Is Tylenol Medicine For Pain Dangerous?

Sandman77

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

Hello !

Come now to bk hospital after a dog running into my bike, the doctor give me a medicine called Tylenol!

On above link I read that this medicine 2 times banned in the use because people died last time in 2010 2 year ago also in bk hospital give me also something wrong pain medicine and blood pressure go up to 190 any ideas and more information about Tylenol?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Paracetamol seems generally to be safe in small doses....less than 8 tablets a day but has been reported as having a sharp cuttoff between safe dose and very dangerous with about 20 tablets a day. It seems to cause liver damage and for some time was a favorite with teenage girls with cry for help suicide attempts which often caused severe liver damage.

In general a useful and safe medicine used correctly but dangerous if misused.

• Like 1

It is sold over the counter in every country I know of, including the US and Europe, and generally viewed as safer than aspirin. Overdosage or prolonged daily use can, however, lead to kidney or liver damage, and it should not be taken by anyone with renal or hepatic disease except in consultation with a doctor. For otherwise healthy people, used only occasionally and in recommended doses, there is unlikely to be a problem.

AFAIK it has never been banned but was recalled for tampering reasons and contamination (people did die but not due to the medicine). It is now in the forefront of tamper proof packaging. A check of the web site shows that to be what was reported - not a ban of medicine at all.

• Like 1

from Wikepedia.

While generally safe for use at recommended doses (1,000 mg per single dose and up to 4,000 mg per day for adults),[6] acute overdoses of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage and, in rare individuals, a normal dose can do the same; the risk may be heightened by chronic alcohol abuse, though it is lessened by contemporary alcohol consumption. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.[7][8][9][10]

Hardly completely safe though. It is a great medicine but deserves respect.

Paracetamol and Tylenol are both over the counter names for Acetaminophen. Large overdoses can cause acute irreversable liver failure if not treated quickly. Never take more than take more than 4000mg per day and be especially careful if you consume large quantities of alcohol. Acetaminphen toxicity is one of the most common causes of poisoning worldwide. In the United States it is the most common cause of acute liver failure.

Paracetamol seems generally to be safe in small doses....less than 8 tablets a day but has been reported as having a sharp cuttoff between safe dose and very dangerous with about 20 tablets a day. It seems to cause liver damage and for some time was a favorite with teenage girls with cry for help suicide attempts which often caused severe liver damage.

Surely a failed suicide dose would only cause a temporary liver shutdown at worst?... Perhaps it could cause cholestasis of the liver, which is not actually damage to the liver, but merely a temporary interference of liver function caused by some drugs. I have experienced a very mild liver reaction (increased bilirubin leading to pruritus) from tylenol and therefore don't use it. I get itchy at only very minor elevations of bilirubin, long before I turn yellow (jaundice).

Actually overdopsage can cause long lasting or even permanent liver damage, in excessive doses the drug is very toxic to both liver and kidneys. (But good margin of safety when used at recommended dosages)

Well obviously drug induced cholestasis is a toxic reaction. My point was that drug induced cholestasis is normally a temporary affliction. How does a single overdose of Tylenol cause permanent damage to the liver?

I'm aware that severe cholestasis can take quite awhile to overcome. I had a bout of it myself and was in quite a bad way for several months.

Edited by tropo

cholestatsis isindeed temporary but it is not the same thing as hepatoxicity.

Cholestasis is not always temporary - it can be permanent. Drug induced cholestasis is usually reversible when the drug is discontinued, but that could depend on how long the drug has been used.

What exactly is "hepatoxicity" then? You would think that if a drug interferes with the liver's function it is hepa-toxic.

Long term usage (say six months daily use) even at amounts under the supposed safe amount of 4000 milligrams per day can cause abnormal liver tests even in people who don't drink. I was told to take this for pain by my surgeon after I was weaned off narcotic pain medicine for a spinal fusion. I was taking only about 3000 mg daily, didn't drink but it made my liver tests quite high. Later when I was referred to a pain dr he said many drs are so phobic of narcotics they suggest Tylenol to their patients and my reaction was quite common with longer usuage. After he put me back on narcotics without Tylenol the liver values went back to normal. If I take it for two weeks (in cold medicine, other rx medication) they start to rise again.

Long term usage (say six months daily use) even at amounts under the supposed safe amount of 4000 milligrams per day can cause abnormal liver tests even in people who don't drink. I was told to take this for pain by my surgeon after I was weaned off narcotic pain medicine for a spinal fusion. I was taking only about 3000 mg daily, didn't drink but it made my liver tests quite high. Later when I was referred to a pain dr he said many drs are so phobic of narcotics they suggest Tylenol to their patients and my reaction was quite common with longer usuage. After he put me back on narcotics without Tylenol the liver values went back to normal. If I take it for two weeks (in cold medicine, other rx medication) they start to rise again.

I was curious as to what liver values increased? ALP, AST, ALT, bilirubin?... or all 4?

I noticed a significant increase in bilirubin after a few days of use and low dose... enough to start me itching.

Actually overdopsage can cause long lasting or even permanent liver damage, in excessive doses the drug is very toxic to both liver and kidneys. (But good margin of safety when used at recommended dosages)

Sheyl, I respect your many accurate comments on medical matters. Please continue with this help.

I, unfortunatly take a daily dose of up to 4000mg of Paracetamol and have done so for the last five years. I do also have a regular beer or three but I go to the Regional Hospital for liver function tests every 6 months or so. All OK so far at age 82. I prefer this regieme rather than the Oxycodone that was once prescribed.

Incidentally I find that Makro has paracetomal at a good price. [Not advertising, just suggesting]

Surely a failed suicide dose would only cause a temporary liver shutdown at worst?... Perhaps it could cause cholestasis of the liver, which is not actually damage to the liver, but merely a temporary interference of liver function caused by some drugs. I have experienced a very mild liver reaction (increased bilirubin leading to pruritus) from tylenol and therefore don't use it. I get itchy at only very minor elevations of bilirubin, long before I turn yellow (jaundice).

Not long ago I saw a list of ten drugs to avoid when planning to commit suicide. Paracetamol topped it. The liver gets damaged beyond repair by a overdose, and it takes up to three weeks in perfect agony before death occurs. Best painkiller ever invented, though. Mix with other analgesics if the recommended dose isn't enough. Tramadol, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac, ethanol.

I am long time sufferer with back problems, compliments of 28 yr career in a very physical occupation. My Dr years ago in the States advised for long term use, stick to Sodium Naproxyn, (Aleve in the States) but also available in Th. You won't see it advertised, or offered by pharmacies or Dr.s because it cost more than Tylenol.Sodium Naproxyn is equally good at knumbing pain, but the safest on Liver and kidneys. You would probably have to ask for it,, again due to cost, hence stocking on shelf for the ocassional farang that would be willing to pay for it, not worth it to the pharmacist. I have been using it regularly for 20 yrs, 6 of them here in Th. I have to order it thru the local shop, which is not a big prob.

Sodium Naproxyn is equally good at knumbing pain, but the safest on Liver and kidneys. You would probably have to ask for it,, again due to cost, hence stocking on shelf for the ocassional farang that would be willing to pay for it, not worth it to the pharmacist.

Naproxyn has been linked to increases in the number of serious and potentially fatal cardiovascular events. However, a 2011 report published in the British Medical Journal states, of all NSAIDs evaluated, naproxen was associated with the smallest overall cardiovascular problem.

Having said that, Naproxyn is widely available (in Chiang Mai anyway) and at Cirus 10x20 mg capsules (Thai brand) only cost 35 Baht.

here paracetamol is used for fever and colds type ailments, (tylenol in the states, acamol in israel, para in thailand)... and ibrufen (advil, nurefen...) for muscle and tooth ache

naxene and related for mestrual cramps and back pain and join pain.

and obviously depends on if u have sensitivities, taking other meds, stomach ulcers, blood problems or liver/kidney function problems. one other drug that is used in israel for migrain, headache, fever and muscle pain is dyprone, (optalgin) which i heard is banned in the states.; ive been here for 30 years and never used (used it on goats and dogs howver as very effective and non problematic for them) but israelis use it like thais use paracetamol...

also used as horrible bitter drops for baby fever reducer rather then nurefen or paracetamol...

use of meds seems culturally related also... what is preferred

thai husband will only use thai paracetamol and thinks anything else is inaffective or poison.. go figure.

bina

I was curious as to what liver values increased? ALP, AST, ALT, bilirubin?... or all 4?

I noticed a significant increase in bilirubin after a few days of use and low dose... enough to start me itching.

30 years working in the ER in the US, I've seen many( 20+) horrible Tylenol overdoses. Unless treated quickly and aggressively it leads to irreversible, fatal liver damage with the only recourse being an emergent liver transplant(Not always available). In most of the cases the tragedy was the victim was not really trying to kill themselves but was making what is known as a "suicide gesture." Usually a teenage or pre teen, angry or sad picks a permanent solution to a temporary problem. They see that big bottle of Tylenol and because it is over the counter available assume it's not that dangerous and swallow several fists full of pills in an attention getting move. Nothing happens right away but the clock is ticking. Liver damage occurs quickly and once they turn yellow(jaundice) it is often too late. The antidote is readily available and anyone who has worked even a short period of time in ER will know the smell of Mucomyst which must be given in large doses, often force ably(Big tube shoved down nose) repeated several times over many hours until the serum level becomes sub toxic. To Tropo, I'm not sure what you mean by noticing increased bilirubin after taking paracetamol or acetaminophen, but if you are judging this by yellowing of your skin or eyes I would suggest you stop taking these drugs immediately.