Diesel Pickup Truck Economy Champion

Gary A

19k for window tint = you got stooged.

For me, 2012 Ford Ranger 2.2 manual, I get 820km range from the 80lt tank.

Actually, top of the range films are very expensive. Lamina have five grades ... The Lumina guy wanted somewhat over 20000 Baht for what I wanted and that was with my wife enquiring ... anyway my dealer got it done and it cost me an extra 8000Baht above what was going to be fitted in the Isuzu package.

The five grades in decending order are....... Special ... Mystery ... Executive ... Geniuse and POP. I had fitted Special L75040 put on the windscreen and L75051 on the sides and rear. Have a look at http://avc-holding.com/au/lamina/main.php?hm=product&op=car&type=film&cate=ss

Okay, been in the new Isuzu 251 days, and have averaged 122km per day.

Insurance: THB 44K

These seem excessive!

My costs 10 years ago.

Purchase price: THB 658K (Total purchase price DMAX 3.0L Automatic)

Insurance: THB 18890 (Class 1 with a reputable company) now just over 9000 Baht. Contrary to some statements I had no worries re newing my Class 1 into the 11th year.

Edited by bdenner

Okay, been in the new Isuzu 251 days, and have averaged 122km per day.

Insurance: THB 44K

These seem excessive!

My costs 10 years ago.

Purchase price: THB 658K (Total purchase price DMAX 3.0L Automatic)

Insurance: THB 18890 (Class 1 with a reputable company) now just over 9000 Baht. Contrary to some statements I had no worries re newing my Class 1 into the 11th year.

Hmm... I got some doubts about the costs of registration (17 K seems overly excessive, considering that a PPV costs only 6 K). Insurance at 44 K clearly is a theft! I got a quote from Axa at 29 K for the PJS. It could be that the higher cost is to take into account the risk of theft of Dmax... Indeed the DMax pickup is one of the most stolen in Thailand.

The price of the film included the windshield, side windows, back window and all the windows on the canopy. I think it was a pretty good price for what I got. They had a glassed-in controlled climate white tile room and the installation was perfect. Last time I got Lamina for 6K and they installed it in a parking lot. I love the 3M film.

As far as the insurance, it's a company car with very high liability. Don't know what to say about the registration.

Where are you driving? Could the auto actually be more efficient than the manual?

I have the Ranger 2.2 XLT/AT and just passed the 15,000km service. The automatic fuel economy calculator is a tad disappointing at 9.2l/100km since it includes several longer distance thrashes between Udon and Bangkok/Pattaya and back but there is a lot of tootling around in Muang Udon's abysmal traffic. I have just reset the calculator so I will see how she fares over the next 15,000km.... and keep a manual record as well!

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

Where are you driving? Could the auto actually be more efficient than the manual?

I have the Ranger 2.2 XLT/AT and just passed the 15,000km service. The automatic fuel economy calculator is a tad disappointing at 9.2l/100km since it includes several longer distance thrashes between Udon and Bangkok/Pattaya and back but there is a lot of tootling around in Muang Udon's abysmal traffic. I have just reset the calculator so I will see how she fares over the next 15,000km.... and keep a manual record as well!

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

I usually get about 8.9lt/100km around Chiang Mai. That's a mixture of rural roads & superhighway, not much city centre, but lots of slowing & accelerating. On a longer run to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai, over the hills, but keeping a decent speed, I think I got 7.7lt/100km. Same truck as NanLaew. I do tend to be a bit heavy footed.

I usually get about 8.9lt/100km around Chiang Mai. That's a mixture of rural roads & superhighway, not much city centre, but lots of slowing & accelerating. On a longer run to Mae Sai from Chiang Mai, over the hills, but keeping a decent speed, I think I got 7.7lt/100km. Same truck as NanLaew. I do tend to be a bit heavy footed.

I am a fossil so just did a conversion and I am getting almost 31 mpg which ain't at all bad. Much better than the 13 mpg that my lovely Dodge Ram 'Sports Lorry' used to get! But that was when gas was a buck a gallon.

Edited by NanLaew

I just made a longer trip last week (Ranger 2.2L XLT 4 dr) that included Doi Inthanon and Golden Triangle loop,so mostly 'hilly' roads...

On the way up to Doi Inthanon with 4 people and travel luggage, the fuel consumption (can't call it economy here) was staggering 14.9 L/100km !!...but that ALL UP the hill smile.png ...average including way down(mostly low gear on manual setting) was 9.2L/100km=10.87km/L.

The way from Chiang Rai to CM (including hills) was better at 7.2L/100km=13.89km/L....that's more like it (of course those readings are from on-board computer)...I'm pretty happy with the truck,no issues whatsoever...only sometimes can't see over the 'nose' on those steep descends biggrin.png

Edited by funcat

I took up the Isuzu insurance offer with my V-Cross.... it was about 17000THB. But been a 4-Door the tax was around 8000THB

Road Tax 6800 bht

Thank you Mr Eagle Eye ... you are correct ... my wife just confirmed it. wink.png ... I knew that there was an 8 in it ... just forgot the 6!

Edited by JAS21

Just had a look at my fuel consumption since I reset the calculator prior to my recent road trip from Udon to Bangkok, on to Pattaya and back to Udon via the 'back road'. It shows 7.8lt/100km versus the 9.2lt/100km logged over the first 15,000 km. Maybe the 15,000 km service and de-coke made the difference. I will admit that I was driving about 100-105 kph tops versus my more usual 110-120 kph (with the odd 140 kph bursts).

I posted this link previously on another thread, but incase you haven't seen it, its a website called Fuelly and users all over the world input their recorded mileage & fuel consumption etc. It keeps a track on how much your spending on fuel and allows you to compare with other drivers of similar cars. I find it really useful, take a look and try it out if you have time: http://www.fuelly.com

Edited by Ungabunga

I took up the Isuzu insurance offer with my V-Cross.... it was about 17000THB. But been a 4-Door the tax was around 8000THB

Road Tax 6800 bht

Thank you Mr Eagle Eye ... you are correct ... my wife just confirmed it. wink.png ... I knew that there was an 8 in it ... just forgot the 6!

Mine has just reached 5 year old and so was reduced to 6100 bht. thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

Anybody have any mpg or kpl stats for small cars like the Honda Jazz?

I'd be interested in the price comparison between a diesel truck (where diesel is only 30baht/liter) verse a more fuel efficient small car (that requires the more expensive gasohol 91).

Any numbers?

Anybody have any mpg or kpl stats for small cars like the Honda Jazz?

I'd be interested in the price comparison between a diesel truck (where diesel is only 30baht/liter) verse a more fuel efficient small car (that requires the more expensive gasohol 91).

Any numbers?

Yup, 2 of my 3 cars are newish B segment. Both cars are AT. The best MPG is from the Honda City. On long distance driving, it can get 17.2-17.5 kpl. On mixed city/distance, around 15-17. I think that is great. On the other hand, the Mazda 2 is nowhere near as good, but I suppose that might be due to the 4 speed auto tranny also. I won't tell you what my S Class gets. sad.png

Went to Hua Hin this week from Phetchabun and the D4D 3L pickup DC auto (non prerunner) computer said 14.3kmL. Drove steady, no faster than 110kmph, lots of nutters about on Highway 35 & 4, best to keep out of their way.

Went to Hua Hin this week from Phetchabun and the D4D 3L pickup DC auto (non prerunner) computer said 14.3kmL. Drove steady, no faster than 110kmph, lots of nutters about on Highway 35 & 4, best to keep out of their way.

Curious to know what was the driving time and how many kilometers was your trip?

Edited by thailoht