Opticians

Sydneycraig

They all have the latest eye check equipment. Just have to hope the optician knows how to use it. Plenty of the big optician chains in the busy resort areas. Just have a check at the ones near your hotel/home. Myself, I go into Phuket Town and use one of the old established independents on the one way street going into the water canon roundabout. I use Washington Optic.

• Like 1

They all have the latest eye check equipment. Just have to hope the optician knows how to use it. Plenty of the big optician chains in the busy resort areas. Just have a check at the ones near your hotel/home. Myself, I go into Phuket Town and use one of the old established independents on the one way street going into the water canon roundabout. I use Washington Optic.

There is a difference between an optician and an optometrist. If you want it done right, find an optometrist, which is a doctor. Opticians have very little training. In most of these tourist shops they employ opticians and use auto-refractor machines ("the latest equipment") which are cheap (usually free if you buy glasses) but I found to be far from accurate. I had to return the glasses last time I used an optician and an auto-refractor. Best bet for an optometrist is one of the big hospitals.

There is also such a thing as an opthamologists who care for the health of eyes.

Click here for information on optometrists in Phuket. ---> http://bit.ly/XggcO7

------

I was having eye problems so I went to see an optimist. He told me everything was going to be fine.

Edited by NomadJoe

Opticians are masters of lenses.

Optometrists (O.D.) have attended a four year post graduate optometry school.

Ophthalmologists (MD) are actual medical doctors and generally are attached to hospitals/clinics. They have attended medical school and completed a residency in Ophthalmology.

The independents are definitely better value for money. I go to Somsak Optic on the same road - always great service.

Most of the chains here cannot help you unless you have a fairly standard vision problem...My best advice is to go to Dr Kanokwan's Clinic in Samkong, Phuket Town, just south or the Samkong bridge on Yaowarat Road northbound (just north of Bangkok Hospital, near the CP minimart)...Very popular with the locals; not so much with tourists...so be prepared to wait...I don't remember the exact hours but believe it is open most weeknights

Most of the chains here cannot help you unless you have a fairly standard vision problem...My best advice is to go to Dr Kanokwan's Clinic in Samkong, Phuket Town, just south or the Samkong bridge on Yaowarat Road northbound (just north of Bangkok Hospital, near the CP minimart)...Very popular with the locals; not so much with tourists...so be prepared to wait...I don't remember the exact hours but believe it is open most weeknights

Another excellent eye clinic is near the clock circle in Phuket Town. From the clock circle (next to the tall Metropole Hotel), take the road to Sapin Hin (that's the road that goes past Immigration Office). From the clock circle the Eye Clinic is about the 4th shop on left. The owner has been my optometrist for these past 16 years and I recommend him. Does not look a very glamorous place, but the owner really knows what he is doing. Impressed me all those years ago when I walked in and he easily diagnosed my problem without me telling him.