacher (one on one) to just say ผิด at the end of a sentence if I used the wrong tone on any word in the sentence. I had to figure out what tone was wrong and self-correct it. If I made multiple mistakes in one sentence, it was still a single ผิด and I had to continue to work out the problem myself. Of course, when I started reading, I was reading very short sentences, so rarely did I make more than one or two mistakes in a single sentence.

I had to drill the idea in my teacher's head that this was the way I wanted to learn........it was what worked for me when I was learning Chinese moons ago in the Defense Language Institute.

Learning to read Thai took me 1 month
he learned Russian in 6 weeks

What a crock.

Once I broke the code on the tone rules, I asked my teacher (one on one) to just say ผิด at the end of a sentence if I used the wrong tone on any word in the sentence.

I recommend recording and listening to yourself. Brutal, but effective.

Edited by leosmith
  • Like 1

With motivation and talent, it is possible to learn to read out regular Thai words properly in a month if you apply yourself to it full time, 8+ hours per day.

It took me 6 months to have broken the code, but then I was studying general linguistics and other aspects of Thai at the same time, and spending a little too much of my time drinking masala chai and chain smoking. If we had focused exclusively on the reading, 1 month would have been possible.

Of course, even after the stage of having learned regularly spelt words, you still have all the irregular words to tackle. And in advanced texts, there are many.

Rikker Dockum who used to post regularly in this forum was a speed learner, he was chatting away with ease online in written Thai after just one year. So they're around alright.

• 2 weeks later...

With motivation and talent, it is possible to learn to read out regular Thai words properly in a month if you apply yourself to it full time, 8+ hours per day.

It took me 6 months to have broken the code, but then I was studying general linguistics and other aspects of Thai at the same time, and spending a little too much of my time drinking masala chai and chain smoking. If we had focused exclusively on the reading, 1 month would have been possible.

Of course, even after the stage of having learned regularly spelt words, you still have all the irregular words to tackle. And in advanced texts, there are many.

Rikker Dockum who used to post regularly in this forum was a speed learner, he was chatting away with ease online in written Thai after just one year. So they're around alright.

I studied for 60 minutes every day. I used the AUA workbook. I think there were 60 lessons - each one taking 30 minutes.

Edited by Neeranam

Have lived in Isan for three years and learned Laos first. Then proceeded to Thai. I can speak french (canadian) and spanish. It will take me 2 lifetimes to speak at 90% fluency I think (if ever). I do okay though.

I did however meet a guest at a resort who spoke the best Thai I have ever heard from a non native speaker. To the extent that my wife and her two friends (thai) actually turned around to talk to him as they thought he was Thai. Turns out he was from Italy and learned speaking Thai by singing songs all day long. He claimed he learned pitch and tone from listening and signing along with them.

The benefits to reading Thai (if you live here) are tremendous. Driving down the highway, or picking up a newspaper, reading a menu and not having to ask the wife...what's this...every time. For me it has provided some freedom.

One of first times I had used my newly acquired skill was when a Thai neighbor passed a note onto my wife asking for something. I read the note and asked them what time was the delivery expected. The neighbor then realized I had read the note and answered in Thai. We were both amazed. It actually felt really good to have interacted with one of neighbors in a way you would back home in the west.