Is Your Thai Wife/gf A Great Cook?

SiameseCurios

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sometime here you will realize it best to make everything yourself at home/appartment.

with practice you can do just as good as they and more healthy method

At first i did think Thai have the holy grail of cooks but after see how much MSG go into everything i think again.

An "MSG cook" is a cheat cook in my book and a lot of time serve everything stone cold.

They have great supply of inexpensive ingredients but a very lazy method and to much oil and deep fry the hoLy h3LL out of everything

If you take away this MSG every restaurant and vendour here would go broke and be crying after 1 hourwhistling.gif

MSG,the bain of my life,she never cooks anything for me with MSG,but for herself she still does,the food is not delicious without it she says,bugger the health issues,it makes it taste better,i love her and explain to her about the MSG health effects,but it is like talking to a wall on this issue.

what are the health issues?

It is my understanding that some people may be intolerant, and it may cause some symptoms in a subset of the population, but so do shrimp, milk etc.

evidence of symptoms is accoriding to the mayo clinic site anecdotal .

I have not seen a study (not that i have looked very hard) which suggests health issues, but there are a few sites which extoll the dangers which all seem to have the whiff of conspiracy about them.

anyone got anything concrete?

My gf cooks really well, or at least my friends who have visited, as well as myself, all seem to think so.

However, if she serves up anything to her mother, who is an excellent cook, and used to run her own restaurant, the answer is "Kem!!"

Although I'm not sure if this is because her mother simply sets the bar really high, or if perhaps my gf's style is indeed very salty. I don't really notice, but she says she sometimes gets a little bit carried away with the fish sauce, because that's how she personally likes it (And I'm usually a big fan of anything she cooks)

No complaints here. Started with the usual problems of MSG, too much oil, sugar etc but after explanation and showing various articles on eating healthily all that has gone and she's become a healthy eating freak. First Non-stick pan I bought got completely destroyed by metal utensils so after buying several new frying pans and saucepans I also bought a range of wooden and plastic utensils and explained why I had thrown the metal ones in the recycle bin. When you first move them in it's like starting with a kids education all over !

Wife excels in Thai and farang food, the only food that I like she cant cook is southern Thai style.

She makes great Indian food, vindaloos are awesome, cooks Italian and Mexican, although the Mexican is more Tex Mex.

I would like to thank all the farang women who took the time to show my mrs how to cook all these great foods, especially Nora from New mexico who taught the Mrs mexican.

She also knocks up farang fry ups, and does a mean chip butty, what a cook, what a woman.

• Like 1

My S.O. - as I'm not married - cooks most days and I love the taste of what she cooks.

Is she a great cook? No, not really. Yet she is willing and happy to do the cooking. In fact I am rarely allowed to set foot in the kitchen these days unless I insist it is my turn to cook and her turn to put her feet up.

Hola - my wife cook well on a BBQ she coots great Issan food. - but most of it I taught her to cook. She makes curry and the likes with bought paste but when it comes to making it, again the lesson comes from me. Making moo deng is and ark in itself but very rewarding once on the boil.

My other half is an excellent cook.I never really liked thai food until I hooked up with her back in europe,and now I love it.She'll cook anything from thai to western dishes and it's always perfect.When we go out to a restaurant,I'm always comparing the restaraunt's food to hers.They can't beat her cooking.All her friends and family love her cooking aswell.I'd say I'm pretty spoilt with the dishes she serves up whistling.gif

My wife cooks better than any restraunt here so I am happy. I would like to point out I live in a smallish town so the standards are not very high. I find we work well as a team and cook multiple dishes so our dinner often ends up like a thai dinner with many different dishes served.

As some people have a natural talent for using numbers, fixing machines or working with animals, my wife is a natural born cook. Not only does every person I know (Thai and foreign) go on about it, at 2 different 5 star hotels where I have worked her food (both Thai and western) was among that served at some staff parties. Chefs were loving it (as was everyone) and trying to find out which chef had cooked it.Virtually everyone in each community we have lived in over the last 20 years (a lot of them) was always crazy for her stuff -- even the popular neighborhood cooks and restaurateurs.

The funny thing is not only did I never even consider looking for such a quality in a spouse but I was unaware of it until after we had been involved for months and moved in together. Even more ironic: while I like my favorites as much or more than the next man, I am a notoriously unadventurous eater who is very happy to eat little more than half a dozen things over and over (I'm actually rather embarrassed about that but ...)

Poor girl gave up trying new stuff with me but my friends and neighbors take up the slack.

• Like 2

My Wife loves cooking,and she is very good,and it shows in the end results,whether it be Thai,or any European food. She looks in her Pictorial Cook Book,and just knows how it should be cooked,by mainly looking at the photos,or if there is a understandable recipe there,then so much the better.

I know I shouldn't do it,but on the rare occasions she sets off the smoke alarm,I can't resist saying,while clutching my throat,: cough cough,"for heavens sake,what you burnt now" ?

She's a natural good Cook,with a flair for Cooking, you either have, or you don't.

PS. She is making an Indian Curry for dinner,how lucky can I get?

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

My gf cooks really well, or at least my friends who have visited, as well as myself, all seem to think so.

However, if she serves up anything to her mother, who is an excellent cook, and used to run her own restaurant, the answer is "Kem!!"

Although I'm not sure if this is because her mother simply sets the bar really high, or if perhaps my gf's style is indeed very salty. I don't really notice, but she says she sometimes gets a little bit carried away with the fish sauce, because that's how she personally likes it (And I'm usually a big fan of anything she cooks)

And that's where the problem is,try looking on the bottle of Fish Sauce and you will see,it contains an unbelievable 25% Salt!,or looked at another way: a quarter bottle of pure salt!

As some people have a natural talent for using numbers, fixing machines or working with animals, my wife is a natural born cook. Not only does every person I know (Thai and foreign) go on about it, at 2 different 5 star hotels where I have worked her food (both Thai and western) was among that served at some staff parties. Chefs were loving it (as was everyone) and trying to find out which chef had cooked it.Virtually everyone in each community we have lived in over the last 20 years (a lot of them) was always crazy for her stuff -- even the popular neighborhood cooks and restaurateurs.

The funny thing is not only did I never even consider looking for such a quality in a spouse but I was unaware of it until after we had been involved for months and moved in together. Even more ironic: while I like my favorites as much or more than the next man, I am a notoriously unadventurous eater who is very happy to eat little more than half a dozen things over and over (I'm actually rather embarrassed about that but ...)

Poor girl gave up trying new stuff with me but my friends and neighbors take up the slack.

You've done well for yourself. Bon appetite.

I am a notoriously unadventurous eater

Time to break the mould! Be a devil! Go for it!

I am thankfully a decent cook.....

So, how's your masaman? Is it BKK-style with "man farang", or southern-style with "khai thom"?

Are you sure you know how to choose shallots rather than onions?

Do you know the difference between those big GARLICS (which I think are Chinese) and those small GARLICS (which are much more garlicky)?

My curries are more West Indian than Thai as that is how I first learnt to cook them. I can at least cook the potatoes properly.

Never used shallots.

Yeah the small garlic is more flavoursome.

Carry on....!

My curries are more West Indian than Thai

Interesting. I used to live in London (England) near London Bridge. The area was called The Borough (you won't know it, but others might), and nearby was a place called Deptford where West Indians (Jamaicans, etc) sold curries out the street.

But I never got to try any of that stuff. My bad. My stupidity. My ignorance. I do remember the smells, though. Awesome!!

So, how's your masaman? Is it BKK-style with "man farang", or southern-style with "khai thom"?

Do you know the difference between those big GARLICS (which I think are Chinese) and those small GARLICS (which are much more garlicky)?

My curries are more West Indian than Thai as that is how I first learnt to cook them. I can at least cook the potatoes properly.

Never used shallots.

Carry on....!

My curries are more West Indian than Thai

Interesting. I used to live in London (England) near London Bridge. The area was called The Borough (you won't know it, but others might), and nearby was a place called Deptford where West Indians (Jamaicans, etc) sold curries out the street.

But I never got to try any of that stuff. My bad. My stupidity. My ignorance. I do remember the smells, though. Awesome!!

Picking up birds in the Frog and Nightgown?

Lived on Long Lane back in the nineties...always loved the food but lernt to cook it while living in Trinidad. Pass the curry duck!

^^^^^, <deleted> Smokes youre making me hungry now.

Anyway in answer to a post that disappeared last night, I dont know if the question was questioning the veracity of the post or my wifes cooking ablility.

From what I remember,

1. No Mexican cheese, the fridge has about 4 kilos of cheese in it as of 5 minutes ago, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester, Cracker Barrel and Monterey Jack.

2. Yes the wife makes her own refried beans, Pinto beans readily available in Bkk.

3. Yes the wife makes her own Salsa, which one do you want, Garlic, Tomato, or Hot and Spicy?

4. Yes the wife can make her own tortillas, why should she, readily available in Bkk.

5. Cant remember the question.

Yes she also makes awesome Buffalo Wings, no she is not an engineer by trade simply a heck of a cook.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 2

Never used shallots.

Carry on....!

I just got back from a trip to Trinidad and Barbados. If you can rustle up a beef roti or two I'll reward you handsomely!