Living In Thailand On A 49,000Baht/mo Budget. Questions.

Rambling Man

Health care for seniors in LOS is the elephant in the room. No one seems to want to see it or acknowledge it. At my age I can't get it, and it could ruin me. If I was healthy enough to travel, I'd have to go packing back to the States where I have full coverage Medicare Advantage for $125 a month. It is a gamble for sure.

The current estimate for lifetime, out-of-pocket expenses for an individual in the US during retirement while covered by Medicare is $125,000. So, your out-of-pocket expenses in the US while covered by Medicare could well exceed your out-of-pocket expenses in Thailand without insurance.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Health care for seniors in LOS is the elephant in the room. No one seems to want to see it or acknowledge it. At my age I can't get it, and it could ruin me. If I was healthy enough to travel, I'd have to go packing back to the States where I have full coverage Medicare Advantage for $125 a month. It is a gamble for sure.

The current estimate for lifetime, out-of-pocket expenses for an individual in the US during retirement while covered by Medicare is $125,000. So, your out-of-pocket expenses in the US while covered by Medicare could well exceed your out-of-pocket expenses in Thailand without insurance.

It has been ten years since I lived in the US but I found it difficult to find doctors who took medicaid and medicare for my father and the ones who did weren't any good. Plus all the nursing homes that had any openings all smelled like pee and had awful food.

Lots of conversation about health insurance. Ok, so i'll bite. I'll be 25, won't be a resident of Thailand as it appears I'll have to live on a tourist visa. I'm a smoker. How much would I expect Thai health insurance to cost me per month?
Google "World Nomads"

Only good if you are under 60 :(

For those without insurance. Yes, paying for a runny nose is cheap out of pocket, but what about a car crash and a week in intensive care maybe with an operation? That will run you into the hundreds of thousands of baht. I sure hope you have that money lying around.
I don't think I can reasonably get real health insurance in LOS due to my age. It's one of the oft unmentioned things about the cost of living in LOS vs the West. I have full coverage Medicare Advantage in the US for $125 a month, but it's no good when living in LOS.

Agreed 100%. I have searched hi&lo for some really basic health/accident insurance but the cut off always seems to be 60 years old. Old farts like us are either wealthy or expendable :(

My girlfriend and I used to live in BKK for a year (last year) and our income was around 60k per month.

Our rent was around 14000 with water/elec/internet, we ate on the street, take bts(only 2 minutes walk to bts), went to the restaurant 2 times a week. At the end of the month, we saved from 20k to 30k!

So, you'll certainly hear some people tell you that you can't live under 100k/month but everything depends of how you want to live.

One of my friend lives with 1200$, so yeah it is really possible with 49k.

Edited by Wilda

I think Cholburee is one of the good option for you , if you don't like bar much may be stay around Bangsan beach , Burapa University .you can find good condominium or apartment with budget around 1x,xxx and food there each meal not more than 100 per person . Only 45 minute drive to Bangkok .

Holy crap I rent a 3 bedroom house for 3600 just outside Chonburi. For 10 grand I'd want a pair of buffalo too.

Don't forget about insurance, you don't want to end up without money when in a small accident.

Can cost you more than you think. And save some money for the return ticket.

I suggest that before you go to Thailand you have at least 5.000 us$ (more is better) on your account, only to be used in emergencies.

For some reason, this post makes me sad. sad.png

Is this what traveling the World, free as a bird, at 25 has become?

Right. As a non US citizen, I'd never go to the US without insurance......

I have a Finnish friend who went to the states and fell while roller blading; blew out a knee. He had Zero funds and no insurance. Whne he returned to LOS he was kitted with the newest high tech knee brace and was on the mend. The USA does not let the injured die in the streets as many would like others to believe.

It has been ten years since I lived in the US but I found it difficult to find doctors who took medicaid and medicare for my father and the ones who did weren't any good. Plus all the nursing homes that had any openings all smelled like pee and had awful food.

I would like to see a link to that $125k figure. My copays are very low.

Hospitals are required by federal law to take Medicare, as are doctors who work for hospitals. We have a large doctor's clinic here which belongs to the largest hospital here. It has 27 doctors of all stripes for anything you need. They even have a no appointment needed urgent care (much different from emergency room) where the service is good and it's even open seven days a week. I went there recently on a Saturday for a worrisome sore throat. They have a lab open and a pharmacy in the building.

There are a lot of misconceptions about health care in the US and you only need ask yourself why so many wealthy Canadians and Brits go to the US for care. It may have less to do with quality and more to do with no wait times, but it is there. There is no complaint about quality in the UK or Canada, just wait times which almost amount to rationing.

Hospitals are required to treat and stabilize patients who have no money or insurance. Collecting later is a civil matter and many just write it off. See any news reports on the treatment even for illegal aliens from South of the border. They are a real drain on the system.

If you are in the US and need care you will get it and I mean right now. Here is such a clinic, owned by a hospital, and they say up front there are no wait times. You will get treatment. If they can't do it do to complexity, the big hospital is a couple of blocks away and you will be rushed by ambulance.

It is illegal for a hospital or hospital owned clinic to even ask you about insurance until after they have treated you!!

Edited by NeverSure

It is illegal for a hospital or hospital owned clinic to even ask you about insurance until after they have treated you!!

That is really good news -- if verifyable . I had not heard of this before. Is there a link to some confirmation?

I would like to see a link to that $125k figure. My copays are very low.

Hospitals are required by federal law to take Medicare, as are doctors who work for hospitals. We have a large doctor's clinic here which belongs to the largest hospital here. It has 27 doctors of all stripes for anything you need. They even have a no appointment needed urgent care (much different from emergency room) where the service is good and it's even open seven days a week. I went there recently on a Saturday for a worrisome sore throat. They have a lab open and a pharmacy in the building.

There are a lot of misconceptions about health care in the US and you only need ask yourself why so many wealthy Canadians and Brits go to the US for care. It may have less to do with quality and more to do with no wait times, but it is there. There is no complaint about quality in the UK or Canada, just wait times which almost amount to rationing.

Hospitals are required to treat and stabilize patients who have no money or insurance. Collecting later is a civil matter and many just write it off. See any news reports on the treatment even for illegal aliens from South of the border. They are a real drain on the system.

If you are in the US and need care you will get it and I mean right now. Here is such a clinic, owned by a hospital, and they say up front there are no wait times. You will get treatment. If they can't do it do to complexity, the big hospital is a couple of blocks away and you will be rushed by ambulance.

Here is the link:

http://www.fidelity.com/inside-fidelity/individual-investing/2011-rhcce

Looks like the number was revised down in 2011 to $115,000 for an individual due to the Affordable Care Act. Medicare does not cover everything. This number is an estimate of what it doesn't cover over your lifetime.

US hospitals are obliged to provide emergency treatment only, i.e. to stabilize the patient, not to provide long-term treatment.

I am very surprised to hear that a foreign tourist got a knee replacement for free.

One of the popular misconceptions about US care is that a lot of Canadians come to the US for it. Turns out that the number of those Canadians is too small to measure. However, every year one million Californians alone go to Mexico for cheaper treatment. So, if we use the level of medical tourism as the measure of the effectiveness of a healthcare system, the US doesn't look very attractive.

http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-03-2012/myths-canada-health-care.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090526140844.htm

Here is the link:

http://www.fidelity....ting/2011-rhcce

Looks like the number was revised down in 2011 to $115,000 for an individual due to the Affordable Care Act. Medicare does not cover everything. This number is an estimate of what it doesn't cover over your lifetime.

That article speaks only to Medicare parts A,B and C. It doesn't speak to Medicare Advantage which is full coverage private insurance subsidized by Medicare which I have. It costs me $125 per month and gives me full coverage with small co-pays.

It also doesn't speak to Medicaid, which is for those who are low income. It is only speaking to those who have LOTS of money and who elect to not participate in Medicare Advantage. No serious person would believe that the average couple would spend $235,000 on health care in retirement. They wouldn't have the money and people would be dying in the streets.

Now show me an article about all of the retired people dying in the streets in the US.

US hospitals are obliged to provide emergency treatment only, i.e. to stabilize the patient, not to provide long-term treatment.

I am very surprised to hear that a foreign tourist got a knee replacement for free.

They are required to stabilize the patient, even if that means hospital admittance after the emergency room, surgery, and weeks in the hospital. Stabilized is stabilized. They can't throw anyone out on the street who isn't stabilized.

Nothing is free, as in "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." I'm not sure that it was actually stated than a foreigner got a free knee replacement. I read it that it could have happened later in LOS.

One of the popular misconceptions about US care is that a lot of Canadians come to the US for it. Turns out that the number of those Canadians is too small to measure. However, every year one million Californians alone go to Mexico for cheaper treatment. So, if we use the level of medical tourism as the measure of the effectiveness of a healthcare system, the US doesn't look very attractive.

http://www.aarp.org/...ealth-care.html

http://www.scienceda...90526140844.htm

Please come up with a better source than the AARP. They are one step below communists. You and I both know of the long waits for procedures in Canada. It amounts to rationing. People from there who are wealthy can get it right now in the US and they do. I wouldn't put it past the AARP to survey a hospital in Galveston Texas instead of one that is right over the Canadian border. And that was hospital, not doctors' offices.

From your link about people going to Mexico, notice that more than 1/2 of them are Mexican immigrants as in Mexican citizens as in probably illegal immigrants. It includes people slipping over the border (legally) and then going to a pharmacy only. Yes, meds are cheaper in Mexico and a lot of them which are prescription only in the US are over the counter in Mexico. It doesn't even prove that a real doctor would have approved of them for the purpose used.

Here is the link:

http://www.fidelity....ting/2011-rhcce

That article speaks only to Medicare parts A,B and C. It doesn't speak to Medicare Advantage which is full coverage private insurance subsidized by Medicare which I have. It costs me $125 per month and gives me full coverage with small co-pays.

It also doesn't speak to Medicaid, which is for those who are low income. It is only speaking to those who have LOTS of money and who elect to not participate in Medicare Advantage. No serious person would believe that the average couple would spend $235,000 on health care in retirement. They wouldn't have the money and people would be dying in the streets.

Now show me an article about all of the retired people dying in the streets in the US.

They are required to stabilize the patient, even if that means hospital admittance after the emergency room, surgery, and weeks in the hospital. Stabilized is stabilized. They can't throw anyone out on the street who isn't stabilized.

Nothing is free, as in "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." I'm not sure that it was actually stated than a foreigner got a free knee replacement. I read it that it could have happened later in LOS.

http://www.aarp.org/...ealth-care.html

http://www.scienceda...90526140844.htm

Please come up with a better source than the AARP. They are one step below communists. You and I both know of the long waits for procedures in Canada. It amounts to rationing. People from there who are wealthy can get it right now in the US and they do. I wouldn't put it past the AARP to survey a hospital in Galveston Texas instead of one that is right over the Canadian border. And that was hospital, not doctors' offices.

From your link about people going to Mexico, notice that more than 1/2 of them are Mexican immigrants as in Mexican citizens as in probably illegal immigrants. It includes people slipping over the border (legally) and then going to a pharmacy only. Yes, meds are cheaper in Mexico and a lot of them which are prescription only in the US are over the counter in Mexico. It doesn't even prove that a real doctor would have approved of them for the purpose used.

Your ability to dismiss evidence that does not match your preconceptions is impressive, but then American conservatives pretty much take denial of reality as a badge of honor. AARP is a bunch of communists? That's a comic book view of the world. Do you really think that most patients in doctor's offices and in hospitals are there to get care in the emergency room? And that since they can get ER care without paying they have adequate medical care for their lives? That's a ridiculous notion.

As for treatment in Canada, yes there are wait times for some treatments. Here is the big news for you: everything in the world is rationed because no resources are infinite. Rationing can be carried out by queues or prices can be set so high that the good or service is out of reach. All of the Canadians whom I have known loved their healthcare system and viewed the American system as crazy. No one likes to wait in line, but that burden compares favorably with going bankrupt from medical costs, which are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the US. No one goes bankrupt from healthcare in Canada. Or the UK. Or France. Or Japan. etc.

The US healthcare system is by far the most expensive in the world, but less effective than those is other developed countries. According to the WHO, the US system is ranked # 37, right there with Slovenia. But no doubt the WHO is just another bunch of Marxist-Leninists.

You have to get real here. Single guy comes to Thailand gets an infection. Go to clinic , 5 min wait, doctor looks at it, gives man an injection and 4 pills, sit down for 10 minutes so don't feint, tells man don't drink for 3 days. Cost? 500 baht.

In the West.... How long to get an appointment? Then some nurse wants to know things like medical history. All good stuff I'm sure. Thailand 99% don't go to a doctor just talk to the pharmacist. No prescription for 99% of medications. I know.......

But reality does kick in at some point in time.

• Like 1

You have to get real here. Single guy comes to Thailand gets an infection.

I think the reality you refer to would be if the infection were something more serious, or if the guy has an allergy or reaction to the pills or if the pills would change the effectiveness of mediation he was already taking. I always ask Dr Google and am constantly dismayed by how often this last one happens, in the west as well as here.

Any one of us can fall awkwardly getting out of a chair, be victim to somebody else's bad driving or develop a serious illness or condition regardless of age. Being without medical cover in another country is unthinkable to me and always was when we were younger; we felt safe at home, but as soon as we left the UK, we felt that we were very vulnerable. For what it costs, it's not worth being without.

Insurance is always the biggest waste of money imaginable. Until you have to claim.

I'm 28 and I live here on slightly less than you're suggesting and I'm in the center of Bangkok. I also don't go out drinking or partying much and because of that I find it quite easy to live here. As far as getting bored if you don't party, I wouldn't listen to any of that non-sense. I find between studying Thai, doing photography, practicing Muay Thai, and traveling around Thailand that I'm never bored here. Even traveling here is quite cheap if you learn to do things the Thai way, which is taking buses and/or mini-vans. All that said, after 4 years here I'm now beginning to want more money because I'm thinking about upgrading. Your 49,000 baht will easily be enough but just be sure to consider your future and that you probably will want more money in the future.

Also, I believe another poster mentioned that the exchange rate can change and that can really bite you in the ass (or really benefit you). I haven't read all of the posts but it sounds to me like you've never been here before. If that's the case you really need to travel here and see if you really want to live here. There's a lot of good here, but not everything is perfect. Good luck!

• Like 2

Also, I believe another poster mentioned that the exchange rate can change and that can really bite you in the ass (or really benefit you). I haven't read all of the posts but it sounds to me like you've never been here before. If that's the case you really need to travel here and see if you really want to live here. There's a lot of good here, but not everything is perfect. Good luck!

Just ask any Brit who retired here 10 years ago. They went from getting nearly 80 baht to the pound at one time, to under 50. That's a huge hit when costs were going up at the same time.

• Like 2

I think the reality you refer to would be if the infection were something more serious, or if the guy has an allergy or reaction to the pills or if the pills would change the effectiveness of mediation he was already taking. I always ask Dr Google and am constantly dismayed by how often this last one happens, in the west as well as here.

Any one of us can fall awkwardly getting out of a chair, be victim to somebody else's bad driving or develop a serious illness or condition regardless of age. Being without medical cover in another country is unthinkable to me and always was when we were younger; we felt safe at home, but as soon as we left the UK, we felt that we were very vulnerable. For what it costs, it's not worth being without.

Insurance is always the biggest waste of money imaginable. Until you have to claim.

I completely agree with you but the small stuff here is really cheap. I had a doctor change my dressing instead of doing it myself after an operation because he only charged 100 baht. I go to a doctor here for almost anything because there is never a wait and he is a good doctor and has cute nurses and costs less than lunch (the doctor bill).

• Like 1

Just ask any Brit who retired here 10 years ago. They went from getting nearly 80 baht to the pound at one time, to under 50. That's a huge hit when costs were going up at the same time.

Ex rate went from 45 to 91 ( in 1996 or 1997) and back to 44 ( couple of years ago ). Seems to be stable now at about 48 to 49, but costs of many things have doubled since the 90s.

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct, but trying to get insurance over 60 can be difficult and certainly expensive. One has to consider one's plan in the event of a crippling accident or disabling illness if going without. Be a pity to die for want of simple treatment that is unaffordable, or that would take all of one's finances.

I know a lot of folks worry about the insurance issue and can understand this, but if the choice was to be uninsured in the US or uninsured in Thailand, I would choose the later...

The cost of healthcare in US is just crazy ... If you had to pay out of pocket, then almost anything requiring you to he admitted or requiring surgery would likely break the bank...

That being said, if anyone was planning long time stay or retirement in Thailand, would highly recommend getting a job for a year, if nothing else, just to get into the social security system ... You can then quit and sign up directly on your own.

I know a lot of folks worry about the insurance issue and can understand this, but if the choice was to be uninsured in the US or uninsured in Thailand, I would choose the later...

The cost of healthcare in US is just crazy ... If you had to pay out of pocket, then almost anything requiring you to he admitted or requiring surgery would likely break the bank...

I continue to ask for an example of someone dying in the street or even at a hospital door for lack of money or insurance in the US and no one has one. I'm amazed at the misconceptions.

For those 65 or older there is Medicare and most opt for Medicare Advantage which costs me $125 per month and is full coverage including prescription drugs.

For the poor there is Medicaid which is full coverage.

For those who did any planning in life, employers provide insurance. Those who didn't do any planning may still be covered by Medicaid but they won't be left to die in any event.

In LOS I keep being told that if you don't have the cash ready right now up front, they will leave you to die. A lot of retirees in LOS are getting past the age to get real insurance.

It is LOS which scares me unless I can set aside at least US $100,000 cash handy for an unexpected collapse and need for quadruple bypass surgery and other aging maladies.

I'm not impressed by stories of how cheap it is in LOS for a doctor's visit. My income is so much higher in the US that even if uninsured I can easily afford a doctor's visit and medications. I don't need to though because Medicare Advantage will pay for it.

It's the catastrophic illness which, if reports on this forum are correct, could really bite some expats.

So which is it?

I continue to ask for an example of someone dying in the street or even at a hospital door for lack of money or insurance in the US and no one has one. I'm amazed at the misconceptions.

For those 65 or older there is Medicare and most opt for Medicare Advantage which costs me $125 per month and is full coverage including prescription drugs.

For the poor there is Medicaid which is full coverage.

For those who did any planning in life, employers provide insurance. Those who didn't do any planning may still be covered by Medicaid but they won't be left to die in any event.

In LOS I keep being told that if you don't have the cash ready right now up front, they will leave you to die. A lot of retirees in LOS are getting past the age to get real insurance.

It is LOS which scares me unless I can set aside at least US $100,000 cash handy for an unexpected collapse and need for quadruple bypass surgery and other aging maladies.

I'm not impressed by stories of how cheap it is in LOS for a doctor's visit. My income is so much higher in the US that even if uninsured I can easily afford a doctor's visit and medications. I don't need to though because Medicare Advantage will pay for it.

It's the catastrophic illness which, if reports on this forum are correct, could really bite some expats.

So which is it?

I have been to the hospital in Thailand for both outpatient and inpatient procedures, so has my wife and so have my children...

Even for inpatient, have never been asked to confirm payment or about insurance until the very end when the doctor has cleared to the patient to leave and then the billing people come up to your room to ask about these things. So from my experiences no issue with being turned out into the street in Thailand

If not impressed about the stories of how much cheaper medical care is in Thailand, perhaps you may want to do a bit more research, as in many cases the out of pocket costs for outpatient can be the same or less than co-pays for some insurance companies in the US.

Also for inpatient, even at top tiered hospitals can be very low... Had a full medical work up to diagnose along with a 5 day admit and 2 follow up appointments after being released, along with 30 days of antibiotics in one of the Top 3 hospitals in the country.... Total cost, under USD 3,000

Also Thailand does have Social Security medical care as well, as a foreigner, all you need to do is work in Thailand to pay into the system for at least 1 yr, you can then retire and pay social security yourself, costs less than USD 15 per month and that would cover you for the rest of your life

Very easy and very reasonable, and would put it up against Medicare/Medicaid

That being said, it sounds like you are currently in the US and you seem to be happy with your decision to stay in the US... If so, then wish you luck, but no reason to try and scare others to try and validate your decision

Edited by CWMcMurray
  • Like 1

Why not ask a Brit that retired here 15 years ago. They went from getting 35bht to the pound, to just under 50. That's a huge bonus.

Why not ask a Brit that retired here 15 years ago. They went from getting 35bht to the pound, to just under 50. That's a huge bonus.

Those would have less spending power because inflation numbers of the last 15 years would need the pounds exchange rate to go from 35 to around 65.

I would not call that a huge bonus but not even keeping up with inflation and open for some serious trouble when it goes back to 35.

Only way to survive those swings is to establish yourself in Thailand as quickly as possible by buying the necessities and maybe get a job. Even if you don't like a small condo it is a way to at least have some control about having a roof above your head.

Edited by Khun Jean

Harvard study finds nearly 45,000 excess deaths annually linked to lack of health coverage

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2009/september/harvard_study_finds_.php

The study found a 40 percent increased risk of death among the uninsured. As expected, death rates were also higher for males (37 percent increase), current or former smokers (102 percent and 42 percent increases), people who said that their health was fair or poor (126 percent increase), and those that examining physicians said were in fair or poor health (222 percent increase).

Dr. Steffie Woolhandler, study co-author, professor of medicine at Harvard and a primary care physician in Cambridge, Mass., noted: “Historically, every other developed nation has achieved universal health care through some form of nonprofit national health insurance. Our failure to do so means that all Americans pay higher health care costs, and 45,000 pay with their lives.”