35-Year-Old British Tourist Kills Self At Koh Samui Shooting Range

Where do I get my facts? From research --

Well, someone who actually researches somewhere other than wikipedia, congratulations.

How would you know, that the "research" was not (also) related with -Wikipedia- whistling.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not live in Thailand currently, but I have in the past. I married a local girl in Huay Kwang who worked at a seafood restaurant, and then moved to Isaan with her for 2 years. I was what some people may call a "loser" in the West. If, by that, a "loser" is someone who is not overly successful. I have a degree, I am a published author, and I am nice to small animals and children though. When I "ran to Thailand", I followed me wherever I went. New geography changed nothing in my life. It is true--once reality kicks in, and you realize that a poor country girl is primarily with you for money, and not your heart/artistic/intellectual qualities, then the illusion is often popped.

Now I am older and wiser. I still LOVE Thailand and the people, but my view is more pragmatic. The main reason I plan to retire to LOS, is that I can live there and write for a fraction of what it costs me to live in the USA. I no longer go there to be with "LBFM's" as they are often called. In fact, being with bargirls now often leaves me feeling empty and isolated. If anything, I have formed better relationships with other expat women that I have met in LOS. I speak Thai and Isaan and that has gone a long way for me, but I am still illiterate (something I wish to remedy by going to school on a student visa). Often times, I find myself isolated and lonely in BKK, but the daily adventure and exotic qualities of the city override my misery back home.

In some strange way, I am happy that I lived in BKK on a moderate income. If I had millions, I am sure I would have bought my ex-GF everything she asked for (land, car, house, you name it) then been depressed when it all ended after I gave so much. I never felt used because I didn't have much to give in the first place--although that led her to find a better suitor. Can't say I blame her (she was beautiful and needed to find her Bill Gates/Brad Pitt before her looks faded).

But I never even considered suicide. I have a son and a family that loves me. That would cause too much damage to their lives if I checked out of this world.

There is a saying that "Hell has no bottom". There is always something worse. I am so fortunate to have food, shelter, books to read, decent health, and a modicum of affection every now and then. Maybe I have low standards, but I have so much more than other people who have nothing. That makes me grateful and appreciative of this lifetime.

So, while it's true that the illusion wears off eventually, I hope people will never let their disillusionment make them do something this drastic again. Thailand really needs to address this issue. Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death of foreigners traveling abroad (according to US statistics). Maybe they are afraid of it adding too much gloom to the "land of smiles".

• Like 2

I do not live in Thailand currently, but I have in the past. I married a local girl in Huay Kwang who worked at a seafood restaurant, and then moved to Isaan with her for 2 years. I was what some people may call a "loser" in the West. If, by that, a "loser" is someone who is not overly successful. I have a degree, I am a published author, and I am nice to small animals and children though. When I "ran to Thailand", I followed me wherever I went. New geography changed nothing in my life. It is true--once reality kicks in, and you realize that a poor country girl is primarily with you for money, and not your heart/artistic/intellectual qualities, then the illusion is often popped.

Now I am older and wiser. I still LOVE Thailand and the people, but my view is more pragmatic. The main reason I plan to retire to LOS, is that I can live there and write for a fraction of what it costs me to live in the USA. I no longer go there to be with "LBFM's" as they are often called. In fact, being with bargirls now often leaves me feeling empty and isolated. If anything, I have formed better relationships with other expat women that I have met in LOS. I speak Thai and Isaan and that has gone a long way for me, but I am still illiterate (something I wish to remedy by going to school on a student visa). Often times, I find myself isolated and lonely in BKK, but the daily adventure and exotic qualities of the city override my misery back home.

In some strange way, I am happy that I lived in BKK on a moderate income. If I had millions, I am sure I would have bought my ex-GF everything she asked for (land, car, house, you name it) then been depressed when it all ended after I gave so much. I never felt used because I didn't have much to give in the first place--although that led her to find a better suitor. Can't say I blame her (she was beautiful and needed to find her Bill Gates/Brad Pitt before her looks faded).

But I never even considered suicide. I have a son and a family that loves me. That would cause too much damage to their lives if I checked out of this world.

There is a saying that "Hell has no bottom". There is always something worse. I am so fortunate to have food, shelter, books to read, decent health, and a modicum of affection every now and then. Maybe I have low standards, but I have so much more than other people who have nothing. That makes me grateful and appreciative of this lifetime.

So, while it's true that the illusion wears off eventually, I hope people will never let their disillusionment make them do something this drastic again. Thailand really needs to address this issue. Suicide is the 4th leading cause of death of foreigners traveling abroad (according to US statistics). Maybe they are afraid of it adding too much gloom to the "land of smiles".

We have no idea why this amn did this and until we do speculation is pointless. It may have nothing to do with Thailand per se, just he committed suicide here.

How is Thailand supposed to address this problem?

Get TOT to add a bit of extra info informing potential suicides to stay at home.

Most of what you wrote makes sense but this is not a Thai problem.

We have no idea why this amn did this and until we do speculation is pointless. It may have nothing to do with Thailand per se, just he committed suicide here.

Get TOT to add a bit of extra info informing potential suicides to stay at home.

Just in case you haven't been keeping up with the news, farang's commit suicide in Thailand all the time. Something like 4 this week already. "Balcony diving" has become almost a joke. So while it is not a "Thai problem" per se, it is happening in Thailand in a lot--

What will the Thais do? Probably nothing.

Maybe fellow expats can do something...I am looking into setting up a suicide prevention website/hotline for expats living in Thailand on my own. If anyone would like to contribute--please PM me while I am brainstorming. Something needs to be done other than sit back and wait for the next headline.

At least that's what my own heart is telling me.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

Just in case you haven't been keeping up with the news, farang's commit suicide in Thailand all the time. Something like 4 this week already. "Balcony diving" has become almost a joke. So while it is not a "Thai problem" per se, it is happening in Thailand in a lot--

What will the Thais do? Probably nothing.

Maybe fellow expats can do something...I am looking into setting up a suicide prevention website/hotline for expats living in Thailand on my own. If anyone would like to contribute--please PM me while I am brainstorming. Something needs to be done other than sit back and wait for the next headline.

At least that's what my own heart is telling me.

Several people are talking about this, on another forum regarding the death of a 42 yr old man in Pattaya.

Maybe you could contact them.

I agree with you this seems to be happening all the more, or it is just reported more, not sure.

Is it because of Thailand or do they have problems before arriving? Again don't know.

What you are thinking about is an honourable thing.

I guess it would have to be on a voluntary basis, work permits etc.

• Like 1

Ok, for what it's worth. I set up this BASIC Facebook page for suicide prevention until I can get something more solid down. Im not a therapist, but I get what expats are going through when they are down. Maybe I'll get flamed for doing this, but I'm following my heart,, and what little brain capacity I have. I need 30 "likes" to track progress on the page. Any contributions would help. If you would like to be an admin on the page--PM me.

It's the holiday's and I don't want to wait for the next headline. I know FB is cheesy but it's a start. There was NOTHING out there on the whole web that I could find in this area, so it's at least something.

Any constructive ideas are welcome.

here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/ThailandSuicidePrevention?ref=hl

• Like 2

It amazes me how this place gets to so many people. Is this place such a dead end that these people think they have no other option? I would guess there is a woman at the core of this.

It amazes me how so many people make assumptions based on so little. And how many don't understand the concepts of causality and correlation (ie because people commit suicide in Thailand it doesn't mean they commit suicide because of Thailand or wouldn't have done so in another place.)

Having said that, this place does get to people and I can see why. It doesn't surprise me a bit that some of them are to weak to survive it (not sure it's "so many").

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Why do you say 'weak' ?

I noticed that as well but I don't think it was meant in the derogatory way that I first assumed.

I don't know the background to this but it may be that there were problems before he came to Thailand. I don't even know how long he'd been here or if he had friends and family. If he was alone here or maybe with a Thai woman he may have felt isolated compared to how he would be back in the UK.

R.I.P. anyway

No. it wasn't meant a derogatory. First of all let's look at context:

A post from someone else said, "It amazes me how this place gets to so many people. Is this place such a dead end that these people think they have no other option?"

The post bothered me because of the presumption that the poor guy i the OP and others take this drastic measure because of something that happened here rather than serious and already extant issues (mental health, debilitating or terminal illness, massive debt, who knows?) So I mentioned that such assumptions were unjustified.

However, I do believe that there can be for many people a harsh reality in Thailand that some people are unable to withstand once confronted with it. The vast majority may get hurt by it, maybe even permanently changed by it, but carry on with their lives. A few perhaps do not or feel they can not. They lack that capacity to summon up whatever it takes to carry on through a very dark time to get to the other side. At that one point in their life, they lack sufficient strength.

All of that was in reference to someone whose decision was due to something that has happened to them here. It was excluding people who have chosen death because of mental illness, clinical depression due to chemical imbalances, or some other situation where many would agree or understand with their choice.

And I'd also like to point out one more time: everyone is weak at times. Sometimes people lash out at someone else in a moment of weakness, sometimes people break down, and sometimes people break down and lash out at themselves. Humans are capable of unfathomable strength and courage. But even then strongest and most courageous is still human and is sometimes vulnerable and not as strong as they want to be or need to be. They have a moment of weakness. It's not an ugly thing or an evil thing. It's being human.

For those who love a person who commits suicide, it's often a waking nightmare (I speak with some authority on this) and they have my deepest sympathies. For the person who ha done away with themselves -- my personal belief is that they are no longer suffering or in need of sympathy.

I appreciate your input but your response sounds more like an analysis from someone that has a background in theory which apparently pushes one to go on and on and repeat ones self. It just sounds like air.

Now let's see... not a single hint in the report why this poor man killed himself.... but the majority of the posters here "knows" that it's either a Thai woman who scammed him or the Thai culture shock...

speculations over speculations... how about

- him in divorce at home and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

- him being deadly ill and decided to spend few happy days in warm weather and then commit suicide

Or even better... stop to speculate and just say Rest in Peace!

Yes, well said Swiss 1960, not just warm weather but a few last days in paradise might also have some bearing. In the UK its a little difficult to commit suicide as its harder to get your hands on a gun. However it would appear to be relatively easy here with guys ready and willing to show you how to load and aim it. RIP

The young man has been officially I dentified & the relevant authorities have jst been notified. His family have been notified.

So please have some respect when posting.

• Like 1

Ok, for what it's worth. I set up this BASIC Facebook page for suicide prevention until I can get something more solid down. Im not a therapist, but I get what expats are going through when they are down. Maybe I'll get flamed for doing this, but I'm following my heart,, and what little brain capacity I have. I need 30 "likes" to track progress on the page. Any contributions would help. If you would like to be an admin on the page--PM me.

It's the holiday's and I don't want to wait for the next headline. I know FB is cheesy but it's a start. There was NOTHING out there on the whole web that I could find in this area, so it's at least something.

here is the link: http://www.facebook....evention?ref=hl

Khun Paen: While your idea and initiative is certainly commendable, I am sorry to say that IMHO you will not reach anything and anybody...

First you need to make such a page widely know... second have 7x24 ecudated personnel available on the phone ... or do you reall think somebody who is thinking about suicide is going to search the Internet for Suicide Prevention websites and sending you a mail and waiting for you to call back when you see it?

And your message is wrong... Suicide is not 100% preventable... the only valid message I would see is "suicide is not the right solution" or something equal, i.e. "There are better ways out than suicide"... to start making the people think about options...

And finally... when somebody is reaching the point where he thinks about suidice, then the ONLY ones that can help are the people around him who notice the depression / status of that person and start to talk with him... or an easy available and know short phone number (i.e. in Switzerland state supported Switzerland wide telephone number 143... with EXPERIENCED personnel available 7x24!!!

Sorry to say, but your effort will only be worth comforting your own conscience that you tried to do something... but in reality you dont' do nothing with that facebook page

That is my personal thoughts which everybody is free to object to.

A post from someone else said, "It amazes me how this place gets to so many people. Is this place such a dead end that these people think they have no other option?"

The post bothered me because of the presumption that the poor guy i the OP and others take this drastic measure because of something that happened here rather than serious and already extant issues (mental health, debilitating or terminal illness, massive debt, who knows?) So I mentioned that such assumptions were unjustified.

However, I do believe that there can be for many people a harsh reality in Thailand that some people are unable to withstand once confronted with it. The vast majority may get hurt by it, maybe even permanently changed by it, but carry on with their lives. A few perhaps do not or feel they can not. They lack that capacity to summon up whatever it takes to carry on through a very dark time to get to the other side. At that one point in their life, they lack sufficient strength.

All of that was in reference to someone whose decision was due to something that has happened to them here. It was excluding people who have chosen death because of mental illness, clinical depression due to chemical imbalances, or some other situation where many would agree or understand with their choice.

And I'd also like to point out one more time: everyone is weak at times. Sometimes people lash out at someone else in a moment of weakness, sometimes people break down, and sometimes people break down and lash out at themselves. Humans are capable of unfathomable strength and courage. But even then strongest and most courageous is still human and is sometimes vulnerable and not as strong as they want to be or need to be. They have a moment of weakness. It's not an ugly thing or an evil thing. It's being human.

For those who love a person who commits suicide, it's often a waking nightmare (I speak with some authority on this) and they have my deepest sympathies. For the person who ha done away with themselves -- my personal belief is that they are no longer suffering or in need of sympathy.

Good post Steelejoe.

Suicide is an emotional subject for many and the people who were involved in the life of the suicider are often forgotten.

Some people are private. They have no need to share their feelings. Death is a personal experience.

Not a bad way to go. Would know nothing about it. Painless - Except for emotions.

R.I.P.

I once saw a documentary about a man who wanted to kill himself with a shotgun but missed his brain and blew the front of his face and head off and he survived. He wasn't pretty.

But he was glad that he survived ....

Good post Steelejoe.

Suicide is an emotional subject for many and the people who were involved in the life of the suicider are often forgotten.

i am sorry but if someone walked into my work shop and picked up a spanner and smashed someone to death with it and walked out i would not be happy

taking your own life or taking someone elses life is the same thing.

i might feel bad one day and instead of killing myself i kill someone else. it is exactly the same.

HE should have thought about his family before he did it.

I am sorry if people do not share my opinion or think i am being disrepectfull but it is what it is .

I suppose now if i was the owner of the shooting range i might be worried that tourists might bot want to come to a shooting range as they may find it dangerous.

i do not like this because people like this are the reason why tehy toughen up rules and regulations to gun laws

Which in England are messed becaue of a few people

i might feel bad one day and instead of killing myself i kill someone else. it is exactly the same.

How is that the same thing BIgC?

do you want me to explain maths to you also. it is not hard to work out. killing is killing

be it yourself or someone else.

if you killed yourself by accident or killed someone else by accident then it is accidental death but killing yourself or someone else if still murder in some countries it isa bit of a contridiction but the pentaly for attempting to kill yourself is begin charged with attepted murder.

so if you compare a shooting range to any business. for example a car garage, a customer walks in to the garage and purposed drops a car on his head. do you think that is right or wrong.

fortuanlty for thailand they donot have these stupid nanny laws that we have back in england but if this happened back home then the already tight law on hand guns would eb even tighter and they would close shooting ranges due to one person acting in a irrisponable way.

i am sorry but i would say these thongs to the victim;s familiy's face just as i would say them on here. i do not thinki am being wrong but obviously when there is emotion involved then right or wrong gets thrown out the window.

My ex girl friend in the UK killed her self and at first i was up set then later i was angry with her as no one forced her to do this. left behinde 3 sisters a brother and mum and dad whos lives are now in bits

here is the link: http://www.facebook....evention?ref=hl

Khun Paen: While your idea and initiative is certainly commendable, I am sorry to say that IMHO you will not reach anything and anybody...

First you need to make such a page widely know... second have 7x24 ecudated personnel available on the phone ... or do you reall think somebody who is thinking about suicide is going to search the Internet for Suicide Prevention websites and sending you a mail and waiting for you to call back when you see it?

And your message is wrong... Suicide is not 100% preventable... the only valid message I would see is "suicide is not the right solution" or something equal, i.e. "There are better ways out than suicide"... to start making the people think about options...

And finally... when somebody is reaching the point where he thinks about suidice, then the ONLY ones that can help are the people around him who notice the depression / status of that person and start to talk with him... or an easy available and know short phone number (i.e. in Switzerland state supported Switzerland wide telephone number 143... with EXPERIENCED personnel available 7x24!!!

Sorry to say, but your effort will only be worth comforting your own conscience that you tried to do something... but in reality you dont' do nothing with that facebook page

That is my personal thoughts which everybody is free to object to.

Yeah, I guess it was a bad idea. Why even try? Sure, just comforting myself. It will all amount to nothing. I think I will go kill myself now. Thanks.

Actually, I would like to make a serious response. Sure, maybe it does nothing. But, maybe someone sees it and it inspires them to make a proper page or start a real hotline. I said in my first post, that it was a "Start" until I can do something proper. Even if it is only awareness. Currently there is NOTHING out there for this problem. I am not doing this to make myself feel warm and fuzzy. I am not the activist type. Whatever Freudian breakdown you want to make of my motives--that's fine if you want to play Hannibal Lecter, but I am choosing to do something, rather than just comment on Thai Visa whenever another person jumps out of a window or blows his brains out. I know very little about setting up websites, or hotlines--but if you must know, I am talking to people about not only getting a proper page or organization set up, but putting my own money into doing so. So, thanks for your words of encouragement though. I appreciate the "advice". You think when AIDS first appeared, there was suddenly millions of people dying to help? It's gotta start somewhere--maybe you are the person to do it the proper way.

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 1

How is that the same thing BIgC?

do you want me to explain maths to you also. it is not hard to work out. killing is killing

be it yourself or someone else.

if you killed yourself by accident or killed someone else by accident then it is accidental death but killing yourself or someone else if still murder in some countries it isa bit of a contridiction but the pentaly for attempting to kill yourself is begin charged with attepted murder.

so if you compare a shooting range to any business. for example a car garage, a customer walks in to the garage and purposed drops a car on his head. do you think that is right or wrong.

fortuanlty for thailand they donot have these stupid nanny laws that we have back in england but if this happened back home then the already tight law on hand guns would eb even tighter and they would close shooting ranges due to one person acting in a irrisponable way.

i am sorry but i would say these thongs to the victim;s familiy's face just as i would say them on here. i do not thinki am being wrong but obviously when there is emotion involved then right or wrong gets thrown out the window.

My ex girl friend in the UK killed her self and at first i was up set then later i was angry with her as no one forced her to do this. left behinde 3 sisters a brother and mum and dad whos lives are now in bits

Your math seems fatally flawed BigC

There is a big difference between killing yourself and killing someone else.

Killing yourself, you are making your own choice, it is your own life and body to do with as you wish.

Killing someone else you are making a decision for them that they are not part of and do not consent to.

I'm going to go for women, money problems or both as a motive. R.I.P anyhow.

gee, if this is some sort of guessing game, I'd say it must be in the gun-restrictive British DNA, just can't quite grasp the idea of a personal firearm

As opposed to our American cousins who have a fantastic grasp on owning firearms,WAT.

gee, if this is some sort of guessing game, I'd say it must be in the gun-restrictive British DNA, just can't quite grasp the idea of a personal firearm

As opposed to our American cousins who have a fantastic grasp on owning firearms,WAT.

Exactly, we use firearms to cull the herd of the low life--a never ending continuum. It's not a perfect grasp, there are some adverse residual effects, but it is a fantastic grasp, it works. However, you missed my major point; I was referring to the very apparent penchant most of this forums' posters have for absolute, blatant, and unsubstantiated speculation on the cause or result of these news issues--that 'guessing game' to which I made reference.

I am completely disgusted at some of the comments and "reasons" posted on this forum.

Having known the deceased for some 18 years I can confirm that it wasn't women or money being the contributing factor to Zachs (I'll keep using this name, as reported to be his name when it clearly is not) death. I am as suprised, shocked and gutted as anyone to hear about this, especially as I was with him 2 days before he flew to Thailand.

I am in receipt of an email that states he was having a great time in Thailand, again. This, I believe, was his 4th solo journey over there. A man well used to travelling alone, well used to what the country had to offer and also of sound mind.

It berrates me to read what some have posted.....if only you knew him.

I understand it's very easy to say things toward someone that you're never likely to meet, that's the internet for you.

In all reality, "Zach" loved Thailand. It's a place where he could be himself and not be constrained by family values.

We, his friends and family, are all obviously completely gutted by this event, an awful awful occurance. The best we can do is to keep our chins up and be in the hope that this does not happen to someone elses child.

Be nice fellow posters, you wouldn't like it to happen to one of yours.

I miss you so much,

RIP S.R

Sorry for your loss

Edited by Rooo

Exactly, we use firearms to cull the herd of the low life--a never ending continuum. It's not a perfect grasp, there are some adverse residual effects, but it is a fantastic grasp, it works. However, you missed my major point; I was referring to the very apparent penchant most of this forums' posters have for absolute, blatant, and unsubstantiated speculation on the cause or result of these news issues--that 'guessing game' to which I made reference.

27 dead in another school massacre......just "adverse residual effects?" "a fantastic grasp??"