Why Is It Here So Different?

Crazy chef 1

there is one thing I really want to express.it is literaraly a pleasure and an exeption to read in the Issan forum.not too much bashing,interesting comments,real exchange of thoughts- what a forum supposed to be.why are the expats here so much more relaxed,involved in the culture, the life style and the way of understanding/tolerating a different culture? I count myself still as an newbie,just 2 1/2 years here permanently,but I stil would like to understand-why.if I browse in the other parts it is sometimes a shame/ disgusting to read comments are made- full of hate,racism,( felt)superiority and arronganz.why people are still living in this part of the world if everything is so bad.my assumption?cheap cost of living,cheap booz e,availability of company... I don't know.just would like to get your opinion .PS.pls. Keep the Issan forum as it is

• Like 1

Like you said - the Isaan forum reflects the way of life here & the 'other' forums reflect 'their way' - Having lived 'down south' on the farang island a majority of residents love the life style, but expect their home country ways of life. This is Thailand and you have to abide by there ways and I find a lot of people get frustrated by this, probably brought on with boredom & alcohol. Anyway Isaan is OK, chilled & relaxed

I'm living here for 10 years in lower north east. People are much different to those in the south/north etc..

Got a wonderful wife, her parents are farmers and I'm really accepted as a family member, not as an ATM machine.

I settled down here, because my wife's from here, started teaching English eight years ago and i really love what I'm doing. The kids' love means more to me than my salary.

I enjoy having a chat with locals and I couldn't live in Europe any more. "Isaan" is a nice place to live, I hate places like Pattaya, as this isn't Thailand.

Also the prettiest birds are from Isaan. It helps when you're able to speak their slang.Life could be worse.----wai2.gif

I'm living here for 10 years in lower north east. People are much different to those in the south/north etc..

Got a wonderful wife, her parents are farmers and I'm really accepted as a family member, not as an ATM machine.

I settled down here, because my wife's from here, started teaching English eight years ago and i really love what I'm doing. The kids' love means more to me than my salary.

I enjoy having a chat with locals and I couldn't live in Europe any more. "Isaan" is a nice place to live, I hate places like Pattaya, as this isn't Thailand.

Also the prettiest birds are from Isaan. It helps when you're able to speak their slang.Life could be worse.----wai2.gif

good that you can get to learn the slang.this is one thing hard to get. I dont see in many books.

Maybe you could think to start a thread on this, i would for sure follow it and like to know some also wink.png

good that you can get to learn the slang.this is one thing hard to get. I dont see in many books.

Maybe you could think to start a thread on this, i would for sure follow it and like to know some also wink.png

Guess you'll have to live here and talk to them. Called: "Learning by doing."--w00t.gif

Perhaps one factor is that the other places referred to, are much more focussed on catering for tourists and foreigeners which brings a higer number of them and consequently more dissatisfied people? I find where I live there are very few services that cater for farungs. Only Thai style hotels and guest houses, cannot buy real cheese or real bread, no foreign fast food joints, only one shop that sells the Nation/BKK Post - and always sold out of the few copies per day, only instant coffee at the one large 'supermarket' more like a warehouse selling moslty bulk packed items for village shops, no western restaurants, no bars playing covers of 70's 80's and 90's rock, no obvious raunchy night spots (well none that I have seen or been shown) - just a couple of places with a line up of male and female singers belting out Isaan hits of he blitz and of course a great desire to serve more beers and 'whisky' - and I must admit to enjoying some large parties at these places with the boat race team or football team after winning the finals! My sense is that the folks who decide to live here do not need to be entertained and stay because they have decided to make a commitment - to their partner/wife and embrace what the place has to offer - a tremendous amout as many have shared!

I think it is all about you do not want to waste your time on going through all the (stupid)farang opinions. Instead you prefer to be settled and safe in a trusted environment like the isarn forum.

I feel the same on that side.. Good statement you made, fellow.

If i was a hermit lobster i would prefer to stay in my shell. But i am not. wink.png Perhaps personally not ready for that...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I first came to Isaan in - get this - 1965. I taught English in Nongkhai Province, was the only Westerner in my district, and there were only 6-7 others in the whole district. Then I went to Sakol Nakon and worked with elementary school English teachers to improve their teaching methods. I fell in love with the Northeast from the very beginning, and that was back when there was no one around to tell me how good it was. People are much more easygoing, the pace of life relaxed, the slang is wonderful (I got tutored in this by my fellow teachers, like a pet dog they were teaching tricks to!) and they seem much more accepting of outsiders than elsewhere. So I'm with you on this. I've worked in the South, too, and lived for a long time in Bangkok, and Isaan is simply the best. Oddly, the people there are looked down on by many other groups in the society. Shame on them.

Speaking of Isaan language materials, go to Kinokuniya next time you're in a big city. There are some good materials there. Benjawan Becker - whose general Thai system I don't like - did put out one excellent CD and book on Northeastern Thai. So stuff is out there. Go for it. The language is the way in to this society, that's for sure.

Most of the expat community I interact with have jobs, a wife or husband, have a home etc. So we are living our lives like we would in the US, Canada, UK etc. I meet a few people looking for the trappings you might find in the tourist spots but for the most part it is just "life" for us.

It really does help if you can learn the language (isan - that is) or as I have mentioned once or twice pick up a Laos - English dictionary and if you live in towns closer to the border you may find it more useful.

My wife and her family speak mostly Laos (70%) and I find it more useful than my Thai. But that is just me. Taking the time to learn to speak read and write Thai will certainly make your life more enjoyable. Everything from reading menus, newspapers or even road signs can make your life a lot more enjoyable.

I first came to Isaan in - get this - 1965. I taught English in Nongkhai Province, was the only Westerner in my district, and there were only 6-7 others in the whole district. Then I went to Sakol Nakon and worked with elementary school English teachers to improve their teaching methods. I fell in love with the Northeast from the very beginning, and that was back when there was no one around to tell me how good it was. People are much more easygoing, the pace of life relaxed, the slang is wonderful (I got tutored in this by my fellow teachers, like a pet dog they were teaching tricks to!) and they seem much more accepting of outsiders than elsewhere. So I'm with you on this. I've worked in the South, too, and lived for a long time in Bangkok, and Isaan is simply the best. Oddly, the people there are looked down on by many other groups in the society. Shame on them.

Speaking of Isaan language materials, go to Kinokuniya next time you're in a big city. There are some good materials there. Benjawan Becker - whose general Thai system I don't like - did put out one excellent CD and book on Northeastern Thai. So stuff is out there. Go for it. The language is the way in to this society, that's for sure.

Interesting words and interesting story montrii, thanks for posting!!

I will look for the book and CD you did mention as i am in BK now. The Kinokuniya group have a very good branch at central Chaengwattana, seem to have many books other branch do not, and sometimes discounts even.

I know what you say about the way the mainstream do treat the Isaan people. Even i am told the people up in Chain Rai and Chain Mai way, yes the ones who have lighter skin (hmm) are like this towards their Isaan country cousins.Seem to have a general dislike or some distrust towards them. I dont know for sure but this is what my ex did say.

Strange they are like this, they like to think they are the hiso, but really who do they think does put the rice in their bowls? and at the cheap price?

Good that as farang we can set the example about that, everyone equal when it comes time for the curtain closing.

maybe our example make them "others" think again but i only go on hoping, dont think much will ever changesad.png

chok dee to you anyhow thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Isaan is in my humble opinion, is by far the richest part of Thailand. Not in monetary wealth of course, but in it’s culture, ideas, pace and way of life and community spirit. Any of us calling Isaan home, are peculiar in a good way, dare we say more intelligent, adventurous and at peace with who we are? Not the complaining bar hopping types who only seem to take a break from this to complain about this wonderful country, particularly on TV. How many of us know a farang who came ‘up-country’ for just a few days with their latest lady, hated it and vowed never to return? How unfortunate they are, narrow-mindedness has obscured the true value of Isaan.

We can enjoy our lives here and drop into the bigger cities to sample theirs, this doesn’t seem to be done the other way around. We can take stock of why we’re all up here, not just a cheaper country to live in, make the pension go further, we embrace, enjoy and add to our lives and to the lives and people of Isaan.

My roots are slowly being planted here, a few more years working away still to come unfortunately. I just wish it wasn’t so hot. I’m just waiting for air-conditioning to be invented for motorbikes, I’ll buy two!

Let’s keep the secret of Isaan to ourselves? Tell them Isaan is mfr_closed1.gif, they'll probably belive it!

Isaan is in my humble opinion, is by far the richest part of Thailand. Not in monetary wealth of course, but in it’s culture, ideas, pace and way of life and community spirit. Any of us calling Isaan home, are peculiar in a good way, dare we say more intelligent, adventurous and at peace with who we are? Not the complaining bar hopping types who only seem to take a break from this to complain about this wonderful country, particularly on TV. How many of us know a farang who came ‘up-country’ for just a few days with their latest lady, hated it and vowed never to return? How unfortunate they are, narrow-mindedness has obscured the true value of Isaan.

We can enjoy our lives here and drop into the bigger cities to sample theirs, this doesn’t seem to be done the other way around. We can take stock of why we’re all up here, not just a cheaper country to live in, make the pension go further, we embrace, enjoy and add to our lives and to the lives and people of Isaan.

My roots are slowly being planted here, a few more years working away still to come unfortunately. I just wish it wasn’t so hot. I’m just waiting for air-conditioning to be invented for motorbikes, I’ll buy two!

Let’s keep the secret of Isaan to ourselves? Tell them Isaan is mfr_closed1.gif, they'll probably belive it!

Some people just cannot live in Isaan, it doesn't have the western luxuries their lifestyle needs. Nothing wrong in that - horses for courses.

I prefer the pace of life in my part of Isaan but I would never over-play the cultural side. Home is where the heart is and if my missus came from Chiang Mai I would be living there.

• Like 2

I think to live in Isaan, where we don't necessarily have all of the comforts of home, you need a certain amount of tolerance and acceptance. As we really do need to adopt the mantra of Mai Pen Rai, without which we'd be clawing at the walls.

Once we do that, there's not really much to complain about. That's not to say that we don't complain, because as with life everywhere, there's always something you can complain about. But when we do, we'll complain to our wives, or grumble a little, but we don't really put our heart into it, as we accept the way things are. We all know, that if we want the comforts of our home country, we can move back to farangland or to a tourist area, although we'd probably complain twice as much if we were there (and pay four times as much for the privilege).

I lived in Chiangmai (and loved it) for 15 years. I met my Isaan partner there; he is a Thai/Khmer from Buriram, so now we live in Buriram, and that's fine too. In different places I do different things, always something of an individualist; so long as my life includes birdwatching, dogs, and plenty of books (and the right person), I shall always be content. Each place I live in has so many new things to offer, and so many different kinds of people. The one principle I have tried to follow throughout my life is never to go back to the same place after you have left it. I loved Singapore when I lived there, but when I went back after many years, I found it, well, just too perfect. I loved Hong Kong, and when I went back there, I just wanted to get back to Thailand. Now I love Isaan... and it may well be my final stop.

Keep it coming Isaaners. I enjoy reading about Isaan village life. At the moment, I'm stuck living in Pattaya, if you'll forgive me. My TGF has responsibilities here. But in the next 1-3 years we will be looking for a place to live up in your parts. By the way, I've toured most of the Isaan provinces so I'm a bit familiar with things there. I do miss Nakhon Phanom, Ubon and Khon Kaen. But I also miss mountains, rivers and valleys, which you don't get here, unless you're talking about emotional landscape.

I lived in Chiangmai (and loved it) for 15 years. I met my Isaan partner there; he is a Thai/Khmer from Buriram, so now we live in Buriram, and that's fine too. In different places I do different things, always something of an individualist; so long as my life includes birdwatching, dogs, and plenty of books (and the right person), I shall always be content. Each place I live in has so many new things to offer, and so many different kinds of people. The one principle I have tried to follow throughout my life is never to go back to the same place after you have left it. I loved Singapore when I lived there, but when I went back after many years, I found it, well, just too perfect. I loved Hong Kong, and when I went back there, I just wanted to get back to Thailand. Now I love Isaan... and it may well be my final stop.

I felt the same when I lived and worked in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur in the past. I just recently returned to Singapore and as well to KL and I could not live again in those two cities. I am now living for the past 2 years in Sakon Nakhon and I have never been more happy in my life. I have a very caring wife who is also my best friend and the villagers treat me most of the time as one of them. My in-laws accept me as their real son in law and they will go that extra mile to make me feel home. In the next few days we expect a baby boy and we both feel very fortunate of having each other.

I have found a new meaning of life when I moved two years ago to Isaan.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

Keep it coming Isaaners. I enjoy reading about Isaan village life. At the moment, I'm stuck living in Pattaya, if you'll forgive me. My TGF has responsibilities here. But in the next 1-3 years we will be looking for a place to live up in your parts. By the way, I've toured most of the Isaan provinces so I'm a bit familiar with things there. I do miss Nakhon Phanom, Ubon and Khon Kaen. But I also miss mountains, rivers and valleys, which you don't get here, unless you're talking about emotional landscape.

You said emotional landscapethumbsup.gif

bit over the top generalization of anyone that don't live in Isaan?

...lots of other rural happily crazy expats methinks......crazy.gif .

.....gonna go into the farm and eat worms now!!!unsure.png

You are absolute correct. I know of many expats living in Songhkla, Chiang Mai etc. but you normally don't find them hanging around in the TV Isaan forum.

You are absolute correct. I know of many expats living in Songhkla, Chiang Mai etc. but you normally don't find them hanging around in the TV Isaan forum.

Chuckle.. biggrin.png What does this comparison tell us?

Chuckle.. biggrin.png What does this comparison tell us?

That you want to eat some more worms? biggrin.png

I love Isaan, I spent a good few months living in a small village called Phusing and it was some of the best months of my life. My wife and I currently live in England and are happy but Isaan truly is a wonderful place. The pace of life and the culture and the acceptance both myself and my brother (who also lived with us) was second to none. I really believe its the true Thailand if such a thing exists.

I spent hours reading books helping in the Garden playing with the animals and small children. Also the parties were great fun I had the greatest new years eve of my life in that small village. Isaan will always have a special place in my heart and I can't wait to visit again once my son is slightly older so he too can experience that way of life and meet his family.

I too believe that speaking the lingo helps, I speak a fairly good mix of Thai and Laos and it really gives you more of an insight and understanding of things. Isaan will most probably be on my list of places to retire too, but that’s a looooong way off.

P.S just realised this is my first post on this forum, I have read it for years but never contributed however this post really made me think of what a wonderful place it is and how lucky I am to have experienced it and will continue to do so. Also the Woman of Isaan are in my opinion the most beautiful ladies in the world.

Edited by jacktor27
  • Like 1

We have a home in Udon city. Have all the western amenities, the city has lots to offer, and its all countryside just outside the ring road. Close to Laos, the most of the rest of TL is just an hours flight away, people are friendly, inexpensive golf course nearby. Only thing missing is the crush of humanity. A pretty good setup IMO.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

By the sounds of it.....I should have looked in Issan, as well FIRST !!!!

But I didnt, so here I am, miles from any decent english conversation, but happy on the property doing my thing.

I never realised until i have read this Post, that there are many of us with the same goals and level of happiness.

Hope to meet some of you one day......before i am too bloody old...LOL