Is Your Thai Wife/gf A Great Cook?

SiameseCurios

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife's an excellent cook as far as I'm concerned, cooks Thai dishes to perfection, even partial to surprise me now and again with excellent attempts at my old favourites from my mum's recipe book, chicken n sweet corn soup, beef stew, and fish soup..

Funnily enough the wife's dad doesn't like her cooking so much, he says not spicy enough.

Thankfully everyone in our household have similar thresholds regarding spicy foods

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

The wife's an excellent cook as far as I'm concerned, cooks Thai dishes to perfection, even partial to surprise me now and again with excellent attempts at my old favourites from my mum's recipe book, chicken n sweet corn soup, beef stew, and fish soup..

Funnily enough the wife's dad doesn't like her cooking so much, he says not spicy enough.

Thankfully everyone in our household have similar thresholds regarding spicy foods

Well worth a "like"!

Thanks for sharing.

No.

Nearly everything that she makes is overcooked and/or with far too much oil.

When she BBQs fish or pork over charcoal though, it's incredibly tasty.

Very often they make omelettes (Khai Jeaw) with too much oil. It's just how they do things.

Perhaps you could ask her to try coconut oil instead of what she's using now. Or maybe olive oil.

No.

Very often they make omelettes (Khai Jeaw) with too much oil. It's just how they do things.

Perhaps you could ask her to try coconut oil instead of what she's using now. Or maybe olive oil.

We use rice bran oil, but whatever we have, she would use too much.

She'a actually much better at cooking omelettes now. Since I bought a non-stick pan and showed her that she only needs to use a little oil, they're actually very good.

No.

We use rice bran oil, but whatever we have, she would use too much.

She'a actually much better at cooking omelettes now. Since I bought a non-stick pan and showed her that she only needs to use a little oil, they're actually very good.

Really good point. My GF watches those TV shows which advertise non-stick pans (plus lots of saucepans), and we may buy a set.

A complete set is 4900 Baht, and they really do seem to be non-stick.

As you say:

Since I bought a non-stick pan and showed her that she only needs to use a little oil, they're actually very good

I am thankfully a decent cook.....

So, how's your masaman? Is it BKK-style with "man farang", or southern-style with "khai thom"?

Are you sure you know how to choose shallots rather than onions?

Do you know the difference between those big GARLICS (which I think are Chinese) and those small GARLICS (which are much more garlicky)?

So, how's your masaman? Is it BKK-style with "man farang", or southern-style with "khai thom"?

Do you know the difference between those big GARLICS (which I think are Chinese) and those small GARLICS (which are much more garlicky)?

My curries are more West Indian than Thai as that is how I first learnt to cook them. I can at least cook the potatoes properly.

Never used shallots.

Yeah the small garlic is more flavoursome.

Carry on....!

• Like 1

My curries are more West Indian than Thai as that is how I first learnt to cook them. I can at least cook the potatoes properly.

Never used shallots.

Yeah the small garlic is more flavoursome.

Carry on....!

But you have the main ingredient man...say no more!

• Like 1

No.

wife does the same,oily omelettes,we use olive oil for cooking.

love her pad thai,larb (a big hit at work),yes normally a great cook,her mother and sister are not good cooks,but her dad is.

the wife can now cook a good steak,took a while but the message got through,as did how to pick a good steak.

After sometime here you will realize it best to make everything yourself at home/appartment.

with practice you can do just as good as they and more healthy method

At first i did think Thai have the holy grail of cooks but after see how much MSG go into everything i think again.

An "MSG cook" is a cheat cook in my book and a lot of time serve everything stone cold.

They have great supply of inexpensive ingredients but a very lazy method and to much oil and deep fry the hoLy h3LL out of everything

If you take away this MSG every restaurant and vendour here would go broke and be crying after 1 hourwhistling.gif

After sometime here you will realize it best to make everything yourself at home/appartment.

At first i did think Thai have the holy grail of cooks but after see how much MSG go into everything i think again.

An "MSG cook" is a cheat cook in my book and a lot of time serve everything stone cold.

They have great supply of inexpensive ingredients but a very lazy method and to much oil and deep fry the hoLy h3LL out of everything

If you take away this MSG every restaurant and vendour here would go broke and be crying after 1 hourwhistling.gif

MSG,the bain of my life,she never cooks anything for me with MSG,but for herself she still does,the food is not delicious without it she says,bugger the health issues,it makes it taste better,i love her and explain to her about the MSG health effects,but it is like talking to a wall on this issue.

MSG,the bain of my life,she never cooks anything for me with MSG,but for herself she still does,the food is not delicious without it she says,bugger the health issues,it makes it taste better,i love her and explain to her about the MSG health effects,but it is like talking to a wall on this issue.

The only way to win this one is to cook food that is tastier without it yourself and then teach her how to do it.

Even then the acquired taste might take a long time to eradicate.

I still like deep fried pizza....can't help it! biggrin.png

Also to answer the question about the Thai wife or GF cooking: If you look into the kitchen you will not go far before to see the bag of "special" salt, will always be somewhere near!

This poochorot or whatever they call..none can live without!

IMO Is the blame for so many people in Thailand have eating disorder and also very high rate of cancer and bowel problem.

Another crazy thing, at the BBQ vendor you see them with scizzor snipping off the charred, if burnt and blackened bits because this they are scared to death of....

will give cancer and surely die tomorrow if eaten any black bits but then SHOVEL on MSG and sugar like there be no tomorrow blink.png

yes i have to agree and can see your point. I think for every wife and GF this must be a very big % of people who think the same.

It really is so incredible how so many people can think/believe the same thing in one country.Never have i see this anywhere like here!

Every female here i ever been with is the same as you say and also i talk to her the same as you did..with same result of courserolleyes.gif

I must be one of the lucky ones, no pomchoorot in our kitchen, in fact had to ask the wife what you guys meant, she says her dad uses it in everything too,

As smokie earlier mentioned coming from the land that invented (allegedly) the deep fried mars bar and deep fried pizza, I compare Thailand as the healthy food "hub"

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

yes i have to agree and can see your point. I think for every wife and GF this must be a very big % of people who think the same.

It really is so incredible how so many people can think/believe the same thing in one country.Never have i see this anywhere like here!

Every female here i ever been with is the same as you say and also i talk to her the same as you did..with same result of courserolleyes.gif

Been here for 10 years, 4 different women none of them used MSG. I have been cooking professionally for 40 years never used it myself. At home the ladies cook a couple nights a week and I cook a couple nights a week and we go out the others.

Brand name in the States is "Accent."