Apple Pie, The Butter Question

johna

When making apple pie you are advised to cut the butter into 1cm cubes and keeping it cold mix with the flour, so my question is does the butter have to completely melt and blend with the flour or do you just quickly mix the 2 leaving the butter in its 1cm cube form and then add the cold water.

thanks

The butter definitely should not melt! But it should be blended with the flour. How you blend it depends on the type of crust you are making. If an english short crust, then it should be blended into buttery crumbs. If a French pate brisee, then you will want to stop when the butter pieces are pea-sized. It's best to chill the flour before you make the crust. And use ice water. If you've got air conditioning in the room, turn that on too.

• Like 2

I have watched youtube videos of this and it does not make sense unless you are using a food blender,

how do you turn 1cm cubes of butter and flour and into something that looks like breadcrumbs, at the same time keeping everything cold.

Obviously it can be done but I don't understand the process.

My grandmother would bake apple pie back in the day when refrigerators were unheard of so there has to be some practical solution to making decent apple pie.

I have watched youtube videos of this and it does not make sense unless you are using a food blender,

how do you turn 1cm cubes of butter and flour and into something that looks like breadcrumbs, at the same time keeping everything cold.

My grandmother would bake apple pie back in the day when refrigerators were unheard of so there has to be some practical solution to making decent apple pie.

Use a fork, you are not blending or stirring as much you are crushing the cold butter into the flour and it will form the breadcrumbs.

Start off with the cold butter on the side of your bowl and keep incorporating more flour, you have to be fast so the butter doesn't melt.

I realise this vid he is using a food processor but he makes the point your hands will melt the butter, you'll see the final result.

Edit: I said side of the bowl make sure there is flour under the butter so the butter doesn't stick to the bowl. I think pastry chefs will say put the butter in the middle of the flour however I find it faster and easier on the side.

Edited by WilliaminBKK

Your grandmother probably used lard.

Actually you can do it with your fingers. Just use your fingertips. And if you put the flour and the mixing bowl in the freezer beforehand that helps too. If the butter starts to get too soft, just put the mixture back in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and then continue.

OK thanks,

just read a recipe that recommends grating cold butter into the flour, but the fork method also looks good.

I made an apple pie on Sunday, to much sugar but apart from that not bad for my first try.

If you freeze the butter, it will work even better. There is also a hand held tool called a pastry blender which is basically 5 parallel blades attached to a handle. That's a lot easier than the fork method.

When I lived in Europe I made some of the best pastry. After moving to Thailand it seemed to flop everytime.

One of the secrets is working fast so that the butter stays cold. Don't overwork the pastry.

I moved on from using my fingers (rubbing flour and butter together gently) to using a metal gadget that slices into the butter and flour. Sorry I have no idea what it's called.

Now I bake perfect pastry again.

The larger the pieces of butter left, the flakier the pastry.

I've just bought a food processor and am learning to use it.

Oh, try experimenting with the different brands of butter and flour.

Rather than using a fork or a fancy gadget, use a pair of table knives. Knife in each hand, cut using a scissor-type action. This avoids compressing the pastry, which a fork will do, making it hard. Better than using your fingertips if you're inexperienced and/or have warm hands.

And definitely keep everything as cool as you can; I find it difficult to make good pastry without the aircon on for a good hour beforehand to cool not only the air, but also the work surfaces.

Chill the pastry after making it and before rolling it for at least 20 minutes. (Longer if it's a big ball.)