Living In Thailand On A 49,000Baht/mo Budget. Questions.

Rambling Man

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I throw this one in.

I see a lot of posts on living here on XXXXXX a month from people who are in their 20's/30's, great fun and enjoyable. Been there, seen that, done that.

Why do I never see anyone asking questions on the line of, Do you or any of your friends save any money in a good private pension scheme for your old age?

Believe me it feels like you went to bed one night in your 30's and woke up the next day in your 60's. ( Time flies, you can't, they pass too quickly) sorry.

Interested to know how many of you have made plans on those lines. Seems unimportant when you're younger but it sure is worth it. Believe me.

• Like 1

Having already gone to the expense of building a place upcountry, I could easily live there on 10k a month including household bills, food and Thai whisky at 120 baht a bottle!

Renting a place could be as little as 2k a month, depends on where and what you want. My Thai is poor, I don't gamble but I enjoy the mountains, waterfalls, fishing and generally chilling. I do download lots of movies and TV series to watch of an evening and I have a couple of dogs and a rai of land to potter about on.

Simple needs?

The High So's will be along shortly to tell you that you are up for Cheap Charlie of the year and that you shouldn't be living in Thailand if your not bringing in at least Half a million Baht a month to live on. It's ok because we don't take any notice of them either !

whistling.gif Regarding "online work".

Yes it can be and probably is being done now.

However, the Thai work laws were not made for that, as they never expected such a thing years ago when the work laws were written.

You can work on-line but NOT legally without a work permit.

That's why you keep it very quiet about those "games" you play every day on-line.

You're NOT working, you're playing games.

The definition of "working in Thailand" that the Thai tax people like is "any work activity, whether you get compensation or not for this activity, is considered work".

And for any "work activity" you need a work permit and your income is taxable in Thailand.

For practical purposes it probably isn't worth the tax people's time to bother you because the tax rate is low anyhow,

But, all it would take is one Thai who wants to harass you and report you as working illegally, and you're in trouble.

Just be warned.

Yes, you're budget is possible, but you'll need to make some compromises, You'll learn them however.

The one big thing is to avoid the bars and especially the bargirls.

It;s not that you can't, but you'll soon learn that much of the money you could have spent on other things will end up buying booze and "companionship" in those bars if you let it.

Unless you really need it I would stick with a one room apartment and not a rented house.

If you're in Bangkok, learn to eat Thai food and take BUSES around Bangkok not taxis.

The non air-conditioned buses are not fun, but they are the cheapest way to get around Bangkok.... they can be a hassle however

It will just take you a little while to learn how to compromise between what you want to do and what you can afford to do.

There are 7 people living in my family in this house, and we get by reasonably well on 50K Baht monthly. (3 of them have jobs and contribute to the family monthly expenses).

In my case however, my Thai girl friend owns the house ... so we don't pay rent to a landlord.

Rent is a big expense .... watch the cost of that.

whistling.gif

For those without insurance. Yes, paying for a runny nose is cheap out of pocket, but what about a car crash and a week in intensive care maybe with an operation? That will run you into the hundreds of thousands of baht. I sure hope you have that money lying around.

I don't think I can reasonably get real health insurance in LOS due to my age. It's one of the oft unmentioned things about the cost of living in LOS vs the West. I have full coverage Medicare Advantage in the US for $125 a month, but it's no good when living in LOS.

For those without insurance. Yes, paying for a runny nose is cheap out of pocket, but what about a car crash and a week in intensive care maybe with an operation? That will run you into the hundreds of thousands of baht. I sure hope you have that money lying around.

I don't think I can reasonably get real health insurance in LOS due to my age. It's one of the oft unmentioned things about the cost of living in LOS vs the West. I have full coverage Medicare Advantage in the US for $125 a month, but it's no good when living in LOS.

------------

I know what you mean there,

I am retired and supposed to get medicare/medicaid from Social Security.

Just got my annual notice.

I'm am getting a 1.3 percent increase in 2013 in my Social Security benefits,

At the same time my medicare/medicaid contribution was increased to $115 monthly.

Net result ... I lost $15 a month in Social Security benefits to pay for so-called health benefits I can't use here in Thailand.

Whatever,

If you eat local noodle and food on street you go under 100baht each meal as many down and outer farang do here.After some time i think you will want to buy your own choice at supermarket but still cheap. of course farang food always expensive here and farang owned pub and hotel want ridiculous amount for food and beer.best to avoid for this and many other reason towai2.gif

What a silly comment. My lunch costs me 40 baht every day. If I wanted to pay more I would have to drive into town just for the pleasure. The only sort of people that would worry about being perceived as a down and out because they eat cheap meals are those that want to give the impression they have more money than they actually do. If your post is serious, you are quite sad.

To the OP. Re. online work, I would follow others' advice and don't broadcast what you are doing. However, contrary to what another person said about a Thai person dobbing you in, I think it's more likely that some bitter foreigner would cause trouble for you. From my experience, Thai people couldn't care less what you do in the privacy of your own home.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

Having already gone to the expense of building a place upcountry, I could easily live there on 10k a month including household bills, food and Thai whisky at 120 baht a bottle!

Renting a place could be as little as 2k a month, depends on where and what you want. My Thai is poor, I don't gamble but I enjoy the mountains, waterfalls, fishing and generally chilling. I do download lots of movies and TV series to watch of an evening and I have a couple of dogs and a rai of land to potter about on.

Simple needs?

The High So's will be along shortly to tell you that you are up for Cheap Charlie of the year and that you shouldn't be living in Thailand if your not bringing in at least Half a million Baht a month to live on. It's ok because we don't take any notice of them either !

wish this was on pattayalive,hi-so Alex would have a field day,tell u to go back home and die there lol

If you eat local noodle and food on street you go under 100baht each meal as many down and outer farang do here.After some time i think you will want to buy your own choice at supermarket but still cheap. of course farang food always expensive here and farang owned pub and hotel want ridiculous amount for food and beer.best to avoid for this and many other reason towai2.gif

What a silly comment. My lunch costs me 40 baht every day. If I wanted to pay more I would have to drive into town just for the pleasure. The only sort of people that would worry about being perceived as a down and out because they eat cheap meals are those that want to give the impression they have more money than they actually do. If your post is serious, you are quite sad.

To the OP. Re. online work, I would follow others' advice and don't broadcast what you are doing. However, contrary to what another person said about a Thai person dobbing you in, I think it's more likely that some bitter foreigner would cause trouble for you. From my experience, Thai people couldn't care less what you do in the privacy of your own home.

I won't talk about the village I live in cos it's so cheap you wouldn't be interested.

But in CM,

a blowout curry with rice at Sausage King 99bht (or full English breakfast)

Chicken with basil and rice (grapow) 35bht

Chicken with noodles and bean sprouts (Pat Thai) 30bht

Add another 20bht for a drink, or 50bht for a beer.

I don't consider myself a down and out, but apart from SK I do mainly eat as the Thais do in Thai places.

I won't talk about the village I live in cos it's so cheap you wouldn't be interested.

But in CM,

a blowout curry with rice at Sausage King 99bht (or full English breakfast)

Chicken with basil and rice (grapow) 35bht

Chicken with noodles and bean sprouts (Pat Thai) 30bht

Add another 20bht for a drink, or 50bht for a beer.

I don't consider myself a down and out, but apart from SK I do mainly eat as the Thais do in Thai places.

I didnt mean to say you are down and out because you eat the cheap food, I do it to, because that food is a nice change sometimes, of course most of us do that at sometimes.

My point that some do live here on a shoestring budget and have no choice but to search for the cheapest. I even known one farang that goes to a temple that has food for 20 baht, says its not the money, is that they make it better and he like to support them.

Feel sorry for people like this but really i think they must of mismanaged life if they want to live here but must live like that.

Plenty of poor Thai here already, they dont need the farang who thai government probably will end up having to support when they go into bad health.

Khun Jean has it right

The money is not a problem if you are content to lead simple life style

The problem is the country does not want young people like you to stay for long periods.

An education visa to learn Thai will buy you a year, but you do need to attend classes,

On the other side that will help you with the basics of life.

After that it becomes much more difficult.

You need to read through the Visa Forum and see just what is involved

Feel sorry for people like this but really i think they must of mismanaged life if they want to live here but must live like that.

Plenty of poor Thai here already, they dont need the farang who thai government probably will end up having to support when they go into bad health.

Thai government won't support anyone especially not a broke farang...

Edited by astral
No need for long quotes, please edit or use the Reply button

I live on that easy up country,and can save

If you are living off investments, you need to save some of your income, to negate the effect of inflation. Unless your income comes from growth assets, and most retired expats seem not to have income from growth assets, for some reason.

Ok so what does happen if a farang get admitted to the hospital unconscious, then get treated and hospital find he have no money..blood out of a rock?

Ok so what does happen if a farang get admitted to the hospital unconscious, then get treated and hospital find he have no money..blood out of a rock?

That depends on if the rock is still alive.

• Like 1

Health care for seniors in LOS is the elephant in the room. No one seems to want to see it or acknowledge it. At my age I can't get it, and it could ruin me. If I was healthy enough to travel, I'd have to go packing back to the States where I have full coverage Medicare Advantage for $125 a month. It is a gamble for sure.

I just had a very good exchange with a mod on here about why it might be just as cheap to live rural in the State of Alabama in the States as it is in LOS.

I'm going to start another thread on alternatives.

I am 48 and health insurance IS the biggest problem. Many will happily insure you (with low maximum insured amounts) until a certain age and then kick you out.

I have insurance and an emergency fund, but still if that problem can not be solved adequately returning to a country which has a good system in place is a highly probable future.

• Like 1

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. sad.png

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

Right. As a non US citizen, I'd never go to the US without insurance......

You're gonna die anyway so why worry ?

Surely most of us want to enjoy the best of health before we die, though, meaning that we will need to be able to afford good health care when life's inevitable challenges occur?

Or are you prepared to contemplate an early death, because you cannot afford a hip replacement that you need, for example?

Surely most of us want to enjoy the best of health before we die, though, meaning that we will need to be able to afford good health care when life's inevitable challenges occur?

Or are you prepared to contemplate an early death, because you cannot afford a hip replacement that you need, for example?

Not only an early death, but I would imagine a pretty miserable life.

I really hope you're taking notice of the responses here. You can't even consider coming over without insurance. It just isn't worth it. You don't need fancy insurance with all the bells and whistles, but you do need insurance.

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. sad.png

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

to be envious is to be the lesser man

Not only an early death, but I would imagine a pretty miserable life.

I really hope you're taking notice of the responses here. You can't even consider coming over without insurance. It just isn't worth it. You don't need fancy insurance with all the bells and whistles, but you do need insurance.

Assuming you can get it. ;)

Health care for seniors in LOS is the elephant in the room. No one seems to want to see it or acknowledge it. At my age I can't get it, and it could ruin me. If I was healthy enough to travel, I'd have to go packing back to the States where I have full coverage Medicare Advantage for $125 a month. It is a gamble for sure.

I just had a very good exchange with a mod on here about why it might be just as cheap to live rural in the State of Alabama in the States as it is in LOS.

I'm going to start another thread on alternatives.

Rural Alabama is an alternative ? w00t.gif