Thai Language Course For Foreigners In Ramkhamhaeng University?

pazu

Thai language course for foreigners in Ramkhamhaeng University?

I'm studying Thai by myself but I would like to have a better education from a proper and affordable institutions, two of my friends (Thai) studied in the Ramkhamhaeng University and they told me it was a good start. So I would like to know if they have any programs for FOREIGNERS to learn Thai language and culture? Like a diploma course instead of a Bachelor of Arts course.

Do you have any detail (like the course schedule, fee, etc)?

Any information are most welcome!

Thanks very much!

Thai language course for foreigners in Ramkhamhaeng University?

I'm studying Thai by myself but I would like to have a better education from a proper and affordable institutions, two of my friends (Thai) studied in the Ramkhamhaeng University and they told me it was a good start. So I would like to know if they have any programs for FOREIGNERS to learn Thai language and culture? Like a diploma course instead of a Bachelor of Arts course.

Do you have any detail (like the course schedule, fee, etc)?

Any information are most welcome!

Thanks very much!

Just do as I'm doing now: I'm learning with a Thai student who is learning french, so we can have french-thai conversation. I've been to some school before, and this student is even better than any "official" (this is Thailand...) teacher I had before!

How to find her? Just put advertising in the building where you know people learning your language usually go.

I now regret the $$$ I spend before at school.

Just do as I'm doing now: I'm learning with a Thai student who is learning french, so we can have french-thai conversation. I've been to some school before, and this student is even better than any "official" (this is Thailand...) teacher I had before!

It depends on what you want to get out of it... if you want to learn conversational Thai, then that is fine... but not all Thai you learn is the same, just as not all English you learn is the same or all French is the same. For example, academic written English is different to what you would use if you were holding a conversation with a close friend, a colleague at work, writing a letter to your mother or an email to a client. English is spoken and written differently in the States, the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Here's the University's website: http://www.ru.ac.th/english/index.html

Ramkamhaeng does have a Thai program, and being an open Uni., it is cheap. Not as good as Chula. but I prefer the students. Many of the students come from the poorer, rural areas of Thailand. I used to work there about 9 years ago and it is great working there(or studying), for a foreigner ;-).

That baldy, gay guy on the telly went there - and his Thai is passable.

It's very hard to learn Thai by yourself.

Don't do what many guys do and look for a Thai teacher that can speak Engish. This is not good - find one that can't or won't speak any. Many Thai teachers think they can teach Thai to foriegners on the basis of their English ability - many are wrong.

ผมก็มีเพี่อนเยอะแยะเป็นคนไทย(เพราะฉะนั้นผมอยากเรียนไทย) และผมก็เคยเรียนภาษาไทยจากพวกเค้า(ประมาญ๖เดือน) แต่เค้าไม่ไช่อาจารย์ สอนผมง่ายๆได้ แต่ไม่คอยมีระเบียบ ด้อนนี้ผมพูดได้และเขียนได้ แต่ผมก็รู้ว่าผมพูด(เขียน)ภาษาไทยแปลกมากๆ คนไทยอ่านแล้วก็รู้ว่าผมไม่ไช่คนไทย ผมถ้ามเพื่อนผมว่าผมพูด(เขียน)พิดที่ไหน เค้าก็ขี้เกียจสอนผมอีกแล้ว ผมคิดว่าอาจจะเรียนที่มหาวิทยาลัยดีก่าว ถ้ามีประกาศนียบัตรก็ดูดี,๕๕,,, แต่จุฬาลงกรณ์มหาวิทยาลัยแพงนิดหน้อย เรียนที่รามคำแหง เพื่อนผมบอกว่า Andrew Beckก็เรียนภาษาไทยที่รามคำแหง

คุณNeeranam อ่ยากทราบว่า หลักสูตรภาษาไทยที่รามคำแหง เป็นหลักสูตรที่สำหรับคนไทยหรือเป่ลา ถ้าให้คนไทยเรียนเท่านั้นผมกลัวว่าอาจจะยากเกินไปแล้ว ที่รามคำแหงมี่หลักสูตรที่ให้คนต่างชาติไหมครับ

Your writing is okay... too many 1st person and 3rd persons though. You don't need that many. And I can understand why your friends would say your writing is weird, because you don't write the way a Thai person would... it's a little hard for me to explain. Your spelling mistakes aren't the typical mistakes a Thai person would make, either. Having said that, I'm not exactly perfect myself!

Not that Pazu asked for a critique of his Thai ability - but I'll make a couple of comments anyway. Pazu, I think you're writing is generally quite good. The spelling mistakes are not important and can be overcome with practice. There are a few things that I think would improve your writing immensely. First, in my view your writing is too informal. There are some words that you use that can easily be replaced by words of similar meaning that are more appropriate for written communication. This will make the sound of your written Thai much better. Also, you are currently lacking words which are commonly used to join sentences and ideas into a smooth and easy to read passages. These words are easy to learn and when you know how to use them, will give a greater depth to your writing and will make it flow. Thirdly, your some of your grammar is awkward and unnatural. Again, with practice and a proper teacher, this can easily be overcome. However, this is very good if you have only been learning for 6 months.

My suggestion is that you find a good teacher with a structured program, forget what you have learned from your friends, and keep practising.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by Bobcat

Hi,

My name is nont. I am very keen in learning verbal Enlish.

If you are an English native speker and would like me to be one of your

languageexchange partner; english<>thai. I can help you both written and varbal communication.

Pls write directly to me thru [email protected]

I live in Bkk behide Ramkamheang Uni. where you want to start studying eng lesson.

Let's LanguageExchange now!!

nont,

If you're writing on a board like this Bobcat... does written language still have to be as formal and correct? And yes, you are right - he did not ask us for a critique of his writing ability, but he did comment on it and I thought it might be useful to write a couple of things.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on what you want to get out of it... if you want to learn conversational Thai, then that is fine... but not all Thai you learn is the same, just as not all English you learn is the same or all French is the same. For example, academic written English is different to what you would use if you were holding a conversation with a close friend, a colleague at work, writing a letter to your mother or an email to a client. English is spoken and written differently in the States, the UK, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Learning in a group really sounds stupid to me (when will you have time to speak?). Kind of thai habit...

I'm now learning how to write with my language partner and it's just perfext.

But people can go and waste their money at Chula if they want!

Learning in a group really sounds stupid to me (when will you have time to speak?). Kind of thai habit...

I'm now learning how to write with my language partner and it's just perfext.

But people can go and waste their money at Chula if they want!

With a response like that, it is clear you did not read a word of what I wrote. The OP wants to further his language skills, and is not a beginner like yourself. You know nothing of the content nor delivery of the suggested courses. Furthermore, since the OP is already in Thailand, and has Thai friends he has plenty of opportunity for conversational practice. Oh, wait... forgot that you don't read Thai sufficiently enough to read what the OP wrote. Or English for that matter, since the OP mentions he has 2 Thai friends in the second sentence.

My ___ is bigger than yours!!

Chula's certainly not a waste off $$ .. just way more commitment than most people will put into a language school!

As for learning in a group ... if you have a few hours a day to put into it, you'll get a lot out of it! In a group setting with a formalized class structure you will learn things in a way that even if at first you don't know why they do it that way it all becomes clear! Not to mention that you hear a variety of people speaking and you get to practice actually listening without having to think about what your response will be. Listening to other people speak helps in so many ways! You hear people speaking correctly ... and you hear them making the same mistakes you make.

That being said ... anyone that thinks they know what is best for a stranger's best way tto learn ... well ... Remember ... some people are good in classrooms etc. Some are not.

• 3 weeks later...
Ramkamhaeng does have a Thai program, and being an open Uni., it is cheap. Not as good as Chula. but I prefer the students. Many of the students come from the poorer, rural areas of Thailand. I used to work there about 9 years ago and it is great working there(or studying), for a foreigner ;-).

Does anybody have a phone number of the Thai Language dep. at Ramkhamhaeng. The one I found was out of order :o

It is an ideal place for me to learn Thai as I work in the neighbourhood....

Edited by frumau

• 3 weeks later...

pazu , i think your writing ability is pretty good , your grammar and spelling may not be perfect but you got your message across , you made yourself understood , and that is the main point about learning a foriegn language , to be able to make your point.

i wouldnt worry too much about perfection , that will come with time (a long time) and practice.

why exactly do you want to be able to write in thai , is it just as an extension to reading , or do you need written skills for any particular purpose ?

สวัสดีชาวโลก ขอโทษที่ผมนานแล้วไม่ตอบมา

ผมอยากให้ทุกท่านทราบว่า ผมตัดสินแล้วว่าผมไม่เรียนที่รามคำแหงแล้วนะครับ

ก็ไม่ไช่เพราะว่าผมไม่อยากเรียนอีก และก็ไม่ไช่ผมขี้เกียจเรียนรู้ภาษาไทยให้ดีขื้น แต่ผมกำลังมีธุระอื่นๆ จะต้องใช้เวลามากกว่าก่อน ผมตอนนี้ยังเรียนกับเพื่อนเท่านั้น ผมจะพยายามเรียนให้ดีๆ ขอบคุณมากครับ

และก็ผมอยากขอบคุณ คุณskylar กับ คุณBobcat ที่ให้ความรู้เรื่องของภาษาไทย พูดจริงๆว่าผมมาที่นี่ถามท่านเรื่องเกี่ยวกับภาษาไทย ก็เพราะว่าภาษาไทยของผมยังไม่ดี ถ้าคุณมีเวลาว่างก็สอนผมให้หน่อยนะครับ

คุณ taxexile ผมเรียนภาษาไทยเพราะว่าผมคิดว่าตัวอักษรของภาษาไทยน่าสนใจมาก และทำให้ผมรู้สึกประทับใจครับ ไม่มีความประสงค์พิเศษ เพราะฉะนั้น ผมเรียนอะไรก็ได้ แต่อยากเขียนตัวอักษรไทยเท่านั้นครับ

I am looking to sign up for a thai language course too. THe details on the RU website are out of date and even the email to webmaster doesnt work.

anyone have other suggestions?

I have a Thai friend who is a Teacher. Her Name is Salisa and her courses are in Ploenchit area.

Link here for her Email:Thai Language Course.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got in touch with the people in the Arts Dept in Chula.

I sat the exam for Basic 2 which meant that if I passed I could do Basic 3.

However, it was a tough ask. It was all in thai script. COmpletely. and that meant the answers had to be written in Thai too!!! Ohhhooooooo

ANyway, after about 5 hours i fell out of the exams exhausted.... there were 3 exams.

It certainly was INTENSIVE THAI and was all very serious - actually just what i was looking for...... but unfortunatley i only got 42% and u need 60% to pass!!!

So now I will have to wait till August to do Basic 2 but i dont want to wait that long.....

Anyone have any other ideas of serious THai classes that are starting around now??????

ANyone ever get info from Ramkhamhaeng?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah... any information on Ramkhamhaeng's Thai Language course anyone? I'm thinking that learning to speak Thai may be sufficient for me. not neccessarily writing them, but - I've a big problem with private Thai lang. teacher. Yikes.

I don't think I'd gained much from private tuition at all.

Well I got in touch with the people in the Arts Dept in Chula.

How does someone contact them when out of the country? I've tried, and no one has returned my emails.

I wish you luck with that. The only school I have had a positive experience with returning emails was Mahidol (MUIC Salaya). In fact that was the reason I signed with them for the year rather than with Thammasat. Although, I will be at Thammasat during the summer.

As for how a person should study, the best path to learn thai can be as different as a Thai woman is from a American woman.

For me I had to find a structured program. I tried to study basic books on my own and ask friends questions, but failed miserably. I am not a language learner, it's like pulling teeth. I returned to the U.S. to study at University of Hawaii Manoa, then after 9 months of structure, grammar and some speaking I am hiring a private tutor in Thailand (Paeng) 3,500 U.S. for the year. Besides that I moved into Sathorn near my friends and family who for the most part only speak Thai and Isaan. The one thing I have to watch out for is not using the Isaan I learn in Thai class. I've been yelled at for sounding Isaan.

I am going to check out the AUA courses for a supplement, as I understand most of the written structure and can read and write a little with gradual improvement. Where I need help is in general conversation structure and vocabulary. What you learn in formal class and the common usage in daily life are so very different from each other. Just as Pazu does, I use (Pom) far to often. I always tend to shift the thai into english structures. I guess when I speak Thai to a Thai it's similar the way a bargirl speaks english to a customer.

Best of luck, keep it up and you'll find your way...... once you get past the first level and things start to make sense and you can read and write the signs and get the idea from articles you will be hooked and look forward to each new step. Another thing, don't let the fact that some Thai's don't seem to understand you bother you. Often they are just suprised because they are expecting anything but Thai, secondly foreign accents and failure to effectively use tone can also create confusion.

Side note: For any Kon Thai, I would like to meet some cool Thai's to practice Thai and English with. You help me with my Thai and I will help you with english. We can just hang out and have fun while we talk.

Aaron

Edited by falang74

• 2 weeks later...

I will try and run by Chula and get an updated e-mail again for folks on here... I took 2+ of the classes there before busting out .... (I lived way out in Prawet and the commute killed me

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I looked at the Ramkhamhaeng University Institute of Language website but it wasn't too informative The "Thai for Foreigners" webpage is in Thai (of course) so translation is required.

Follow the URL at this website:

http://www.ru.ac.th/language_conference200..._langauges.html

This "Thai for Foreigners" course is not a full time program but only a short 20 hour course for beginners. It covers basic reading, writing and conversation concentrating on everyday situations like, greetings, buying Thai food, using public transportation, telling time and checking in and out of accommodations. In other words, survival Thai.

It may be good for the beginner but would be of little use to someone with a more advanced knowledge of Thai. It may be fun to attend however and will give students the chance to talk to the instructors about whether or not a more advanced program exists.

The cost is 4000 baht for the 20 hours. Applications are being accepted in room number 1 of the Sukhothai building Tuesday 5 January 2010.

The course is 2 hours an evening from 1800 to 2000 (6pm to 8pm) from Wednesday the 6th through Sunday the 10th of January 2010

They give as contact info:

Ramkhamhaeng Institute of Languages (RIL)

4th floor room 408 of the Sukhothai building

Hua Mark, Bangkapi, Krungthep 10240

Tel: 02-3108903, 02-3108904

There is a downloadable PDF application form HERE

E-mail: [email protected]

Edit: It just dawned on me that 2 hours a day for 5 days is only 10 hours, but that's what the website says. Probably best to give them a call to get the facts straight.

Edited by Groongthep