House Security?

Having got the keys to new house (outer bkk) the mrs first intention is to cover all doors and windows with grills like all the others making it look like a prison. As she is always saying how Thai can trust Thai I wonder why such precautions are necessary, just what are the chances of being burgled here?

Any tips on these screens would be appreciated as I am sure there must be a few pitfalls and different types. The type I would like are the concertina types that you can move right back to the side when at home, but not seen any here. The only ones I have seen are the decorative iron bar types that they fix in place making upstairs a death trap in case of fires. It seems to me the outer door grills are pretty useless as they are often secured with a padlock, surely the money would be better spent on a good mortice lock on the door itself? Obviously some security is needed as none of the windows lock, but the estate already looks like a vast prison with all the bars and grills, overkill or common sense?

A big loud dog is another option.............grills on the inside with the srewtops soldered, however many now gain entry through removing roof tiles...if all your neighbours have them and you dont, yours will be the first choice for any thief.

I think securing your perimeter in a way that a loud alarm goes off as soon as someone tries to enter your plot is a good idea.There are not too many professional thieves around here yet, and sounding an alarm when they are still clearly visible for the neighbourhood will scare them away.

A dog as the above posters says is also a good idea.

Dogs def not, did point out that if somebody really wants to get in the roof is quite easy. Good point about if all the other houses look like fort knox but yours does not where will they have a go at. Don't think the alarm is practical as they tend to get set off by other things annoying people

Dogs def not, did point out that if somebody really wants to get in the roof is quite easy. Good point about if all the other houses look like fort knox but yours does not where will they have a go at. Don't think the alarm is practical as they tend to get set off by other things annoying people

If you buy a decent alarm it will not be set off by other things.Of course a 350 Baht alarm will.

common sence, i have sensor lights, 3 dogs, contact alrams on the loft door way, iron grill on doors and windows. sounds like a prison i know but dont notice it and house is in countryside and no neighbours. End of the day what is takeable can be replaced for 20-30k so not the end of the world.

We have a home in an estate with 'guards', but that's very relative. Many neighbors have bars, but I find them ugly and don't want to live in a fire trap. You can set up motion sensor lights and security cameras. Bottom line, there's not much worth stealing. It can all be replaced. If someone burgles when we're home, my st. Louis slugger will paint the walls with their brains.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

My house in central Bangkok had those fixed grill/fences on all windows. I really hate them because you can not look out of the windows if it's not in horizontal view :-P And they are also old and screwed to the wall, it looks like you can kick them out without much effort (besides what is the point of screwing a fence? should be attached with concrete).

I could always copy an idea from my company: Put security camera cases in visible spots without actually having a camera inside LOL (the dark glasses ones, so no one can know if not told ;))

alarm on loft doorway is a good idea, not thought of that thanks. Where did you buy that?

Not too good an idea easy to cut through a gypsum ceiling leaving the loft doorway alone - to protect an attic a laser scanner covers everything and all corners

I do not have any grills,bars on my windows or doors, would much rather

be burgled than end up as a piece of toast because I could not get out

of the bedroom window in case of fire,think about it, property or your life?

But I do have several PIR alarms in the house,leave a radio on and the

fountain in the garden when we go out,just to make it seem like someone

is at home,

You just have to take any pro cations you can ,they can still get through

those grills,may take them 10mins, but for you in a fire running around

looking for a screwdriver,10 mins is too long, I also sleep with a machete

next to the bed ,in case of night stalkers,it pays to be prepared..no I am

not paranoid,just not stupid.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I decided to get 9mm laminated double glazed windows instead of ugly metal bars, as I figure it would take just as long to break a hole through that glass as it would to pry the bars off with a crowbar.

But unfortunately unless you want to replace all the windows this is probably not any option.

I do not have any grills,bars on my windows or doors, would much rather

be burgled than end up as a piece of toast because I could not get out

of the bedroom window in case of fire,think about it, property or your life?

But I do have several PIR alarms in the house,leave a radio on and the

fountain in the garden when we go out,just to make it seem like someone

is at home,

You just have to take any pro cations you can ,they can still get through

those grills,may take them 10mins, but for you in a fire running around

looking for a screwdriver,10 mins is too long, I also sleep with a machete

next to the bed ,in case of night stalkers,it pays to be prepared..no I am

not paranoid,just not stupid.

regards Worgeordie

How many concrete houses have you seen on fire in Thailand? What is flammable? And your machete, have you used one on a living creature never mind a human being? It is not easy and if you are n ot skilled, you may end up on the sharp end of your knife.

• Like 1