35-Year-Old British Tourist Kills Self At Koh Samui Shooting Range

Could that be because writing a note makes many potential victims change their minds?

Didn't see this before.

I'm sure that's sometimes the case. Sometimes what's going on in them is an intensely personal thing and they have no wish to share it. Sometimes they feel they would't be able to explain themselves. Sometimes they may feel they have no one to share it with. Sometimes...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let's see... not a single hint in the report why this poor man killed himself.... but the majority of the posters here "knows" that it's either a Thai woman who scammed him or the Thai culture shock...

speculations over speculations... how about

- him in divorce at home and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

- him being deadly ill and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

Or even better... stop to speculate and just say Rest in Peace!

We speculate because we get our information from Thai media and we also know how slanted that news is. Slanted meaning, the true is withheld or just flat out hidden. Thailand worries about it's tourism, So we are left to speculate with our collective experience. Isn't that what this forum is about? To help each other overcome the pitfalls of being a foreigner in Thailand?

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 2

It amazes me how this place gets to so many people. Is this place such a dead end that these people think they have no other option? I would guess there is a woman at the core of this.

It amazes me how so many people make assumptions based on so little. And how many don't understand the concepts of causality and correlation (ie because people commit suicide in Thailand it doesn't mean they commit suicide because of Thailand or wouldn't have done so in another place.)

Having said that, this place does get to people and I can see why. It doesn't surprise me a bit that some of them are to weak to survive it (not sure it's "so many").

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Why do you say 'weak' ?

I would have thought it obvious, even if one doesn't agree.

By "weak" I mean lacking sufficient strength to overcome whatever psychic pain and turmoil one is facing. When we speak of how the country gets to people, we are obviously excluding those who commit suicide for reasons of terminal illness etc who have made a decision that is based on reason and arguably courage and strength.

And for the record: I've lost a loved one to suicide. I myself have been despondent and in dire enough straits to contemplate it. I honestly don't feel I am being unfairly judgmental when I say that someone is weak if the kill themselves rather than pick themselves up and carry on in the face of tremendous hardship - as many of us do. We are all weak sometimes, it doesn't mean they are bad people.

I certainly do not agree with your point of view. If the subject of suicide, or depression is your area of expertise, please, do enlighten me.

If it is not your area of expertise, I personally feel you have no right to make a statement like this.

Now let's see... not a single hint in the report why this poor man killed himself.... but the majority of the posters here "knows" that it's either a Thai woman who scammed him or the Thai culture shock...

- him in divorce at home and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

- him being deadly ill and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

We speculate because we get our information from Thai media and we also know how slanted that news is. Slanted meaning, the true is withheld or just flat out hidden. Thailand worries about it's tourism, So we are left to speculate with our collective experience. Isn't that what this forum is about? To help each other overcome the pitfalls of being a foreigner in Thailand?

So you think there is "collective experience" when a 35y old British tourist comes to Thailand and decides to put a bullet in his brain? I very much doubt that...

And you think speculations about that death will help anybody overcoming pitfalls that you have no idea whether they have been true for this guy? I very much doubt that...

I would not have my comment (I would not have made none at all), if it would have been a 6xy old foreign retireee jumping / falling off a balcony in what ever town of his choosing... there yes, the comments and speculations might be valid, but even then I would doubt that their is any "collective experience" giving any valuable advice to anybody...

• Like 2

I certainly do not agree with your point of view. If the subject of suicide, or depression is your area of expertise, please, do enlighten me.

If it is not your area of expertise, I personally feel you have no right to make a statement like this.

Your personal feelings are frankly irrelevant in this instance. I have a right to make any statement I like. Just as you have the right to disagree with it. I'm astonished that you would be so presumptuous as to think otherwise.

Feel free to tell me why you disagree -- I'd welcome another point of view -- but with all due respect I'm not the least bit interested in hearing what you think I can and can't say (unless you are a Mod).

Are we sure it was sucide we know how the police here jump to conclusions. maybe the staff did him in, in a plot to take all of his valuables and he fought back and they had to finish him off.

So in your world view, all Thai are potential criminals, thieves and murderers and the police is of course incapable and not interested in this, as it is "only" a foreigner???

As I already had a post deleted by the Mod, I probably should not say what I think...

Also, the poor employee who had to witness this gruesome sight, when he's probably just working a low-paying job.

He doesn't look too shook up in the picture. Savouring his few minutes of fame? And why the pointed finger? Could anybody not know that was the corpse?

This is the 3rd such case that I know of that has occurred recently so I have to wonder if it's a "copycat" suicide. It's hard to imagine what could drive anyone to commit such an act but then suicide must be one of the most common causes of death among foreigners in Thailand (although not usually under such dramatic circumstances). Of course some people are naturally more predisposed to suicide and let's face it, Thailand does attract a lot of desperate types.

I think that most problems on this forum is that presumption is hidden under the umbrella of speculation..

• Like 1

Indeed a very sad case..... and no one can imagin why a man in some prime , with some affluence eg 150 quids in bin, driving a motor on an island paradise, should want to end his life... silly speculation as usual from bored knowitalls..... what a climax to this poor mans life... an obitury conjured up by Tvisa jokers.....shame on you ... shut up ... including Me... rip.

Edited by Rooo
font & size
  • Like 2

Your personal feelings are frankly irrelevant in this instance. I have a right to make any statement I like. Just as you have the right to disagree with it. I'm astonished that you would be so presumptuous as to think otherwise.

Feel free to tell me why you disagree -- I'd welcome another point of view -- but with all due respect I'm not the least bit interested in hearing what you think I can and can't say (unless you are a Mod).

Fair enough, however the question I posed was 'Is this your area of expertise? For me, I also have witnessed similar at first hand, saw devasting results. No one

ever used the term 'weak' though. I made a point of researching the topic. So, have you researched or is it your area of expertise? In another comment on this

topic, you did say you researched. Of course it is your choice to keep that info to yourself.

Of course some people are naturally more predisposed to suicide and let's face it, Thailand does attract a lot of desperate types.

Here comes another Thailand and suicide expert in his first post ever....

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

As a foreigner in Thailand you can never amount to much. That can be a bit soul destroying

after ten years or so. That's when you have to relaunch oneself in the light your insignificance in Thai society. You don't have a gun so you think on.

One day you realize that you really want to go home. You cannot because your investments in Thailand is not recoverable. That's when you realize that houses back home are unaffordable.

It's not really a trap but it strong is an incentive to stay.

• Like 2

As a foreigner in Thailand you can never amount to much. That can be a bit soul destroying

after ten years or so. That's when you have to relaunch oneself in the light your insignificance in Thai society. You don't have a gun so you think on.

One day you realize that you really want to go home. You cannot because your investments in Thailand is not recoverable. That's when you realize that houses back home are unaffordable.

It's not really a trap but it strong is an incentive to stay.

Fair enough, however the question I posed was 'Is this your area of expertise? For me, I also have witnessed similar at first hand, saw devasting results. No one

ever used the term 'weak' though. I made a point of researching the topic. So, have you researched or is it your area of expertise? In another comment on this

topic, you did say you researched. Of course it is your choice to keep that info to yourself.

If you are asking whether I am a metal health professional, I am not. I have done research and I have done volunteer work -- but I don't think that's is even especially pertinent. My comments are based on a personal viewpoint and outlook on life and human nature formed after 50 years of seeing it in lots of extremes.

Did you read my whole post? Are you taking into consideration the context in which I used "weak" and what I said about weakness? I can see why the word might bother some people who lost someone to suicide and if I've been insensitive to that, I apologize. Perhaps I unconsciously and wrongly presumed a right to be so casually frank because of having experienced seeing someone I love die by their own hand. But I maintain that to be called weak, isn't an inherently pejorative thing -- I repeat, we are all weak at times. Sometimes, for some people, it's to a fatal degree.

So, I've answered your question (I hope); how about responding to my invitation to specify why you don't agree?

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 2

would have thought he would have left a suicide note somewhere if he planned to do this or maybe a moment of madness implusive dicession who knows.

would have to check his phone i suppose to see if he had any bad news or problems

The clear majority of suicides do NOT leave notes. Studies have shown (and logic would indicate) that there are many reasons why someone would not leave a note and by no means is it always the due to the act being an impulsive one.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

As an ex police officer,I can tell you about 90% of suicides DO leave notes,where do you get your facts,another expert!

Where do I get my facts? From research -- though I haven't claimed to be the expert that you apparently see yourself as.

In 2005, Gelder, Mayou, and Geddes concluded it was about 1 in 6 that left a note. Another researcher (Dr. Leenaars - who is internationally renowned for his work in suicide prevention and his study of suicide) estimates it ranges from 12 - 37% of suicides that leave a note. Dr. Howard Rosenthal says it's between 15 - 25%. Other research indicates it's 25 - 33%.

I've never seen anything anywhere near 90% -- and it defies logic -- but if you can show me some evidence of my error, I'd be pleased to know of it.

Right on !

If you are asking whether I am a metal health professional, I am not. I have done research and I have done volunteer work -- but I don't think that's is even especially pertinent. My comments are based on a personal viewpoint and outlook on life and human nature formed after 50 years of seeing it in lots of extremes.

Did you read my whole post? Are you taking into consideration the context in which I used "weak" and what I said about weakness? I can see why the word might bother some people who lost someone to suicide and if I've been insensitive to that, I apologize. Perhaps I unconsciously and wrongly presumed a right to be so casually frank because of having experienced seeing someone I love die by their own hand. But I maintain that to be called weak, isn't an inherently pejorative thing -- I repeat, we are all weak at times. Sometimes, for some people, it's to a fatal degree.

So, I've answered your question (I hope); how about responding to my invitation to specify why you don't agree?

Yes, I did read all of your point.

You don't make clear that the research you refer to is based on this subject. I did.

I researched the topic, given my experience. I disagree based on that research. Lots in the medicl profession refer to 'Illness'

rather than 'weak'

• Like 1

Permanent solution to a temporary problem...

RIP

Yep, every ime I contemplate suicide, I go get a Massage with a happy ending and forget about it for two days, the do it all over again.........its worked so far........thumbsup.gif

and yes, I am making light of the situation - I am a selfish b@stid - there is NOTHING I feel so strongly about that would make ME want to hurt ME - so when I finally meet my demise, you can bet a million baht it wasn't suicide.

You don't make clear that the research you refer to is based on this subject. I did.

I researched the topic, given my experience. I disagree based on that research. Lots in the medicl profession refer to 'Illness'

rather than 'weak'

Perhaps it's just semantics you 2 are going back and forth about. I wouldn't qualify 'illness' as a strength (unless you're a savant)...And being ill often goes hand-in-hand with 'weak'.

• Like 1

rather than 'weak'

I've not the slightest doubt that sometimes people are genuinely ill and incapable of making sound choices. If I was remiss in not including them, I apologize. I also feel some people are just not strong enough.

Of course doctors et al aren't going to use a term like "weak"! For obvious reasons -- it's not clinical and it seems subjective and judgmental. I never claimed or implied that my comment was some sort of medical opinion or in line with that of medical professionals.

You still haven't given me a single bit of YOUR view or why mine is wrong.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's just semantics you 2 are going back and forth about. I wouldn't qualify 'illness' as a strength (unless you're a savant)...And being ill often goes hand-in-hand with 'weak'.

I largely agree. I have a reason for using the word "weak" but I think that is what he might be objecting to -- the word itself. (And I can understand that.)