Western Union Blocking Transfers To Thailand?

I sent an western union online order from the US to my wife here and it says, " This money transfer was not approved. If you were charged for this money transfer, you will be automatically refunded.". What the hell? I have never seen such a message before.

I'm getting sick of this crap with american banking institutions. They're so "secure" they won't even me to withdraw my OWN money! Probably some terrorist bullslt. Annoy 100,000 customers to grab 1 terrorist or moneylaunder. What a joke that country has become.

Could it be due to your location when requesting the transfer? Suspect it is a WU security measure rather than any banking regulation. Did you use a local office or try to do online at US site? I see they have Thailand and Asia specific web sites so if doing from here expect they should be used. But have never used them so just a guess.

WU -- a large corporation -- makes a LOT of money off of transfers to Thailand. I'd be surprised if a stop would be put to that.

I'm not sure they are a "banking institution". And what security they do focus on is not limited to terrorism or money laundering but internet fraud and "romance scammers" (I've heard there may be a few of those here in Thailand).

WU -- a large corporation -- makes a LOT of money off of transfers to Thailand. I'd be surprised if a stop would be put to that.

I'm not sure they are a "banking institution". And what security they do focus on is not limited to terrorism or money laundering but internet fraud and "romance scammers" (I've heard there may be a few of those here in Thailand).

I sent money through the day before and it got sent but the same day I put in another transfer for a larger amount and it got blocked. Maybe they detected "fraud" on my account due to too many transfers in a short amount of time or some other silly reason and blocked it. I asked them but they refuse to tell me why. It's a big pile of nonsense if you ask me.

I sent money through the day before and it got sent but the same day I put in another transfer for a larger amount and it got blocked. Maybe they detected "fraud" on my account due to too many transfers in a short amount of time or some other silly reason and blocked it. I asked them but they refuse to tell me why. It's a big pile of nonsense if you ask me.

Think of it this way, they are doing you a favour, so you dont send all your money to your Thai GF becasue the buffalo is sick....biggrin.png

Think of it this way, they are doing you a favour, so you dont send all your money to your Thai GF becasue the buffalo is sick....biggrin.png

But, what if the buffalo really is sick? tongue.png

Actually, I stoped using western union many years ago beacuse of the problems I encountered with them making arbitary decisions regarding approving transfers. Even calling them provided no solution. They simply did not care that they were causing me problems.

Its working fine for me. I just had my parents Western Union money from my bank in Florida to home in Chiang Mai. No issues. $2,000 was sent without an issue and arrived a few minutes later. I think they do have a monthly limit though and I seem to remember when I tried to send $5,000 it was an issue but the agent in the States was saying it was a Thai law not a US one. Who knows. The smaller amounts seem to go through fine though.