St Georges Day Should Be A Holiday.

redrus

I'm all for more bank holidays in England but why St Georges day? Most people in England are not that religious and St George was a turkish saint anyway! What do you want Morris Dancers and a celebration of poor food? Surely we should pick another day - sometime in June when the weather is better and school is not yet on holiday! Why do we have to follow the Irish and their mass patriotism! One of the best things about being English is that we dont shove it down other peoples throats like Scots, welsh, Irish, Oz's, Kiwi's, Yanks and paticularly Canadians! We dont need it!

More holidays yes!

Flag waving for no reason - no thanks!

We have the world cup and thrashing the ozzies at cricket for that already!!

55555, and you talk of not pushing things down throats..... :o

I'll stick with patriotism and ol Georgie boy.....

redrus

What does 555555 mean? and I cant see your picture thingy either!

55555= haha, something to do with the Thai alphabet,....

Thats your set up thats stopping you from seeing it, its a moving avatar, maybe you can't see anybody elses that moves either...?

redrus

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for more bank holidays in England but why St Georges day? Most people in England are not that religious and St George was a turkish saint anyway! What do you want Morris Dancers and a celebration of poor food? Surely we should pick another day - sometime in June when the weather is better and school is not yet on holiday! Why do we have to follow the Irish and their mass patriotism! One of the best things about being English is that we dont shove it down other peoples throats like Scots, welsh, Irish, Oz's, Kiwi's, Yanks and paticularly Canadians! We dont need it!

More holidays yes!

redrus

Thats your set up thats stopping you from seeing it, its a moving avatar, maybe you can't see anybody elses that moves either...?

redrus

I get the hahahaha thing now! very good. I can see all the other moving pix just not yours. Oh well!

More holidays yes!

redrus

redrus

I get the hahahaha thing now! very good. I can see all the other moving pix just not yours. Oh well!

I think its his tin can connection hes got up north. :D

Strange but, as said there are one or two like you. Not sure I know why. Noel an Bambi have had problems with it too. Non compredez.

redrus

More holidays yes!

redrus

redrus

I think its his tin can connection hes got up north. :D

Oi don't be gettin personal over my connections..... :D

redrus

to all the englanders ....i say go for it guys...any excuse for a holiday is great....

after all its well overdue...after all st paddy's day is just an excuse for a piss up, after all paddy wasn't even irish, he was a welsh farmer..!! and thats a fact, honest.

although i think gordon brown has a British day in the pipeline...which wud be much more fun...one big happy family...pissed... :o

to all the englanders ....i say go for it guys...any excuse for a holiday is great....

after all its well overdue...after all st paddy's day is just an excuse for a piss up, after all paddy wasn't even irish, he was a welsh farmer..!! and thats a fact, honest.

although i think gordon brown has a British day in the pipeline...which wud be much more fun...one big happy family...pissed... :D

Good lad.... :o:D:D:D

redrus

Strange but, as said there are one or two like you. Not sure I know why. Noel an Bambi have had problems with it too. Non compredez.

redrus

Correct redrus, I still cannot see it. :o

Strange, as I can see all other avatars that move.

Perhaps it was one in a 'Monday morning' batch... :D

I think that it is a crime that the Queen's birthday is not a holiday in the UK, when she has been on the throne for fifty years; and it is a holiday in Australia!?

Abso-bloomin-lutely!

We should all be proud of our heritage and history, defined by our Royal family more than any other symbol. For some reason, we English feel it's "just not cricket" to be nationalistic and celebrate our great nation once in a while. Every other country does it, why not us?

April 21st - Queen's Birthday

April 23rd - St.Georges Day

*Both should be national holidays.

Have you clocked how many bank holidays there are here in Thailand???

PS: My birthday is 26th April, combine with the above two dates, what a week that would be!!!

heh heh heh heh :o

Mine is 5th May, so dont forget. :D

Our baby is due on the 28th April, so if he hangs on for another week he will pop out just in time for my 30th. What a present that will be :D

<deleted>, I always thought you'd be older than me DB, now I find you're 12 days chuffin younger.....!!!!!

redrus

.... I hope all you other nationalities that are leaving comments are still voting (yes).....?!?!?

redrus

More holidays yes!

Its not about where the saint was from (Although I think he was actually a Roman Officer from Libya) or the lack of religion that should influence people, its the fact that we English often get a hard time off other countries because of a few bad apples spoiling the cart. Football hooligans, the English Flag being used heavily by the National Front and the British National Party causing.

When England and Wales joined with Scotland in the early 18th Century, the National pride and Country became heavily diluted by becoming British.

Recent years have shown how the movie industry's (often biased) perception of the English as the former nasty imperialists. Its galvanised certain countries people into an almost deep rooted subliminal hatred of we English.

I kid ye not! Many countries citizens national character shines out in the way of holidays, patron saints, stories and legends. For we English to do it naming a date or time we get told we are the bad people who invade other countries and opress the weak! I recall just before world cup 2004 many councils forbade the buses and taxi drivers from flying the cross of St George for fear of upsetting the ethnic minorities (who actually admitted they didn't mind)

Mass media comes into mind in stunting any strong English nationhood. Listen to any news broadcast on the BBC or ITV and the'll refer to an Englishman/woman from Hampshire as British yet if its in Scotland the'll say Scottish!

A good many films come to mind but most prominent was the fairy tale film 'Braveheart' making some seriously outrageous blunders and totally demonizing the English people in portraying the Anglo-Scot wars of the late 13th Century.

A lesser known film perhaps even more galling piece of racism was the movie 'Timeline' where several timetravelling heros (all American or Scottish!) go back to the 14th Century where we bad old English (every single one shown!) are up to all kinds of evil and mischief against the holier than thou, whiter than white french forces and heros. Oh Hollywood give us a break.

Even the surnames for characters in American films tend to overly Scottish/Irish Mc something or O'such. Its almost as if they wish to stamp out any sign of who a good deal of their ancestors were.

They are only films at the end of the day but you'd suprised how many people believe the crap thats put down their throat.

Alright thats me on slagging off hollywood!

One thing I cannot fathom is why the Scots have there national anthem but all we get is the British National Anthem which, lets face it is a bit lame compared to some other countries rousing tunes.

English nationhood was strong in World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004 but dies a death once we get knocked out of them!

I say lets more of us English support our country and stick a vote in for old George!

Besides its world cup 2006 soon so with any luck we should see some progress!

English nationhood was strong in World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004 but dies a death once we get knocked out of them!

I say lets more of us English support our country and stick a vote in for old George!

Besides its world cup 2006 soon so with any luck we should see some progress!

Well said fella.....

redrus

Edited by redrus

Its too close to Easter and the May Holidays.

While I would love St George's for a holiday because of the sentiment a holiday between the August Bank Holiday and Christmas would be more practical

Eh, bugger practicallity.

St Georges day is on that day, cos it is, we could just change for you and practcallity though if thats what you so require..... :o

redrus

Ps;I take you voted no too then.

Edited by redrus

We, the English, celebrate the patron saints days of the Irish, Scottish and Welsh people. And so we should. The sad truth is St. George is glossed over by the media, for example. Come St Georges day news readers fail to mention it. Unlike the other 'saints days' of Britain. Why?

This is in part due to the use of the St. Georges cross by the legitimate right wing parties of Britain. For example, the BNP is the 4th largest party. By this I do not include the likes of Combat 18, N.F etc.

The erroneous view that the St. Georges cross is in some way racist has been propagated by the ultra PC to appease the Islamists. Who, in warped PC logic, are encouraged to promote their flags.

Mr Brown and his British Day is just an attempt to undo some of the damage. Most Brits, even those who live abroad, are decent and proud of their country. Despite years of Labour errosion.

I hope that St George's day will be observed and all those who live under the flag will feel free and protected.

Rus sort your avatar mate, yours is the only one i cant see, now i know most of your posts are as interesting as the little red cross that currently resides in the corner of your picture, but it would be nice to see something a little more interesting. :D:D

With respect my old monkey molester, the problem yours not mine.....!

Father Jack is the avatar, there's one or two others only that can't see it. Most can....!

redrus

Well to that i say <deleted> AND ARSE :D Sorry back on topic, it seems as though you cant cheat on the vote, tried voting loads of times and it wont let me.

Can you not just keep opening it as new page then re-vote....?

redrus

Well I've voted, but then Im a maybe! Never could make up my mind, like sitting on the fence but its very uncomfortable :o

I think I quite like your red cross avatar, but then again I'm not so sure? :D

TBWG :D:D