Hwy-1340 To Doi Angkhang

T_Dog

We took an overnight trip to Doi Angkhang and I thought I would try to learn how to upload larger photos and post a few photos. HWY-1340 is one of the most beautiful roads in Northern Thailand and only a few hours north of Chiang Mai.

North of Chiang Dao, we headed north on 1178 heading toward Arunothai which is where HWY-1340 starts. It climbs and tops out on the ridges you see in the distance here for some 40 kilometers of fantastic scenery.

8247692391_1a1c325dff_b.jpg

• Like 2

We hit Arunothai and see the influence of the KMT as we see signs written in Chinese. It always amazes me how quickly the culture of the land can change over a few dozen kilometers. We also hit the last section of straight road we will see for a while. 8247693063_e41dd72891_b.jpg

8248761094_8ed4aca054_b.jpg

The road finally starts to climb and twist and we enjoy the drive. The sky is stellar blue and a perfect day for the ride. There is never a moment where we are not turning, shifting, braking, and looking out for the rare oncoming car. We finally top out on the ridge and are rewarded with some great views.8248769896_2518c799d5_b.jpg

8248762036_e6d02dc324_b.jpg8247697107_c3f264661a_b.jpg8247701369_ac3d379343_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Photo,s, I Have driven up and want to go back. Looking towards Myanmar from the top gave me a feeling of being in some Lost World. Took what seemed like minutes to descend compared to the crawl up. The Taxis at the Highway junction all warned that the road was very dangerous but it was no problem. Rather me driving than someone I dont know driving up in a clapped out Taxi.

• Like 1

We arrive in Doi Anghang village and find the streets deserted which is common for the daylight hours. Six years ago we were here and had to walk up 200 steps to a room but this time we find a guesthouse right downtown. In the evening, throngs of people from Bangkok and elsewhere will be walking around drinking hot tea and eating roasted yams. More photos later.8247707323_6a83006d8a_b.jpg8248775594_fb54952df1_b.jpg

Nice Photo,s, I Have driven up and want to go back. Looking towards Myanmar from the top gave me a feeling of being in some Lost World. Took what seemed like minutes to descend compared to the crawl up. The Taxis at the Highway junction all warned that the road was very dangerous but it was no problem. Rather me driving than someone I dont know driving up in a clapped out Taxi.

Yes, that is the feeling we get too. There are two ways to get up there and the most popular is from the road to Fang. HWY-1340 comes in from the south. The road to the Fang side is much steeper.

The temperature in Angkhang Village drops like a rock with the clear sky, and it is not uncommon to see frost on windshields in the morning during cold season. We have an excellent dinner of Yunnan noodles and chicken and then have what seems like a huge spider walking over our plates. I shoo it off and see that it is a stick bug almost a foot long. (You can see his eyes glowing in the photo.) After dinner, we walk around the village like everybody else and sample some ginger and anise tea.8248778984_1bd5abd5cd_b.jpg8247712207_1c91755567_b.jpg

• Like 1

We leave in the morning after the sun warms things up but have to wait for some horses to clear the street. We wonder if they might be descended from the original stock the Chinese rode into Thailand in the '50s. Heading down the steep HWY 1249 with those lovely off camber switchbacks, we see dozens of people gawking at the "sea fog" below. (Shouldn't that be a sea of fog?) It is another blue sky day and we do a short tack north on the busy -107 and then head east on HWY 109 to get to HWY 118.8247720655_baa20ac55d_b.jpg8247713497_63ae6838a0_b.jpg8248786576_712fe4da5d_b.jpg8248787542_7697387cce_b.jpg

• Like 2

After touring the Chiang Rai Winery (which took about a minute), we head south on HWY 118 for 40 km until we reach HWY 1150 and head west toward Phrao. This ends up being the most pleasant surprise of the trip, as the road is through remote mountains with fantastic curves, views at every turn, and 50 kilometers of some of the most fun motorcycling I have found in Northern Thailand. From Phrao we head to Mae Ngat Dam for an early dinner and short hop home. Blue skies have been with us for two days and we have managed to avoid traffic for the most part. A great trip and worth getting out of your air-conditioned concrete box at any time of the year.

8248790922_542c0ac1dd_b.jpg8248791384_806eca7575_b.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome trip report T-Dog, my old bike which was the same exact model is now somewhere in Malaysia getting ridden into the ground by a nice Czechoslavakian fellow. Glad to see yours is still going strong.

T_Dog, as always, enjoy your trip report. Beautiful pictures and account!

How I envy you guys being able to explore places riding through scenic routes on your motorbike. It:s refreshing just looking at the pictures. I could amost smell the fresh air.

My wife will never ride pinon on a bike but perhaps one day I might charm her in letting me buy a bike to ride on my own... Tough!

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Did the same trip 25 Nov, I have a house 14 km from Aronathai.

When did you go, I saw a falang on bike up there.

I usually go to Aronathai every second day when I'm up there to eat Yunnan food.

Went through there the morning of Tuesday, 4 December. That is a great area to live and we are headed back up in January for more exploring. So surprising to see so little traffic on the -1340 when the rest of Northern Thailand is jammed with tourists. So I can see why you would notice a foreigner!wink.png

Went through there the morning of Tuesday, 4 December. That is a great area to live and we are headed back up in January for more exploring. So surprising to see so little traffic on the -1340 when the rest of Northern Thailand is jammed with tourists. So I can see why you would notice a foreigner!wink.png

If you go on a Friday, there's a big market in Aronathai 5.30 AM - midday.

Amazing mix of people.

This trip is also perfectly feasible in a car. We've driven the 1340 a few times and I quite agree with you that it is a stunning drive and rarely busy with traffic. The 109 that you mention, goes through Doi Wawee, which is coffee and tea country (as in the coffee shop chain) and the village (Pa Daet I think) is a Chinese speaking village (some Bangkok Chinese families send their kids there to learn Chinese). There's great Chinese food, some VERY high end Strawberries (for sale to Japan - in the shop they were 250 Baht a punnet!) and more great views. The 1150 must be a particular bikers road as when we drove it in the car I found it to a be a rather laborious journey with too much traffic to make it enjoyable.

Sorry to intrude on a 'bikers thread' but I just wanted to increase accessibility to this beautiful area. Thanks for posting the photos. The North is amazing especially at this time of year

This trip is also perfectly feasible in a car...

Sorry to intrude on a 'bikers thread' but I just wanted to increase accessibility to this beautiful area. Thanks for posting the photos. The North is amazing especially at this time of year

I don't think you are intruding at all. Not everyone has the liberty to ride a bike.

Your inf is great and thanks!

This trip is also perfectly feasible in a car...

I don't think you are intruding at all. Not everyone has the liberty to ride a bike.

Your inf is great and thanks!

I agree muchogra. There is so much to see outside the city of Chiang Mai and I am going to have to check out that market that poorsucker mentions too. I understand that there are ethnic groups in that area that are not even named. It is the Wild West of Thailand! Here is another photo of downtown Angkhang village.

8248776626_afc4e2407b_b.jpg

T_Dog, I agree totally that there are so much to see outside the city. It's a pity if one just confines to the city and its viscinity only. After seeing the downhill trip videos by poorsuckers I fully understand why motorcycle riders who often explore the countryside need the geared ones instead of the automatics.

T_Dog, do you think that lone dog in downtown Angkhang will remember you the next time?laugh.png

poorsucker, nice videos. Thanks.

T_Dog, I agree totally that there are so much to see outside the city. It's a pity if one just confines to the city and its viscinity only. After seeing the downhill trip videos by poorsuckers I fully understand why motorcycle riders who often explore the countryside need the geared ones instead of the automatics.

T_Dog, do you think that lone dog in downtown Angkhang will remember you the next time?laugh.png

poorsucker, nice videos. Thanks.

Even in a car you need to go downhill on your gears and not using brakes (I leaned that to my cost a few years ago coming down from Doi Mae Salong on the steep road and my brakes caught fire). An automatic car is fine (that's what we've got) just use the manual override and go downhill in 1st or 2nd. Not sure how that would work on an automatic bike.