Pattaya Beginning To Earn Bad Reputation With Russian Tourists

Rimmer

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on Banglamung TV there are "7" russian chanels ! No translations for thai or other languages !

Russians want that Thais learn their language?

While they speak "only" russian ?

many russians dont understand why some people can't speak russian !

Other languages are something verry new to them .

Since Russians are the customer and thailand the sellors, yes it would appear right that they adapt to their customer base, in this case Thai's in tourist business selling to Russians learn some Russian.

When one considers the number of nationalities visiting Pattaya the Thais have got to start learning a few languages. Arabic, Pakistani, Russian, English, French, German, Nigerian, Bangladeshi, etc etc etc.

Shouldn't the visitors go back to the days of using guide books and translation books?

Taking peoples passports? I am sorry but this bit I don't understand? When did this become routine in Pattaya? That is just wrong.

The Embassy official is bang on. Nice to see a Country grow a pair and man up.

Who is next? Australia maybe, one of the Scandnavian's??

It's a bit weak. I certainly don't hand my passport to anyone and would refuse if asked by hotel staff. If they didn't like it I'd find somewhere else to stay. Are these Russian tourists like school children with no mind of their own?

The reason why so many Russians come to Thailand (and pattaya) is because their government has an agreement with Thailand to allow them. Russians are not as free to travel the world like many other western nations. But they are granted special access to Thailand.

This is why Russians are always granted 30 day entry at land boarder crossing and other western nations only 15 days.

I've never heard they aren't free to travel. Do you mean they aren't allowed entry into other countries?... or are you referring to visa-free entry to other countries?

I've only ever met two Russians.

Both were very nice, and spoke very good English.

I think people in Pattaya might be different from people in the rest of the world.

It might be to do with the sort of place Pattaya is, more than the type of people Russians are.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

The reason why so many Russians come to Thailand (and pattaya) is because their government has an agreement with Thailand to allow them. Russians are not as free to travel the world like many other western nations. But they are granted special access to Thailand.

This is why Russians are always granted 30 day entry at land boarder crossing and other western nations only 15 days.

I've never heard they aren't free to travel. Do you mean they aren't allowed entry into other countries?... or are you referring to visa-free entry to other countries?

I was told that by my Russian friend that lives here. I don't have the facts other than what he said. I did a quick google search and it does seem that Russians are free to travel to many countries without a visa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Russian_citizens

Even though his english skills are very good, maybe I misunderstood what he was saying. The one thing I am certain of, he was granted a 30 day stamp (under visa exception rule) at the land boarder when he did his visa run recently. I had told him the land boarders only give out 15 days so he would be aware. When he returned he told me they give Russians 30 days due to some agreement between the 2 governments.

Edited by Jayman

Pattaya is beginning to get a bad reputation with Russian tourists because it markets itself as a World class family resort ...and is slowly but surely being exposed to them for other things than it's 5 star shopping malls !

Keep out the Russian mafia and welcome the genuine tourists

Genuine tourists? LOL.

The Russians tourists ARE the genuine tourists. They come with families and friends and do the real tourist activities. Apart from them being a bit rude at times (queue jumping, pushing and shoving), I don't have a problem with them.

Get rid of them and who's left? Sex tourists... aka Arabs, Indians and Westerners etc... and the Asian bus tourists.

• Like 2

Andrey also doesn't like dual pricing in hospitals and the jet ski scams.

Well done Andrey.

(Can we have him for British Consul too)

He'd be great as Australian Consul as well! Could you imagine an Australian Ambassador saying anything remotely like this?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

Has the titanic sunk yet? Whilst it's good that someone has stood up and said something I don't count on it leading to any change. Due to what most people go to Pattaya for it obviously attracts the dregs of all societies. Not talking so much about clientele (a small part probably) but everyone else. It's why Pattaya isn't safe or why Sukhumvit is one of the most dodgey places in Bangkok.

ahhahaha

I think the Russians are giving Pattaya a Bad name.

I was recently in Pattaya and was told by a Russian Prostitute in a songtaew that I was in the wrong place, because, I spoke english

What language did she tell you that in?

• Like 2

Just show a commercial with the nice sunny beaches with girls dancing on the bars and all will be forgotten.

Maybe the beaches are sunny, but the sand is absolutely horrible (isn't that what a beach is? Sand).... After laying on it for several hours watching the fireworks I couldn't wait to get off it. This had nothing to do with the pollution on the beaches - take that into consideration and you'd be hard pressed finding worse beaches.

Just show a commercial with the nice sunny beaches with girls dancing on the bars and all will be forgotten.

Maybe the beaches are sunny, but the sand is absolutely horrible (isn't that what a beach is? Sand).... After laying on it for several hours watching the fireworks I couldn't wait to get off it. This had nothing to do with the pollution on the beaches - take that into consideration and you'd be hard pressed finding worse beaches.

North Pattaya beach is good, and the beach if you get to Jomtien then walk right is nice enough. Beach road is a bit of a disappointment but its good for keeping your back to the sea and to people watch.

North Pattaya beach is good, and the beach if you get to Jomtien then walk right is nice enough. Beach road is a bit of a disappointment but its good for keeping your back to the sea and to people watch.

I suppose living beach front in Surfers Paradise, Australia for 20 years made me a bit particular about sand. There it is squeaky white and they sift it everyday.

I read with interest however its all very well saying that some russians feel unsafe. In the last 7 yrs I wish I had 1 baht for every russian that has shown Thai people and westerners a totally ill mannered and arrogant attitude. If you behave that way in other countries you would probably get a beating.... so please dont blame Pattaya or the residents

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Have to agree 100%.

We see this in Jomtien all the time.

Can only agree - moved to Jomtiem from Pattaya as it is slightly quieter and more laid back. Travelling between the 2 places on Baht Buses, I see boorish behaviour only equalled by my fellow Brits on Sois 7 and 8! I know we aren't supposed to "bash" people here but common courtesey really isn't at all common - sorry Mods - just an observation.......really!

You need people to watch your back on Beach rd ....more like !!!!

many russians dont understand why some people can't speak russian !

Other languages are something verry new to them .

Well, that's not true. In fact every body in Russia studies a foreign language at school, either English or German. Some study 2. But the teachers are bad (no native speakers in Russia) and kids forget everything once they finish school as they have no practice. After they grow up and have enough money to go to Pattaya, they can barely remember a couple of words in English.

That may be the case - I don't know, but it's not only about language - it's about attitude and respect for one's hosts and fellow visitors. NO country's natives are all perfect (my Thai is still VERY lacking) but the respect you show to other customs is key. It's possible to communicate and get on IF YOU TRY..... regrettablly and in my experience people from certain nations seem to lack the desire to try!

Edited by VBF

ahhahaha

I was recently in Pattaya and was told by a Russian Prostitute in a songtaew that I was in the wrong place, because, I spoke english

Should've told her to f0k off. I am sick of certain nationalties that think they "own" sections of Pattaya.

The low point for tourism from Russia was 3 or 4 years ago when the two girls were executed on Jomtien beach, and the police picked up some random moron from the streets to put him away for the crime. The consul is venting hot air. Russian tour companies and carriers are making big money as well. Thai airways offers a total of 4 flights per week to and from Moscow, and that's their only destination in this vast country. If we estimate they transport 1,000 people per week, and 50,000 per year, then the other million or two is aboard Russian planes. I doubt this made news in the Russian media, and neither do stolen handbags and necklaces. Russians don't come from a place as mannered as Liechtenstein, crime and dumb drivers are as much routine there as in Thailand.

ahhahaha

Should've told her to f0k off. I am sick of certain nationalties that think they "own" sections of Pattaya.

Come on, let's be fair about this. The British thought they owned the place not so long ago.

English speakers are probably the most arrogant of all. They expect everyone to speak it.

ahhahaha

Come on, let's be fair about this. The British thought they owned the place not so long ago.

English speakers are probably the most arrogant of all. They expect everyone to speak it.

You are right, im amazed at times when i hear native english speakers talk to Thais. Not all of them of course but some, ordering food giving long hard descriptions and wondering why the low paid Thai staff gets it wrong. As a rule i keep it simple as not to cobfuse then or order in Thai (they can still get it wrong even if a Thai has ordered but that happens everywhere in the world)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

"This is rubbish. In all my years of visiting Pattaya I've never so much as heard of a single purse snatching, robbery, scam, or attack. It does not happen and you have to question what it is YOU are doing to provoke these things? I've never even paid double price for anything in Thailand, ever. Unicorns, sunflowers, and butterflies."

I just wanted to say that before someone else did.

Well I say yes well done the Russian consulate, however lets be real here, Moscow and Russia have a huge crime problem, don t forget when russian mafia took over whole provences inclu areas with nukes which caused great concern in the West and nearly sparked a war. Who do these Russian jokers think they are, as they are more likely to be coshed over the head in Moscow than Pattaya. Its all Russian lies to try to get a better deal out of Thailand and preferential treatment by Thai police etc. I say well done because its obviously a scam to help his comrads and yes our consulates should take a tougher stance, but it does not get away from the fact its Russian bull muck, their country is the most crime ridden place on earth, NOT PATTAYA, until they came perhaps.

• Like 1