Hundreds Of Thai Schools Close After Teacher Attacks

Lite Beer

Are you daft or just overly reticent to admit that this is the work of Muslim terrorists?

You call SE Asian Muslims "laid-back?" I would hate to see what the overly focused, gregarious SE Asian Muslim is capable of.

You then postulate that they are the work of "organized crime" or "separationist militias" which is comical at best.

Listen, I have several friends that are Muslim that would decry such behavior but at the same time would tell you that there are militant Muslims intent on terrorist activities - which is what this is.

Yeah, SE Asian muslims I've found tend to be laid-back; the ones I know practice a live-and-let-live life, and have even offered to arrange a Muslim wife for me. The dictators are mostly in the middle least. The ones here I've found mostly quite friendly and civilized - anyways that's the stereotype I've made after numerous encounters. They actually call me by my first name rather than "you" or "falang", which is very refreshing and welcoming. In fact, walking into a Muslim restaurant in Yala province, I was told, in a warm voice in passa angrit, "Welcome, brother, please come in." Have you all ever encountered this kind of hospitality in a non-Muslim restaurant here?

This is all ironic since I've heard both Hindus and Buddhists talk about Muslims as being nothing more than sword-wielding rats, but actually I've had more positive experiences per capita with SE Asian Muslims (Myanmar/Thai/Malaysian, and Chinese for that matter) than with SE Asian Hindus or Buddhists, who nearly always are out to get something from you. I don't think it's coincidence that the most civilized places/people I've come across in this part of the world have been Muslim. This is why the anti-Islamic "feed them swine" people on here seem completely hypocritical when they insult Islam or talk about Muslims being uneducated, when they obviously have 0 clue of the levels of civilization achieved by Islamic cultures. Do some research folks.

Not to justify terroristic methods by either side, but I stick with my original statements. The terrorist groups are reported to be connected with "organized crime" in the form of drug trafficking, and they want an Islam-controlled state in the south, which is why it's appropriate to describe them as separationist. Having seen both sides of the Thai/Malay border in that region, I don't blame them for wanting to get rid of control by Bangkok. Not to justify terroristic methods by either side.

Actually I rode through this region by train and bus today. FYI they're operating Islamic schools in the rural areas (students in the full garb), while the Thai "wittaya" schools are mostly closed, except a few of the schools inside of the larger cities - in the cities of Narathiwat and Pattani I saw government schools open.

Did they mention that a conversion came with a muslim wife?

"FYI they're operating Islamic schools in the rural areas (students in the full garb), while the Thai "wittaya" schools are mostly closed,...."

Do you not understand that the reason for the school attacks, is so that the only alternative is a muslim school with full garb and intensive indoctrination in the religion? Very few children will accept religion after they get past the evolutionary necessity "Believe your elders" phase and start to develop trust in their own observations and logic.

"FYI they're operating Islamic schools in the rural areas (students in the full garb), while the Thai "wittaya" schools are mostly closed,...."

Do you not understand that the reason for the school attacks, is so that the only alternative is a muslim school with full garb and intensive indoctrination in the religion? Very few children will accept religion after they get past the evolutionary necessity "Believe your elders" phase and start to develop trust in their own observations and logic.

Islam means "surrender to the will of god". No conversion necessary for me.

They also seem somewhat accepting of homosexuality, at least the Myanmar Muslims I know. Maybe even more accepting than typical western cultures since they don't seem to have the shame/homophobic attitude.

And yes, I understand that they don't want to be taught by Bangkok-created (Buddhist) curriculum. I wonder what they're teaching them in those schools that are operating (I read reports on another page of Islamic schools in Indonesia teaching bomb-making techniques).

People here in Yala/Narathiwat don't talk about it, other than saying it's safe for visitors - also Malays across the border come here for karaoke and presumably bargirls, and also insist it's safe despite reports of bombings. The Thai soldiers on the train seemed friendly and good-natured as well. Maybe the more adventurous TVers on here should check it out for themselves down here. Kelantan and Terranganu just south of the Thai border have long been centers for Islamic study.

Edited by squarethecircle
  • Like 1

Are you daft or just overly reticent to admit that this is the work of Muslim terrorists?

You call SE Asian Muslims "laid-back?" I would hate to see what the overly focused, gregarious SE Asian Muslim is capable of.

You then postulate that they are the work of "organized crime" or "separationist militias" which is comical at best.

Listen, I have several friends that are Muslim that would decry such behavior but at the same time would tell you that there are militant Muslims intent on terrorist activities - which is what this is.

Yeah, SE Asian muslims I've found tend to be laid-back; the ones I know practice a live-and-let-live life, and have even offered to arrange a Muslim wife for me. The dictators are mostly in the middle least. The ones here I've found mostly quite friendly and civilized - anyways that's the stereotype I've made after numerous encounters. They actually call me by my first name rather than "you" or "falang", which is very refreshing and welcoming. In fact, walking into a Muslim restaurant in Yala province, I was told, in a warm voice in passa angrit, "Welcome, brother, please come in." Have you all ever encountered this kind of hospitality in a non-Muslim restaurant here?

This is all ironic since I've heard both Hindus and Buddhists talk about Muslims as being nothing more than sword-wielding rats, but actually I've had more positive experiences per capita with SE Asian Muslims (Myanmar/Thai/Malaysian, and Chinese for that matter) than with SE Asian Hindus or Buddhists, who nearly always are out to get something from you. I don't think it's coincidence that the most civilized places/people I've come across in this part of the world have been Muslim. This is why the anti-Islamic "feed them swine" people on here seem completely hypocritical when they insult Islam or talk about Muslims being uneducated, when they obviously have 0 clue of the levels of civilization achieved by Islamic cultures. Do some research folks.

Not to justify terroristic methods by either side, but I stick with my original statements. The terrorist groups are reported to be connected with "organized crime" in the form of drug trafficking, and they want an Islam-controlled state in the south, which is why it's appropriate to describe them as separationist. Having seen both sides of the Thai/Malay border in that region, I don't blame them for wanting to get rid of control by Bangkok. Not to justify terroristic methods by either side.

Actually I rode through this region by train and bus today. FYI they're operating Islamic schools in the rural areas (students in the full garb), while the Thai "wittaya" schools are mostly closed, except a few of the schools inside of the larger cities - in the cities of Narathiwat and Pattani I saw government schools open.

Also worth noting that it was only after persistent complaints that Thai Muslims in the government schools were permitted to wear their traditional head covering, the hijab. It would not have been very encouraging for the Muslim community to attend the government schools with this level of discrimination

• Like 2

Well, I have no experience living in Yala or southern areas of Thailand as you do. However, a terrorist act is a terrorist act, period.

You post, quote: 'The terrorist groups are reported to be connected with "organized crime" in the form of drug trafficking, and they want an Islam-controlled state in the south, which is why it's appropriate to describe them as separationist.'

Where are your sources coming from? Are you saying these peaceful Thai teachers being gunned down are part of a drug deal gone bad? Are the teachers part of organized crime? Makes no sense AT ALL.

These teachers are perceived as a Buddhist culture and a threat to Muslim teachings, plain and simple.

This topic needs to go Global.........relying on the Government , or it's agencies, to apply a solution, just is not going to happen here...

It's so tragic that the local people in the area have to endure these horrific conditions day in and day out, and no-one in the government is concerned........"beef up security".....thats's the usual response which is meaningless!

Recent history elsewhere has proved that the best way to get to the bottom of this is to start talking!

• Like 2

Islam means "surrender to the will of god". No conversion necessary for me.

They also seem somewhat accepting of homosexuality, at least the Myanmar Muslims I know. Maybe even more accepting than typical western cultures since they don't seem to have the shame/homophobic attitude.

And yes, I understand that they don't want to be taught by Bangkok-created (Buddhist) curriculum. I wonder what they're teaching them in those schools that are operating (I read reports on another page of Islamic schools in Indonesia teaching bomb-making techniques).

People here in Yala/Narathiwat don't talk about it, other than saying it's safe for visitors - also Malays across the border come here for karaoke and presumably bargirls, and also insist it's safe despite reports of bombings. The Thai soldiers on the train seemed friendly and good-natured as well. Maybe the more adventurous TVers on here should check it out for themselves down here. Kelantan and Terranganu just south of the Thai border have long been centers for Islamic study.

I would certainly do a bit more research before considering marrying a muslim if I were you. If nothing else, your travel together to muslim countries could be restricted, especially to Malaysia. Any children would also be considered muslim from birth, irrevocably. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interfaith_marriage_in_Islam

The problem with government schools is not the buddhist content (AFAIK quite limited) but the lack of muslim content, and yes, bomb-making classes.

Where are your sources coming from? Are you saying these peaceful Thai teachers being gunned down are part of a drug deal gone bad? Are the teachers part of organized crime? Makes no sense AT ALL.

These teachers are perceived as a Buddhist culture and a threat to Muslim teachings, plain and simple.

Regarding the smuggling connections, it's mentioned in news sources, plus putting two-and-two together (K9 police at Malay border for example). Areas here are effectively not under control of the central government (much like areas in northern Laos and Shan/Kachin/Arakan states of Myanmar). There are army outposts and patrols specifically through the Thai Buddhist areas (which have karaoke shops, beer, pork, etc) but not through the Muslim areas. Malaysian authorities have similar corruption as Thai authorities and the area has long history of trade with Indonesia/Oz/Indian subcontinent. Also there are many fancy Mercedes cars with mujahadeen looking men (oil money?), and Islamic banks intimately connected with mosques. It's also on a route from Myanmar to Kuala Lumpur where there have multi-kilo smack and ice arrests recently.

What RobSamui said above is very accurate, glad someone else can see it for what's going on. But I think it's a little more complicated than that, there are also organized crime groups connected here and also maintaining their territory.

Not suggesting the teachers were part of this, that's clearly what you say it is, terrorism against central Thai governance. There have also been attacks made against mosques, which also fits the definition of terrorism. Using fear to achieve a desired end.

Ya'll seem to think the separatists here are connected with militant Islam elsewhere, such as Pakistan/Afghanistan/Sudan, etc. Can you find any evidence of this online? Actually there seems to be no interest by western intelligence agencies in what's going on here, besides issuing travel warnings, which suggests there isn't, and its mostly along the lines of what robsamui makes it out to be, people standing up for their rights.

I could care less about the minutiae of Afghanistan, the embattled Israeli community or any other ill-mentioned countries you brought up.

YOU said that these murders were part of a drug smuggling problem or organized crime.

WHY then are teachers FREQUENTLY targeted?

Will you have us believe these murders have nothing to do with religion? Please.giggle.gif

I have no "knee-jerk" reaction, as you call it, to the word Muslim. Youre barking up the wrong tree.

I have many friends that are Muslim, have read the Quran and have a fair amount of knowledge with the Muslim faith.

I have no faith in the trite nonsense youre postulating.

Edited by Scott

Regarding the smuggling connections, it's mentioned in news sources, plus putting two-and-two together (K9 police at Malay border for example). Areas here are effectively not under control of the central government (much like areas in northern Laos and Shan/Kachin/Arakan states of Myanmar). There are army outposts and patrols specifically through the Thai Buddhist areas (which have karaoke shops, beer, pork, etc) but not through the Muslim areas. Malaysian authorities have similar corruption as Thai authorities and the area has long history of trade with Indonesia/Oz/Indian subcontinent. Also there are many fancy Mercedes cars with mujahadeen looking men (oil money?), and Islamic banks intimately connected with mosques. It's also on a route from Myanmar to Kuala Lumpur where there have multi-kilo smack and ice arrests recently.

What RobSamui said above is very accurate, glad someone else can see it for what's going on. But I think it's a little more complicated than that, there are also organized crime groups connected here and also maintaining their territory.

Not suggesting the teachers were part of this, that's clearly what you say it is, terrorism against central Thai governance. There have also been attacks made against mosques, which also fits the definition of terrorism. Using fear to achieve a desired end.

Ya'll seem to think the separatists here are connected with militant Islam elsewhere, such as Pakistan/Afghanistan/Sudan, etc. Can you find any evidence of this online? Actually there seems to be no interest by western intelligence agencies in what's going on here, besides issuing travel warnings, which suggests there isn't, and its mostly along the lines of what robsamui makes it out to be, people standing up for their rights.

I could care less about the minutiae of Afghanistan, the embattled Israeli community or any other ill-mentioned countries you brought up.

YOU said that these murders were part of a drug smuggling problem or organized crime.

WHY then are teachers FREQUENTLY targeted?

Will you have us believe these murders have nothing to do with religion? Please.giggle.gif

I have no "knee-jerk" reaction, as you call it, to the word Muslim. Youre barking up the wrong tree.

I have many friends that are Muslim, have read the Quran and have a fair amount of knowledge with the Muslim faith.

The claim is that teachers are perceived as representing the Thai government. Apparently the Thai government is not responding/listening to requests that the curricula is taught in the local language, as well as claims the government schools are being used to dilute the history/culture of the region. None of this justifies the murder of 150+ teachers since the re emergence of the conflict.

According to a media report the latest two attacks on teachers are in revenge for the murder, a few months ago, of a teacher from an Islamic school and an Imam . Doesn't make it "right", but for sure their are extra judicial killings being carried out by Thai government agencies.

In today's BKK Post, Yingluck will again be visiting the region, one of the announcements is education programs for women in the local community, One program is to gain qualifications to be able to qualify for local government positions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

WHY then are teachers FREQUENTLY targeted? ill you have us believe these murders have nothing to do with religion? Please.giggle.gif

I never said these murders were part of organized crime. Apparently the main issue, particularly with the teacher killings, is the Siamese occupation of Malay-Muslim Pattani. But every time one of these attacks happens people jump on the Anti-Muslim board and act like it's Al-Qaeda style terrorism, perhaps due to western media propaganda about Buddhists being peaceful and Muslims being jihadists. According to what locals say vis-a-vis websites and news broadcasts on youtube, there are Thai Buddhist revenge squads that make attacks (with impunity) against Malay-Muslims as well. Most of the dead are Muslims, though Thai Buddhists make up a disproportionate amount of the dead.

There ARE billions of baht of money for the powerful Thais involved (keep in mind that the price of a hit man in Bangkok is reportedly as low as several thousand baht). So yes, money plays a big part of the thing, and entrenched people for whom continued conflict is profitable have no motivation to take actual steps to end the war. So yes, there is an organized crime connection, though I agree, the teacher killings are a separate issue. The fact that a lot of the attacks, particularly against Muslims (such as grenades thrown in mosques, or Tak Bai, etc) are never solved, in spite of the police state/martial law imposed there, makes it clear that there are power players involved, and I think it's fair to call these people (who are Thai, not Malay-Muslim) organized criminals.

Your and other TVers' insistence that this is primarily a religious war does not match up with the facts, however. Actually, if you want to know which side is right, compare how Malay-Muslims are treated by the Siamese in Pattani (you can read Amnesty International's reports on this) with how the Siamese are treated inside Malaysia. This shows clearly who's on the right side in Pattani.

Edited by squarethecircle

WHY then are teachers FREQUENTLY targeted? ill you have us believe these murders have nothing to do with religion? Please.giggle.gif

I never said these murders were part of organized crime. Apparently the main issue, particularly with the teacher killings, is the Siamese occupation of Malay-Muslim Pattani. But every time one of these attacks happens people jump on the Anti-Muslim board and act like it's Al-Qaeda style terrorism, perhaps due to western media propaganda about Buddhists being peaceful and Muslims being jihadists. According to what locals say vis-a-vis websites and news broadcasts on youtube, there are Thai Buddhist revenge squads that make attacks (with impunity) against Malay-Muslims as well. Most of the dead are Muslims, though Thai Buddhists make up a disproportionate amount of the dead.

There ARE billions of baht of money for the powerful Thais involved (keep in mind that the price of a hit man in Bangkok is reportedly as low as several thousand baht). So yes, money plays a big part of the thing, and entrenched people for whom continued conflict is profitable have no motivation to take actual steps to end the war. So yes, there is an organized crime connection, though I agree, the teacher killings are a separate issue. The fact that a lot of the attacks, particularly against Muslims (such as grenades thrown in mosques, or Tak Bai, etc) are never solved, in spite of the police state/martial law imposed there, makes it clear that there are power players involved, and I think it's fair to call these people (who are Thai, not Malay-Muslim) organized criminals.

Your and other TVers' insistence that this is primarily a religious war does not match up with the facts, however. Actually, if you want to know which side is right, compare how Malay-Muslims are treated by the Siamese in Pattani (you can read Amnesty International's reports on this) with how the Siamese are treated inside Malaysia. This shows clearly who's on the right side in Pattani.

Ill take your advice and read the Amnesty Int'l report.

Cheers.