Samoeng Loop Run

rene123

Friends had been telling me about this nice ride, and yesterday afternoon I indulged myself on a spur of the moment trip. I began the ride at the south end of town from the Hang Dong road. I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the scenic ride into the mountains on my little 125 scooter. There was no trouble at all and the scooter was fast enough in the hills. I just had to pull over and let tail gating vehicles pass me. I don't like vehicles following so close because if I make a mistake they won't have time to stop. And, they usually pass on blind corners.

The road was in good shape and with few pot holes. There were lots of hair pin turns in the hills, but none of the broken bits on the corners like there are on the Pie to Mae Hong Son road. I stopped in Samoeng for an ice cream at where else...... the 7-11 shop! Those shops seem to be the mainstay for all of Thailand. Beining way out in the "sticks", the village kind of surprised me by its size, and it has a hospital, a post office, and a big impressive bank. I saw a sign that says it is 170 km to Pie, so I imagine there is a route through the mountains to there. I'll save that for another trip.

The 30 km run from the junction near Samoeng (1269 & 1096) to hwy 107 (Mae Rim) was delightfull and mostly down hill. The only problem was late in the afternoon there was lots of traffic with the usual tail gating vehicles and everyone passing on blind corners. I tried to stay well back so as not to be involved with an accident. I just pulled over and let the faster vehicles pass me. The traffic from Mae Rim back to Chiang Mai was heavy, but the little scooter can sneek by all the stopped trucks and cars. All in all it was a great afternoon and I'll do it again. But, I'll start earlier and stop to take in more attractions.

With all due respect Rene123; your report sounded more like a traffic report than an enticing invitation for others to do the same......which in turn doesnt encourage.

did you have a map????...oops sorry women cant read maps.

I just wonder if you went somewhere else becasue it doesnt sound like the Samoeng loop i go on which includes:

driving past 3 or 4 elephant camps, at least one of which you can drive right in and touch the elephants; beautiful holiday resorts; strawberries everywhere in Samoeng, waterfalls, caves, drive past x centre; the queen sirikat gardens, monkey kingdom....and close to there a short detour to the royal project at Mae Jam an absolute must and jaw dropper.

and from my memory, I cant remember seeing a 7/11 as i was probably enjoying the beauty elsewhere.

Dont try an embark upon Pai, you will end up in Phrae

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 1

As I said, it was just a spur of the moment trip and I didn't leave myself enough time to see all that the area has to offer. I was only gone for about 3 or 4 hours. I usually try to stop and see as much as I can everywhere I go, but not on this trip. I have a friend who only likes to ride and he never stops for anything. If I stop for photos he is 10 km ahead of me. I also mentioned that I intend to take another trip there and start earlier to see more of what the area has to offer. Or, didn't you read that part of my intial report, and you only looked at the negative, as per usual for thaivisa.

• Like 2

As I said, it was just a spur of the moment trip and I didn't leave myself enough time to see all that the area has to offer. I was only gone for about 3 or 4 hours. I usually try to stop and see as much as I can everywhere I go, but not on this trip. I have a friend who only likes to ride and he never stops for anything. If I stop for photos he is 10 km ahead of me. I also mentioned that I intend to take another trip there and start earlier to see more of what the area has to offer. Or, didn't you read that part of my intial report, and you only looked at the negative, as per usual for thaivisa.

No it is more usual per eyecathcher.

He really doesn't know a lot so he can say a lot and if he is wrong he claims it is his humor.

I'm more like you Renee. Back in the states, I did a trip from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Page, Arizona near the Grand Canyon. Google Maps estimated that the trip would take about 6 hours. Unfortunately they don't do an estimate for photographers. With all the stops for pictures, it was closer to 12 hours. Never ride or drive with a photographer if you are in a hurry. biggrin.png

David

• Like 1

I'm more like you Renee. Back in the states, I did a trip from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Page, Arizona near the Grand Canyon. Google Maps estimated that the trip would take about 6 hours. Unfortunately they don't do an estimate for photographers. With all the stops for pictures, it was closer to 12 hours. Never ride or drive with a photographer if you are in a hurry. biggrin.png

David

Ain't that the truth. laugh.pngthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

No it is more usual per eyecathcher.

He really doesn't know a lot so he can say a lot and if he is wrong he claims it is his humor.

I really only objected to the "women can't read maps" crack. That may be true of many Thais, but it's not true of me. I used to spend my winters ski mountaineering in British Columbia, and I belonged to the local search and rescue team. I can carry a 40 pound pack in the mountains for a week and follow a compass bearing in the dark. I don't need to be told by some pipsqueak that I can't read a map. I could probably beat him in a street fight as well.

smile.png so glad you managed to put "laughter" in manslaughter.................time to retreat

• Like 1

I like the loop

Wanna go again I would be happy to go along

Try the caves too. Very nice stop along the way

I admit I have never seen a 7-11 on the ride past the start or end

The 7-11 is right in the village of Samoeng, and right across the road from the bank and the post office. It would be hard to miss if you go into the village.If you are just riding around the loop then you would miss Samoeng. Samoeng is about 5.5 km from the junction of 1269 and 1096. I believe most of the sights to see (Elephant park, waterfalls, etc) are along the 1096 route, up from Mae Rim and hwy 107.

To expand the Samoeng loop, go into Samoeng and go past the Samoeng Resort and keep to the left going to Mae Saap. Stop at the Mae Saap "bat cave". Upon arriving in Mae Saap, the main road takes a turn to the left, but proceed straight onto the smaller paved soi. That paved road leads to Pang Khum and Tung Ting. At the north end of Tung Ting there is a paved road to the right that leads to North Samoeng and Baan Na Faan. From there you can follow the road back south to Samoeng taking the right at the temple or go straight for a detour to the hot springs. Best to use the Gt-Rider Samoeng Loop map to find the left turn up to Mae Khi at Mae Pa and to use for future reference as there are many options for day trips around the Samoeng loop.

• Like 1

I like to do this loop at least onced a month see something different each time and no I donot look for elephant camps, monkey camps,and croc. camps we will leave those for the tourist. The 7 is in Sameong down the road from the market.