Ex-Thai Prime Minister Abhisit ' To Face Murder Charge ': Officials

webfact

Er...........

Maybe he authorised lethal force in the full knowledge that it would almost certainly result in deaths.

Deaths of unarmed Thai civilians.

Busy tonight eh ???

That doesn't mean that was his aim.

Why are police armed? Why do they have live bullets? Does the fact that they're sent out armed every day and night mean that their superiors are guilty of pre-meditated murder?

Irrelevant and you know it.

Like I said it's a busy night...........

Why is irrelevant? The army were out there fighting against armed protesters. Why shouldn't they be armed?

Busy? Obviously not. Plenty of time to post here.

Quite.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like your implication that it was some how his fault for having the gall to go outside.

Like the army have no responsibility for discharging their weapons................

Nice try.

It's not so much that he had the gall to go outside. It's just unfortunate that he chose a time when the soldiers were dealing with a van that was speeding towards them.

• Like 1

I quite like your implication that it was some how his fault for having the gall to go outside.

Like the army have no responsibility for discharging their weapons................

Nice try.

It's not so much that he had the gall to go outside. It's just unfortunate that he chose a time when the soldiers were dealing with a van that was speeding towards them.

LOL and what about the other 89

Speeding vans too

unless he pulled the trigger he didn't murder anyone - rediculous

If a Thai soldier on the ground was trigger happy and there's evidence beyond any reasonable doubt that he killed an inocent taxi driver then he should be brought to court to answer the allegations

only in Thailand

In the U.S. the charge would probably be conspiracy to commit murder. They organized the military crackdown and gave authorization for the military to use "live" rounds on civilians. They both deserve whatever they get.

Some of the protesters were armed, in the leadup to the mass protest there were calls to burn Bangkok, why would anyone expect unarmed personnel to go up against armed protesters? It is sad that anyone on either side of the fence had to die, but why would the unfortunate taxi driver have come running out of the apartment building when he heard weapons being discharged? Who does that? Wouldn't most people have stayed safely inside for a good length of time after the shooting in that area had stopped before going out to have a look?

Sent from my GT-I9003

Nice try.

That wasn't my intention, just trying to understand why someone would go running outside while weapons are being discharged? Perhaps they sounded furthet away than they actually were, who knows

Sent from my GT-I9003

Nice try.

LOL and what about the other 89

Speeding vans too

When they release the details of the other 89, we can discuss them.

Nice try.

Er.

Not true.

Nice try again.

Nice try.

Er.

Not true.

Nice try again.

What isn't true about it?

"It was the job of the government of that day to also restore order," I was there, I saw it, I totally agree.

It is always the job of government to maintain order. That's a given. The issue is about how it is done. Force has to be proportional. That's what separates the Assads from the leaders of more democratic nations (most of the time, at least).

What do you think is the proportionate response to attacks with assault rifles, grenades and RPGs?

I've heard of the fog of war but mistaking a slingshot for an assault rifle, grenade or RPG would in my opinion be hard to do even for a seasoned armchair warrior, let alone trained army personnel.

• Like 1

Did the court really say this on the 17th of September in their ruling?

""Phan Kamkong, 43, was caught in a volley of gunfire when he ran out of a central Bangkok apartment block to see what was happening after hearing soldiers open fire at a minibus that had strayed into an area under army control, a Thai criminal court found.""

http://www.thaivisa....-death-inquest/

Some here seem to doubt the accuracy of the 'ran out of a central Bangkok apartment block' in combination with 'to see what was happening' and 'after hearing soldiers open fire at a minibus. Probably the accuracy of airmchair warriors, some who also doubt the grenade stuff. Maybe they should inform the Canadian journalist vanderGrift who got one (a grenade that is) walking around with the wrong crowd on the 19th of May. A real death wish, walking around with the army, as one of our local photo journalists wrote.

unless he pulled the trigger he didn't murder anyone - rediculous

If a Thai soldier on the ground was trigger happy and there's evidence beyond any reasonable doubt that he killed an inocent taxi driver then he should be brought to court to answer the allegations

only in Thailand

Well they certainly should be charged with something. It was they who set their dogs onto the protesters.

• Like 1

Smear campaign, that's all.

agree.

this is just an attempt to tarnish Abhisit's name. it is to make people NOT want to vote for him in the future.

unfortunately, these methods are often a 'little bit' effective (to a certain extent).

Fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows

Smear campaign, that's all.

agree.

this is just an attempt to tarnish Abhisit's name. it is to make people NOT want to vote for him in the future.

unfortunately, these methods are often a 'little bit' effective (to a certain extent).

So they should be for showing the person as he is.

With a big grin and all that I'd like to remind fellow posters that the OP is NOT about k. Thaksin.

It's about k. Abhisit / Suthep facing murder charges when they do follow the summons, which will be send to them by letter, to hear the charges and to be questioned on December 12. With authorities not seeking court permission to detain the men, who are both now opposition lawmakers. Both will no doubt be able to use their MP status to be allowed to go without bail afterwards to await further proceedings.

Assuming this goes similar to the trial where two dozen UDD leaders are charged for terrorism, we will not see much progress in the coming two years or so. Hundreds of witnesses to be called and questioned, an upset stomach, parliament in session again, a few witnesses to be added, etc., etc.

Smedly,

You have to remember that alot of 'farang' in Thailand have come here because they are not accepted in their own countries. They come here and find TV a great place to spout the same old crap that pissed off all the locals back home. Soon enough the Thai's will get pissed off with them too and they will be on their travels again.

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwai.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

lol could be true oh wise one :)

He may be considering using his British passport soon

If Abhisit panics and heads for Britain, and Theresa May gets wind of it before he lands, would she deprive him of British citizenship to avoid embarrassment over the extradition proceedings? Should she?

the worm can turn and the snake can bite. < I tried to find Posts that view it for what is > political gang warfare. Taking sides with the Blues OR the Reds is like choosing a Triad over the Mafia. Bribery and Corruption & the Corruption Musical Chairs is the Main Enemy.

• Like 1

What makes you think the world outside Thailand is even paying attention to the world inside Thailand?

BBC World News today 6/12/2012 ran the Story, of Abhisits Indictment, by PTP.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20621781

Yeah....but who follows the BBC?

Those that prefer unbiased factual reporting! or would you prefer a Thai Television channel?

He may be considering using his British passport soon

If Abhisit panics and heads for Britain, and Theresa May gets wind of it before he lands, would she deprive him of British citizenship to avoid embarrassment over the extradition proceedings? Should she?

Well if they let Thaksin in,they will let anyone in!

"Panic! "wishful thinking on your part, Abhisit is going nowhere,only the crooks and cowards "panic" and go on the run, and Abhisit is too much of a gentleman,who cares about his Country, to do that.

P.S If ? Abhisit has a British Passport,there shouldn't be problem. He would get a job as a very welcome News Reader/Journalist,no problem. Perhaps even a Politician.

2010 VIOLENCE

Abhisit, Suthep to be charged with murder

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- DSI chief says top Democrats are ultimately responsible for taxi driver's death at hands of soldiers in 2010

Abhisit Vejjajiva and his former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban face murder charges over the death of a taxi driver during the red-shirt protest in May 2010, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) said yesterday.

The department will summon the two, who now are MPs of the opposition Democrat Party, to acknowledge the charges next Wednesday before they obtain immunity during the session of Parliament due to begin on December 21, DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said.

A tripartite meeting of the DSI, police and the public prosecutor decided that Abhisit, as the holder of top responsibility in his capacity as prime minister at the time, and Suthep, as director of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), would be charged in accordance with Articles 59, 83, 84 and 288 of the Penal Code, Tarit said.

The decision was based on a recent court judgement that taxi driver Phan Kamkong was shot dead by military personnel during the operation against the protest, he said.

Evidence uncovered during the investigation into the death indicated that during the operation, Abhisit and Suthep ordered the military to use lethal weapons as well as snipers against the protesters, Tarit said.

Suthep gave such orders in writing and claimed he had been instructed to do so by Abhisit, said Tarit, who heads the team investigating the deaths of 91 people during the protest.

"Abhisit as the prime minister knew about the operation, as he stayed in the CRES office all the time," the DSI chief said. "The instructions were issued many times. The order was never stopped although they knew some people had died during the operation.

"Many pieces of evidence indicated that the two responsible persons made the order with the intention of seeing massive fatalities," he said.

Abhisit and Suthep claimed earlier that they had no choice but to take tough action to maintain law and order in the capital. Tarit said such a claim was not rational as they could have used other methods to handle the situation.

"The action was misconduct, as both of them should know very well that using live bullets and snipers could cause the death of protesters."

Asked whether Tarit himself was at the time a member of the CRES, he said he never agreed with the tough action and did not suggest to Abhisit and Suthep that they use weapons against the people.

Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said the DSI charge against Abhisit and Suthep was motivated by politics. The department is abusing its power for political purposes in favour of the government and the red shirts, he said.

The DSI could not say clearly which soldier fired the rifle that killed Phan, he said. "No piece of paper in the CRES [files] ordered any soldier to kill any protesters."

Neither Abhisit, who is now the Democrat leader, nor Suthep, former secretary-general of the party, will run away from justice and they are ready to prove themselves in court, Chavanond said.

Tarit denied that he had handled the case in accordance with political pressure from the government or the red shirts, pointing out that many red-shirt leaders, even those who are members of the Cabinet or MPs, have also been prosecuted.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-07

• Like 1